Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Liska posted:

I like that comments are already disabled for the video. Either it was done preemptively, or things got out of hand that quickly.
They were disabled in advance. To quote Anita "Comments are closed on YouTube (for obvious reasons)".

Friends Are Evil posted:

It's as if millions of neckbeards cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

This is awesome and I feel good about backing this.
I'm happy that the videos are being released now. I did get worried about the sparse communications since the project was funded, although the whole project was a rollercoaster ride of huge funding and mass rear end in a top hat trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Is there a collective word for awful internet bullshit, like "grognard" is to gamers? I mean stuff like libertarian bitcoin-having fedora-wearing athiest MRAs on reddit. Either way, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/569272765/the-ron-paul-bust-project?ref=search :psyduck:

England, we need to have a talk.
Reached 2% of its goal. Looks like the free market didn't want it. :v:

Orzo posted:

I don't follow libertarian politics and know very little about bitcoins but what on earth does being an atheist have to do with associating with awful MRAs or having no fashion sense?
There's a major reddity FYGM misogynist vibe in a lot of Atheist communities. As Natalie Reed put it:

quote:

The creepy thought that the reason a lot of outspoken, committed, passionate atheists are choosing this as their arena is because they’re too selfish, too entitled, or too sheltered, to allow any other issues to really matter to them. That they choose this ONE civil rights issue to dedicate themselves to, because it’s the ONLY legitimate civil rights issue that actually affects them, secure in their absence of ovaries, melanin, exogenous hormones, medical devices/supports, welfare checks, track scars and rainbow flags.
Sounds like the sort of people that might want a bronze Ron Paul bust as their god rationally designated idol.

edit: vvvvvv
I skim-read that as "other than they don't wash or go to church anymore". That fits some of the awful youtube atheists.

Guavanaut has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Mar 13, 2013

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SovietSpyGuy posted:

^^^ What he said.

I don't care about any of what she says, what "shrapnel" from a car accident causes heavy metal poisoning? There's no lead or mercury in a car. And very little tungsten, if any. So...what?
There's plenty of lead in the battery, but you'd need to be actively trying to get any of that inside you. Old vehicles can have fun things like selenium (not a heavy metal, but toxic) rectifiers, but again, those are more an occupational hazard for people restoring them than something you'd get as a shrapnel injury.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Waffleman_ posted:

You know, this got me wondering if anybody owned a patent for the wheel. If you did, I don't know how you'd resist the temptation to be the biggest patent troll of all time.
An Australian managed it http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/1418165.stm (as a way to point out holes in patent oversight)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I would totally pledge for a real Uli kickstarter, but how gross do you have to be to exploit one of the internet's most lovable mentally ill people for cash?
He doesn't need money for it, but he's planning to sell it for $34.99 ($39.99 for the deluxe version) when it's completed.

He'd probably get more revenue Kickstarting it for half that amount. Unless I'm seriously underestimating the number of people prepared to drop $40 on a 2D platformer (admittedly one with a ridiculous amount of attention to detail on the parallax).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Alan Smithee posted:

The guide to getting chicks for creepy motherfuckers:

Step 1: Go to developing or even third world countries.

Step 2: Buy a woman for whom being a provider of stronger currency is all she needs to get wet
Step 3: Cheat her out of her money, because just being a creepy gently caress isn't going far enough.

There is a book for that too! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1481852795/

:smithicide:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OldMemes posted:

According to wikipedia, she seems to still get acting gigs and other work, so that just screams "vanity project".

Vanity Projects do not make good kickstarters, even for moderately famous D-list actresses. At least she isn't pitching her MMO idea, I guess.
I blame lack of marketing. I didn't even hear about an MJH kickstarter until after it had failed, whereas I heard about the Mars/Braff kickstarters right from the first hour. Where were they announcing this?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

eithedog posted:

While indeed it's pretty great from the technological point of view, I feel queasy about the application. What is the purpose of this, what kind of sense does it have - why would you order something like that? If you'll indeed need it, as you're delving into world of neurology, and yes, if it actually serves a purpose I might be fine with it. Otherwise, no, not really - and I guess the problem I've got here mostly is that people will use these things for fun.
I remember the remote control roaches being an actual thing in EE and entomology a few years back. Applying direct electrical stimulus to cockroach antenna and 'steering' it is an already proven thing, and even reached the stage of homebrew microcontroller kits maybe a couple of years ago.

