Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Leovinus posted:

Double Fine Adventure didn't even have a screenshot to show off when it launched the Kickstarter. This game's not finished, and we're practically just watching a proof of concept. But what they've got is pretty, the art style is... well, OK, one of the levels looks like poo poo right now, but the black-and-white stuff looked pretty good already, and the concept and central conceit are interesting.

Well see that's the thing, Double Fine Adventure didn't show off a kinda bad proto game. I think there's a certain level of quality of preview for a game where you just shouldn't show it - if you're under that level then you're better off not including it at first, and if you're over it then you should include it to show your series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

lorn Wayne posted:

How was the watch anyway?

A very large amount of them have broken and there's a bunch of problems getting them repaired.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

makomk posted:

Wait, IndieGoGo remove the project pages for projects that are funded successfully and then turn out to be scams? That isn't shady in the slightest...

They do that because the scam projects are likely to be linking or directing people to other scams by the same people. It actually makes sense in order to try to avoid directing people to be scammed further.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Maluco Marinero posted:

They could do the same thing by owning it, retheming the page and content to make it clear that it is a known scam. However it's a lot easier just to sweep it under the rug, walk away and let the press handle it.

Uhhhh just telling people that something is a scam is not enough to keep people from being suckered by it. If you leave up links to the scammers websites and stuff where they can invite people into other scams, then some people are going to ignore the warning you put up and go blindly ahead to be scammed further.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alan Smithee posted:

But transparency is supposedly the only leverage donors have. If they lose their backer-only comment page where are they supposed to compare notes/organize a class action?

Literally anywhere else online. Really organizing on the backers only comments page of a scam project is the least effective way to organize.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alan Smithee posted:

But what if they didn't have the foresight to set up an offsite forum? I know you're going to say "idiots", I'm just saying sweeping under the rug is hardly what I consider "protecting people"

A lot of people don't even know how to use backer only forums or comment pages. Indiegogo's are particularly awful to deal with.

At least on ones I've backed, all you get is a comment box and space to write 500 characters per comment. No threads or anything.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have no money so I'll spend five dollars to buy nothing with the promise of getting nothing in the future. Gotcha.

Kickstarter isn't a preorder service, it's a "yeah i like this idea, I'll give you 5 bucks maybe" service.

There is also no promise of getting anything in the future even if you pledge $10,000

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Orzo posted:

It's like they thought they were being really subtle and clever by naming features that nobody wants (like DRM) as things they could get rid of to cut down on the budget.

"Oh yeah...people will read this and be like...'whoa, I didn't want that anyway, win win!' Suckers..."

I'd bet they're probably going to make their game based off of one of those open-source Simcity clones, if they do make a game.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Young Freud posted:

Has it produced anything yet?

NOTE: OBVIOUSLY INCREDIBLY NWS:
http://offbeatr.com/explore/display/status:successful-projects

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The General posted:

Doesn't count, because SMB2 is just Doki Doki Panic.

Doki Doki Panic was originally created to become the next Mario game, before being shelved for a while, then retooled to match a Japanese tv promotion.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AxeManiac posted:

I didn't know that, that is pretty cool.

There's a good article on it here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/04/the-secret-history-of-super-mario-bros-2/

The intention was originally to make a Mario game that had a focus on moving vertically and doing co-op gameplay. Some of that survived in how SMB2 still has long stretches where you move mostly vertical, and the co-op kinda morphed into the 4 character thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
A lot of those terrible ones are like, fundamentalist Chrisitians who have change nothing about themselves other than they don't wasn't to go to church anymore. That's not a comparison, it's literally what they are.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

steinrokkan posted:

Help a multi-billion media giant down on its luck fund its next low-budget film! Kickstarter no longer has anything to do with its original mission statement.

Kickstarter never said they were only for small time people doing small projects. Their original mission statement was just to hook up People Who Want To See Thing Happen with People Who Want To Do Thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sono posted:

It looks like the weight of the phone would pull the hat off. Is there any way to counterbalance it? Maybe by adding a coffee cup holder to the back of the hat?

People had those things like 10 years ago holding the old bricky iPod Video devices and those weighed a lot more than a modern phone. So i think it's probably find.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Kickstarter cancelling a project because one of the people involved had "too much money" would be pure poison to their brand image considering that two of their most successful kickstarts were from a critically- and financially-successful game development studio and a movie being produced by Warner Bros.

