Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011
Wait, IndieGoGo remove the project pages for projects that are funded successfully and then turn out to be scams? That isn't shady in the slightest...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

Verdugo posted:

As long as they dick you along past the 105 day limit on Amazon Payments refunds there is no recourse outside of a lawsuit.
Yeah, and the only Kickstarter I'm aware of where someone did sue is Hanfree. Didn't do the backer much good - the guy running it immediately declared bankrupcy and it doesn't look like any of the backers are going to see a cent.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

SovietSpyGuy posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure I see the point of a lawsuit in that case. That's a great way to ensure that neither you nor anyone else will ever see the product. Unless it was really that far gone that it was the only choice.
Hanfree was that far gone that it was the only choice - the person running it had said he wasn't going to be able to make the product and claimed he didn't have enough money to refund anyone either.

Also, wow, if I'm not mistaken Torment: Tides of Numenera is going to have the biggest first day of funding out of all the video games Kickstarters so far.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

zandert33 posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springboard/emperors-new-clothes?ref=category

I personally think it's a great concept as an artistic expression... but really wonder who would want to buy this.
Ahahahah, that's both brilliant and hilarious. The videos are worth watching too - I particularly like the one where they explain their Regulated Operator Optical Screening printing technique (or ROOS for short).

makomk
Jul 16, 2011
Mu Thermal Camera - THE GREATEST TOOL TO ELIMINATE ENERGY WASTE. This was on Hack a Day a few days ago, and it's actually kind of cool on paper, but there are a few minor problems. Firstly, it's a Flexible Funding campaign for something that's going to have a whole bunch of upfront engineering costs. Secondly, just the thermal imaging sensor alone would apparently cost way more than the amount they're charging their backers for a complete device. Thirdly, they have no photos or videos showing either the actual hardware or a prototype of it, just renderings and a few videos that may or may not have been filmed on some kind of thermal camera.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

Powershift posted:

He said from athiest communities. People who honestly don't give a poo poo about religion don't join communities of other like minded people to discuss how much they don't give a poo poo about religion.
I'm not sure how to put this exactly, but some atheists - particularly in the US - really don't have the option of not giving a poo poo about religion no matter how much they'd like to. Also, how the hell did we end up talking about atheism in the first place? Ron Paul is pretty openly religiously motivated and I suspect a lot of his followers are too; in fact, libertarianism in general seems to be more popular with groups like engineers which aren't generally anti-religious in the way that (say) hacker culture traditionally has been.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/914635363/lace-anchors-20-a-simple-design-for-simple-people - there's probably nothing awful about the product itself, but is it just me or is the title of this Kickstarter a bit off?

makomk
Jul 16, 2011
I don't think Kickstarter lets you pledge more than $10,000 in one go either, so some trickery was presumably involved to arrange the $20,000 pledge.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011
http://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/internet-speed-booster - one of a whole two campaigns in the Technology section on Trump's site. I'm pretty sure that isn't technically possible, it doesn't need crowdfunding since it's already for sale on their website, and there's also an IndieGoGo campaign for it that's on the road to failure). They have some nice technobabble on their own website though:

http://outbooster.com/info/ posted:

Techie Answer: OutBooster amplifies an incoming signal through a series of patented self powered PoE magnetic transistors and aluminum mini-antennas to force a better bit rate. Then partnering with the best available hardware like gold plated 1000BASE-T Gigabit connections, it reduces the risk of loose or bad wiring. Finally, it balances packet transfer with built-in QoS (Quality of Service) to prioritize traffic and hardware regulation to minimize loops and broadcast storms. All with plug and play functionality to your existing network devices.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They probably just think that any internal part that stores data is called a hard drive, not that that's much better.
Apparently they were originally planning to use an actual hard drive:

quote:

We initially installed a hard drive, but there are issues with a hard drive operating in zero-gravity, so we've switched to SSDs for memory. The SSDs are ready to be uploaded with information, and we've installed and tested the processors that will operate everything.

(The lack of gravity isn't actually a problem as far as I know, but the lack of atmosphere means that if they did send hard drives up, they'd destroy themselves as soon as they were powered on.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

You have to click on houses sometimes to get resources, so people played like five minutes and then flipped their poo poo about how it's "obviously" just a Farmville clone now even though playing for more than five minutes reveals that it, in fact, is not.
Having read the Kickstarter comments and looked at the review videos, you don't just have to click on houses to get resources, you also have to wait for real-time timers that are several minutes long to count down before you can click the houses, and you can pay "gems" in order to skip the waiting which will be purchasable using real money. (Oh, and after the first five minutes the game mechanics mean you spend more and more time waiting and less time clicking.) I've no idea why anyone could think it's a Farmville clone though!