Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Man, thats really sad that the creator has basically suffered a mental breakdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Exmond posted:

Huh almost like the Tropes vs Women in Videogames kickstarter as well..

Shes actually documented what the funds have been used for.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have no money so I'll spend five dollars to buy nothing with the promise of getting nothing in the future. Gotcha.

Its about getting the joy of seeing something you think should exist come into creation.

Edit: Same reason to knock up a married friend's wife, you don't get anything and your family name dies with you, but you made it happen.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Can someone explain to me why Kickjacking is bad? Not being snarky, I really don't know much about the situation. I'm hoping to get my Kickstarter up in June and have done a lot of reaserch, but I also value to words of a Goon.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

well you see, when you're asking for money and people pledge to give it to you, and then you get more money so they actually have to give it to you, but its because you had to raise the funds directly instead of from the crowd, then their confidence is shaken because...

Crowdfunding is 98% feels and 2% business. Every kickstarted project has been funded because people are effectively a charity, supporting something they want to exist, rather than investing with an expectation of profit. A bit part of the feels here is that "the crowd" will decide whether or not something exists. So if you start courting specific big-name donators to join the crowd, it ruins the magic.

There is no cold robot explanation that makes sense. It is just how people feel about things. There is literally no logical reason to donate to a kickstarter.

Okay, makes sense. Especially with $20,000 that is like... a major step. If it was like one day before the project and I was down $1,000 and my father then donated the money being a good sport- thats him being a nice guy and not being an investor. Someone who is asking a crowd for money but can secure a $20,000 investment really defeats the purpose of Kickstarter.. people who would never get that money.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm usually chill but when people try to profit off of national tragedies I think they should be cross listed with the drone strike list. However, these people just seem to be misguided.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Pregnancy blood test extension for the iPhone for sex workers.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

They got like millions of dollars in another Kickstarter last year.

To remove one banner ad from their site.

To be fair, it probably costs a lot to keep their site up. Not nearly that much though. I'm hoping some of the money went to their charity.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Just sent my Kickstarter in for approval, and have gotten good feedback and am thinking its looking really nice. Launch is getting me anxious.

I'm buying banner ads for SA, some serious and some more lighthearted, but does anyone have any general advice in how to get my name out there? Such as what sites to buy ads on. I've contacted basically everyone there is to contact by mail and by email, and am going to keep doing so.

I know theres a thread for advice, and I've been following it- however the advice I'm asking from you all is not how to make it great... instead it is how to make it not suck in the ways most people fall into suckage.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Some people want to buy the IPs that Atari owns. Not a bad idea in and of itself, but of course it's Flexible Funding so they get to keep all the money they get whether or not they raise enough to actually buy anything.

If there was a way, I would Kickstart buying Battle Tanx back for that game to come back. Brood Queens for life.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

JossiRossi posted:

I am always kind of surprised what kinds of Kickstarter ads people buy for the forum.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dmfelt/infection-first-contact-a-visual-novel

As I Goon, this was the first place I picked to advertise. I'm not the artist and art is the main reason we are Kickstarting this project, but I'm not going to sit here and defend my project piece by piece. I'm going back to my non-stop working to make the Kickstarter page better. No matter how many times I looked over the preview, and how many people I showed it to and got constructive comments on, there are so many things I'm frantically working to ad and change.

Anyhow, this is not me angry or trying to defend myself- this is me posting to say I mean my promise. I will work to make my product the best it can be because I take pride in it and because someone putting their faith in my product deserves that. For now though, I'm working non stop to update the page to show that I'm taking that promise seriously. I'm glad I saw my project posted here, it lets me know I'm right in refining and improving the page.

Anyhow, you guys rock, learned a lot of lessons from you all and keep on learning them. This post must read like a guy running on four hours of sleep is writing it, because, well, you know, I am. New goals set, to go from posted in this thread to incorrectly posted in this thread (since its for bad ones).

