Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007
I think this one qualifies as awful: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1809021552/the-new-black?ref=category

The presentation is good enough but I just can't wrap my head around it. Is there some sort of market for particular colors? Why would anyone care about the "New Black?"

More to the point, why do you need $15,000 to open Photoshop and play with the color palette? Is he paying Pantone $15k to let him sit in the cafeteria on his Macbook?

Maybe I'm just totally ignorant and missing the point but it seems silly to me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

makomk posted:

Yeah, and the only Kickstarter I'm aware of where someone did sue is Hanfree. Didn't do the backer much good - the guy running it immediately declared bankrupcy and it doesn't look like any of the backers are going to see a cent.

Yeah, I'm not sure I see the point of a lawsuit in that case. That's a great way to ensure that neither you nor anyone else will ever see the product. Unless it was really that far gone that it was the only choice.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

... and another 500 backers and $40k since your post. Daaaamn.

Now past their goal of $900,000, currently at $976,865.

I think this might be the fastest growing KS ever. Trending towards $31 million. http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/#chart-daily

SovietSpyGuy has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Mar 6, 2013

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007
Since lawsuits have been brought up, I wonder how successful a lawsuit would be?

I mean, you might not get the product or the product sucks, but that's a risk that you as a backer take on Kickstarter. Unless there was some sort of gross negligence or you simply take the money and run, what basis is there for a lawsuit? If people get too lawsuit happy it could certainly cripple Kickstarter a bit. Imagine if a project raises $2 million, and the resulting product is crap. That sucks, but that's how it goes sometime. Getting sued for that money that you've already spent making an unfortunately sub-par product seems almost cruel.

Rinkles posted:

Yeah it's maybe worth a laugh but otherwise a linear extrapolation of the funding curve is valueless.

True but it's still fun to look at. Over a million dollars in half a day, jesus christ.

SovietSpyGuy has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Mar 6, 2013

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007
Whoops.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have no money so I'll spend five dollars to buy nothing with the promise of getting nothing in the future. Gotcha.

Why do you hate America?

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

Klyith posted:

Since when do you need basis for a lawsuit in America? If the product sucks you can sue. If they run with the money you can sue. If the Ouya delivers but you're crazy and think it should come with Minecraft and AAA games you can sue.

True, I was referring more to the chances of a successful lawsuit.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

cyberbug posted:

Formlabs ran a Kickstarter to fund a stereolithography-based 3D printer, which resulted in 3D Systems suing Formlabs and Kickstarter for patent infringement.

Well that's unfortunate. I wonder if this is a legitimate patent suit and not a "No fair, we won't be able to continue to do nothing and collect money anymore!" I don't have enough inclination to actually delve into the suit...

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

How to lunchman: Diabetic cooking Vol 1 - Mediterranean
Hmmm, I certainly hope the food he's planning on cooking doesn't look like curdled snot slopped onto a paper plate...
Just kidding, the curdled snot was his teaser pic on the project listing page:

This is a Kickstarter to buy groceries. His video consists of him...pouring water into a bowl?

And if you pledge $75, you get "excutre producer and cop of dvd," in December 2014.

Sweeeeeeeeet.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

I remember seeing that book years ago. But you know, for all that high-falutin' fancy talk, you'd think the headline image wouldn't just be a freakin' eclair that someone came all over.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

omgmofohomolol posted:

This one hurts me: at face value yeah it's awesome to empower girls/women to go into science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (I refuse to call it by an acronym).

I'm not sure how "making" an RPG with what you all say is an extremely easy to use, graphical program really qualifies as STEM education...

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

DeepDickPizza posted:

Seriously, the worship of the wealthy in this country out of some sort of misguided belief that "hey, maybe one day that'll be me bootstrappin' myself into a penthouse"...it just makes me ill.

Yeah, this woman is a retard. So gently caress everyone who isn't poor! I hate the wealthy! Nobody ever starts successful businesses unless they were already rich*! Ugh! gently caress this gay earth!

