Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I backed Anita S.'s right to have her project, and I do think this is bullshit for the most part. If people want to contribute, fine, but so many of them plug their ears, close their eyes and scream "lalala haters gonna hate" because they want to see a unique snowflake's dream's come true :dings:

I agree with YKS' stance that it's unfortunate everytime a woman happens to be involved with a poo poo KS there's going to be death/rape threats and thus it's difficult for constructive criticism to get a word in edgewise when everyone takes some idealogical stance rather than "is this a good idea"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah I think this gender discussion belongs elsewhere.

Back to terrible KS. Gonna steal some from YKS

Hungrometer, now if only there were an app for that
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/584273481/hungrometer-because-the-body-knows?ref=category

The ultimate in cookie dunking technology. Because there has to be a better way!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1080427607/the-ultimate-in-cookie-dunking-techonlogy

iPhone projector. As YKS notes, it looks like a maglite head photoshopped onto an iPhone. The fact that it failed is proof that there is still hope in mankind's cynicism
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1747147409/projektor-make-your-mobile-devices-larger-than-lif

Fund my lifePorche roadtrip documentary. Pledge $10000 and I will let you give me road head
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1030276638/911-cross-country-road-trip

Machai posted:

Oh my god, the logo for that FPS has a bullet hole instead of an O...I must give them all my money!

Stretch goals: if we get more money we will get them actual textures! OORAH OUYA

Rime posted:

Hey guys, speaking of passion...

Sure isn't a lot of it here! :cawg:

This is too painful for words

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I need my oreos soaked but solid, so I just use a fork and skewer the frosting

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Antitonic posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1659448460/mindshift-multiplayer-first-person-shooter-directx

Only $1000000 for a first-person shooter featuring content to be decided by backers, 4 pieces of identical concept art, and most uniquely for an FPS: physics! They're even planning on porting to the next PlayStation and Xbox.

Incredible. Most people say they are "ideas men" but this guy is crowdsourcing that too. This must be some kind of kickstarter benchmark.

What I want to know is, will they be making this for the Ouya. These are the important questions.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jet Jaguar posted:

With 33 minutes to go and a single donation, I don't think the get a kickball team some uniforms project is going to make it.

I feel like this is viral marketing for Portlandia

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

If it were feasible to set up a neural interface with standard voice recognition algorithms, I would think that the PhD-level scientists researching this sort of thing would be all over it.

No but you see this kickstarter will cut out the middlemen so they can ship it straight to your door!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I can't fit that pillow in my pants

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

InShaneee posted:

"Help" doesn't sound like "hire" to me, so...

No it's cool, by finding people willing to do it for free on nights and weekends it totally helps keep the costs down and he passes the savings on to you. You get what you pay for is what I'm saying and that is why I will spend nothing

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Incredible Ed posted:

Stinks to me of promotion. Using a kickstarter to build excitement and then cancel it, instead taking pre-orders for which kickstarter won't get a cut and they can charge full price.

Yeah I'm amazed more people haven't done this despite being against KS rules. Then again KS rules haven't stopped anyone. Still odd considering they hadn't even made their money yet and it wasn't even close to finishing iirc

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Indiegogo: "I am shocked, SHOCKED to find that scams are going on at Indiegogo"

Paypal: "Here are your cut of the fees from the paypal payment Indiegogo"

Indiegogo: "Why thank you!"

Autechresaint posted:

I wonder how they will explain how these algorithms detected a scam, when all you really needed was common sense. Maybe it's so they can try avoiding being sued, on account of maths.

I wonder if their fraud algorithm searches for the words "cut out the middle man" or "ideas man".

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

It certainly doesn't search for "zombie game".

Nor does it reverse image search camwhore pictures

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking of camwhores, the "Help Dad Build a House!" Indiegogo project which is really a camwhore pre-order sale is ending in a few days. She's raised over $4.5k from 34 people, that's an average of $133 per 'donor'.
:stare: I remember when it was like 1500 bucks. What the gently caress Indiegogo. I guess "e-kiss" "e-date over skype" and "pizza chain" aren't on their fraud algorithm either

kaguya posted:

hahahaha oh god that's shocking. Somebody paid $1000 for a 4 hour skype session.

Why wouldn't you just have a hooker do it for you at like a tenth of the price?

I love her description "One hour of skype chat! (No dirty stuff, just chatting and having fun)"

They want the "white knight" experience

Goddamnit did I just use a term co-opted and essentially date-raped by every neckbeard in the MRA movement? Ugh I feel so dirty

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ripped from YKS

Have you ever thought to yourself, "my fork just isn't pulling it's weight towards the singularity"?

Do you have trouble keeping track of how fast you shovel food into your face hole?

Have you ever thought "I need less privacy on Twitter but tweeting my bowel movements is a little déclassé?"

KS posted:

The HAPILABS online dashboard (screenshot below) allows you to see this information for each meal you use the HAPIfork.
  • You can upload your information either via bluetooth on your mobile, or using the USB cable (included) when you connect your HAPIfork to the computer.
  • You can view your information from either your online dashboard or your mobile phone.
  • You can choose whether or not to share your information with family, friends, trainers, or nutritionists, and even add pictures and comments!

Well folks I have the solution for you, the Hapifork.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1273668931/hapifork-the-smart-fork-that-tracks-your-eating-ha-0

Best part is you can stick it in your rear end when it's done

Alan Smithee has a new favorite as of 11:47 on Apr 20, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

The best part is that its a company based in California, and all their base dimensions and captions were based on English units and language. So why there, of all places? Just to appear exotic?