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Death Himself posted:

A big thing which indie game devs looking to finally do a "big project" gently caress up on all the time is trying to get all the art assets lined up BEFORE they prototype. Make a short but playable prototype first and have your artist then do up some artwork into the blanks you left. Then you have something you can actually show people in a video. Asking for money is easier when you have something like that to show. It doesn't matter if you end up throwing everything from the prototype out and start from scratch once you get funded.

This is exactly what I'm doing now. I'm sorry for skipping over the other posts, I'll answer all of you later- but right now I'm doing just that, getting up just that video. Thank you all for your comments, I really mean that. Now then, before I go back to running around:
  • Visual Novel is reliant on text, art, and music. Our writer does have previous experience, and we have numerous editors that are drat good. I'll make sure to add that in 2.0 as soon as I frantically get it up.
  • I'm using filler images in the video, because the way we've done this so far is we have it written and programmed so scenes are in numbered blocks and final art can be slipped in easy. This will be stressed in the video.
  • Our artists are working at incredibly reasonable prices, and they are talented. I'm really lucky to have them. I'm going to get the prototype demo up ASAP to show that we have a game, and we have quality artists I'm proud of.

I'm going back to rushing now, but thanks all of you again. Also, you are the protagonist- you never see yourself except if you are in a suit. The art shown, well, not sure what you are pointing to but the there are issues with resolution that are a bit daunting. Issues from the web side, issues I'm going to fix.

Will be back, just want to stress again I'm reading all of these posts and am out working non-stop because of them.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Exmond posted:

In this ground breaking kickstarter you play a game and YOU ARE THE MAIN CHARACTER! (Ground breaking video game!)

Edit: How does shipping work with kickstarter? Its $50 shipping to outside U.S, being from Canada that seems a bit ridiculous

I'm not claiming to be ground breaking, I'm saying that I'm going to make the best product I can. Still working on video and a thousand other things, non-stop. Not complaining though, I knew this would take hard work from start to the middle to the end.

Shipping with Kickstarter was very weird with shipping, it asked for one number if something is offered outside of the US. Anywhere in the US, meaning that Joe Canada could ask for it (which is cheap) or that Mike Wong could ask for it costing a lot (had a friend in Taiwan who I shipped to once, was worth it but man it was costly.)

I'm looking into ways to change that, or figure out how to refund any of the shipping cost that is not used, but right now polishing up the art assets and showing how talented the people I'm working with is my main priority. gently caress, its one of like three priorities- video is big too. Might as well get an image mock up first while I work on the video.

I spent a long time finding people who I could afford and who I think are talented enough to make this game. I found an artist duo in Canada who work incredible together, someone who has written and directed films that I find top notch, and lastly I have two editors who are fantastic enough to have been English majors but sound minded enough to pick a more career friendly major.

I have not shown their talent enough, and I have not shown that this project is something more than another failed Visual Novel weaboo pipe dream. That is what I'm working non-stop to change, to show that, and I thank this thread for letting me know that. When my update to it all is done, I'll let you guys know. You've honestly been a fantastic help.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Thank you all for the feedback. Smart, brutal, and correct. Honest feedback is why I love this thread, and why I'm trying to make sure I'm not defensive or writing like so. Goons, I've learned more in the past week that I've learned in the past three years of school. Well, no, but the past week has really made the lessons I've learned in marketing/statistics/advertising click. Now... theory does not always translate into reality, but I'm improving. Once again, I know this is not the Kickstarter help thread but I got a lot of feedback from here so I assume coming back and asking for more info on why mine is awful is okay- if not, let me know and I'll move.

Currently I'm still working non-stop on this, and have updated the video to actually show the game. My co-writer who actually knows how to edit video, record audio, and those things is gone- so I've had to teach myself and re-vamp over the course of four days. But thats my job as producer, or project head, or whatever title is correct- to overview the creative process, and if things go down hill, step in. I'm still working on the audio in the pitch video, still trying to improve it, and doing those other things- but right now a few things have changed. I'm going to bullet point them here, and if I find I need to take a sanity break, I'll come back and read/respond to more individual questions people have given me.

