Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ashenai posted:

He's bragging about scoring 105 on an online IQ test :psyduck:

I didn't think those things even went lower than like 120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

zandert33 posted:

Wanted to get everybody's thoughts on this one:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springboard/emperors-new-clothes?ref=category

I personally think it's a great concept as an artistic expression... but really wonder who would want to buy this.

I think it's fantastic. And with over 3/4 of the funding raised and 25 days to go it might actually see print*.

For most people it will just be a conversation piece but I can see people actually "playing" it too, ala Mornington Crescent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington_Crescent_(game)

*"print"

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
For all the people saying "don't treat kickstarter as a pre order system, see it as helping people get stuff done with bonus things if they succeed!" Kickstarter is WORKING as a pre order system, along with the less tangible projects. It's raised millions through pre selling stuff like video games and comics and miniatures. Companies and pledgers alike often treat it as such, and it often works very well. Look at the miniatures companies with laughably small goals but ridiculous choice of rewards packages, you know you're pre ordering models, they know you're pre ordering models and kickstarter knows models are being pre ordered.

Don't treat it as a risk-free pre order system is better advice. As with any unknown, start up or pre order not backed by a huge parent company, research the people and companies involved, sit down and think hard about whether the business plan you're looking at makes sense, look for existing alternatives on amazon or alibaba to make sure it's not just importers with a markup. If you do that, there's nothing wrong with putting down money with the expectation (though not cast iron guarantee) that something will be delivered. And, as far as I'm aware, you have as much of a right to sue the company if they don't deliver as you would have if you ordered through their own website, you just can't involve kickstarter as they treat themselves as a platform, just as you can't sue the web hosting company of the website of the people who dicked you over.

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Mar 8, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

man thats gross posted:

I guess the happy middle ground would be something that doesn't completely mask her femininity, but which is not so revealing that it renders her into a sex toy? Fem Shep might be a good example (although there are plenty of BAD examples in the ME series). You're not going to mistake her for a man, but it isn't exactly a tech demo for a breast physics engine either.

A suit that makes it impossible to determine someone's gender is not a problem in and of itself, I personally find suits that have a "normal" male shape and a "special" female shape more of a problem because it makes masculinity into the default and femininity a deviation from that default. You mistake her for a man because gender neutral = man in most peoples minds, and THIS is the problem.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

man thats gross posted:

Errr, it's not a "special" shape. The shape with broader shoulders and no visible breasts isn't "default", it's the shape of a man. People assume Samus is a man because the suit has a masculine shape, not a gender neutral shape.

Massive shoulders, no neck, broad chest... Samus' power suit doesn't look androgynous, it looks masculine.

It looks completely inhuman is how it looks.

In real life, with poo poo like army combat armour, it's often quite difficult to tell who is wearing it, even when it's tailored for womens' physiques. You lose "visible breasts" and narrow shoulders pretty drat quick when you're layering up clothing and armour, this goes triple for pressure suits like space suits and deep sea diving gear (the nearest comparison we have to the kind of power armour you see in a lot of games). Almost all sci-fi/fantasy female armour is designed to deliberately accentuate aspects of a female shape that real world armour would make substantially less noticeable simply by virtue of it's bulk, in a way that male/default armour is not.

A lot of the things that we interpret as "male" like large size, broadness, lack of a neck etc. are also unavoidable side effects of substantial armour or pressure gear being functional. Things we see as feminine like pronounced curves, breasts, delicacy, and fine features are similarly lost for very practical reasons when armour or pressure gear is worn. So you could say that adding armour gives women a more masculine appearance, because in a way it does. But to me it's still better to have sexless bulky armour all round than "normal" and "girly" versions, because the girly versions are clearly impractical and inconsistent with being functional armour like 90% of the time, and are just there for fan service or to signify deviation from the default

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I really want to know what kinds of families Goons grew up in where brothers and sisters bickering and teasing each other (while still helping each other out in the end, however begrudgingly) is an outrageous sign of weakness and the measure of a parent is how much of a death-grip they have on their childrens' behavior. Like, even the most :spergin: shut-in only child can't be that disillusioned about how families are, right?

