Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maluco Marinero posted:

They could do the same thing by owning it, retheming the page and content to make it clear that it is a known scam. However it's a lot easier just to sweep it under the rug, walk away and let the press handle it.

I play EVE Online, and have an alt named Prince of Nigeria. He is explicitly for scamming when there's nothing better to do. I don't even try very hard, just poo poo like "send me money and I'll double the amount!" There will be dozens of people in chat calling out my scams.

I've still made a decent amount of money doing it with that name, and those people calling me out. In one case someone sent me 500 million spacebucks. You can't do anything to save stupid but make sure stupid never sees the scams in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manuel Calavera posted:

I feel like you've mentioned this before, but if not. You really should tell the tale in the Griefing Thread over in Games. I'd love to hear more. Again, assuming you haven't told the tale.

It's really nothing interesting, just mindless spams while I read stuff. The only thing notable about is that I'm basically named Nigerian Prince and people still fall for it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that T1 on your old phone? Well, now it can be on your android, and also not be poo poo
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-minuum-keyboard-project

It looks nifty and useful. Who wants to tell me how and why it's a scam? :smith:

Pomp has a new favorite as of 12:24 on Mar 21, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

miguelito posted:

I don't know what amazes me more - the ingenuity of some scammers, or the stupidity of the internet.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/susanwilson/9-year-old-building-an-rpg-to-prove-her-brothers-w?ref=category

The gist: White middle-class mom wants 900 bucks for her :3: widdle daughter (who plays on PS3 and Kindle HD) to visit RPG Camp so she can make an RPG. This is because a.) her brothers called her a poopyhead and this is clearly the best solution and b.) it's a meaningful step to make "Girls in Tech" (verbatim quote from the thumbnail) more relevant.

The first reason would classify this as a light-hearted parody kickstarter, the second one however is just impossible to fathom in human thoughts.

quote:

I'll be attending the World's #1 Tech Camp (https://www.internaldrive.com) with "ridiculously small ratios" which means personalized instructions with just 8 kids per adult instructor. I'll be using using RPG Maker®, a massively popular RPG (role-playing game) development tool–user-friendly for beginners, but powerful enough for advanced game developers. The camp says "an intuitive drag-and-drop interface, RPG Maker®’s extensive library of characters and tile-based environments will have you creating fantastic RPG worlds, maps and awesome heroes. Take home your custom role-playing game for you and your friends to put to the test! Students will be introduced to the concepts of tiling, pixel art and conditional statements in creating their own top-down 2D RPG. This unique tool allows beginners to create a polished game that includes story dialogue boxes, custom items, and weapons, as well as battles with enemies and bosses."

That's some grade A viral marketing.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BoutrosBoutros posted:

I don't really get the big deal about that one. Girl wants to go to camp, and other people want to pay for it. Are we really scraping the bottom of the bucket so hard that this is considered terrible?

I'm pretty certain the kid doesn't exist.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Kickstarter cancelling a project because one of the people involved had "too much money" would be pure poison to their brand image considering that two of their most successful kickstarts were from a critically- and financially-successful game development studio and a movie being produced by Warner Bros.

Oh man, that was great. They were so full of themselves that they made stretch goals reaching into the millions and didn't come close to making most of them :laffo:

I don't think you're being entirely fair. The idea was to be able to run their entire business with no ads on their website, and that's the money they figured they needed to pull that off. This wasn't "give us 2 million dollars for making webcomics," it was "we want to see how ad free we can make the site while still paying employees."

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Call me stupid, but this just sounds like a parent being... well, a parent. The daughter probably came up with the ridiculous idea to go to camp, the mother being semi-intelligent shot it down and asked the daughter to read documentation herself, the brothers laughed at it, the daughter complained, the mother said she will help her daughter but if only the daughter can pay her back, and they turned to kickstarter for free money while teaching the daughter how to market herself (currently, the ideal would be as a victim). Once the kickstarter blew up, the mother spammed celebrities saying "look at how cool my daughter is" to both bolster her own reputation and get her daughter whatever bonuses she can.

Literally everybody comes out of this better off than when they went in, except for every single person letting their blood boil because "MILLIONAIRES DON'T NEED MY MONIES."