The thing is that they weren't upfront about their money. The Veronica Mars guy or Penny Arcade or Double Fine didn't hide that they had a lot of money already, the lady doing the "oh I need money to send my daughter to camp" did.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

Teaching kids to make games should involve giving them a Raspberry Pi and helping them make a text-based Zork knockoff in BASIC! Its that simple, and then you're actually learning a skill that you can later make into a career, and you're actually producing original content that you made yourself. And you understand how it came together, instead of just clicking buttons on some GUI as you're told to do. :colbert:

Actually teaching kids to make games on a Raspberry Pi in BASIC teaches them nothing that's actually useful to how games are made today. Using someone else's pre-packaged game engine is how most game programming works, and RPG maker would be closer to that.

I mean seriously your proposal teaches kids at best how programming used to be done, it doesn't even hint on object oriented or functional programming paradigms. It's straight up 70s imperative design. And the Raspberry Pi has bizarre constraints on what you can do that aren't useful to learning how to program on real world computers.

Plus kids SUCK at making text adventure parsers. It's just a fact. Teaching them Inform (the programming language) would be way more useful

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crashbee posted:

I know nothing about wind meters, why is this stupid?

If you're holding it in your hand, you're likely to not hold it stable which would interfere with the wind speed measuring, or stand i such a way as to reduce the wind.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Maluco Marinero posted:

After you hit the project minimum, you can remove your pledge but only if it wouldn't drop it back below the minimum. Basically you can't unfund a project but you can lower the height of the success.

No, you can unfund a project. But you can't do it in the last 24 hours of the project. So if it's a week before the project ends, it's allowed for people to take enough out that the project goes back to unfunded. But once you hit 24 hours to go any money put in can only be removed if it won't underfund.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There are a bunch of websites that allow you to monitor Xbox 360 achievements. I don't know if any exist for the PS3's system.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There really are a ton more even worse projects that can't pass the minimal review given before launch you know.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Exmond posted:

It makes me a bit distressed to see the response to the conspiracy that this is for gender reassignment surgery. Is there any proof to this claim, apart from her being silly and talking about the other $25,000 surgery that will improve her life but is not related to the fundraiser at all?

The other possibility is that she's being scammed by an "alternative medicine" doctor into undergoing unnecessary surgery.

There's not really such a thing as poison metal you can have inside you for 2 years, and then die in a few more months unless its removed now. If there was real poisonous metal it would already be too late for that to make a difference.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If they really are trying to hide something else, then they shouldn't have thought up such a suspicious cover story.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There's the whole thing where since Chloe weren't actually upfront about what was being funded, now the whole thing is taken down and they're getting nothing, but are still getting a bunch of backlash directed at them. A lose/lose situation.

Noyemi K posted:

In less depressing and triggering news, there's a brilliant chap trying to make bank off some film adaptations of Edgar Allen Poe works. Not a single dime has been pledged.

I do wonder how decent the one he's already made is. Maybe he should have waited til that came out so he could get people actually interested in it?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JossiRossi posted:

He's playing fast and loose with the source material isn't he? Also the visual aesthetic looks garbage on the one he did but has yet to release. Just look at the shot of guy and girl about to kiss (you remember that part in the Tell Tale Heart right?) I bet he turns Fall of the House of Usher into a zombie flic.

Hey now, loosely adapting Poe stories for film has a proud history! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Corman#The_Edgar_Allan_Poe_adaptations

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Noyemi K posted:

I imagine a good aesthetic for a Poe film is nothing that modern filmmaking is subtle enough to deliver. The unnerving, the uncanny. It doesn't work with the setup he's got going. It looks like he's trying to do a big budget production with a brentillion crappy special effects.

Unrelated tangent: Install Gentoo, I keep thinking your avatar is Zeta Gundam's head when I look at it out the corner of my eye. I didn't even know it was a cat until a few days ago. Was this intentional?

Oh sure, but hey, it's not like using the name and basic idea of a story to make a completely different movie is that uncommon. It's certainly possible to make a movie that's at least enjoyable that way.

Also no I don't think the guy who made the av of his cat for me intended it to look like anything other than his cat.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Jesus, I never heard of this happening. So this chick asking money to not die is "suspicious activity" for IndieGoGo?

Because the surgery they claim they're getting isn't actually plausible at all.

There's a ton of people who post Indiegogo campaigns for specific real treatments like "getting chemo" or whatever and go through fine.

They've either been suckered by a quack doctor, or they're hiding what they actually want to pay for. The "toxic metal from 2 years ago but if i get it removed right now I'll be fine" thing is definitely not medically true.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fatkraken posted:

It's not fair to the real pledgers to embark on a project that they thought you would be spending £10,000 on with barely half that. And if you only actually NEEDED £6,000 in the first place, why did you say you needed more?

Anyone with a half a brain would try to get way more than the minimum needed for a project, in order to buffer against potential cost overruns.

