Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
If any goons would like to advertise their own crowdfunding campaign or seek advice for one, we have a thread for that:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238861

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
From the Project Zomboid thread, an indie game developer is dying from a piece of shrapnel embedded in her body from a car crash several years ago:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/i-am-going-to-survive/x/189160

I just don't understand why ER doctors are denying her treatment for metal poisoning. This doesn't add up.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Ooner posted:

How could anybody think there's a market for this? They want $15,000 to produce a bunch of lovely face stickers that nobody will ever ever ever buy.

I could see that product selling like hotcakes at Mardis Gras or the various Carnivales. But that's pretty niche.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-09-homesick-dev-chloe-sagal-successfully-crowd-funding-life-saving-operation

Metal poisoning scammer Chloe Sagal successfully funded her "life saving" surgery. Then IG shut down her campaign because it's obviously a loving scam.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Decius posted:

Surely you find enough people backing a sex-change operation on the Internet. Why the incredibly fake metal poisoning smokescreen?

It's like a hundred thousand dollars. I don't think it's easy to raise that much money by just asking the internet, no matter your cause. Her strongest community were gamers, and she knew that the best route to the money was to be their Damsel in Distress. Simple, high stakes: give me money right now or I will be dead in a few months. This is a much easier sell than trying to explain why her body feels alien to her and how she thinks she would be happier/less depressed if she got SRS. I totally believe that she is suffering and felt this was the best way to alleviate her suffering.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Jefferoo posted:

Apparently games journalists had talked to Sagal and she told them it was for gender reassignment surgery, but they kept quiet as she said she'd kill herself.

So very bizarre. She took journalists as ethical hostages and leveraged them to spread her scam? Wow.

EDIT: ^^ - I don't think it's that easy. These procedures sound very expensive, and no one knew who this person was until it was a life and death scenario implicating greedy healthcare providers. If she had used honesty instead, she would have just been another charity case. Her only real problem was her lie was stupid and ill conceived.

Jalumibnkrayal has a new favorite as of 16:50 on May 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Carecat posted:

She could have gotten the money if she had just been truthful with everyone :smith:

It never would have gone viral, and it wouldn't have raised a tenth of what her life saving surgery campaign did.

^^ - This is the thread about terrible Kickstarters. Are we only allowed to post about terrible Kickstarters we've backed?