Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

DoctorTristan posted:

There seems to be enough interest; maybe a better poster than I could try making a separate thread for the Sarkesian videos?

I thought one was linked a page or two back and it was already closed. I really don't think it will go over well. Hell, even I have a hard time not spouting stupid bullshit against detractors to the idea and I'm typically very uninterested in debates online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
He's playing fast and loose with the source material isn't he? Also the visual aesthetic looks garbage on the one he did but has yet to release. Just look at the shot of guy and girl about to kiss (you remember that part in the Tell Tale Heart right?) I bet he turns Fall of the House of Usher into a zombie flic.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

His first update was this:

quote:

Tough Roads

Update #1 · Mar 29, 2013 · comment
Guess I should have used my daughter and son's to promote this one........

Was this made before or after "MY SONS TELL MY DAUGHTER SHE CAN'T MAKE VIDEO GAMES"?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Nnep posted:

In other news, the future is here!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game

We've finally invented the human hamster wheel. I'm not quite a gamer, but i can appreciate the technology. I can already see the term 'omnitack' as a soon to be well known phrase among paramedics as they pry large sweaty boymen out of their steel nerd cage with the jaws of life. Cause of death: trying to get the best sniper position first.

I know it makes me a fatty fat, but this is a pretty cool idea and would be a great way to exercise. It's like that summer I lost like 30 pounds playing DDR. Now the "idea" is cool, but it'll come down to it's implementation which could be totally crap.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Admiral Heklar posted:

Game developers have a long history of monumental facepalm moments like this. The guys who are buying this on steam aren't like the guys form the kickstarter page, they bought it to support the development of a cool game and get some cool merch in the process, the guys crapping all over this on steam are just looking for a game to play and $90 is a hell of a price tage for an unfinished game in their eyes. I can see their p.o.v dont necessarily agree with it though.

Kickstarter is where you donate to a project you want to see completed. The bonuses that are awarded are just that. The devs seem to have make the mistake of confusing donation value with purchase value. It is not worth 90 dollars for a customer to playtest your game, but it might be worth 90 dollars for a believer to get the same access.

When I saw that price I was kind of shocked, not knowing the background of the project. I thought we were finally moving away from games costing stupid amounts of money.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

TTBF posted:

I think this has less to do with developers being confused about value and more to do with developers not wanting to piss off the people who paid $90 to their Kickstarter for early access. If they then turn around and give other people early access for less than $90, those backers would very justifiably be upset.

That's not how Kickstarter is supposed to be, but I guess that is how people see it. The donators did not spend 90 for the game, they donated 90 and just happened to get a 20-30 dollar value.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Verdugo posted:

Pickup artists and seddit and other reprehensible bullshit has existed for ages before this kickstarter, with similar outrage and then nothing. Once the media storm blows over, it's going to lapse back into disinterest.

Sites have put up with this bullshit for years, and "reporting" on it hasn't made one iota of difference. All it serves in the long run is putting money in these slimeballs' pockets.

Because the past has never changed, why would the future? That's the point you are making and I hope that putting it into plain words shows you how dumb it is.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

More BRUTAL CARNAGE over on twitter.

Calvin Lindfors posted:

@BrutalCarnage1 Just reported your infringement to Bandai, have fun.

BRUTAL posted:

@PenquinDude Actually every image you see is registered with U.S. copywrite office buddy. Watch it...

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I am always kind of surprised what kinds of Kickstarter ads people buy for the forum.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dmfelt/infection-first-contact-a-visual-novel

Infection: First Contact posted:

A choose your own adventure visual novel that puts you as the protagonist making the choices that dictate this thriller.

I think the picture sums things up.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Nnep posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1265573872/shattered-glass-t-shirt-project

Shattered glass t-shirt 'project'

People are basically just doing really effortless poo poo and asking for money at this point

Most kickstarters of this kind are really good Crafts project ideas that you can do at home. Which is why they are lousy kickstarters.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Rapdawg posted:

As I Goon, this was the first place I picked to advertise. I'm not the artist and art is the main reason we are Kickstarting this project, but I'm not going to sit here and defend my project piece by piece. I'm going back to my non-stop working to make the Kickstarter page better. No matter how many times I looked over the preview, and how many people I showed it to and got constructive comments on, there are so many things I'm frantically working to ad and change.

