Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

makomk posted:

Yeah, and the only Kickstarter I'm aware of where someone did sue is Hanfree. Didn't do the backer much good - the guy running it immediately declared bankrupcy and it doesn't look like any of the backers are going to see a cent.

Just to clear this up in this thread (this was posted in the last thread):

This article posted:

All I was asking for (and the other backer who joined me) was our refunds. All we were asking for was our $70 refunds. So, my claim for $70 is not what bankrupted Seth Quest.
What bankrupted him was $35,000 that he owed to 400-plus people, and I learned through the bankruptcy papers that we all got after he declared that he was also being sued by at least one of his other credit card companies. He was facing multiple liabilities and I guess he had no way of paying it back and that’s why he decided to declare bankruptcy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Philly had a statue of Rocky Balboa.

Had? Nope sorry, it's still there. I'm from Philly, and I still remember when they kept moving it. It went from the Art Museum to the (now demolished) Spectrum then back to the Art Museum. Partially because of an argument of what was "art".

e: I think it was moved back when the new Rocky movie was filmed. I'll never forget when they filmed that stupid movie because the bar scene was filmed on my (then) girlfriend's block, and they made it a pain just to get to her apartment. The also had the cops "relocate" my motorcycle without telling me. They moved it around the corner.

booshi has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Jun 29, 2013

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Song For The Deaf posted:

It seems like it would be easy enough to make if you had access to the proper tools and a sufficiently strong magnet. A fun Saturday afternoon project vs. paying way too much on Kickstarter.

I'm a grad student, and working in the lab I work in comes with access to two different workshops: one is full of 3D printers and electronics components galore, the other has at least 1 CNC router and pretty much any tool you'd ever need.

So yeah, if you have the access, you can bang out one of these out really quickly. Then just cut a slot for the magnet and put in a rare earth magnet maybe? Then you're done. Plus, they put some of the dimensions on the KS page, so you could extrapolate the rest from that.

But, like everyone else said, mounted openers are pretty stupid. I don't even carry a bottle opener with me anymore. I just use my lighter or my carabiner.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why would you waste money on rare earth magnets for this? Regular ones would be strong enough to hold a bottle cap.

I can walk over to our supply area and use anything I'd like, and there are a bunch of different magnets so why not?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Rum-runners, beat cops, and gangsters from the 1920s. Incidentally, the same group that makes flatcaps traditional wedding and funeral attire.

..and Philadelphians. My whole extended family says poo poo like "hey youse guys! Let's get wooder ice!"

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

If they were just making it a place where they seal it off from the river and make it a floating pool, that might work, but they're honestly expecting that thing to constantly be filtering the Hudson. I mean at least they didn't decide to filter East River, but goddamn do they have any idea how much water moves through the Hudson per second? You'd need like a sewage treatment plant bevy of filtration to accomplish that and all I see are some loving vacuum cleaner filters from dad's Dyson that they're thinking they can just slap on the border.

At least they are being honest in their photos, as the shot showing all of the graphs has one titled "FECAL". Pretty appropriate.

e: VVVVVVVVVVVVV
Note to self: buy a new mug.

Want to cut back on calories with tea and coffee? Instead of a useless mug, why not just stop putting so much drat cream and sugar in?

booshi has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Jul 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

All these would be good for is bringing to poker night to piss everyone off.