Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

Video Game High School
SA Forums superstar Freddie Wong managed to fund his web series for $273,000+

Season 2 recently succeeded funding and remains the highest funded in Film & Video (full disclosure, I know him personally)

Holy poo poo he got over $800,000. :toot:
I must be some kind of lunkhead for being a KS junkie and missing that project, I definitely would have thrown in a few bucks if I'd known about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I guess someone should also mention Kicktraq on the first page. It's a site that creates handy graphs on the progress of Kickstarter projects so you can see how many pledges they're getting, whether they're gaining steam or dropping off, etc.. If you're interested in the mechanics of crowdfunding it's a fascinating site.

Here's their mini chart for the 3Doodler, a plastic extrusion pen that allows you to draw in 3D:

As you can see they've hit a bit of a plateau but they've been so incredibly successful so far I'm sure they don't care. If anything, they're probably panicking like crazy because they've now got a metric poo poo-ton of orders to fill.

Kicktraq's other useful feature is that it's a KS news aggregate site and they post links to a whole bunch of interesting Kickstarter articles from around the internet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Toffile posted:

No list of bad Kickstarters is complete without Lore.

After the Lore project inevitably died an ignoble death the creator RealPlayersGrind announced he was going to work on a smaller game until he was ready to relaunch Lore. He started posting 30 second video updates of his new game last week. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4taJ_61wv0c

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadowlz posted:

If this is real, it's kind of sad, since he probably as some sort of disorder.

From reading his various posts it seems that he was a really bright student at one time but he suffered an acquired brain injury and there's the result.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Indiegogo's Terms of Use policies on dealing with shady stuff is pretty much the same as Kickstarter's:

quote:

By way of example, and not limitation, your promise means you will not use the Service:
c. viii. Make any false or misleading Post (such as false or misleading information in the Campaign, in your Campaign Profile (such as misrepresenting the Beneficiary or Campaign purpose) or in a comment)

You agree that we are only acting as a passive conduit for your online distribution and publication of your Member Content without any obligation to monitor Member Content or disputes between Users or Members. You are responsible for protecting yourself from Member Content or Indiegogo Content which is offensive or harmful.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, you acknowledge and agree that Indiegogo may, but is not obligated, in its sole discretion and judgment, to:

a. verify your use at any time as a User or Member
b. permanently or temporarily terminate, suspend, or otherwise refuse to permit your access to or use of the Service or your account(s) or to remove any Member Content, Posts or other content or block any individual or entity for any reason (or no reason at all)
c. delay or withhold the payment of or reverse or refund any Contributions or other amounts

All without notice and without liability for any damages and without necessarily consulting any other parties. Upon termination for any reason, you continue to be bound by this Agreement.

quote:

We are an open platform. You understand and acknowledge that you may be exposed to Member Content that may be inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or objectionable. Member Content should not be viewed as being an endorsement or opinion shared by Indiegogo. You agree that Indiegogo is not liable for any damages or losses resulting from such Member Content.

Basically "We're just a platform, we're not going to get involved in any dramas."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SaltyJesus posted:

A small break from awfulness.

InXile just launched their second Kickstarter. It is for a spiritual sequel of Planescape: Torment called Torment: Tides of Numenera.

They've got over a quarter of their goal and 4,000 donors already and it hasn't even been up for 24hrs, they're gonna sail it home.

In other KS news, a documentary funded via Kickstarter won an Oscar.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 16:20 on Mar 6, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SaltyJesus posted:

As of writing this, it has been up for exactly 1 hour and 22 minutes.

5,426 Backers
$297,850 pledged of $900,000 goal

... and another 500 backers and $40k since your post. Daaaamn.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maluco Marinero posted:

Haha, that's pretty clearly a load of bullshit. No video, no links to a website, no links to a community. And yet they got $13,550 in the pot.

They've only raised 5% of their goal in five days so I don't think that $13,550 will be going anywhere.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maluco Marinero posted:

Oh yeah, I'm aware of that, It's more that that many people bought into it in the first place. They can't all be joke pledges surely?

