Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A weekly national newspaper for children in Australia has folded only eight months after raising over $200,000 via crowdfunding.

quote:

The Sydney-based newspaper raised $212,300 through a crowdfunding platform in May 2017. Ms Howden had said that money would go towards making the weekly publication self-sustaining.

But the crowdfunding platform and payment processing system cost the newspaper almost $20,000 while a further $53,000 "went to servicing new subscriptions to the newspaper and perks that people claimed as part of their crowdfunding contribution".

Yes yes, people claiming donation rewards was clearly the problem here. Those greedy donors!

Also the platform processing fee didn't "cost" the newspaper anything, those fees are standard and they should have taken them into account before they even launched the project.

quote:

"That money allowed us to cover news for kids for a further eight months, launch Australia's inaugural media literacy conference for young people, do the first research into how kids and teens get their news across the nation, and more.
Mmmmmmaybe don't spend the donated money on a conference and 'research'??

Also perhaps consider that trying to sell subscriptions to a physical newspaper to children in this day and age is a really loving stupid idea to begin with???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh you're going to have to put in some real work if you're planning on competing in the terrible board games crowdfunding stakes. There's some fuckin' doozies out there.

Marriage License Reality Board game
Holy poo poo this guy has some issues about marriage and he decided to 'educate' everyone about them using a board game

quote:

This exciting, challenging, and educational Board game developed to educate people about the laws involved with marriage. Intrexgames the 'Company', our goal, would like to greatly reduce Domestic violence at home.This Board game is great for marriage preparation courses, college students who are interested in discovering more about all aspects of marriage, for family's to play for fun at home while educating themselves or even their children, anyone at all interested in playing a game that is both fun and educational!

Why are there so many spiders??? Why are there so many puzzles? Why is the game board so incredibly complex? :psyduck::psyduck:

His sizzle video is 14 minutes long, the middle 6 minutes is just footage of him opening the game box and slowly taking out each game piece and holding them in front of the camera while Fallin' by Alicia Keys plays in the background twice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAuzi5e9MyE

He was trying to raise $25,000 but he only got a single pity pledge of $25 which wasn't even enough to get that backer a copy of the game.

Or maybe lovely low effort game kickstarters are more your jam?

Sports based board game
Here's the entire pitch for the project:

quote:

About

I am raising money for R and D and the risk of this project is that it will not sell as much as anticipated but given the amount of interest in the lives of athletes off the field .I am certain that with the research and development this project can turn into the number one board game in the nation and that is without the matching online game
Risks and challenges

Risk are few but can be daunting The challenge is to get the game setup and design making sure it is designed to take the market by storm. Bring sexy back to board games. But I feel that we have a winner here .Where fantasy and board games meet
There's only a single rewards tier of $200 which gets you a copy of the game plus a t-shirt and hat. Goal = $10,000, funding total = $3.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 15:20 on Jan 25, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh god

The Last Free American Board Game.

quote:

The Last Free American is a physical and digital platform board game that inspires, provokes and informs knowledge-based conversations about political issues from gun ownership to freedom of religion, economic freedom and beyond.

The object of the game is to be the last free American, a feat that is achieved by prevailing over rivals by playing the winning argument and strategy cards.

This is a social entrepreneur enterprise in that our long-term goal is to promote more intelligent political discussions and to facilitate political activism.

We are raising funds to use for programming the online version and for promoting the physical version through activist and education organizations nationwide.

Licenses to create games are free to the public. The business model is based on maintaining exclusive rights to sell sponsorships for all games and to stage competitions.

We have filed for intellectual protection of the platform and game elements and have obtained the relevant domain names.

We have also developed and distributed a prototype game aimed at illustrating the “micro” end of the game applications.

The platform is designed to accommodate continuous development of new games based around new political issues and to allow users and creators to focus their game as narrowly or broadly as they like.
He also has a :psyduck: promo video

Edit: and here's a lovely low effort project

Turning a unique board game into a virtual masterpiece.

quote:

Funds needed to hire game developers to produce my vision. Would like to create a online version first than develop the original board game, due to production costs. When playing online you will travel through the board on foot experiencing the world around you. Being able to watch each battle and spell take effect. This will be a brilliant site to see. Imagination brought to life in this magnetic "Epic" game.

He's a loving board game ideas man who wants to hire people to do all the boring work of creating the actual game for him. His fundraising goal was $10,000 and he had a single reward tier of $10,000 for "Earn a meeting with me to discuss business."

Edit: oh drat I can't stop looking at these lovely, lovely games

Treasure in Heaven Family Bible Board Game
It's like something that Rod and Tod Flanders would get excited about

quote:

Who loves the Treasure In Heaven game?
- Mothers' and fathers' eyes sparkle with joy when their children boldly confess Jesus with their mouth as a part of game play.
- College students think it is a great way to actually experience the scriptures in a non-religious setting.
- It is simple enough for young children to enjoy and they become eager to learn to read!
- Young adults are attracted to the sophisticated game mechanics and complexity.
- Art lovers are attracted to the great works of art.
- Older people just like it.
Everything about this is amazing

quote:

Pledge US$ 10,000

Second Coming Level: True Treasure in Heaven because of your desire to see the Gospel shared with children around the world! 10 of everything! The Print and Play Version of the game (available now). The Treasure in Heaven Banner! The Game Creators will come to your church or store and play the game! (Please send tickets and lodging!) A handmade copy of the Treasure in Heaven Game. And don't forget the personalized Backer card!

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Jan 25, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

My uncle has an old Rex Hunt's Fishing Adventures board game, including fish trivia I argued with my dad about. (are sharks fish?)

We had a big discussion about movie tie-in boardgames and videogames in CD and tracked down a huge number of ridiculous movie-themed games and when I was tracking them down I also noticed a huge number of TV-themed games including MASH, All In The Family, Welcome Back Kotter, Hogan's Heroes, etc etc etc.. (And that's not even touching on tie-in/spinoff cartoon series and comic books)

Weirdly enough Kickstarter projects for movie-themed board games are often wildly successful, like the Ghostbusters board game. I guess if they're competent enough to legitimately secure the licence to a famous movie they're probably competent enough for all the rest.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Harveygod posted:

How many piss-starters can there be? I think Retsupurae did 2 of them.

e: I'd like to add that those piss bottles looked much better than this sorry thing made from a Poland Spring bottle.

I looked it up and their gimmick is that their extendable piss spout can be attached to pretty much most beverage bottles you might have lying around in your car.

Apparently it also comes with a top cap you can screw into place so if someone fills up a pop bottle with piss, screws the lid on and then re-compacts the spout they might end up with a piss powered water rocket ricocheting around inside their car