Some millionaire has gotten over twice my yearly income by belittling her own children, I think I get to be a little pissed at her manipulative bullshit.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Tomato posted:

Do you seriously know people who put crosses on everything? Necklaces don't count.

And Bible verses really aren't any different than other quotes for most people, in that they inspire or make you happy. Only assholes quote the verses that seem to be offensive, but the proportion of inspirational to offensive Bible verses I see are about 100 to 1. And again, where are you seeing people putting Bible quotes on things that aren't Facebook?

You don't live in the American south, do you?

edit: v I'm finally leaving in a month. :yotj: v

Pomp has a new favorite as of 19:05 on May 2, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toffile posted:

You forgot the part where they we re court ordered to destroy remaining inventory and IP related to Too Human after the lawsuit because of copyright infringement.

Although this isn't SK making it, that company is dead. I'm not entirely sure of the relationship that Precursor has with SK other than Dyack.

I'd feel more confident if Dyack wasn't involved.

Edit: Oh gently caress me

Pomp has a new favorite as of 22:59 on May 7, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you think they would have gotten a lot of support from the LGBT community, you seriously do not know poo poo about the LGBT community. There are numerous parts of the community that don't care about transgender people, or outright hate them. Being lesbian, gay, or bisexual doesn't make you any more tolerant of people who don't fit into your worldview.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AxeManiac posted:

I skipped around a lot, but apparently her side is, "she asked for money without shame"? Also she let germans draw on her. This doesn't sound like wise, sane or practical advice.

That MAN card is some terrible poo poo that Adam Corrolla would "ask his fans" to buy.

It's more like "I feel more comfortable with being treated like a street performer."

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

This is Paul's mum Mrs Poo, she is also a very important crap in Crapsvile because is incharge of the big fan in the town, her main role is to make sure that no body hits the fan.

gently caress, I laughed.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manifest posted:

I guess I'm a horrible poo poo-bird because Chris Chan has never stopped being fascinating to me.
He just kept digging the hole deeper. Every time he'd say he was done with the internet, and every time he'd come back and reignite everything all over again. You'd think someone in his life would step in and make him stop.

Pomp has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Jul 18, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FrozenVent posted:

What if the FBI can remotely turn your phone back on? :tinfoil:

They can record with your phone even if it is "off," but you kind of have to give them a huge reason. Unless you're a suspected terrorist, spy, or the such then these people have nothing to worry about.

So, basically, a good product for anyone who lives in the middle east! :(

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

This guy is an entire high school theater class condensed into a single being.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How did new internet guy get 2000 dollars?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Look at these idiots giving someone money for a fancy themed chatroom with obtuse mechanics."

*plays eve"

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

"Wanna hug?"

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Storin' dead chocolate ain't my rooty toot tootin' business

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
GBS 2.1> Photoshop chocolate into famous movies

Pomp has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Dec 9, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Plus there's just no way to 'say' the colon, telling somebody the game name means "Beyond Two Souls", so how many? Three Souls? Its just a really awkward name.

Indigo Prophecy didn't really mean anything but it worked pretty well as a name. Fahrenheit doesn't tell you poo poo though. Heavy rain, is so-so. Its not bad, and it implies some heavy drama is coming, but it doesn't sound all that cool.

Indigo prophecy literally culminates in a prophesized indigo child, how does that mean anything?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jett posted:

So for a $25 pledge you can walk in, mention Kickstarter, and get a free meal.

So for a $25 pledge you can walk in, mention Kickstarter, and get food poisoning

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In pissy Kickstarter gaming non-news: Mighty No. 9 hired a woman to act as an online community manager and now the fat manbaby MRA tears are flowing like waterfalls because having her moderate their forums means that the jumpy shooty robot game is now going to be about strong womyn using grrrl power to expand the reach of the shevil fempire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXDSfUJBCj0

I unironically want to play the game that they're so afraid of.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A Steampunk Gent posted:

gbs is so much better now there's no human being SJWs whining every time someone makes a joke -

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kung Fuhrer is a good pun that's wasted on this.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Goddamnit.

God.

drat.

It.

To this day I never put 2 and 2 together that the Thief games were steampunk, and I have fond memories playing through the whole series. Now those memories are completely ruined.

