Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mineral
Apr 10, 2006

¡quiero dulces!

miguelito posted:

Oh boy, Civitas update time!
And this time, they nailed it! Thankfully, they got their poo poo together and really do the proper team introductions. We even see more of their working environment, and an actually really smooth-looking alpha.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1584821767/civitas-plan-develop-and-manage-the-city-of-your-d/posts

...Wait sorry, that was my iguana rolling over the keyboard just right now. Basically the video is the same two guys as always (though they do fill up the screen for five), we have a yellow-tinted wall and a blank Windows desktop poking into the picture.

Let me summarize the content for you: " "

And as always, the main comment section is amazing - full of people that will defend Brandon Smith and his elite developers to the death. The internet is truly a crazy place.

I think that was a Mac. But yeah, zero content and only a short, awkward unprepared statement. And people are upping their pledges because of it. It's scary to think what this guy will actually do with a quarter million dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

mineral posted:

I think that was a Mac. But yeah, zero content and only a short, awkward unprepared statement. And people are upping their pledges because of it. It's scary to think what this guy will actually do with a quarter million dollars.

What's so scary about a quarter million dollars worth of hookers and blow?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
There seems to be enough interest; maybe a better poster than I could try making a separate thread for the Sarkesian videos?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

DoctorTristan posted:

There seems to be enough interest; maybe a better poster than I could try making a separate thread for the Sarkesian videos?

I thought one was linked a page or two back and it was already closed. I really don't think it will go over well. Hell, even I have a hard time not spouting stupid bullshit against detractors to the idea and I'm typically very uninterested in debates online.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

DoctorTristan posted:

I really totally agree. There's an old one that's been gassed, but that was from before they were out. Backseat modding maybe, but personally I'd like to discuss lovely Kickstarters instead of video games as a reflective medium for current social issues...

On-topic, I'm actually half hoping Civitas will get funded right now. I think a more obvious and threadbare KS scam hasn't been tried yet on that scale (at least by people who may even be genuinely convincing themselves they're not scammers), and the inevitable meltdown by delusional backers will be a real hoot to watch.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

A suit that makes it impossible to determine someone's gender is not a problem in and of itself, I personally find suits that have a "normal" male shape and a "special" female shape more of a problem because it makes masculinity into the default and femininity a deviation from that default. You mistake her for a man because gender neutral = man in most peoples minds, and THIS is the problem.

Errr, it's not a "special" shape. The shape with broader shoulders and no visible breasts isn't "default", it's the shape of a man. People assume Samus is a man because the suit has a masculine shape, not a gender neutral shape.

Massive shoulders, no neck, broad chest... Samus' power suit doesn't look androgynous, it looks masculine.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I think the fact that none of the Civitas guys have been tarred and feathered to nearly the same scale is telling, not to continue this debate. To be fair the same crowd backing it isn't the same people who trolled and yet the trolls are silent on this one. Maybe ill change my mind when the punching flash game of these so called devs rears its head

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

man thats gross posted:

Errr, it's not a "special" shape. The shape with broader shoulders and no visible breasts isn't "default", it's the shape of a man. People assume Samus is a man because the suit has a masculine shape, not a gender neutral shape.

Massive shoulders, no neck, broad chest... Samus' power suit doesn't look androgynous, it looks masculine.

It looks completely inhuman is how it looks.

In real life, with poo poo like army combat armour, it's often quite difficult to tell who is wearing it, even when it's tailored for womens' physiques. You lose "visible breasts" and narrow shoulders pretty drat quick when you're layering up clothing and armour, this goes triple for pressure suits like space suits and deep sea diving gear (the nearest comparison we have to the kind of power armour you see in a lot of games). Almost all sci-fi/fantasy female armour is designed to deliberately accentuate aspects of a female shape that real world armour would make substantially less noticeable simply by virtue of it's bulk, in a way that male/default armour is not.

