Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Huh almost like the Tropes vs Women in Videogames kickstarter as well..

Edit: Misinformed opinion sorry.

Exmond has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Mar 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I grabbed a few typical comments off those rehosts if people are wondering what they're like. (Hint: Desperado Bones will definitely not want to read these.)

... and so on and so forth.

To be fair poo poo reddit says is full of terrible comments. Same with Tumblr.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Edit: Don't want to lose my account

Exmond has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Mar 12, 2013

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The leading conspiracy theory is still that Chloe is actually trans trying t get funds for a gender reassignment surgery. This is a loving mess.

It makes me a bit distressed to see the response to the conspiracy that this is for gender reassignment surgery. Is there any proof to this claim, apart from her being silly and talking about the other $25,000 surgery that will improve her life but is not related to the fundraiser at all?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

batphantom posted:

I know I've been crowing on and on about kickjacking

For some reason I hate this term... It just seems so silly to be concerned about people investing tons of money into a kickstarter to make it succeed. They are going against kickstarter rules or something? Or are they sticking it to the man?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Jefferoo posted:

Apparently games journalists had talked to Sagal and she told them it was for gender reassignment surgery, but they kept quiet as she said she'd kill herself. Destructoid's Feature Editor has been a total dickweed about on Twitter this morning.

https://twitter.com/DtoidAllistair

To be fair if someone said "Do this or I will kill myself" I would be a bit pissed off. Especially if what they were doing went against my ethics (My ethics being dishonest with people why you want money, not gender reassignment). So we have an editor who went through this and now because there is the whole gender reassignment issue the editor is getting attacked on twitter..

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

AlbieQuirky posted:

No, he's being a dick by calling Sagal "he" and other bullshit. Crack on this woman all you like for being a scam artist, but don't be a jerk about her gender identity. Even if, as the Destructoid editor claims, she is still presenting as male legally and in some social contexts, Allastair isn't the arbiter of her gender identity.

You do realize that she blackmailed the editor with her life right? I think the editor is well within his right to put up his hands and be like "Im sick of this poo poo" and not care about gender identity.

Edit: Also if you read his tweets he references Chloe as she many times

Exmond has a new favorite as of 21:46 on May 13, 2013

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Sigma-X posted:

These are legit awesome.

Is it appropriate to think she's a lying and manipulative piece of poo poo without being painted as some sort of bigot?
Yes. Tell the story and replace Chloe Sagal with "Bob Sagat" and if you come to the same conclusion then you know gender isn't affecting your decision.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

People commit suicide over gender dysphoria. The lady screwed up how she went about things, but given the distress the condition causes and the toxic environment trans people already have to exist in I don't think any of this scorn or criticism is deserved. Rather, and bear she did attempt suicide over the shame and humiliation inflicted on her, this should be a lesson to cis-people in just how much poo poo trans people have to put up with and the desperate acts they're sometimes driven to.

Yes because her trying to scam people has absolutely nothing to do with it. I guess im just cis-scum for not liking people that lie and cheat?

Edit:
Whatever sympathy I had for her went away after hearing what she did with the journalists.

Exmond has a new favorite as of 16:04 on May 15, 2013

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

"I watched that one episode of South Park so I'm fully qualified to say that SRS is an elective, unnecessary surgery people undertake because they think that changing their gender will just magically fix all their problems."

-The Internet

I think the post you quoted is in support of SRS. Is there any thread where we can take this discussion? I don't want to miss out on any terrible kickstarters because of this argument.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

PostNouveau posted:

Everyone should call out abhorrent views when they see them. News, entertainment, whatever, the author kicked off a shitstorm that got Kickstarter to publicly reject PUAs. The guy in question will likely benefit from the attention, but Kickstarter (and probably a lot of other sites who saw this happen) won't put up with his bullshit anymore.

I agree that people should call out abhorrent views but be careful with trying to get a mob going.

http://arstechnica.com/staff/2013/03/donglegate-is-classic-overreaction-and-everyone-pays/

Edit: I am in no way relating the sexual assualt do it yourself book to the above posted incident. Im just commenting on how everyone calling out , waht to them is abhorrent view, can backfire if people do an immediate knee jerk reaction.

