Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

MjolnirMan posted:

Wait, though - so it's bad that you play her in a big bulky suit because it defeminizes her and she might as well be a centipede, but in Zero Mission and Smash Bros., where you play her without said suit (and not in a "reward" capacity but as a player character with powerful skills, weapons, abilities, etc.), she's a "gently caress toy" because she's wearing something less revealing than people wear jogging?

I guess the happy middle ground would be something that doesn't completely mask her femininity, but which is not so revealing that it renders her into a sex toy? Fem Shep might be a good example (although there are plenty of BAD examples in the ME series). You're not going to mistake her for a man, but it isn't exactly a tech demo for a breast physics engine either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

A suit that makes it impossible to determine someone's gender is not a problem in and of itself, I personally find suits that have a "normal" male shape and a "special" female shape more of a problem because it makes masculinity into the default and femininity a deviation from that default. You mistake her for a man because gender neutral = man in most peoples minds, and THIS is the problem.

Errr, it's not a "special" shape. The shape with broader shoulders and no visible breasts isn't "default", it's the shape of a man. People assume Samus is a man because the suit has a masculine shape, not a gender neutral shape.

Massive shoulders, no neck, broad chest... Samus' power suit doesn't look androgynous, it looks masculine.