New Video:
  • Old video is gone, new video is up. Still working on the new video, probably going to re-record the audio as I get a better handle of the settings. Best case scenario I'm going to send a list of phrases and how long they have to be and send them to my writer so he can british voice over them.
  • New video's audio is not what I want it to be, but anything was better than the previous video. I'm working right now on having more gameplay present in the video, and removing a few scenes that don't add much to the video- making it short, informative, and a "hook".
  • New video shows the engine the game is running on, but I'm currently plugging in in-game environments instead of the examples I currently have.
  • General improvements, going to look at it and look at it again and see what is needed and what can be cut.
  • Any feedback on what should be shown that is not, what is shown that should be expanded, and what should be cut would be great. You guys are brutal, and I mean that in the best way. I taught myself Adobe Premier Pro and Adobe Audition in the past week to do this job while my video/audio guy is indisposed, and now that I'm half as comfortable with it as I am with Photoshop its only going to get better.

Other New Things:
  • Editors, my lovely editors, have revised the text content of the page. There is always room for improvement, so let me know.
  • There is a section explaining past experience for our four core team members, showing that they are very talented people. When everything else is done, I'm going to have a video profiling our team (about a minute each) to show their passion, commitment, and talent.
  • FAQ is up, which answers some questions.
  • Community outreach, talking to different gamer groups to explain my game and get feedback.

Things I'm Working On Now:
  • Long Game Footage Video - Although black and white and bare bones, this is a video I need to get up for people to see. It will show off our game's engine, explain that we have the game's text written and how it all works. Showing off branching story lines, the user interface, many other things, and lastly explaining how we have the written text divided. (Its because its easier for us to revise and edit the chunks before they are in the game, then thanks to how each chunk is coded "S1B-BA-AACAN" we can plug it into Ren'Py very simply.
  • The Core Team Video - Showing off our team, what they have done, their commitment to the project, things like that.
  • New Video Upgrade - Removing the parts not needed, upgrading the audio or even re-recording it. I've mentioned this above.
  • Free Demo - I can code on the fly, so I'm going to code a short side story and make it available to download in order to demonstrate how things work. I'm running on empty so forgive me if some of these sentences sound weird.
  • Opinions and Interviews - We are having various people write about issues for our blog, and then interviewing us. Basically they write three paragraphs about an issue in general media, in gaming specifically, and lastly how they view it and deal with it personally. Then they are going to grill us, ask us real questions, and get honest answers. They have total control, no censorship. This is not really being done by me, its being done by them, and really does not matter too much for the Kickstarter but is something that I want going on while this project goes.

So yeah, sorry if I'm not supposed to post a post like this, but you've all given me great feedback and I thank you for it. If you want to, keep on doing so, shoot me a PM if you want. Some quick answers since this is a nice break for me.

CommissarMega posted:

Isn't that the same thing? It's what I meant, certainly- can't they just cancel the KS, spruce things up a bit and come back?

Yes. This may end up being what we do- however, this really has been an amazing experience and if it does not pass this will be the case. We will look at things, look at them harder, revise, revise more, look at them again, run them past goons, revise, and revise.

te="Ville Valo" post="417218680"]
I'm still not getting why you didn't wait to put up the Kickstarter until you had some of this stuff. The only explanation I can think of is the delusion that "Hey, maybe people will flood us with money and we won't have to put in any actual effort."
[/quote]

That was not it, and I've thought about the reasons why we did not have this stuff up initially. I can't tell you how many guides I read, projects I dissected, and people I contacted. Having the green screen seemed important, and it was difficult to get, hence why we thought we had to make do with our footage. This was wrong. No other way to say it. HD video and green screens and head shots don't make an indie game, we should be seen once or twice to put a human face on the project and then the rest should be showing the game itself. That's what I'm working on now, and working hard at it. We had a lot of this stuff, we just made a mistake I still can't explain. I just now am working to avoid it.

