Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

gschmidl posted:

Another (potentially) non-crappy Kickstarter appears!

Richard Garriott is making a new game: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0

This one belongs here because it's loving ridiculous that millionaire space tourist Richard Garriot is asking us to pay for his next game despite being loaded and easily able to contribute the entire sum himself. And even if he has spunked all his cash on castles and luxurious robes, he's still one of the most recognisable names in the industry and should have no difficulty finding a publisher or someone to stump up some real money. But then unlike us plebs those arseholes always want stupid things like a "return on their investment" while we're just happy having an artist spend two seconds putting our names on a virtual gravestone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Another smartwatch: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ritot-the-first-projection-watch

But this one has a pico projector to display all your notifications right on your hand where everyone can see them. As demonstrated by this sinister character:

Alright maybe it's kind of an interesting gimmick, I like the minimalism you get from not having a screen, but there's not a single detail about how it works beyond it using "special projector technology". Every image of it is a 3D render or Photoshop mockup on smarmy stock art models. Reading into it they don't even seem to have a functioning prototype. So, pay $120+ for these guys to get their idea past the back-of-a-napkin stage without any proof that it actually works, and maybe you'll get something in a few years time. Naturally it's flexible funding.

it dont matter has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Jul 17, 2014

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

wa27 posted:

Their Gantt chart has it shipping in Feburary, which seems crazy.

Hah. Erm, missed that. As if you needed any more proof that this is total bollocks. Best case, it's a bunch of ideas people who got carried away.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

That guy's in charge of fulfilment? By the looks of it the only one being fulfilled is him, when he hangs around a public swimming pool changing room.

Naturally the tech blogs have bought the full force of their keen journalistic skills to bear on this transparent horseshit.

http://bgr.com/2014/07/15/ritot-smartwatch-projector-wearable/

quote:

The Ritot, however, is a smart wrist-worn wearable that might actually be worth checking out.

So what about all those other wearables you lot have been hyping for years? Forget them. This imaginary one is best.

quote:

As cool as all that sounds, there’s a catch: the Ritot doesn’t actually exist yet.

But let's not question that little detail.

Also, none of them have pointed out that the name is crap. What the gently caress is a Ritot? Sounds like a variety of potato.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Its so obviously fake it hurts. There's no way that the display will read that well on your palm skin in uneven or outdoor lighting conditions... even if you hold it at exactly the right pose so there's no distortion.

Everything is clearly photoshopped. Just wow.

Uh excuse me but you appear to have misunderstood just how this revolutionary watch changes everything, see they have special technology and also they have promised it will work in all lighting conditions now please pay hundreds of dollars thank you.

If you're still not convinced perhaps some tasteful stock art carefully photoshopped to depict our wildest dreams will change your mind?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

That businessman middle finger edit is loving great. He is the face of crowdsourcing.

Zaphod42 posted:

Now I want to create intentionally fake kickstarters just to see what kind of poo poo people think is possible.

Jetpacks! Ends up they're easy to make, the government has just kept them from going mainstream because they don't want you flying everywhere all the time and... something about taxes.

Add some clearly photoshopped video of a guy with a jetpack in front of a green screen and rake in the millions.

Then again wasn't there already a project for like downloadable internet? I don't know how you top that.

Wouldn't even need to make pitch videos, just use some of those Tim and Eric spoof ads, I think they did one about the internet on a CD. And there's this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r3tx3IEsN4

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

That Ritot bullshit now has over $432,000 courtesy of some very dumb people and it's still got 30 days to go. STOP GIVING THEM MONEY. A few have caught on and are asking for refunds in the comments, and there's a guy just asking question after question who has been accused of spamming by the scammers.

http://www.connectedly.com/ritot-smartwatch-indiegogo-campaign-raises-red-flags

This is one of the few critical articles I've seen about it.

quote:

Daytime usage - The pico projector by Explay only produced 14 lumens. A quick search online reveals that it takes a few thousand lumens to clearly see a projection outdoors. Generating this amount of brightness also brings up the obvious question of battery life.

Projection angles - Even if they got a projector inside the wearable, the angle of projection as depicted in their mockups, doesn't seem right. The watch has its projector no more than a centimetre above the wrist. It seems a projection at this angle would make the numbers look distorted and nowhere near as clean as the Photoshop mockups.

This is a problem with Ritot. I can't seem to find anything about the team online. As far as I can tell, none of them are on LinkedIn and the founder seems to have only appeared on the Internet after the Ritot crowd funding campaign. The two team members who have created Indiegogo accounts, haven't even connected to any social networks to verify they are in fact real.

The last one alone should raise huge red flags. Some guys just come out of nowhere with an incredibly unlikely piece of technology? Well sure I'll give them my life savings.

Also their office address is a virtual office.

it dont matter has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Jul 22, 2014

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

hohum posted:

But then they're paying tax on their own cash. It seems like there are easier ways to scam people.

So long as it's not flexible funding you could pledge a bunch of your own money to get the ball rolling then pull the pledge later, if you're over the minimum funding without that initial seed you'll get paid and not spend a dime.

Mirificus posted:

Maksym Pashanin of Confederate Express and Knuckle Club fame/infamy is apparently a squatter. Not a cyber-squatter but a literal squatter.

Shame, that game looked alright, and someone has put some work into it already. Seems appropriate that a zombie game would be made by a crazed squatter.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

More on the Ritot...