No one has said the fact the sons were acting like jackasses makes her a bad parent, her REACTION to it makes her parenting skills questionable. Kids can be arseholes, but the answer is not to make a kickstarter on one child's behalf where you attack and belittle the others. Publicly ridiculing your sons doesn't help your daughter, and it certainly doesn't help your sons or the family dynamic as a whole.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/girls-afraid-of-money-20-experiment-cont-d

So she raised $2,000, got it (FLEXIBLE FUNDING), and now the website is 404'ed http://www.fundher.nationbuilder.com/

Looks like she took the money and ran, and would have done the same thing with the money over and above the $829 she got from this one if the big shitstorm hadn't happened

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Mar 26, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Sid Vicious posted:

Because its not actually a 9 year old girl, I am starting to have doubts it had anything to do with her daughter to begin with. As has been mentioned this woman had some other ridiculous Kickstarters that didn't make it, and now suddenly she's rolling in the dough because "please help my daughter go to camp :cry:"

All her indygogo campaigns were flexible funding, so she got at least 2 grand from people who wanted phone cases and for a website that is now 404'ed.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I'm confused, because I only have one device for connecting to the internet, is this unusual? Dunno the terminology but I've got a little white box that plugs into the phone socket and my computer plugs into that, I think it's the router but there IS no second box.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Why the HELL were people still donating after the $829 was raised? It's essentially a charitable donation to get a kid to camp, but with no stretch goals or plans (other than "buy a kid a laptop" and "spend more weeks at RPG camp" which is probably not even something they let people do) what did they think would happen to any excess money? Were the horribly designed mouse mats and drink cosies really that much of a draw?

Also, did ANYONE contributing think that a single word of the pitch or the video was actually written by a 9 year old? It's an very obviously mature "voice" (what 9 year old has a conception of what a sugar daddy is, much less a working knowledge of where to find photographs of old rich men with young pretty women?). I mean seriously, "It's no secret there aren't enough females in STEM professions" is not a phrase that came from a third graders head.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What? That's loving stupid Orzo. Some people show passion by working on one thing very hard, some people show passion by working on multiple projects, and societal pressures tend to(a phrase Hyzenth highlighted multiple times) pressure women and men into showing their passion in different ways. I'm a dude, and currently a history student and not comp sci, but I show my passion by looking very hard into specific things. For instance last semester I did a research paper on the integration of Muslims and Islam into Chinese society up through the Ming dynasty. I spent as much, if not more time researching it than people with much broader topics, but just because I only focused on that one specific topic doesn't mean I was less passionate. You seem to look at the breadth of someones work as the only way to judge someone's passion, but depth is also a valid way. Speaking in more CSish terms, is someone who who writes one extremely optimized, thoroughly documented, well tested program less passionate than someone who writes three technically working but hacked together programs? Of course not.

He's saying that if you really love doing programming or painting or whatever, you will be doing your own projects in your spare time in addition to the work you're set for class or your job. It's not about bredth, it's about the desire to work on personal projects outside of the allotted time from work or school or whatever. Taking art/animation as an example, when show creators do doodles and sketches and stuff from their show in their spare time I think it does demonstrate a greater "passion" for the project than in people for whom it's just a day job, even if they do that day job really well.

HOWEVER, "passion" ain't everything! If you do your computer programming job really well and then go home and work on model airplanes or whatever, you're still a drat good employee, and in fact I might be more likely to hire you because I know all your programming headspace is being used thinking about MY projects not yours. And as you say some people show a different kind of dedication by doing what they are set way better than is strictly necessary and spending much longer on it than they have to.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Cockmaster posted:

These guys are claiming that they can develop a practical neural interface for an iPhone by running a basic EEG sensor through the Siri voice recognition library:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2102631547/mindgear-mind-control-for-siri-and-your-iphone?ref=category

The massive dump of what appears to be raw code half way down the page is super reassuring!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

tlarn posted:

Surely, he can save a lot of money per episode by using Google and deviantArt to get his backgrounds.

The background used at 1:33 of his video, the bit with the random cherry-blossom tree and the angel, is actually this piece. I use the provided desktop version as a wallpaper; it's drat nice-looking and he kinda shits all over it in his video.

I suspect ALL the backgrounds are stollen, several look suspiciously like are definitely Makoto Shinkai background plates, like

at 1:15

and at 1:13

yeah

If you're gonna steal backgrounds, at LEAST try to cover your tracks by going after some poor sod on DA who isn't one of the biggest names in animation and a maker of films with one of the most distinctive background styles in the drat world.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Maledict posted:

Then they actually file suit to (re)possess the photos, because it still technically *IS* their IP. But then there's a whole murky issue as to whether or not that constitutes copyright infringement, or a derivative, etc.

Which is why the guy should at least know his rights first, and actually *try* to contact Ubisoft first. For example, I did so with Chris (Avellone) of Obsidian before I did the fans pieces I did that're now hanging on the walls of their offices. Even if I intended to actually sell the prints, it's be rude not to ask Chris in the first place.

That said, if the guy was really serious and passionate about it (And have the blessings of Ubisoft and the IP owners), use his own time and money, get the drat costume (Which he has already, that is taken care of), take the camera, and loving do it.