Custom-modding an entire city and then destroying it with a natural disaster sounds fun, I guess? :shrug: The game almost sounds like a cross between SimCity and Minecraft so that'll float a bunch of people's boats.

Edit: I'm not trying to defend that terrible pitch, just to understand why people pledged.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Mar 7, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well lookee what just hit youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6p5AZp7r_Q

IT BEGINS :getin:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Idiots are already ripping and rehosting it just to try and slam her/open comments, go find those. Also: if you actually want to see what's going to be said, enjoy being terrible (nothing funny will come out of it)

Here's a few reuploads of the video with comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQXsQnWw8PI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6lu3CQPzJw

Here's TheAmazingAtheist complaining that Sarkesian disabled comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfkS9YS_T0k
He couldn't find anything to complain about in the actual video so he went and tracked down some random online feminists to shout at. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Mar 8, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

illiniguy01 posted:

How much money did the tropes vs women person make? I know she was going to give money to charity, but how much did she keep for herself?

Her original goal was only $6,000 and she made that plus a little more in the first few days and then the project went quiet for a few weeks until the MRAs/gamers caught wind of the project and kicked up a major stink and the massive amount of extra publicity they brought to bear helped raise the total to $158,922 by the time the deadline rolled around.

I don't know how much she's given to charity but if she fulfils all the pledge rewards and completes the project she's entitled to keep whatever's left if she feels like it. She's spent some of the money on a logo redesign and some new production staff members and the actual video production (and then the major pledge reward of sending out the DVDs of all the videos) won't be finished for several months. Her stretch goals were to create extra videos and also a Tropes vs Women in Video Games Curriculum with teaching guides and classroom activities and there's no telling how much those might cost. As it stands the project still has months and months to go and there's currently no way of knowing how much money will be left over after it's wrapped, if it ever does wrap and she doesn't keep going with it.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Mar 8, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I grabbed a few typical comments off those rehosts if people are wondering what they're like. (Hint: Desperado Bones will definitely not want to read these.)

... and so on and so forth.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Desperado Bones posted:

Someone post a hilariously awful Kickstarter,please?

How to lunchman: Diabetic cooking Vol 1 - Mediterranean

quote:

im playing to make the second epoide of the a new series of how to lunchman with dibates

Hmmm, I certainly hope the food he's planning on cooking doesn't look like curdled snot slopped onto a paper plate...
Just kidding, the curdled snot was his teaser pic on the project listing page:

And here's a good Kickstarter: The Reward - Tales of Alethrion. Scroll down to see the 9 minute animated fantasy film they recently released which will be the basis of an ongoing series, it's awesome.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Noni posted:

The artwork is good, but I'm guessing that it's either stolen or prior works of the artists and unrelated to the game.

http://robekka.deviantart.com/art/Forgotten-King-343803004
http://cghub.com/images/view/262024/
http://88grzes.deviantart.com/art/Winter-Landscape-199922567
http://robekka.deviantart.com/art/Lust-Devil-346866624
Yeah they're all old images. The artists seem to match up with their 'art team', however. Whether they know they're on the art team is anyone's guess ...

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:36 on Mar 10, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dieting Hippo posted:

How is this issue solved other than straight up removing the female character/rescue plot, or making the females males (and/or vice versa for the heroes)?

I'm hoping her part two of "Damsel in Distress" goes into her ideas for solving this

She's not out to 'fix' video games and 'solve' their problems, she's just discussing certain game trends from a feminist perspective.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MjolnirMan posted:

It seems like no matter what way Nintendo were to go, it will piss one of you off for being sexist. Is Ripley defeminized when in the bulky yellow power loader, but oversexualized when she's running around with giant machine guns in a tank top?

Yeah Samus and Ripley are pretty much exactly the same. :downs:

Jesus loving christ.
:negative:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chewbot posted:

Not sure why this has become such a hot topic lately, but being in game development myself it seems a lot less complex than most of these discussions make it out to be. There are really only two things you need to know:

1) A developer or publisher is trying to make money. I am certain Nintendo has considered a Peach-themed game. The question: all things equal, will a Mario game or a Peach game make more revenue? "Well that was an easy decision", they probably concluded 2 seconds later.