Anyhow, this is not me angry or trying to defend myself- this is me posting to say I mean my promise. I will work to make my product the best it can be because I take pride in it and because someone putting their faith in my product deserves that. For now though, I'm working non stop to update the page to show that I'm taking that promise seriously. I'm glad I saw my project posted here, it lets me know I'm right in refining and improving the page.

Anyhow, you guys rock, learned a lot of lessons from you all and keep on learning them. This post must read like a guy running on four hours of sleep is writing it, because, well, you know, I am. New goals set, to go from posted in this thread to incorrectly posted in this thread (since its for bad ones).

The concept is interesting enough but there's some issues you should work on. One is no clear example of prior work. How do I know you CAN take a project from beginning to end? Or as VN's are naturally text reliant what about examples of writing? I hate to say it but naming your ship the Yellowjacket, I know is a reference, but makes it seem like a cheap Firefly knock off. There's very little solid evidence here of anyone on the team being able to excel at this kind of project. It currently screams "idea" rather than "impending product". If you've read the thread I know you'd know better than to put up an "idea's man" kickstarter, but you really need to offer evidence to the contrary.

Also it's odd the art that IS shown because the art on the portfolios of the artist's is far better. Not sure if those are wip or if the artist's just didn't give it their all. I would seriously hope that the provided art is scrapped because it screams Amateur wannabe Japanese VN. The kind that has spelling errors, detailed bloodtypes, and accidental inescapable dialog loops. The fact is that Anime Art, is not nearly as popular in the US. It also does not have the same connotations. In Japan it's just a feature of the landscape, here it can be actively distracting. You'll like a VN despite the art. Not because of. You want to make a Western VN? Go with art that's a bit more western. Maybe less giraffe necks.

You don't even have video of a prototype, the example given is of someone's bedroom. There are tons of VN Makers out there. Even if that'd not suit your needs and you'd want to use a custom engine, you still could have put some of your assets into one just to properly show it off.

Honestly, you should have linked your post content here I feel. I know at least I'd have been more than happy to give these comments before you went live.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Noni posted:

I'm sorry. I'm bitter. I'm sad that there's not a big festival for science nerds in the middle of the desert. We wouldn't even give a poo poo about the heat, because everyone would be wearing home-made cooling suits made from copper tubing and lego mindstorms. Instead of a burning man, there would be a giant neon Carl Sagan pointing to the stars and people would ceremonially walk up to Carl every night and charge their electronics devices.

Please be our prophet and lead us into the desert.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

DoctorTristan posted:

Hey now. You can't post about that project in here without linking to the guy's promo reel.

Replace the guy with Abed from Community and there would literally be no difference.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Take your hilarious and awesome "this one thing my friend said one time" stories (that everyone obviously loves) to the next level- by wearing the functional equivalent of a wire on your wrist at all times!

There's clearly no way that this could be misused....

Why doesn't it also function as a watch?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

Guys, if we want this to be successful let's do it. Goon Project time, we got 9 days to raise 5,940 dollars. I'm in for 25, who'll match me!

I just tossed in 25$ as well to Doobie's Dog House

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

cyberia posted:

Me, too. It's not the dumbest thing I've pledged for and I've got a bit of extra money in my pocket this week.

Come on, goons, let's help make this guy's dream come true (then ruin his life when he goes bankrupt because nobody goes to his terrible but well-intentioned hot dog stand in the middle of nowhere).