Fatkraken posted:

You have to be a fantastic editor to be an English major now?

Not at all, I phrased that poorly. What I'm saying is we have very talented editors that I am letting do their job. My point was, I have editors that really are skilled.

Fatkraken posted:

When you say the game is "written", do you mean you have a working game that can be played the entire way through but just has placeholder stick-figure art, or do you mean you have a script written and are still waiting to get the programming bit done? If it's the former, then show it in the video!

It is written as in I have word documents, and I'm going to show exactly what you've said in the next video. I'm trying to find a way to record my desktop while doing this, which is a short google search away. The programming is really complicated for me to explain now, but the simple answer is nonexistent. We have everything with a label explaining where it goes, place holders, and an interface we are working on making look better. I'm going to get this stuff up as soon as possible. The best way I can explain it is that it is programmed so that CAP-HAPPY1 is in scene "S1B-BA-AACAN". This allows the editors to comfortavly edit S1B-BA-AACAN.txt, give it back to the programmers, and then plug it into scene "S1B-BA-AACAN". I'm sure that makes no sense.

Fatkraken posted:

Your website says "One major goal of this work was to explore themes of nationality, race, religion, and sexuality all against the backdrop of a futuristic space adventure". Your kickstarter doesn't. Why? Have you changed your minds?

Not at all, I actually have an edit I'm putting in now about why we are exploring those themes. Its a bit hard for me to explain here, but its not diversity for diversities sake. We looked at who would be on this kind of ship, where they would come from, then sculpted characters from there. Good characters are complicated, so no one of these characteristics define them, but they are also not downplayed. I have it in a file how to say this better, so I'm just going to make the main point- good science fiction as I remember wonders. It asks what if, and in a lot of my favorite science fiction, it explores modern and historical issues against a futuristic backdrop. I'm nuking that website since its poor quality, but thank you for reminding me to make that point clear. That is essential, and just really embarrassing to have forgotten.

Fatkraken posted:

Your ship design doesn't look like it would hold a lot of cargo. I'm seriously nitpicking now, but go look at cargo ships in real life, and cargo-based space ship designs from movies and other games. You'll notice they have enormous cargo holds, or act as tugs for huge containers. Your ship looks like a bubbly little gradius fighter. It's not a huge thing, but it kinda betrays a lack of thought and consideration.

Going to explain this a bit more, but basically the ship is like that for a reason. It was bought by a young The Captain because it was used and cheap, in plain terms it was the space equivalent of a party bus that highschoolers get for prom. Almost exactly that, which is why the nurse is not a sex bot. As an entertainment unit she would do things like make drinks from a library of thousands, deal blackjack, flirt but never more than a waitress would, and basically make sure everyone is having fun. The reason she is now the nurse is because programming can be changed. Those same hands programmed to elaborately shuffle a deck of cards precisely can use the same dexterity when giving a simple shot. The simple diagnostic ability originally meant to make sure to gauge how tipsy a guest is can gauge the temperature of a patient. This information is going to be updated in the page, along with more fleshed out info on the characters. As for the ship, it was used during war by The Captain which allowed him to make some money possibly smuggling, and ultimately it is now used to ship specialty products.

Fatkraken posted:

You say very little about the actual story, even the premise. A Thriller where "On a cargo ship in space, something goes wrong". That's technically the plot of Alien, but look at the original theatrical trailer for Alien, it gets over a hell of a lot more about what the movie will feel like without huge infodumps and masses of spoilers. Short, succinct descriptions of what the story is LIKE are far more appealing than long character bios, I should find out the captain misses his family through play, not be told it in a blurb, and I DEFINITELY don't need to know it at the pitch stage. Show don't Tell. You're trying to sell me on a concept, not show me all the clever worldbuilding you've been doing, that's for later. Knowing whether or not the spaceship has a robot nurse is irrelevant at this stage.

Yes all of these things, thank you. Going now for there is much to do.

Waffleman_ posted:

This is even more hilarious when you consider that player choices and multiple endings are pretty much part of the definition of visual novels. It's like advertising leveling up in an RPG.