Take a breather there, go outside or something. You're going to have an aneurysm. Some stupid woman started a stupid Kickstarter for her kids, and other middle-aged people who think kids are adorable are giving her money. Whatever. Nobody took anything from you. Nobody forced anyone to give her money. It's a retarded kickstarter but for fucks sake go talk to a real human being and stop hyperventilating at your computer.

*Irrelevant to this KS, I'm aware.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

Ville Valo posted:

No glass ceiling at all, women just keep having babies and aren't willing to work long and hard like men. :rolleyes:

In general, compared to men, women tend to not advocate for themselves as much as they ought to. Here, watch this. It's pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18uDutylDa4

Anyway, this thread used to be fun. Now it's just turned into a bunch of goons frothing at the mouth in their nerd-rage frenzy. Ok, maybe the woman is a scam artist, maybe she is just stupid and misguided. I don't know. Much of the evidence against her is assumptions about things people don't understand. I personally think she is just naive and went about this in a silly, incomprehensible way. Less "Nigerian prince" and more "how do I internet." Yeah, it's retarded and she really should know better than to do just about every possible thing to make yourself unlike-able on the internet.

As far as the Kinko's thing goes, she wasn't squatting a domain. If you think that anybody - nevermind Kinko's - will pay $100 million for a domain name, you're a dumbass. And a $100 million acquisition doesn't mean that she personally got a check for $100 million. Again, if you believe that you're an idiot. WHO KNOWS what she got. Presumably a decent amount, but without knowing literally ANYTHING about the acquisition or her particular equity stake, it's impossible to say. And yes, many entrepreneurs do re-invest most of their money into future ventures. Did she? How much money does she have? Nobody knows. Presumably enough to send her kid to an $800 camp, as she has admitted, but the point of the KS wasn't really "Help lift me out of poverty." So it doesn't really matter. All of you thinking she's mega rich because she's an :siren: entrepreneur :siren: are ridiculous.

More to the point, KS should maybe have taken this down as it does skirt their rules. They didn't. Tough poo poo. Whoever was complaining about his yearly salary being half of what she raised, boo loving hoo. Unless she is personally taking money from you then it really doesn't matter. Do something about it instead of researching how to be pissed off at some woman on the internet. I'd understand the rage to a degree if it was OBVIOUSLY a scam, but that's not really clear (yet, anyway). It's just retarded.

And even if enough people want to fund this project (I'd guess most of them are middle-aged parents who are equally ignorant about games and internets anway) then WHO GIVES A poo poo? Nobody is forcing anybody to pay money. None of it affects YOU. And whining about how "OH, this looks to be the end of Kickstarter" is retarded beyond belief. No, it's not, because the amount of rage spittle flying around here is somewhere around the 99.9th percentile of everyone who has heard of Kickstarter. If KS goes out of business within 4 years I'll buy 10 people avatars. Hey look, someone is selling a stupid, lovely, cheap product in Publix. Oh! This looks like the beginning of the end for old Publix! Give me a loving break.

I don't even give a poo poo about this woman or her retarded project. Somehow your ridiculous nerd rage is actually more annoying. Instead of this circle-jerk about how - thanks to old Susan - your life is now meaningless and food turns to ash in your mouth and your boss just lowered your salary and furthermore,

How about posting some more stupid projects? Like this silly poo poo: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1110640436/iworm-posture-perfect-ipad-use?ref=category

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007
^^^ What he said.

I don't care about any of what she says, what "shrapnel" from a car accident causes heavy metal poisoning? There's no lead or mercury in a car. And very little tungsten, if any. So...what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

There's plenty of lead in the battery, but you'd need to be actively trying to get any of that inside you. Old vehicles can have fun things like selenium (not a heavy metal, but toxic) rectifiers, but again, those are more an occupational hazard for people restoring them than something you'd get as a shrapnel injury.

Oh yeah. The battery. Duh. Good point...

Even so. I just don't trust that crazy lady!