I'd be more concerned about him failing if he was asking for tens of thousands of dollars. 6 grand is pretty small potatoes, I mean that's not a huge cliff to fall off of and he seems so genuine. I really hope he makes it :ohdear:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

"Dog House posted:

To date, we have been faced with many risks and challenges. The largest risk has been our financial investment in this business. We have put a lot of our finances at risk to avoid taking on investors or bank loans. The least amount of overhead, the better it will be in times of slow business. As with any business there are good times and there are not so good times. We have strong confidence in ourselves and our products and know that, if we persevere, our Hot Dog Stand will thrive. 2nd. challenge being satisfying the health inspector... if he finds a problem I will correct it, but I really don't foresee a problem, because my county's inspector is working with me closely, to be sure I complete all of his requirements... he knows that i'm struggling and really wants me to succeed, I believe that truly ..the last challenge is wastewater hook up.. I have'nt found the existing sewer main on the property yet, but I know its there, and the City of Reform will hook up that service.

So many people start restaurants by taking out massive loans against their property and stuff, this guy is actually doing everything he can to NOT gently caress up his life and family's future. :3:

JossiRossi has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Sep 25, 2013

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

For those just tuning in.

Who Are We Helping: Claude Robinson and Doobie's Dog House
Why Are We Helping: A seemingly genuine hard working small town man has a dream to start up a Hot Dog shack. WITHOUT DOOMING HIS FAMILY TO FINANCIAL RUIN no less.
How Are We Helping: Tossing some sweet Kickstarter Bux his way here - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/657642328/doobies-dog-house

I Want To Pool Our Cash For Great Rewards: Make a comment stating that you are a part of "Team Frogout" and we could have our good buddy :frog: staring back at people from over Claude's Shoulder. You should also mention in the thread to correlate numbers.

As of this writing he is at $1,833 of a modest $6,000 goal. About $1,500 of that is from us.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Anoia posted:

The folks behind Community are generally wryly amused by all the weird fan videos the show inspires, not sure if NBC/Universal approves or even cares at this point.

That's part of why it's not called Inspector Spacetime and instead has that absurd long name is to poke fun that they were told not to use the name. Also, it's in a strange spot as a fan show because the in show clips of Inspector Spacetime starred the same guy.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

This is kind of a neat idea, not as a bank but just as a way to display coins. I have a bunch of foreign coins just sitting in a little bag and I think I'm gonna try and make something like this to display them.

Kickstarter is an amazing source of DIY project inspiration.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, for some it started that way, but its pretty clear at least few people in that thread were being quite genuine.

I was one of those :saddowns:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Noni posted:

Ooh, I see a sailboat in his shirt. Neat!

IT'S A SCHOONER!

wait I got that backwards :(

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

semiavrage posted:

I think it's pretty clear that the brony kickstarter is a parody. Just watch the video. My guess would be Sam Hyde / Million Dollar Extreme.

Looks that way: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615253

Which is a shame because it means there will be like no actually humorous payoff. The effort they put into just plain unfunny is astonishing.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

didn't the prank basically work anyway? Whole lot of bronies pissed that someone would use their own horsefucking desires against them, to the point that they went all out on an investigation into it.

Sam Hyde claimed on his facebook that he was trying to get rent money out of it.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

wayne curr posted:

Pro tip: after using a hot pan to cook tortillas, you can use that same hot pan to cook the stuff that goes with your tortillas.

At least give us a link to this "hot pan" kickstarter.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is some grad student's social experiment. It has to be.

Worse. Comedians.

They didn't change their names so if you look them up they all have IMDB pages.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Yeah that gif about nailing your interview was a dead give away.

I had to keep refreshing the page to see it because on Chrome the gif wasn't looping. :saddowns:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I hope if he funds, he makes it exactly as the drawing is, to the point where it is a non-euclidean nightmare of a chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah there's this and there's one other one too that somebody made which actually hovers, but it has to be cooled by liquid nitrogen constantly so you can't use it for more than like 5 minutes tops at a time and it costs a fortune just to use it.

Unlike the Hendo one I don't think you had to use copper, which was nice, but you did still have to use some kind of metal that would respond to magnetic forces, so no concrete.

Not sure it was copper, but it was definitely confined to a rail placed just under the skate surface, if I'm thinking of the same one that required liquid nitrogen. We'll never hit the future at this rate :(