RPGs are more common, explaining multiple endings was for people who don't know what one is. Yes, the question is now raised if I should just target people who play visual novels or people who want to try something new, internal debate.

Exmond posted:

Another thing that bugs me about the Infection video is they are trying to be the first english visual novel company or something like that? But several companies have them beat and there are several niche companies that either translate or make their own (Academagia devs and etc)..

Yeah, that was dumb and not our goal so that is gone. We are not trying to be first, not trying to be the best, we are trying to make the game the best it can be. If the Kickstarter fails, we will take a step back, look, think, and plan. Right now, this post is long and my break from video editing has finished.

Thank you all for the feedback, and I'm sorry I could not answer every question, I just don't want this to be a giant creator bawwwww post. This is a creator thank you post for amazing criticism, and responses to why things are the way they are. Working to make this as great as it can be, so if you have criticisms go for it. I will gladly be featured in this thread as long as my Kickstarter(s) are awful, and I will work to remove awful from my Kickstarter.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

DStecks posted:

Mind tossing us a link so we don't have to go sorting back through the last few pages to find the think you want to sell us?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dmfelt/infection-first-contact-a-visual-novel

I am currently talking things over with my team, but as head of the company and producer I ultimately get to make the final calls. In responding to all the criticism I found one question that I could not answer, and that was why launch the Kickstarter at this point? There is no right answer for that, it was a poor decision, and it was my poor decision. That is why after consulting with my team, we are likely going to pull the plug on the Kickstarter after releasing an update explaining why.

Integrity, transparency, and other things are what we strive for- its in my much better written mission statement that I'm too tired at this point to pull out. We are going to let our backers know why we are ending the Kickstarter, explaining the reasons for this, and getting two important points across:

1. We will not forget those who have backed us at this point, and we thank them for their support.
2. We are not canceling the game, we are canceling the Kickstarter- development is still going on. I don't have to spend 12 hours straight shooting video, I can take my time and do it right. We are doing this for those who have taken an interest in our game, because ultimately ending the Kickstarter now and focusing on just how far we can take it without additional funding is the best thing for the game.

Anyhow, this is all not finalized and I'm a little burned out, I'm consulting team members on their thoughts and drafting what will be our last update should we cancel it. Cancelling the Kickstarter and explaining why, that is the best thing for the game and the best choice to provide our supporters the best quality product. Some people on my team may disagree with me, and I will listen, I will talk, all of us will converse. Then as head, I ultimately will make the decision- and I think its clear what decision is best. This thread really showed that to me, and being able to work two or three hours a day on this game when I am charged and not running on empty really is the best way to have things happen. It is better for us to shut it down ourselves with a statement why than to let it go on as a constantly changing unprofessional looking mess.

The hard part that being accountable and being seen as accountable are two different and tricky things. Thats why you draft things, revise, draft, and have someone who knows grammar edit.

In the end, I spent money on ads for a Kickstarter that will likely cancelled. This cost probably $140 of my own money which would have been spent on a stupid impulse buy. That said, every lesson I learned in my marketing classes clicked in my head, STAT which took me a few times to pass really is something I am glad I learned now and am pursing more knowledge of, and if you divide that by a frantic week... is not a bad price for some real world experience.

So thanks guys, you really have been a big help. This is a project that I've been working on for a long time, and groupthink lead to a few bad choices, choices I'm now looking to resolve. When it comes time for the next Kickstarter to go up, I'll make sure to post the preview here- long before I intend to launch it.

P.S. I'm glad I did not do this on Indiegogo, that site is awful. Kickstarter puts a lot of its priority on creator protection, but does care about backers. Indiegogo has fundamental flaws- if someone needs 10K for a project and gets $500, then they just got money they can't use to finish the project.