2) The majority of men like sexy women, and they're also making the games with sexy women in them. Truly a coincidence for the ages.

How can we change it? Would a reasonable question be "should we change it"? It's not surprising that the two genders like different kinds of games, with overlap being the minority. Whether a developer decides to make a game targeted towards men or woman should, similarly to film and books, be up to them. And picking on Nintendo about equality, of all companies, seems like a thinly veiled personal agenda.

So to sum up your counter arguments: "I don't even know why people would want to talk about this," "misogyny is profitable", "gaming has always been like that so just accept it," "people who point out the misogyny endemic in this industry must have a hidden personal agenda" and "I don't have a problem with the way games are so I don't think anyone else should either."

That's ... not exactly helpful to the discussion at hand. It sounds more like you're trying to circumvent the debate entirely rather than engage any points that Sarkeesian raised.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
:toot: RECAP TIME :toot:
Here's some updates on a bunch of crowdfunding projects that were discussed in the threads these last few weeks.

3Doodler the pen that allows you to draw in 3D is currently at $2,198,840 (over 7000% successful, their original goal was only $30k) with nearly 2 weeks left. The Kickstarter to buy a 3Doodler pen (and create the world's first 3Doodler animation) has less than three days to go and is almost 600% successful.

The replica Noah's Ark zoo guys have exactly 40 days and 40 nights left to raise the remaining 99.96% of their $1.5m goal.

The Cyanide & Happiness Show has more than doubled their $250k goal and still have 5 days left in their project. They've added a buttload of animated shorts to their season already and they're getting closer and closer to the "The C&H guys will joust to the death" stretch goal every day.

The 4chan drinking game is currently experiencing technical difficulties:

quote:

The Internet Meme Drinking Game is the subject of an intellectual property dispute and is currently unavailable.

No need to check the servers — the rest of Kickstarter is doing just fine.

If you are interested in this project, please check back later. Thanks for your patience.
:v::v:

The horrible Gender Bender DNA Twister Extreme has gained another $10k in pledges since we last checked in on it. A bunch of the characters are now furries. :gonk:

Speaking of furries, the Skkrambled™: The Official ChikkinChamps™ Trading Card Game has eight days to go and is failing horribly at $123/$56k.

The obvious camwhore Indiegogo project has gained an extra couple hundred dollars worth of pledges and still has a month to go.

The Death of 'Superman Lives!" documentary about the failed Nic Cage/Tim Burton Superman film successfully ended a day ago with $115,110/$98,000. :iia:

How to lunchman: Diabetic cooking Vol 1 - Mediterranean ended with only a single "gently caress you" pledge of $1.09. :v:

The abyssmal DMW Black Sheep of Avalon - Christian Novel failed at $311/$4,800.

Turbocharge your wireless router with an Android™ upgrade (apps for your router!) still has four days to go but is over 300% successful so far.

The patty pro plus for burgers and more tool to help make patty-making likely to give you food poisoning fun and easy fell $499,665 short of its $500k goal.

The I'm marrying my soulmate! Indiegogo project where a woman was trying to raise $12.5k to somehow force her boyfriend to propose to her which went wrong when the internet laughed at her shittiness and then went right when he proposed anyway is going wrong again since they've only raised $187 in a month. They've still got a month to go but it looks like they'll have to hold the reception at Burger King.

The Batman Dead End; A Ten Year Retrospective documentary about "the impact and influence" of a fan film some guys made a decade ago is sitting at $7,755 of their $12.5k goal with 16 days to go

Hull Breach! is less than a thousand dollars shy of its goal and has five days left.

Starlight Sparkle Gift Box (glitter-encrusted soap boxes} still hasn't attracted a single pledge.

The pig-shaped BBQ sauce bottle project is at $2k/$42k with 24 days to go.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Volcott posted:

That's not touching the poop. That's poopsmithing.

