Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The horrible Gender Bender DNA Twister Extreme has gained another $10k in pledges since we last checked in on it. A bunch of the characters are now furries. :gonk:

Holy poo poo they actually managed to find something to add to make it worse :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
One of the advantages of something like an Alphasmart is that it's got no internet and it's really, really hard to edit on. You'd be surprised how much work you can get done on a device that you can't second-guess and delete something on or distract yourself by alt-tabbing to Chrome every 30 seconds. They definitely have a use case for writers.

99.9% of people will do just fine with a laptop, or a cheap Chinese tablet with a decent Bluetooth keyboard, though.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Jedit posted:

The really amusing thing is that George RR Martin has done both. He started writing on a dumb terminal with WordPerfect when that was cutting edge, and 20+ years later he refuses to switch to anything modern.

A lot of it has to do with the idea of 'flow' - writing's really a momentum-based activity. Once you find a system that works and lets you build up speed and thrust in, then that's really what you should stick to. So I can totally understand sticking with something that lets you get into that state easily, even if it's vastly outdated.

The problem is everyone else seeing them use these outdated systems, and romanticise them without realising why the writer is using it.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

What bugs the poo poo out of me is that he lists an existing, real life location where this cafe is supposed to be located and it has absolutely no similarity the 'concept art' for the anime'd location. He's had it drawn as it if was on a corner across the road from the beach, the real location he listed for it is 4 blocks in from the beach in the middle of the street.

Unless there's a strong global warming message in this, how can you gently caress that up? You literally just Google Maps it.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

maybe; there are problems in the world just too big for the Awful Kickstarters thread to solve :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

The Super Noah Ark 3D Whatever Who Gives A poo poo is on Steam because there's a dude doing a modern Wolfenstein 3D engine called ECWolf and if you make Wolf3D work, you get the Noah game for free as it's a very simple port. He reached an arrangement to sell it on Steam and split the profits with Wisdom Tree, with his half going to paying for future development of ECWolf to support other Wolf3D-engine games in the future. It's basically an on-the-nose fundraiser / donation system hosted on Steam.