Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

EatinCake posted:

I don't know the specifics of color calibration, but from what I understand of it from Photography ventures, most monitors displays colors a little differently, and every printer will read those colors differently.

The important thing is that he would get Pantone to approve of it as a official color, which would mean that most non-digital printers could buy that color directly or have guide as how to mix it. Digital printers don't read colors differently, it would be a disaster if for example the special red that Coca Cola uses looked different each time. But digital printers do need to be calibrated, at least once a day in order to be consistent in color.

That being said, this kickstarter is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Why would WB suddenly fund a movie now when the show has been off the air a while, and not sooner after the show was cancelled? The fans sent a pallet full of Snickers bars to the people in charge in hopes of saving the show, back when it was cancelled and that didn't help..

So unless there is evidence otherwise, I don't see anything to be cynical about

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

steinrokkan posted:

Help a multi-billion media giant down on its luck fund its next low-budget film! Kickstarter no longer has anything to do with its original mission statement.

It is simple really. WB doesn't want to fund a Veronica Mars movie because they don't think there is an audience for it. So we can either continue to have no movie, or the fans can help make it happen via kickstarter. Kickstarter is turning out to be much more useful than its original mission statement.

Alan Smithee posted:

I haven't read in depth but I think the deal is since WB retains rights this KS is a shot in the dark to impress them, the idea being they will more than match funds if the interest check gets their attention.

Not quite, they got approval from WB to make the kickstarter, and WB said that if they raised the 2+ million then WB would distribute the movie and help advertise it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I guess it might be possible to make a fly-by-the-pants beg-borrow-and-steal-all-the-equipment feature film for $2m that didn't look like poo poo but that's an incredibly small budget for a Hollywood film. (They'll definitely make more than that but they couldnt know that when they started the project.)

I don't know what budget the show had, but I don't imagine it cost a whole lot, and apart from Kristen Bell (who is probably willing to take a big pay cut to make this happen), the other actors haven't really done anything major since the show ended, so you could probably make a decent VM movie for 2 million. But obviously it is good that they are getting more money than they aimed for.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

quantum_squirrel posted:

You know, what the Kickstarter-darling, premature misbirth of console, OUYA, needs?

OUYA Gaming Source a site and weekly webshow about "hot" and "upcoming" games for the OUYA

Goal: 7000 bucks, 5 days to go, got $4,573

And what are the rewards?
Basically Ad space... $ 2000 for a one-month reskin of the site, $ 3000 if you want it to be designed

It is strange, they clearly went to some trouble to make the presentation look good, but then they interview those two guys in the worst lightning possible, they couldn't go outside, or simply open a window to make it looks less nerdy?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hasn't Wheton come out and basically sad "it's not happening, please leave me alone" already?

He is going to be doing work for Marvel for the next few years, and Nathan Fillion is on Castle currently, but he has said he will look into it when all that is done.

While i am very happy that Veronica Mars has done so well, Firefly would require a lot more money, and i am not sure whether there is enough interest in Kickstarter to make even a super low budget Firefly movie, let alone a mini series.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There can be good reasons for picking flexible funding, though I agree that the majority of them are probably just an attempt to get free money..

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
What is "Ich bin Atheist" even supposed to mean? Am i missing some clever joke by the use of German?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am surprised the Risks & Challenges section doesn't mention Comrade Obama trying to stop the kickstarter..

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

That article is terrible and stupid. As someone who backed the VM movie, the author missed the point completely, and just seems angry that people are spending their money on something he doesn't like.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

"I accept ANY donation. Minimum is $5.00"

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This may be a stupid question, but as I understand it in the US, anyone can go to the ER and get help, and then you just get a bill, but they can't refuse treatment. It isn't the same with surgery that could save your life?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Accordion Man posted:

Hey guys do you want a sequel to the Nintendo horror video game Eternal Darkness? Well you're in luck because the original developer is trying to make a spiritual successor. They may have already fleeced a major publisher to help fund the gameplay video for it and also lost millions in a frivolous lawsuit they started last year, but don't worry guys they totally want to make a great game and not just steal your money. That's why they completely bypassed Kickstarter and Indiegogo and made the crowdfunding campaign on their own site, because they want to interact with you the gamer directly.

http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

Also please ignore their Terms of Use page, its all legal mumbo jumbo that hardcore gamers such as yourselves shouldn't bother yourselves with.

Great news, in addition to collecting funding on their own site, they have also opened a Kickstarter campaign, to get money for the same game : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals?ref=card

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Efexeye posted:

This is the problem with already established stars like Zach Braff doing Kickstarters for vanity projects, if you have access to the Hollywood system and its rejected your idea it's probably for a reeeeeeally good reason. Hollywood doesn't produce entertainment for their fans, they produce entertainment to make a profit.

So if Hollywood doesn't think if will make a profit that means a project shouldn't be made at all?

Fans gave 5.7 million dollars to make the Veronica Mars movie, the kickstarter happened because some business men didn't think it would make enough money to bother, yet there was clearly a big interest in it being made. The problem is with the system that would rather gamble on a 200 million dollar movie, than one that costs 10 million.

Also in almost every case where a entertainment kickstarter has done well, all the people who rejected the idea in the first place, come and want a piece of the pie now that they can smell money.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Even if the app was useful, that has got to be one of the worst names for an app i have ever seen

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Did no one notice those hilariously fake text messages that is on the kickstarter page? It may just because i have only heard about the kickstarter now, and know what the deal is, but there are so many small things, that stand out as weird and fake on that page.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Dunno if this counts but Planetary Annihilation is looking for more $$ on steam.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/233250/announcements/detail/1658730021561594175

Access to Alpha was the 90$ kickstarter tier, they would screw their backers if they let people access it now for less. Obviously they should never have put this option on Steam, it was never going to end well, and i am amazed that nobody at the company realized that. But anyone actually outraged about this is an idiot

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It would be cool if it actually functioned like a bow, instead of just having to hold it, and the pull that ring thingie, how exactly is that better than tapping on a phone?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I will never understand the desire to make all these tiny wallets that can't hold any coins. I find a normal wallet just fine since it actually allows me to carry stuff..

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Xandu posted:

You put coins in your wallet?!

Mercury Hat posted:

They're really common outside of the US where you have to carry $1 or £1 coins, they'll have a zippered compartment for them. In practice, they just make your wallet exceptionally heavy and bulky.

I hadn't actually considered that perhaps the US didn't use many coins. Here in Denmark a wallet without room for coins would be pretty much useless.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Bloodnose posted:

Yeah that's a pretty great pitch video. And the game actually came out. On time. Within its budget. It's the first Kickstarter game to actually do that, right?

Project Giana came out before that, although i don't know if it came out on time

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There are so many reasons why a Kickstarter can be delayed, especially if they get a lot more funding than they planned on. So as long as they keep people updated i am fine.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

The sad thing is, i am almost sure that if done on Indiegogo with flexible funding, a lot of those donations would still be there.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Considering how high the sides on that plate are, i bet you could put as much food on it, as you could on a normal plate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think the problem is that you can already buy the robot in stores, Everyone who wants one can simply buy it with no hassle, and there doesn't seem to be that much cuztomisation to appeal to the kind of people who like that sort of thing. I am not sure whether there is a difference in price..