It also runs the horrible risk that their thumbnail image for the project will be a foxgirl or a pony and the internet hivemind will throw $200,000 at them and they'll acknowledge you at every opportunity as the one true friend who believed in them enough to give them that initial push which led to them becoming a breakout internet sensation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So the director of the old Veronica Mars TV show launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise $2m to 'convince' Warner Bros to greenlight a Veronica Mars movie and they flew past that goal in less than half a day. Apparently WB are already on board and the film looks set to be made.

However certain media outlets are already suspicious that the project was always going ahead and the KS project was just an early promotional campaign.

The video was pretty cool either way, I guess. :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Another bonus of this funding model is that the money is coming from donors and not investors so the production company would keep a bigger slice of the profit than usual, assuming they make one. They'll have to send DVDs to perhaps a few tens of thousands of people as part of the pledge rewards but I think they'll still be coming out ahead.

Oasx posted:

Not quite, they got approval from WB to make the kickstarter, and WB said that if they raised the 2+ million then WB would distribute the movie and help advertise it.

I guess it might be possible to make a fly-by-the-pants beg-borrow-and-steal-all-the-equipment feature film for $2m that didn't look like poo poo but that's an incredibly small budget for a Hollywood film. (They'll definitely make more than that but they couldnt know that when they started the project.)

Alan Smithee posted:

Crowdfunding is always going to be a last resort measure for Hollywood studios. Have you heard of Hollywood accounting? Do you really think they even want you anywhere near their books?
What are the chances that Warner Bros will eventually announce that they've been blown away by all this support and they're going to fully fund the project themselves and the Kickstarter project will be cancelled at the last minute?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blast Fantasto posted:

The most baffling thing about the Veronica Mars Kickstarter is the fact that there's people willing to PAY thousands of dollars to be an uncredited, unpaid extra.

Someone paid $10,000 to have a speaking role in the movie and say exactly three words: "Your cheque, sir." There's no guarantee that the line or even the scene will make the final cut.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Humphreys posted:

I don't have a picture of the donators but two fans of that Homestuck thing decided donating $10 000 each to it was a good idea. For their troubles they got their own characters that were killed off straight away:

quote:

After donating $10,000 each to Andrew Hussie's Homestuck Kickstarter last year, two lucky fans got to see their original troll characters become canon today. Despite being almost immediately killed in the following panel, Hussie's illustrations of Mierfa Durgas (shown left) and Nektan Whelan (shown right) have already inspired fan art and cosplay on Tumblr.

http://cheezburger.com/7121987584

That there is a $20,000 webcomic panel.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh god why did I ever mention the Homestuck Kickstarter, trollchat has infected the thread. :gonk:

The comic has been discussed at length in other parts of the forums, does anyone have any links to those threads if people have questions about the comic itself and not the Kickstarter about the comic?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chewbot posted:

Interestingly, despite all of these campaigns being created by one man, every new project lists his location as being a different city.

Maybe he gets run out of town a lot?
"We don't appreciate your type 'round here, boy. Folks 'round here run honest crowdfunding campaigns that support the community and that's how we aim to keeps it."
/spits baccy juice.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

"lovely kickstarter posted:

But should you wish to have a digital download as well, I would be more than happy to send you one. In any color you like!
Gosh, that would save me the 45 seconds it would take to make it myself. :rolleye:

The whole project is dumb and missed the "Keep calm and ___" fad by about a year but on top of that the reward tiers make no sense. There's no option to just buy a shirt, you can only get it bundled with 15 buttons or stickers.
The really really dumb part of this is that a spell check wouldn't flag "clam" as an error.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
nm

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Mar 20, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DoctorStrangelove posted:

These make me sad that I never got to pledge to Zorak's sandwich Kickstarter :smith:

RIP in peace sandwich Kickstarter.

You could always start an Indiegogo campaign to buy a sandwich for Zorak.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DeepDickPizza posted:

EDIT: In response to Sid, I saw the bidding peak at over $22,000 before all the backlash blew up yesterday. It has since gone down to about $21,000, so at the very least, the backlash has reversed her momentum.