Because Silicon Valley is the land of magical technology. Where rear end.com can make millions from an IPO

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shelf Adventure posted:

They already have pillows with space for your penis, though not exactly for the same reasons.

Yes but there's a distinct pack of anime girl printed on the sheets

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I hate to be that guy but how can we hate on everyone's vanity project and praise the Walken Dinosaur? I thought goons hated monkey cheese. From a practical standpoint did they even demonstrate an ability to pull it off besides their lol concept art?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I love how you have to see the back to get the full message. Otherwise it's "Give me the America"

You can't handle the America!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm so sick and tired of seeing lovely kickstarters that it's good to see a developer cut out the middleman and put a crowdfunder on their own page :haw:

I imagine it's the same developers of Eternal Darkness in the same way the White House of today is the White House of 1972

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

KittyLitter posted:

Uhhh... I'd hate to break it to you... but the White House of today *is* the same White House of 1972.

Really? Same president, same chief of staff, same people cleaning the bathrooms?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Fwiw terms of use is not a contract so how enforceable is that? I know some argument was made about a judge considering a EULA agreement to be like a contract sorry about being vague since I'm not a lawyer or well read on the subject so correct me if im wrong but I imagine one could sue if they clearly acted in bad faith

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

This might come as a shock to you, but the White House is a building and not a group of people.

This may come as a shock to you but WHOOSH

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm not versed in my Eternal Darkness, how did that ever get off the ground if Dyack is such a fuckup? Did it succeed in spite of him (perhaps other competent staff)? Or did he have a fluke

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

Silicon Knights actually developed for Nintendo for several years a decade ago and released ED and the Metal Gear Solid remake, The Twin Snakes, under them. Nintendo pretty much kept Dyack in check but he doomed his own company when he broke off the lucrative deal they had going with Nintendo to make his glorious magnum opus that would been known as Too Human, which as previously mentioned is now currently having all unsold copies destroyed due to SK stealing Epic Games' Unreal Engine to make it.

:stare: What an idiot. Not paying engine royalties is the dumbest thing you can do. I wonder if Too Human will become the ET of our generation

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

perhaps Trump can use Trumpfunding for his 2016 campaign

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

King of Gulps posted:

Kind of lolling at meltdowns over the podcast thing on Twitter.

Examples?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I want to troll that so hard. Just Trump everything. Trump Toupees, Trumpmobiles, Trumpphones, Trump Energy Drinks

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Guys guys, we need to use Trumpstarter to bring back Trump Steaks

Let's make this happen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyONt_ZH_aw

quantum_squirrel posted:

But the Trumpstarter page is really high quality as seen on their Category list:

Yeah I noticed the Hopes and Dreams. That's exactly what crowdfunding needs, is to encourage more unique snowflakery

Alan Smithee has a new favorite as of 00:41 on May 10, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I didn't see these in the KS. And what the hell is going on in that Superman Requiem poster? Is it directed by Monty Python era Terry Gilliam?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Manifest posted:

The difference being that Mondo and Alamo posters tend to be done by someone with talent.

yeah everyone looks like 20 years older...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

NeuroticErotica posted:

So, I emailed him and asked the obvious question and got the obvious reply...

Wow, it's like that one thing that's like Poe's Law except not about Hitler and more about being too dumb to know you're dumb

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Xandu posted:

You know...I can't really hate on him for that. It's definitely a little dishonest, but he's delivering a real, working product and creating a lot of hype for it. Although I bet it doesn't cost $98 to buy normally.

edit: apparently I'm wrong on that last point
https://www.pendleton-usa.com/product/Men/WOVEN-SHIRTS/WOVEN-SHIRTS/SIR-PENDLETON-WOOL-SHIRT/166284/sc/1752/c/1752/pc/1814.uts

Isn't this against their TOS though? Essentially treating KS like a store. Then again what KS isn't violating the TOS these days?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Xandu posted:

http://www.crowdsupply.com/word-lock-inc/stor-more-key-safe

Would you really feel safe putting this thing on your front door?
Yeah, I feel like a 4 letter word combo lock would be easier to brute force

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

All Dyack hatred aside, you've gotta have some serious stones to make a crowdfunder on your own site

This is no different then Black Isle's "give us money so we can ask for money" pitch

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

tuyop posted:

Why would you say that? I mean each tumbler has 26 options and there are four tumblers. You wouldn't have to use a four letter word, it could be anything that you remember. I think it looks like a great idea... Except for the dinky little screw eyelet on the back.

If you were smart yeah, you'd pick GBHX or something. In practice a lot of people are going to pick the equivalent of 1234

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The guide to getting chicks for creepy motherfuckers:

Step 1: Go to developing or even third world countries.

Step 2: Buy a woman for whom being a provider of stronger currency is all she needs to get wet

Hard mode: Go to a first world country like Glorious Nippon but learn the language beforehand.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chapter 1: (That, that) Dude looks like a lady

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Honestly I don't get the fuss about "celebstarters". While it may be true if they couldnt get traditional funding there might be something wrong with it, but really at the end of the day if they deliver a product to their fans what's the big deal?

I have a bigger problem with so called "indie" developers who talk the talk about reinventing the wheel or removing the middle man bullshit and then take the money and run. REAL loving INDIE

By the way I fully expect to contradict myself at a later point in time by making GBS threads on some celeb's self-indulgent vanity project and I reserve the right to do so

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

But...Starship Troopers is a GOOD movie.

Yeah but even Twilight with Rifftrax was hard to get through

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Don't forget beer commercials

"Knitting? That poo poo's for fags son! Man card revoked! Here have a phallic object containing something that tastes like another man's urine!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hot girls usually do. But then again I live in LA so it's not necessarily mutually exclusive