P.S.S. Okay, enough of me posting about my project, time to go back to an earlier stage in development- change things up. Anyone who is interested in the project, pm me and I'll let you know how to follow us, but for now I'm soon going back to just being a guy following this thread who happens to take notes on common mistakes.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, this. Chuck an honest explanation in the FAQ section ("We were too keen and jumped the gun with an unfinished pitch!") and you'll be good to go.
The pitch you ran with in this first iteration wasn't the pitch your project deserves (given the amount of work and gumption you've sunk into it) and the low number of pledges is bearing that out. Regroup, rethink, retool, relaunch.

Yep, exactly the plan.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

SupSuper posted:

Well it's a repeat offender. The real question is how these get approved in the first place.

At PAX East 2013 I met the guy who approves everything in the game section, me and him where the only two people in the entire room that wore a dress shirt and tie. The other women on the panel wore nice professional dresses, and the remaining people up there were also dressed proffesional with the exception of the Cards Against Humanity creator who I got to talk to and dressed casually because it made sense for him.

Me and him had a nice conversation, he gave me his email, and I emailed him before putting up my horrible Kickstarter asking for suggestions- we was only able to get back to me about a week into the Kickstarter due to work or personal stuff. I don't remember and its not something I would say if I did, but point is I got to talk to the guy.

We had a nice talk which tied into my story about how we each wore ties- we are not people who can walk around pitching an idea in a t-shirt and jeans. We are not Ken Levin, we work hard and have to show that, the biggest lesson I learned from my Kickstarter- to show you've worked hard and that its made something good.

Anyhow I told the original story to tell you that one to tell you this one: the guy who approves these things is not lazy or stupid. Stuff like this gets through because Kickstarter is very creator protective and tries not to make jump decisions. I also would not be surprised if he has people under him who review the submissions, some of which may let things slip through the cracks. Maybe this skirts the rules and they are hoping its ironic?

No idea how it got by, all I know is the man responsible for approve video games (maybe card games too?) is quick, hard working, and bright. In my experience at least.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

OrganizedInsanity posted:

I'm personally impressed at how this turned out, props to you.

The Kickstarter or how I've accepted my mistakes, handled it, and am working to improve? I'm going to guess the latter.

EDIT: gently caress double post.

Old Doggy Bastard has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Jul 18, 2013

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

What a lovely project. No feathered dinos? Pffft c'mon. Their artists seem okay but budgeting 1k just for the cards is ridiculous - even the lowest paying card illustration jobs pay at $100 per image.

I'm going to feature feathered dinos in my game- just because of how much this thread has taught me. One character is going to have a poster of a dinosaur and :spergin: over how it does not have feathers. Illustrations are very expensive, which is why I'm so lucky to have two artists who will work on the cheaper side. Speaking of... I wonder how my ads for my dead project will go over. Like, must be a mind screw.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I don't know his checking account but shouldn't Spike Lee be able to produce this himself? Like, I'm a failed project creator so everything I say is a little off, but it makes me angry when people with industry connections make Kickstarters- it makes me sad that money did not go into other projects from talented people without those connections. Also, that it is not my money but that be the selfish side of me. Anyhow, just an update on my Awful Kickstarter, I know more what it means to be a boss now and in three days will begin my re-organization smart n' hard working plan. The first part of this is discussing with my team the plan and buying really really really cheap mock ups of the backgrounds I want and one really really cheap portrait of each character blank faced for place holders- then programming the game so that it goes from scene to scene right, then sending off to editors what is written to revise, revise, revise and finally plug in till I have a demo.

Back on point- when I started with no connections I sent out 40 letters and countless emails to reach out, I got four responses if you include Penny Arcade's amazing two responses. Spike Lee has his own production company, can he really not round up the cash himself?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I just want to clarify that when I said cheap cheap art, its because I'm literally asking them for the bare pencil on paper, not because I'm shorting them. The Penny Arcade thing was a joke because the response we got was "UNABLE TO DELIVER, COULD NOT FORWARD" which sums up a lot of things about my awful Kickstarter. That being said, will stop mentioning my project anymore and apologize for doing so.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Spike Lee is a respected director with several projects under his belt that he's created, and as far as I'm concerned it's not in bad taste to ask for donations/preorders on a movie that Kickstarter might give him more creative freedom to make.