Unless I'm missing something, there is nothing left for this kickstarter to prove other than selling the same equipment as a home hobby kit.

edit: The people running the kickstarter are the same people who published the kit instructions for the homebrew version a while back.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cyril Sneer posted:

The thing I mostly don't get about this roach thing is how many people could realistically use it? You're pretty much restricted to places where those bigass roaches live, and on top of that, how does the attachment procedure work? I'm assuming you'd need tiny tweezers, scalpels and a magnifying glass or something. I don't see how this kit is practical outside of a laboratory.
You can buy Madagascan hissing cockroaches and other large roaches in breeding colonies. They're popular as a food source for people who keep reptiles and amphibians as pets, and some people even keep the roaches as pets themselves.

I'm not sure if this kit is supposed to encourage independent neuroscience discovery or if it's just the modern version of:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If they're standard metric weights it would be 2x 1.25kg and 2x 2.5kg, so 7.5kg and not 8kg.

Which doesn't detract from the fact that it's a stupid way to prove the durability of a wallet hinge.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ultraklystron posted:

Finally, something more cringe worthy and dated than the adult male sized My Little Pony/Jose Cuervo-meme crossover shirts in the window of my local comic shop!
Is... is this a real thing? Got any pictures?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

theflyingexecutive posted:

Mmmm yes a festival for people obsessed with technology in a place that has none of it and few ways to use it.
It would work for the same reason that the original did. Drugs. Lots of them.

Giant neon Carl Sagan would approve.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fatkraken posted:

None of these clever wallets would be much use in Europe (at least on their own), because we actually use coins in day to day transactions. The smallest paper bill in the UK is worth $7.50, and the largest coin about $3.
Ahem:
:scotland::scotland:

The Bank of England should bring those back too, they're a lot more convenient for nights out (and microwallets :v:)
e: Also a lot harder to counterfeit. A ridiculous percentage of pound coins are fake.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

I live in Scotland and I haven't seen a pound note in close to ten years. For all intents and purposes, they're gone.
Bank of Scotland completely stopped doing them years ago, but RBS still issue them and they sometimes float around. It's a shame really, because I prefer the idea of a nice foldable note to a fat bulky coin that has a 3% chance of being made of lead and tin.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I'd think that paper bills are way easier to fake if anything. Were these polymer or is US currency not worth enough to merit metal counterfeits?
I think a lot of it is that most people just don't expect coins to be counterfeit. There are some pretty atrocious fakes handed out as genuine currency.

Most UK bills have multiple anti-counterfeiting measures, such as watermarks, metal strips, UV markings, microprinting, etc. Overall about 0.0047% of banknotes are assumed to be fakes, as opposed to 3% of pound coins, so that's quite a difference. Also when the print technology exists to implement anti-counterfeiting, the cost of applying it to a new bill is low, whereas if a counterfeiter manages to work around that, chances are they'll go for the higher (but not too high) value ones, so the £20 makes up most of that 0.0047%. In comparison the technology needed to fake comparatively high value coins like the one pound or one euro is not anywhere close.

It doesn't help that the Swazi lilangeni coin is minted from the exact same planchets as the British pound coin, so it has the same metal, diameter, and mass at a fraction of the cost.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Alan Smithee posted:

Can I buy a pair of assless chaps and use its picture as a concept for my new "wallet?"
Just use a picture of an rear end.

Contains a concealed storage compartment for storing your USB stick of bitcoins.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Well Manicured Man posted:

How do you use the phone at all if there's no way for your fingers to reach the touchscreen?
You wait for their next kickstarter, the nostril stylus.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PepperSinclaire posted:

In other dumb culinary Kickstarter news, local to me is this gimmicky nonsense. Environmentally friendly, you say? I would have thought not adding frivolous electronic components into a mug would be pretty environmentally sound, but hey, I'm not a design student, so...
The Smart Mug made funding, and then was cancelled yesterday. Apparently due to some kind of manufacturer dispute.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

theflyingorc posted:

I am legit surprised that the restaurant is opening. I can't decide if it's more awesome for it to succeed or fail spectacularly.
Either way, we can look back and say "GBS truly achieved something beautiful".

And by something I mean http://tindeck.com/listen/nmbc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BattleMaster posted:

I wonder if anyone in the 15th century told people that they were relying too much on movable type
Yes. 'Technology is ruining everything' and 'kids today are assholes' are two of the staple sentiments of humanity.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2010/02/dont_touch_that_dial.html

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like how the adjustable tube is guaranteed to trap piss. And how it saves you having to lift a lid, but you have to flush it with a glass of water or something. Or more likely leave it stinking of piss.

And how it's already been solved in a (marginally) less ridiculous way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGghQkeUfnk

e: What the gently caress is this?

quote:

Designed to adjust to any angle - works great in the “morning” :)
Are they implying that you can angle it so that you can bonerpiss all over the place while standing in the middle of your bathroom?

