Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Install Gentoo posted:

Doki Doki Panic was originally created to become the next Mario game, before being shelved for a while, then retooled to match a Japanese tv promotion.
Yup. This came up in the retro games thread; surprisingly, it's actually Japanese SMB2 that's the real black sheep, as it was basically a hastily thrown together romhack that was entirely too difficult.

edit: It even says this in the wikipedia article for SMB2j:

quote:

First released in Japan on June 3, 1986, it is the direct sequel to the then-best-selling video game of all time, Super Mario Bros.[4] The developers have stated it was not, in fact, the original planned sequel, which was a prototype game that was eventually originally released somewhat unfinished in Japan as Doki Doki Panic.[5]

quote:

They realised they already had one option as Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic (Dream Factory: Heart-Pounding Panic), also designed by Miyamoto, had actually begun development as the original prototype "Super Mario Bros. 2" and had been changed into Doki Doki due to a licensing arrangement and also its radically different approach to platforming;[5] it was therefore reworked and released as Super Mario Bros. 2 in North America and Europe and later as Super Mario USA in Japan.[16]

Cicero has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Mar 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

While I think "if you don't want to dedicate your whole life to CS then :frogout:" is a stupid attitude to have, saying "they show their passion by being good at it in class even if they don't do anything extracurricular" sounds off to me as well. If you have two candidates who both do comparably well in class, but one also does extra CS stuff on her own initiative, why wouldn't you pick that candidate? I just don't see how you can say that "doing what's required of you well and no more" demonstrates passion. I did well in plenty of classes that I had zero passion for just because I wanted the grade.

quote:

How is that judging (which is ethnocentric and wrong and actually against the law)
Wait, what?

Cicero has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Mar 28, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The Verge already reviewed it, giving it a 3.5 (ouch). Basically the hardware itself is fine but the software (both in terms of the platform and games available) is severely lacking.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/4/4180242/ouya-review

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Maledict posted:

I remember when that thread hit the SA forums years ago, I think even before the original Awful Kickstarters thread.

It was so bad, and with all the talk of Pufferfish, Abe having a grudge on a guy and repeatedly probating him and banning him (Iluvortab was the guy's name), and some images, taking them all together, including Iluvortab's avatar, I drew something just out of pure mocking spite. Perhaps one of the few good things to have out of it, was this beauty:

I did it literally as a joke, in around an hour or so? Still completely trounced the bwahahaha concept art the guy put his millions towards.

Also: Swords where the pommel is literally the same length as the blade proper. I don't think even daggers have that ratio.
This concept art has quite the resemblance to the enemies in Ghost of a Tale.