A lot of the things that we interpret as "male" like large size, broadness, lack of a neck etc. are also unavoidable side effects of substantial armour or pressure gear being functional. Things we see as feminine like pronounced curves, breasts, delicacy, and fine features are similarly lost for very practical reasons when armour or pressure gear is worn. So you could say that adding armour gives women a more masculine appearance, because in a way it does. But to me it's still better to have sexless bulky armour all round than "normal" and "girly" versions, because the girly versions are clearly impractical and inconsistent with being functional armour like 90% of the time, and are just there for fan service or to signify deviation from the default

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
Could someone point me in the direction of the awful kickstarter thread? I can't seem to find it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

illiniguy01 posted:

Could someone point me in the direction of the awful kickstarter thread? I can't seem to find it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536652

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

illiniguy01 posted:

So spending a month methodically harassing a mentally retarded man for trying to create a bad game was acceptable, but talking about the fruits of one of the higher-profile Kickstarter successes is off-topic? Holy yoloswag :wtc:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Edit: Don't want to lose my account

Exmond has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Mar 12, 2013

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Annnnd another thread gets infested with sperglords endlessly debating misogyny in video games. Either go and have a proper feminism discussion in D&D, or a proper games discussion in Games, or STFU. Or try and continue it here, and lose your account. tia.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Is there a collective word for awful internet bullshit, like "grognard" is to gamers? I mean stuff like libertarian bitcoin-having fedora-wearing athiest MRAs on reddit. Either way, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/569272765/the-ron-paul-bust-project?ref=search :psyduck:

England, we need to have a talk.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Is there a collective word for awful internet bullshit, like "grognard" is to gamers? I mean stuff like libertarian bitcoin-having fedora-wearing athiest MRAs on reddit. Either way, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/569272765/the-ron-paul-bust-project?ref=search :psyduck:

Ron Paul for UK President, maybe?

RE[VUL]UTION

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I don't follow libertarian politics and know very little about bitcoins but what on earth does being an atheist have to do with associating with awful MRAs or having no fashion sense?

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

$15,000 to combine severely inebriated people and a tank of liquid nitrogen? I'm in.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Orzo posted:

I don't follow libertarian politics and know very little about bitcoins but what on earth does being an atheist have to do with associating with awful MRAs or having no fashion sense?

Because reddit. :v:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Orzo posted:

There's a "faction" of sorts of atheists called New Atheists online, who try to act like they're just not hiding that they're atheists, but are pretty much stereotypical "I'm an atheist because gently caress YOU MOM YOU CAN'T MAKE ME GO TO CHURCH!" atheists who use their atheism as an excuse to be bigots against anyone who's not an upper-middle class or higher white male. Most normal atheists\humanists\agnostics\etc hate them, but they're so obnoxious and loud they've become one of the major voices of atheism. They're basically the atheist equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

kelikar posted:

Isn't that the fundamental success of feminism? Gender being completely irrelevant because men and woman are equal? The fact that she is a female and it doesn't matter in the slightest, I would argue, makes her a very strong female character.

Now come here and get your own Ditty (or thing)!!! Bad clip art included!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rickyjfico/rickys-ditties-and-things-to-inspire-amuse-and-sti?ref=home_location

Oh god this guy is awesome. Enjoy his ditty entitled "Arose to the Occasion":

Ricky posted:

Aromatic and Fresh
to the Eyes, Mouth & Nose
You are in Every Sense
the Most Perfect Rose

Love You Always!

And All the Ways I Can!

I also checked out his ditty-blog about Las Vegas, and found even more gold:

Ricky posted:

Las Vegas, often referred to as Sin City
But a far departure from Sodom and Gomorrah
Las Vegas is like Conrad Twitty
Has more than that place in Florida
Las Vegas, when we get down to the nitty gritty
Has developed a very special formula
People come here for more than the titty
So there’s really no need to warn your ma

In Las Vegas, there’s a lot that’s really pretty
We’ve much more than what’s stuffed in a bra
So, now I want you to take this ditty
And give it to both your ma and pa
Vegas, a place where you may win if you outbid me
Or if you’re a member of Sha Na Na

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

gnarlyhotep posted:

Oh god this guy is awesome. Enjoy his ditty entitled "Arose to the Occasion":

I also checked out his ditty-blog about Las Vegas, and found even more gold:

He must be half Vogan.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

That guy is a national treasure.