After looking into what hes done in the past, I'm conflicted and confused. On one hand I can see that for a lot of projects like Bamboozled he seems to have been given a lot of creative control, but looking at the box office returns I can see how it might be hard for him to get total control and a budget to match. Not sure, but I do think it would be interesting to see what he does with 100% total control. After reading this article- http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/spike-lee-kickstarter-movie-plot/ -I want his movie to be made just to compare the finished product with his pitch.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

OrganizedInsanity posted:

I would pay to see this guy in a Dolemite or blaxploitation film. That or a buddy cop movie opposite of Samuel Jackson.

I think its in Kickstarter's TOS that all buddy cop movies must consist of "one straight laced white cop who plays by the rules and either a wise cracking black partner who knows the streets (e.x. Chris Tucker in Rush Hour) or one who does the tough things no one else will (e.x. Odafin "Fin" Tutuola)" but that may have been an earlier version.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jaytholen/dropsy-a-surreal-exploration-based-adventure-game/

This game looks kind of cool, and the sing along is great but the video does not really cover much of the game itself- which is a shame because it looks interesting. I think asking for money to support living expenses is a little bit of a no-no, but even aside from that $22,000 after the Kickstarter/Amazon cut and hiring a programmer leaves you with very little to live on- although there was that indie game maker who quit, became a street vendor, and doubled his salary.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Crain posted:

Oh poo poo a Dropsy Game. The original was one of my favorite SA CYOA threads up there with Microbe best. A good kickstarter.

Yeah, it seems like a cool project and now I'm looking into Dropsy and trying to peel myself away from it to keep deadlines with my class- drat you Goons!

Orzo posted:

Not sure I understand this at all. Exactly what is the alternative? Let's say you're a programmer and you need money to pay an artist for your game. Now you're just funding that artist's living expenses. What's the difference if it's just for yourself?

I'm trying to think how to explain what I meant, but to me looking at his goal of $22,000 he is left with $19,800 assuming Kickstarter and Amazon take out the biggest possible cut they can. That money then needs to be divided among the programmer he is hiring and himself- which may not be an issue. I don't know what his living situation is and did not catch if he mentioned how long it would take. If $5,000 keeps him afloat for a month (assuming a high level of ramen and visiting parents to steal food) and a month is all it needs then it works out fine.

Basically, what I'm saying is paying for living expenses is very complicated and I may have missed some of those parts in the video. If its going to take six months of development, then it raises alarm. If its going to take a month or two months, its not an issue. Devil in the details.

He should re-launch with more banner ads and a post in Ask/Tell, I think he could definitely get the money if he pandered/reached out/engaged/whored out to the Goons. If he put the lowest thing at 10 Bux, he would only need 2,200 pledges and I'm sure many Goons would donate much more.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

He can always try again later and try to muster up some more publicity in the mean time.

Ads and Goon exposure next time would be smart, its something I would donate to.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I know its not awful but I just watched Malcolm X and I think I just blacked out and threw money at Spike Lee and just bought Do the Right Thing from On Demand.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

particle409 posted:

"Hey guys, everybody send me your headshots so I can make the most generic sitcom promo ever." Looks like they were pulled straight out of a Playbill.

The top three guys look like the same person, and I sure am glad they were able to get that one black girl in because if you are going to try to rip-off Girls or Friends, you got to make some progress. Even with one girl being completely different than the rest.. they still all look the same to me, like I can't recognize faces.

College-educated alpha-males are ruining the level of civil discourse! :gonk: Men don't know how to talk to women anymore! There are rude salespeople everywhere! But don't worry, grandpa is here to save the day! With 240,000 dollars, he can start no less than three free internet websites where people can learn about effective communication, entirely for free! Once these sites are launched, society's level of discourse will immediately go up because
[/quote]

The Civilized Man does not use Flexible Funding.

