Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

Xenocidebot posted:

Not to poo poo the thread up with this, but Samus isn't a positive for Nintendo here. At all. She's a faceless suit of armor any time she's doing something of note (or to quote a 90s review, "the Transformer-like suit she wears could just as easily contain a large centipede; it's hardly a breakthrough for feminism"), and is only distinctly female when the player's being congratulated for success or punished for failure. Sarkeesian's actually going to go into that.

Young Freud posted:

Even before "Other M", Samus was being depowered and sexualized in the Zero Mission and Smash Bros. Brawl by being stripped of her iconic and remarkably unfeminine Power Suit in favor for the skin-tight Zero Suit and making her a slim blonde. I certain Sarkeesian will bring that up in the Fighting gently caress Toy segment.

Wait, though - so it's bad that you play her in a big bulky suit because it defeminizes her and she might as well be a centipede, but in Zero Mission and Smash Bros., where you play her without said suit (and not in a "reward" capacity but as a player character with powerful skills, weapons, abilities, etc.), she's a "gently caress toy" because she's wearing something less revealing than people wear jogging?

It seems like no matter what way Nintendo were to go, it will piss one of you off for being sexist. Is Ripley defeminized when in the bulky yellow power loader, but oversexualized when she's running around with giant machine guns in a tank top?

No argument about the terrible sexism that is Other M.

EDIT: I really liked the Fusion suit. A little more overtly feminine without having visible cleavage or anything stupid. Also, that game's narrative manages to be about her personal relationships AND the baby Metroid without being insipid.

EDIT 2:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah Samus and Ripley are pretty much exactly the same. :downs:

Jesus loving christ.
:negative:
Err, the Metroid series, especially Super Metroid and beyond, is fairly heavily and overtly derivative of Alien/Aliens, though?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_(video_game) posted:

Ridley Scott's 1979 horror film Alien was described by [series co-director] Sakamoto as a "huge influence" on Metroid after the game's world had been created.
etc http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_similarities_between_Metroid_and_Alien

Xenocidebot posted:

I want to know where you live that people jog in poo poo more revealing than this. :stare:
I'm from the frigid northeast, and even then, most trendy women exercising nowadays all wear pants by lululemon called "wunder unders". I'm not gonna post pics, but I assure you, real people choose to wear it and it's more revealing than that image you posted.

MjolnirMan has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Mar 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

man thats gross posted:

I guess the happy middle ground would be something that doesn't completely mask her femininity, but which is not so revealing that it renders her into a sex toy? Fem Shep might be a good example (although there are plenty of BAD examples in the ME series). You're not going to mistake her for a man, but it isn't exactly a tech demo for a breast physics engine either.

I'm trying to be mindful of this turning into an unrelated derail, but I gave major props to Super Metroid and Fusion for doing exactly this - especially in the latter, the suit looks (non-sexually) feminine; she's overtly female and is heavily communicative as someone who happens to be a woman throughout the games, etc. Those do not in any way evince the problematic nature being ascribed to her - she was only a silent gender-ambiguous protagonist in 1, and the only games that are sexist in any way are Other M and (only arguably) SSB. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater; Samus is a fantastic female character in Metroids 1-4, and fine in the Primes (that's 7+ games across two decades).