It's almost like the Thief games set up an interesting world, and steampunk has more to give than cogs, and bad costumes. Do you hate sci-fi too because trekkies exist, or something?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

]

English is their native language.

Pomp has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Jan 31, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Talorat posted:

This just confirms my theory that dog lovers are just as loving unstable as cat people.

Unstable dog lover here, I can confirm this.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Niche kinks are loving expensive, man.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ullerrm posted:

Pretty much this. It's the search for the biggest number, nothing more.

The biggest irony is that in many cases, 96/192KHz content actually sounds significantly worse than 48/44.1KHz content, because they can carry ultrasonic content. Not only can you not hear ultrasonics natively, but the vast majority of headphones/earbuds will distort when they try to reproduce it, which means you get intermodulation. Congratulations -- by giving too much of a poo poo about stuff you can't hear, you've added resonance noise to the stuff you can hear! And it gets even worse if you run it through an amp!

Using high sample resolutions for mastered music is silly as well, but at least it doesn't sound worse than 16 bits. It simply wastes space. (There are reasons to use > 16bits when doing mixing/mastering, as it makes it easier to safely level and combine tracks without clipping. However, a lot of modern mixing hardware just circumvent the problem entirely by using floating point samples.)

Of course, audiophiles would probably consider intermodulation products to be "added richness" or "room presence" or whatever the current synonym for being suckered is.

44K sounds like a worn vinyl track being played through a radio station in a tunnel, what on earth are you talking about?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tetraptous posted:

44 kHz is more than sufficient to reproduce any sound someone who hasn't been exposed to gamma rays and mutated a bat's auditory system can hear. The goofiest thing is that there's just about a 0% chance that an old timer like Neil Young can hear much about 12 kHz anyway--high frequency hearing drops off rapidly with age, and 20 kHz (what little we could ever hear of it) is gone to most of us by adulthood.

I was somehow reading KHz as kbps, ignore me I have no loving knowledge about frequencies, but this still makes more sense than someone saying there's no point in storing your music at a bitrate higher than 44kpbs.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
HFCS is terrible for you, but refined carbs in general aren't great for you. Eat more whole grains, veggies and proteins that aren't fried thanks.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ullerrm posted:

The best part of it is that it led me to Kickstarter's archive of DMCA takedown requests -- there is some amazing poo poo there. People trying to kickstart private servers for MMORPGs. People trying to kickstart ROM hacks / remakes of Zelda and Ghosts N Goblins. People trying to pass off open-source hardware projects as private designs, and just photoshopping the silkscreens. I wish some of these project pages were archived so we could see just how scammy they were before the takedown.

https://www.kickstarter.com/dmca/the-pokedek-pokemon-themed-playing-cards-submitted-by-the-pokemo

https://www.kickstarter.com/dmca/heroquest-25th-anniversary-canceled-submitted-by-private

"Despite being explicitly refused permission to use our trademark, Gamezone went ahead and launched this Kickstarter in the United States. Yesterday, I sent an email to Gamezone asking them to respond to their violation within 24 hours - beyond acknowledging receipt of the email, we've received nothing from them."

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

Fwiw, Buckley's actually improved after significantly reducing his hug box interaction. One of his latest comics even passed a basic red line test!

Bullshit.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I saw this on the front page. Is it awful? I don't know but it got a laugh out of me

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1626843938/long-tran-menswear-and-womenswear?ref=discover_rec

There is a market for this kind of stuff, but it's rich art types, and that's sure as hell not loving Kickstarter. :psyduck:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

We at Long Tran believe in creating functional and creative garments for men and women that are not dictated by trends, but convey ideas that never go out of style.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mortimer posted:

Participants only women? Guys don't get fat shamed nuh uh. Feel the empowerment accumulating on your thighs

Maybe they couldn't find any guy willing to participate? Or maybe men don't write pro-fat literature

Where's Adam Bowen when I need him?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol if you unironically believe the way to deal with delusions caused by mental illness is to be an rear end in a top hat.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Noyemi K posted:

Hey folks, there's a new comic out there to masturbate to. Well, you're meant to but I don't think this would incite any boners. It's Liefeld-esque levels of "not understanding how women work".