I wish I could spend my whole life finding hack artists on KickStarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/861836864/steven-zins-palo-alto-art-show?ref=recently_launched

"Paganism for young ones" 'cause it's never too early to start imposing your views on others:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/561343674/paganism-for-young-ones

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Reached 2% of its goal. Looks like the free market didn't want it. :v:

Orzo posted:

There's a major reddity FYGM misogynist vibe in a lot of Atheist communities. As Natalie Reed put it:

quote:

The creepy thought that the reason a lot of outspoken, committed, passionate atheists are choosing this as their arena is because they’re too selfish, too entitled, or too sheltered, to allow any other issues to really matter to them. That they choose this ONE civil rights issue to dedicate themselves to, because it’s the ONLY legitimate civil rights issue that actually affects them, secure in their absence of ovaries, melanin, exogenous hormones, medical devices/supports, welfare checks, track scars and rainbow flags.
Sounds like the sort of people that might want a bronze Ron Paul bust as their god rationally designated idol.

edit: vvvvvv
I skim-read that as "other than they don't wash or go to church anymore". That fits some of the awful youtube atheists.

Guavanaut has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Mar 13, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
A lot of those terrible ones are like, fundamentalist Chrisitians who have change nothing about themselves other than they don't wasn't to go to church anymore. That's not a comparison, it's literally what they are.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Guavanaut posted:

There's a major reddity FYGM misogynist vibe in a lot of Atheist communities. As Natalie Reed put it:
That's a really dumb stereotype, you might as well say all religious people are homophobic because some of them hate gay people. It's hardly relevant how some atheists on youtube or some corner of reddit act, atheism isn't sort of group or social movement or anything. Anyway the stereotype is about as stupid as this derail, sorry I even brought it up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Orzo posted:

That's a really dumb stereotype, you might as well say all religious people are homophobic because some of them hate gay people. It's hardly relevant how some atheists on youtube or some corner of reddit act, atheism isn't sort of group or social movement or anything. Anyway the stereotype is about as stupid as this derail, sorry I even brought it up.

He said from athiest communities. People who honestly don't give a poo poo about religion don't join communities of other like minded people to discuss how much they don't give a poo poo about religion.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

DoctorPresident posted:

"Paganism for young ones" 'cause it's never too early to start imposing your views on others:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/561343674/paganism-for-young-ones

For only $25, you can receive a self-published ebook done through a vanity publisher with three "this is a scam" warnings on the first page of Google results for their company name. I wonder if the ability to use capital letters in your book is one of their "premium" services.

Lady Gaga
Sep 20, 2009

Sono posted:

For only $25, you can receive a self-published ebook done through a vanity publisher with three "this is a scam" warnings on the first page of Google results for their company name. I wonder if the ability to use capital letters in your book is one of their "premium" services.

And hey spellcheck ain't cheap.

You would think if you had this awful a reputation you would at least create a new company name to hide behind before launching your Kickstarter. And the guy has all of 22 friends on Facebook. Even my grandma has more than 22 friends.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Sono posted:

I like how they've only been funded $6.66.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

AxeManiac posted:

That new ultima game looks awful. I know Ultima games have never really looked good, but man, it is terrible. The font looks terrible, the characters look cheap. I'm not too thrilled about it, not sure it is going to get funded.

They way I see it is that they can't possibly make an Ultima game worse than Ultima IX. (Or could they?) Being such a fan of Ultima in my younger days, I blindly bought the collectors edition of Ultima IX when it game out. The game ran like poo poo on my Nvidia card, so I ended up buying a Voodoo2 card so I could play the game at a decent framerate. Between all the constant crashes and how bad the game was, I never played more than a few hours. It wasn't until recently that I saw the Spoony Experiment retrospective on the Ultima series and found out how much of an abomination Ultima IX actually was. Hopefully without any interference from EA this time, they can pull something decent off.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

Powershift posted:

He said from athiest communities. People who honestly don't give a poo poo about religion don't join communities of other like minded people to discuss how much they don't give a poo poo about religion.
I'm not sure how to put this exactly, but some atheists - particularly in the US - really don't have the option of not giving a poo poo about religion no matter how much they'd like to. Also, how the hell did we end up talking about atheism in the first place? Ron Paul is pretty openly religiously motivated and I suspect a lot of his followers are too; in fact, libertarianism in general seems to be more popular with groups like engineers which aren't generally anti-religious in the way that (say) hacker culture traditionally has been.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I didn't even realize there was a new Kickstarter thread, so I had to catch up last night. What is the deal with that lunchman guy? My feeling is that he doesn't actually have any real mental disability and is just incredibly stupid. Although I'm absolutely astounded by just how stupid. Here's another video of his I found. It only has five views so we're getting in on the ground floor here.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

DeepDickPizza posted:

I didn't even realize there was a new Kickstarter thread, so I had to catch up last night. What is the deal with that lunchman guy? My feeling is that he doesn't actually have any real mental disability and is just incredibly stupid. Although I'm absolutely astounded by just how stupid. Here's another video of his I found. It only has five views so we're getting in on the ground floor here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InglJyt7xJ8

There's something going on here. They're even making these great videos when their projects aren't funded. I have to admire that.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

This really isn't an awful crowdfunding campaign, but I don't know where else to put it.

Lowell Observatory is trying to scrape together just over $250,000 to restore their historic 24-inch Clark Telescope. The telescope was commissioned in 1895, and since it was completed in 1896, it has seen almost constant use. The project uses indiegogo for the flex funding, which I'm assuming will be used to make whatever repairs they can to the telescope with the money they get.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Venusian Weasel posted:

This really isn't an awful crowdfunding campaign, but I don't know where else to put it.

Lowell Observatory is trying to scrape together just over $250,000 to restore their historic 24-inch Clark Telescope. The telescope was commissioned in 1895, and since it was completed in 1896, it has seen almost constant use. The project uses indiegogo for the flex funding, which I'm assuming will be used to make whatever repairs they can to the telescope with the money they get.

This is the awful Kickstarter thread, not the "Tearfully Sad Comment on the State of Public Funding for Scientific History, Education, and Research" thread. Jesus, that's depressing. It's even more depressing when you realize that they probably chose Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter specifically because they think it's going to fail and would rather just have the flexible funding (nonprofits are fine on Kickstarter as long as they're not after general funds but money for a project).

This is like seeing a former professor of yours panhandling in the streets. You pass him and only just barely recognize his bearded face behind the filth. "I'll... I'll suck your dick for ten bucks." He says. You tell him your name. You tell him that you were once a student of his and he was once your favorite teacher, who inspired you and thousands of others to do and learn great things. You wait for some sort of explanation, but he only barely mumbles something about losing Pluto and then replies, "Okay. Then I'll suck your dick for five dollars."

The loving Lowell observatory, a national landmark, shouldn't have to whore itself out for money among the filth at Indiegogo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Venusian Weasel posted:

If Gender Bender extreme has taught me anything, they need to appeal to someones fetish to make this money up. Maybe for a thousand bucks they'll point it at your apartment for the exhibitionists.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Venusian Weasel posted:

Man I've never gone there, I'm never going there, but that is such a kick in the gut, I can't not give them some money.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Featured projects:
Sonic Vibrator
Board Game that requires the use of multiple smart phones

Not a featured project:
Restoring the Clark Telescope

Indie GoGo everyone.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

lil mortimer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InglJyt7xJ8

There's something going on here. They're even making these great videos when their projects aren't funded. I have to admire that.

I'm telling you, this guy is going to be on Letterman in 5 years or less. He's always smiling. Just can't put a dude down who's that into life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Venusian Weasel posted:

While looking at how indiegogo handles non-profits, I found something interesting. Their article is here:

http://support.indiegogo.com/entries/20557666-How-to-Raise-Funds-for-a-501-c-3-Nonprofit

Indiegogo campaigns for a non-profit are automatically setup as flexible funding. The article doesn't mention whether or not you can just go back to fixed. At any rate, I agree that Lowell Observatory could use whatever money people donate anyway.... however, some of the rewards (like the $500 and up) are contingent on the campaign being (more or less) successful.

EDIT: I mean, sure, they can just put up some more paint and hold a grand re-opening but that's probably not the vision they had in mind.