The Kicktraq page for the project shows that the donation total dropped by $673 yesterday and looks like it'll be dropping again today:

It's under $21k now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Der Shovel posted:

Yes it will, but they will be 419 scams full of feel good buzzwords so they've got that going for them.

I'd throw in a few bucks to send the Nigerian Chancellor of the Exchequer to a secret RPG Maker Camp that the banks have overlooked.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The "There has to be a better way!" section of the video showing him ineffectually trying to dunk cookies the old fashioned way wasn't in black and white. That alone is a deal breaker.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Open Source Death Star project didn't reach its £20,000,000 goal. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Noyemi K posted:

That' "show, don't tell" thing you learn in literature...

Or even the famous quote "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

Or failing that, the Kickstarter instructions that urge people to add an interesting video to their pitch above everything else.

Xenocidebot posted:

Which 60s music did they free from the sediment?

I checked their 'psychedelic' website and they sound something like a 44rpm Partridge Family song played at 30rpm. :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Apr 8, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Crain posted:

It's just depressing if this is some kid who really thinks this will take off. But further down it pretty much reveals that it's another "idea guy". No writers, no coders, no web developers, no journalistic or web development experience, no nothing. The guy's just going to pay for his site to be made. Oh and he's only asking for $3000. Because that's enough to get a website built from scratch, hosted, hire writers, and promote a brand new website.

No you see the members will write the content, and because he's handing out 'EXP' for it the fools will do it for free! FOR FREEEE!!! THE FOOLS!! :newlol:

quote:

Paths | There will be special Paths which you can progress your account through and receive different perks than that of a normal account. Paths will have tiers that you will be able to gain access to after putting in enough EXP and passing certain milestones. Paths are not something you can just jump into, as they will take a bit of work to progress in.

Paths available at the start:

Path of the Writer - Like to write? Want your articles to be seen? Progressing in this path will eventually allow you to write and post in a user news section of the site for everyone to check out. You'll even be able to earn money from any viewer revenue! Writers will get their own set of skins, titles, and even font colors at different tiers of their path.

They can earn a font colour. A goddamn font colour.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Machai posted:

Forums: The RPG.

Earn XP! Gain levels! Customize your character with multiple talent trees! Font wardrobes! Make lovely posts! Exclamation points!

I don't know whether to max out my con stat and become a shitpostermancer or min/max my int/dex and become a memebarian.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

I wonder if their fraud algorithm searches for the words "cut out the middle man" or "ideas man".

kirbysuperstar posted:

It certainly doesn't search for "zombie game".

Alan Smithee posted:

Nor does it reverse image search camwhore pictures

Speaking of camwhores, the "Help Dad Build a House!" Indiegogo project which is really a camwhore pre-order sale is ending in a few days. She's raised over $4.5k from 34 people, that's an average of $133 per 'donor'.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Veronica Mars movie Kickstarter has less than 24 hours to go. They've raised over $5 million!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Isizzlehorn posted:

Man, that has me thinking. How insane do you think a Kickstarter to get more of Firefly would be?.. :stare:

Oh god.. or Alf :catstare:

Sony Pictures have picked up the rights to ALF and are currently developing a CGI/live action movie. Hooray! :toot: Just like The Smurfs and The Chipmunks! Oh. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Humboldt squid posted:

Am I crazy or is this the second square scooter kickstarter I've seen so far?

The other one was the BOXX and the discussion about it in the previous KS thread starts here.

Comparisons:

BOXX

Project goal: $750,000
Minimum pledge for a scooter: $3,895
Max speed: 35mph
Battery range: 40 miles per charge (80 miles with upgrade)

Zeit Eco

Project goal: $250,000
Minimum pledge for a scooter: $1,700
Max speed: 15 mph limited
Battery range: 16 to 25 miles per charge (75 miles with upgrade)

Edit: the project has been live for 2 weeks and has only raised $71. The Kicktraq record of pledges shows that someone actually ordered a scooter and then changed their mind:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Apr 14, 2013