Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Custom-modding an entire city and then destroying it with a natural disaster sounds fun, I guess? :shrug: The game almost sounds like a cross between SimCity and Minecraft so that'll float a bunch of people's boats.

Edit: I'm not trying to defend that terrible pitch, just to understand why people pledged.

They're trying to pull an OUYA; Capitalize on a demographic that's frustrated with the mainstream version of something and promise them a cheaper, better version that's also going to stick it to "the man." A lot of people are displeased with the direction of the new Sim City, and this is deliberately targeting them. He's not even being cagey about it. Every other line is professing the evils of EA and online only and DRM. It's an ambitious scam and he's certainly striking while the iron is hot. The problem is that you're not going to milk 250k out of the situation. Dude doesn't want to make a game, he wants to take the money of angry Sim City players and run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

dimwit posted:

Did that game ever get released?

Gonna go out on a limb and say no. I mean the entire reason it was so absurd was the fact that it was glaringly obvious that the whole thing was being made up and written by a single individual and that none of the situation or controversy or anything about it was real. Those kids might technically exist, but that's about the extent of reality in regards to that whole thing. It was a really obvious and pure scam.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

It's because MMOs can theoretically give you much deeper and more powerful escapism than other games.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

KiddieGrinder posted:

I assumed it was to make the most money. :confused:

They see WoW and assume their super awesome do anything ULTRA-REALISTIC WEAPONS fantasy game will get 500k subscribers, which at $20 a month each nets them :homebrew:

I think it's a safer bet that the thought process begins with "my dream game is a perfect MMO that I can devote my life to because my actual life isn't very good." Then, because they have an infantile world view and understanding of game development, instead of acknowledging that it's essentially impossible for that game to get made and something that not even established professional developers with hundreds of millions of dollars could pull off, they proceed to say "guess I'll have to make it myself."

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I don't know anything about physics but wouldn't a magnetic force strong enough to keep a grown human suspended or at the very least have a noticeable degree of resistance when you're standing on them probably also be more than enough to just make the shoes violently explode?