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2014/08/05/dubious-crowdfunding-campaign-ritot-explains-team-used-fake-names/

quote:

Is an engineer still attached to your project?

We have a partner company that handles developing and manufacturing. Of course there was an option to hire an engineer to transmit development to him, but such project needs a great team with great experience. So we decided to cooperate with a company who are professionals in their field.

quote:

Six months seems like a short time to build such a complicated product from scratch. What sets you apart from other teams that have tried and failed?

We understand that there may be some delays, but if all goes according to our plan, then it’s real. We have plans to show working (not final) prototype till the end of the campaign.

No engineers on their team, no working prototype, faked their ID to appear American...and it's still got over $760,000.

And check their answer re flexible funding:

quote:

Why did you go for Flexible Funding if it would have potentially left you short of cash? Could you have completed the project with just a portion of the goal?

If we had raised $2000-3000 or another small amount, we would have to cancel the project and return the money to people. But if we have collected $35000-40000, it would allow us to develop our watches and prepare them for production.

So why not just ask for $35,000 as a minimum rather than having to go through the hassle of refunding.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

"Chumps stump up $1 MEELLLION for watch that doesn't exist"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/01/ritot_projection_watch_million_dollars_crowdsourced_funding_but_no_prototype_exists/

A million loving dollars. loving hell.

They link to a site that comprehensively debunks the whole thing, just in case anyone was thinking of giving them more cash: http://drop-kicker.com/2014/08/ritot-projection-watch/

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1673957641/free-energy

Nikola Tesla is mentioned of course, and he can't reveal the details because otherwise it would be stolen but it's definitely really working. You know he's serious because it's ALL IN CAPS.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

I checked out the Ritot SmartWatch page again and they're still holding fast to late Winter early Spring 2015 delivery date, even though a prototype hasn't been built. And they're making apps for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone. There, right there. That's proof it's fake.

I'm just wondering if they're even going to try and fake a prototype to string along contributors.

Ritot became a 'Forever Funding' page which means, yes, they can keep getting money off dolts...forever! Now up to $1.4m!

There's a discussion going in the comments where people keep asking over and over where the prototype is and Ritot keeps whining about their bank delaying funds.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33108064

quote:

US regulators have taken legal action against a man who spent money raised via Kickstarter on himself.

In 2012, Erik Chevalier raised more than $122,000 (£79,000) to make a board game called The Doom That Came to Atlantic City.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) said much of the money raised went on rent, personal equipment and moving expenses.

In a settlement, Mr Chevalier agreed to honour refunds and to be honest in any future crowdfunding projects.

I know I totally lied and used all that money for myself but honest it won't happen again. Pinkie swear. Cross my heart and hope to die.

Pretty great you can get in trouble and then just promise not to do it again. Does it work for other crimes?

Your honour I'm pretty sure I'm never gonna murder another dude, you can let me out now.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Therion posted:

Crowdfunding is still a legal gray area, I expect that in the future there will be legislation concerning this. Currently nothing obliges project creators to do their job aside from the ~Kickstarter Code of Honor~.

I'm crowdfunding for legislation against crowdfunding. Money may or may not be spent on my own personal expenses, including a foreign jolly to somewhere hot and lots of whores.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/929434055/accolade-shadow-box/

Nick may have misplaced a few 0s on his project's goal here. Or perhaps he's just a super ambitious guy.

Anyway, he wants to make this crappy picture frame with shelving attached and needs your money to do it. Help a guy out to the tune of $10m to achieve this modest dream won't you?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Ville Valo posted:

He actually typed "Expresso."

Color options:
Cherry
Expresso

phew that's enough color options, coming up with fancy names for this stuff is hard

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/288831438/pc-gamers-recliner-stage-1

Check out this lazy motherfucker. Seemingly unaware that reclining chairs already exist, he's begging the internet for $200 to create a design for one based on a biro sketch (gonna use that kickstarter windfall to purchase a ruler for some straight lines). Though I guess cramming a PC inside it is new, even if it is dumb af. Not sure about the practicality of the power cord coming out the front, bit of a trip hazard.

1 pledge reward, which is a personalised thank you video. if the concept is any indication this will be a crayon scribble on a napkin with "thank you" spelt incorrectly.

Challenges: "I want to give this Project the attention it deserves but as a father, my children will always come first."

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

unpacked robinhood posted:

He doesn't mention what the green screen is for, I assumed it was an integrated facecam minecraft streaming system ?

It's so you can simulate a virtual family and home during twitch broadcasts so the world doesn't find out you're playing videogames in a basement atop a nightmare robo-chair.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Madcosby posted:

I'm thankful he labeled the power cord, green screen and moue pad, but what is that other thing? A framed photo of the family?

It looks a bit like a crude cartoon pig holding aloft a trident. Angry Birds shrine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

quote:

Bianka / Bang Bang Age 19

Blond Waitress, “B” is one of the hard working wait girls that is in her first year university studying law at UNSW in Glebe / Ultimo. She is always very open with Richey one of the apprentice chefs with her sexuality and always has a new story to tell of her escapades. In ep 7, she drop's a plate and runs in to the kitchen screaming “Hide me!! Ya have to hide me.. I’ve kinda done all the boys in that group in the bar! Well, they are all in a band, and I was a grouppie...” the whole kitchen cracks up!

Spoiler alert jeez