Exmond has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Jun 21, 2013

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

joedevola posted:

MyType Portable Keyboard.

I don't think this is a terrible product. I actually think it looks really useful.

However... did they accidentally paste an email into the body of the description?

Seems like a weird thing to overlook.

Sounds like you can join their webex meeting on July 10th. But yeah looks like its copy pasted, but its more of an invite to talk to them.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Rapdawg's kickstarter posted:

The Player - You are the most important character in this work, and it is you who drives the action of this story. Starting out as errand boy on the ship, your pivotal role ultimately dictates the narrative.

In this ground breaking kickstarter you play a game and YOU ARE THE MAIN CHARACTER! (Ground breaking video game!)

Edit: How does shipping work with kickstarter? Its $50 shipping to outside U.S, being from Canada that seems a bit ridiculous

Exmond has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Jul 6, 2013

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Waffleman_ posted:

This is even more hilarious when you consider that player choices and multiple endings are pretty much part of the definition of visual novels. It's like advertising leveling up in an RPG.

Another thing that bugs me about the Infection video is they are trying to be the first english visual novel company or something like that? But several companies have them beat and there are several niche companies that either translate or make their own (Academagia devs and etc)..

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I really dislike the Erik Chevalier guy (Doom that came to atlantic city). He is starting to do refunds but in the comments section he blames backers for getting the press involved.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-that-came-to-atlantic-city/posts/555128#comments

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

the Gaffe posted:

Please give us $400,000 to dress in bad cosplay, and then film it. Final Fantasy VII the web series.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ffviiwebseries/final-fantasy-vii-the-web-series-unofficial-fan-pr

"Now defunct kickstarter page" posted:

What is your status with Square Enix?
The team is very familiar with how Square Enix has dealt with fan projects in the past and has taken every step to avoid becoming a statistic. Several steps have been taken so far to give us the best possible chance of success.

- We have sent several letters and emails to many departments of SE which we know have been received and read. Square's general legal counsel has been aware of this project for many months.
- We have engaged in persistent dialog with the manager of SE online, who assured us that both the North American and European divisions were supportive of our efforts.
- We have had the series trailer actually appear on the SE website.
- We have acquired the music rights via a surrogate agency that gives us licensing permission with specific legal caveats.

JUST KIDDING YA ALL WE AINT DONE poo poo

Unsurprisingly the kickstarter has been shutdown due to copyright issues

Exmond has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Aug 2, 2013

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Better to be the big fish of a little pond than just another fish in the sea? That and apart from the Warhammer guy I think those people get paid to go to events

Only the professional amazing cosplayers get paid to go. Others buy tickets and attend

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

He probably could have, the difference is that Men's Rights people are literal, SPLC-recognized hate groups while women actually are systematically discriminate

Did you know that SPLC did not in fact say that MRA's are a hate group!

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2012/05/15/intelligence-report-article-provokes-outrage-among-mens-rights-activists/

Also did you know that Erik Chevalier, of the failed kickstarter doom came to atlantic city, has refunded one person out of the thousand of backers?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Looks like the Brony dating sim kickstarter is imploding in on itself.

http://cliqist.com/2014/03/14/is-dark-skyes-the-latest-kickstarter-scam/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

No, actually while rape culture is manifest everywhere- certain manifestations of it do differ in prevalence among cultures and socioeconomic groups. All-out catcalling (like from passerby or cars, often with gestures or repetition) tends to be much more prevalent in economically disadvantaged neighborhoods, both urban and rural (with a strong skew toward urban ones- with predominantly black and Latino populations- by population density) than in other North American populations. It's an artifact of social norms (similar attitudes exist in parts of the Caribbean and Latin America) and the effects of socioeconomic depression.

It's not "just racism" (but frankly related to the long-term effects of ongoing institutional racism). And I say this as a Latino getting a Master's in anthropology with a girlfriend getting a Master's in urban education who studies this all day long.

Is there poverty austrlian rape culture. Archaelogical rape culture? Rape Mariculture? How verbose can we get here?