Guavanaut has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Feb 2, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Don't waste your cashew.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He should try finding the end of the 2 times table first.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noyemi K posted:

Right, so what constitutes a "2" because a circuit is either on, or it's off.

Maybe if you throw a banana cream pie at the machine, the gunk on the ICs is what generates the 2??? How could we not have known this!!!
Ternary computers exist, they were popular in the Soviet Union during the early days of computing. Usually they used balanced ternary, which is -1, 0, and 1, so if the circuits ran on 5 volts the states would be -5V, 0V, +5V.

It gives you a marginal advantage when working with negative numbers, and is exactly nothing to do with whatever this guy is thinking.

e: quote hosed up

Guavanaut has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Mar 2, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

How exactly? I mean you can only represent 0 or 1 with a single bit; having polarity on all your bits is kinda worthless for working with negatives, and you'd have to store the number as....

Are you sure? The whole point of ternary would be so that you could store more numbers in the same number of bits, no? I mean "takes care of negatives better" just makes no sense to me here.

Wikipedia mentions that Russian ternary computers had the advantages of "lower electricity consumption and lower production cost." which makes sense; it says nothing about negative values.
If you use balanced ternary throughout (including storage), it saves on the number of bits that are needed to store any given value. Normally you'd have to use 2s complement, signed bit, or some other method of storing the number, which means that storage bits get used up representing the sign of the number, e.g. you can store -10 as 0-0- with no flag. There are some other calculations that are simplified through balanced ternary, like fractions, but I forget exactly how. It comes at the disadvantage of needing positive and negative power rails and more complex controller circuitry.

I guess balanced ternary might make it faster to calculate pi using the Leibniz formula, if he was in the 60s and building a computer from the ground up. He is going to do none of these things though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DoctorTristan posted:

Pi was proved to be transcendental over 100 years ago you dummies
And back in Bible days they thought it was 3. This guy's going to lay down some new knowledge on those dorks from the Victorian Bible times with computers and poo poo. Like six different computers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

theflyingexecutive posted:

I thought Bible days had a value of 22/7 for pi.
Depends where in the world you're looking at. Hippasus had some idea about irrational numbers (which could not be reduced to a ratio) some time in the 5th century BC, and mathematicians in Egypt and Mesopotamia had values between of 3.125 (3 and an eighth) and 3.162 (the start of the square root of 10) using geometry way before those Bible verses were written. I wasn't being serious with the pi = 3 thing, but it gets thrown around a lot. Kickstarter guy is not going to find out anything new about pi with his 6 free PCs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Yaos posted:

Time to dust off your fire extinguishers for this "life hack" reversible USB plug adapter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1255122491/ryo-adapter-never-plug-in-your-usb-the-wrong-way-a/

No it can't you loving liars, there's a hard piece of plastic in the way.

Protect them from what?

Everybody call your local electrician, we need to stop using copper wiring because it runs out of charges without this adapter.

Don't worry, they already hit their first stretch goal. When they hit 1000 backers they released an EXCLUSIVE wallpaper background!
And Google is pushing for USB C to become a thing, that completely avoids that altogether.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TetsuoTW posted:

do you wipe your cut/uncut dick back-to-front or front-to-back, or does that depend on whether the toilet paper is hung over or under while women in video games?
Almost a page of stupid nerd arguments and nobody raised the one relevant one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gramovox/floating-recordtm-vertical-turntable
loving belt drive, seriously. Direct drive has been better since the late 70s.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phanatic posted:

Belts are better isolation from the motor's vibration. But you can't DJ with a belt-drive. High-end stuff that's supposed to sound really good (Where "really good" involves vinyl, go figure) frequently uses belt drives, DJs buy Technics with direct-drive platters.
This is a valid point, but more recent brushless motors and better machining has solved most of that. You can often get more accurate speed adjustment with direct drive too, but that hipster vertical one doesn't even look like it has strobo marks.

AlmightyBob posted:

Yeah but all the hipster turntables use belts for some reason. Also I got a lot of PMs from people saying changing the speed by manually moving the belt is common for some reason.
Same reason that they're using vinyl in the first place. "It's old and the mainstream has stopped doing it, so it must be a hidden secret" is the heart and soul of hipsterdom. I'm surprised it doesn't have a tube amp or a huge brass horn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bvoid posted:

I'm surprised how polished this kickstarter is considering what it is. Also, what exactly is it?
It's a scroll winder. For your most treasured whatsapp conversations.