Old Doggy Bastard has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jul 27, 2013

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Internships are awesome, if they mean something. I find it really exploitative just to talk about using that free labor so casually. They are not talking about it like its helping people passionate break into the industry with a project, they are instead looking at it as a budget solution and easy way for free labor. That is just messed up.

I think anyone who is making an indie game/movie/project should try to cut spending as much as possible, but they should not use people.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

People who actually think a zombie apocalypse would be awesome are people who think they are better than everyone else and have nothing to lose. The popculture thing is because people are dull and lazy, though zombie films can be good because they break conventional horror tropes.

Max Brooks, who released the Zombie survival guide early on and kind of prior to the craze, gave a great panel I got to attend where he talked a lot about this and even how over-saturation would mess things up. Got to talk to him at a signing for a good five or ten minutes with my Dad, he was a really nice and quick witted guy. Sharp. Definitely got his father's timing and picked up how to think fast from Mel's schtick.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Tzar posted:

Hey guys, does anyone else hate PRISM? Let me introduce you to Rapp It Up, the tinfoil hat for your phone! Not only does it stop identity theft, it also stops that evil government from spying on you (until you inevitably remove the phone from it's insulated bag to place a call or receive text messages, which would of course still be intercepted).

Not only does it protect you, but it also extends your phone's battery life, because we all know how phones use less battery when they're in an area with bad reception.

With eleven days left out of sixty, the project needs just a bit over $22k more, so open those tinfoil wallets and let's abolish flight mode* forever!

* Flight mode? More like PRISM-mode! :smug:

I think I know how to pay for all the things I need for my own future Kickstarter project and my own current "We Need Premium Cable" project. I'm going to make a "Birth Certificate Authentication" thing for the iPhone. Its just always going to say false.

Play to your audience!

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

To become an LLC, which protects your rear end, it costs around $140 for an authorized certificate of establishment from the State Secretary. That is what I did because I live in Delaware and our tax laws are amazing- Delaware spread its legs to corporations which is something I don't know too much about or am inclined to speak on.

However, I do know a lawyer wanted $500 not covering fees, for a paper I did myself and had looked over by my small business turned very successful business uncle so becoming a legal entity can be cheap or expensive.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

AlbieQuirky posted:

For LLCs in Massachusetts, it's $500 registration fee and a $500 annual fee to file a mandatory annual report.

Yeah, Delaware may be a bit different but there is a stack of papers I'm going through to make sure I don't accidentally ruin my credit or forget to pay taxes. The only thing that sucks is even if I make $0.00 I still have to play a flat $250 each year.

Nice thing is PNC offers free business accounts, but I've not done a lot of research into them yet. Oh, that's actually what I'm about to do.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

This is strange and disappointing.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Mercury Hat posted:

There's also a free, open-source program called Ren'Py that not only makes it easy to make your game, but it requires no licensing fee or anything to sell your final product. It's a zero-cost start-up if you're doing the assets yourself, sort of like why there were so many sprite webcomics back in the day. Write a bunch of dialogue, paste a character into the scene, add some music and cherry blossoms, then you have the next big hit.

Yeah, Ren'Py is fantastic in that if you really care about your project and have a few hours a day anyone can learn how to program a visual novel cutting down on costs significantly. Really all you need then is to hire a writer, artist, and music person. Unless someone plans on doing that all themself in which case they are either a savant or in over their head.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

opaopa13 posted:

You guys. :3:

New Sticky Note on my Desk for future proffesionalism as a student, buisiness person, and generally someone who wants a job and not to be a douche, "NEVER SAY 'You Guys' EVER"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Man, almost a year later and having had a real job with people I know working in the game industry it sure is weird looking back at my Kickstarter monstrosity. I hope to actually launch something decent in the upcoming months after lots of planning and research... the way it should have been the first time.

I'm going to give a lecture to my friend's class, "My Failed Kickstarter" to teach what I learned through brutal failure and the simple mistakes everyone makes and the not-so-simple ones.