In the projects you see where the goal was reached "naturally", the project was probably actually overfunded as well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Realtalk: most of the ones nominally for whole groups that spring up after these things tend to be pretty scammy. Something for one guy tends to lead to a lot less waste.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Young Freud posted:

What's interesting about those shoes is that, last month, it was reported on the news aggregate sites that there's some unofficial discrimination going on in the USPS involving the tape they use in packaging.

It's not really interesting, the more strange things you wrap around packages arriving from foreign lands, the more closely inspected they're going to be and the more likely it is to mess up their arrival.

One thing they say is "An unsettling find – remember, mail-tampering is a federal offense." - USPS employees are fully allowed to "tamper" with mail, especially packages, especially packages that have been sent from overseas. First class letter mail is generally sealed against everything, but goods shipped from overseas are liable to inspection pretty much at will.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BoutrosBoutros posted:

That is not the same thing as tampering and you know it. USPS isn't allowed to lose your poo poo because you put weird tape on it.

Actually? They are explicitly allowed to refuse delivery of anything suspicious. Anything coming into the United States can be held at customs eternally if they feel like it. This is federal law.

You'd probably get a similar loss rate with other bizarre taping done. It's the way it works.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tears In A Vial posted:

I don't know why those atheist shoes offend me so much, I'm not even religious. It's just so drat smug.

I know someone who bought them just because it was a kickstarter, and he says they're rather uncomfortable and have serious lack of grip, especially on wet surfaces.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Uhhh it says Ich Bin Atheist because it's created by a bunch of German dudes who live in Berlin.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pomp posted:

You don't live in the American south, do you?

Most people have more sense then to do that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Modern Day Hercules posted:

No, that's not really the problem at all. The aim of the experiment was to find out if their packages were getting lost more often than others. You can certainly argue that their control group wasn't that great, it would have been much better if the controls had tape that said something more innocuous than "ATHEIST" rather than no tape at all.

But the point still stands, the whole purpose was to properly demonstrate that their packages were being lost more than they should have been. You don't answer the question why until after you can demonstrate that something is actually happening in the first place.

They didn't demonstrate it actually happening though, they didn't even show any kind of proof. We were never given any info on how many got lost before or after their "experiment" and we weren't given proof of failures of shipment. They could have, for example, posted up a big list of tracking numbers, and then anyone could see whether or not each individual thing arrived (and it wouldn't reveal the address of the person meant to receive it, nor the address they sent from).

They just posted "oh no we totally lost more of them with the tape on" and expected everyone to believe them at face value. In some cases they even just complained that "they took longer to be delivered" which is exactly what you expect with international package mailing arriving to the US, since all sorts of things can upset the automated sorting equipment and shuffle off a package to be manually sorted before going on to the next step.

Nintendo Kid has a new favorite as of 16:34 on May 6, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Drunk Tomato posted:

The reason it's scummy is because kickstarter is supposed to be a way for people to fund projects that they can't on their own.

Not really. It's supposed to be a funding platform, period. As in, for anything.

This has been clear with Kickstarter since they started, they merely gained an indie rep by the fact that big time people didn't have any reason to use them at the start.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Drakkel posted:

Don't forget the fact that they're also going to charge money for each episode of the podcast, too.

Everyone who contributes to the kickstarter gets those episodes free as long as they donated at a certain tier though

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah seriously, it always came off way more like they were being scammed by someone to explain some other underlying health issue.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

It never would have gone viral, and it wouldn't have raised a tenth of what her life saving surgery campaign did.

^^ - This is the thread about terrible Kickstarters. Are we only allowed to post about terrible Kickstarters we've backed?

Her campaign raised $0 because it was all revoked. So I'm pretty sure literally anything else would raise more (for example, she's an indie game dev, why not try to fund a new game and use the money for surgery?).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jefferoo posted:

The sheer amount of people naively claiming if she was just up front about it she would have gotten it all, no problem, have absolutely zero idea how transphobic the internet is - when this story blew up on Twitter, a trans friend of mine spoke up and received an endless amount of bigotry and hatred her way. A games journalist proceeded to sit on the knowledge of her trans status and her threats of suicide instead of getting her help, then proceeded to out her trans status without her consent, because, "well, she already tried to kill herself, so gently caress it, and THE GAMING PUBLIC NEEDS TO KNOW."

That's why I said she shoulda just put up a campaign for her to make an indie game of some sort, since that's apparently what she's known for making to start. People hand out thousands for that kind of stuff all the time and there'd have been no chance of a canceled campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah. What the gently caress? And is it normal to have 1000+ friends?

Since being facebook friends doesn't really mean much, a lot of people will just add everyone they ever speak to or play a game with and so on.