I'm interested in how a test case would pan out. There are companies that print and sell photo books of people in costumes, often of copyrighted characters, and they seem to be able to do it without explicit permission from all the many many IP owners of the original characters the costumes are of.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Vietnamwees posted:

My first guess would be that they do not have their permission at all, and the IP owners would be very angry if they found out about this :ssh:

The IP owners often know about it, these things are openly sold at large events where representatives of major companies are also present. As ...Of Science says, it's often seen as free advertising. IP holders often have strange and complicated relationships with costuming fans, it varies from company to company (lucasfilm allow a certain amount of stuff from tehir 501st legion stormtrooper costumers, Disney keep a notoriously tight hold on their IPs, Japanese companies generally don't give a poo poo, KOEI actually recruit independent costume makers to work for them at conventions, etc)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Exmond posted:

For some reason I hate this term... It just seems so silly to be concerned about people investing tons of money into a kickstarter to make it succeed. They are going against kickstarter rules or something? Or are they sticking it to the man?

If I say I need £10,000 to make a project work, then that should be the BARE MINIMUM I need to get it off the ground. All my pledgers assume that I am only going to go ahead with the project if I get £10,000, and not go ahead with it if I fail, and pledge on that assumption. If I then get £6,000 and I then "kickjack" it the last £4,000, I have only actually raised £6,000, because the £4,000 is not from pledgers, but from people who probably expect to get it back, (maybe immediately after the kickstarter ends, maybe later) so it might not be properly available to the project, if it is at all.

It's not fair to the real pledgers to embark on a project that they thought you would be spending £10,000 on with barely half that. And if you only actually NEEDED £6,000 in the first place, why did you say you needed more?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I would pledge money to a Kickstarter for a device that stopped anybody on the internet from ever citing Dunning-Kruger ever again. It's officially eclipsed "uncanny valley = I don't like how it looks" and "sociopath = a person who acts in a way I find unpleasant" in terms of things that have lost all their original meaning through over-use.

Actually, I think it's one of the few things that is generally used more or less correctly. The title of the original paper was "incompetent and unaware of it" and the thesis was that people who are bad at something are generally also bad at recognising they (and other people) are bad at it. Their incompetence prevents them from making accurate judgements of their competence. I would say the anti gravity kickstarter is a prime example of it.

Really the problem is that it's a psychological phenomenon that is very VERY common but which we never had a name for before, so now we have a name we apply it everywhere, because the effect actually is everywhere.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

The sad thing is, if he was severely injured, he probably WILL burn through all of that in hospital bills.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Because as opposed to donating to an actual charity, or to the local police department who can actually use the money in a better way (or at least I hope so), or to the hospitals where 60-70 more people are being treated, people are focusing all their "charity" on a first-come-first-serve basis. The dude obviously needs money, but he doesn't need it any more than everyone else who does. Disproportionately donating money simply because someone is tech-savvy is lazy donating.

The fact of medical expenses is the following: A lot of the victims are going to come out with a six digit figure in expenses. Then they're going to contact the patient care department at the hospital and they're going to get it cut by 90% if they know what they're doing/saying. In the mean time, the hospital will actually take a hit (an insignificant one, but one at that), and one human being who people paid attention to is coming out $1 million richer.

Yeah it's frustratingly inefficient, but there are FAR worse things people can spend their money on, like $24,000 so a mother can humiliate her kids via the medium of badly made RPG maker games, or yet another useless iphone accessory.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Young Freud posted:

Are you seriously badmouthing a dude who lost both his legs in a terrorist bombing?

No, it's just frustration that one person out of dozens seems to be getting a disproportionate amount of donations. It's understandable but silly to get upset about, at least they're giving money to SOMEONE, and he'll probably need it with the amount of poo poo he'll have to pay for.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Mo Tzu posted:

Why shouldn't he use the "surplus" for personal expenses? Dude's probably not going to be able to work for a year at least, he's gonna need some money to pay his regular bills and keep himself fed.

That's not really surplus. People are talking about if his full rehab, lost earnings and all expenses incurred from losing his legs are less than he's got in donations, probably not terribly likely when you factor in the many years of rehab and the insane cost of private healthcare. $350k won't actually go all that far so it's kinda arguing the toss really.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

ce gars posted:

Tired of your greasy hands dropping your expensive phone? Here, stick this permanent elastic band on it.

It's an okay idea, but it seems to me like you'd be just as likely to drop whatever you've stuck this to just trying to wiggle your fingers inside the bands. At least they're only 6 bucks? v:shobon:v

That just seems like something that is gonna look good(ish) on paper but in the real world having your phone attached to your hand with an elastic bad just seems impractical and uncomfortable. There's a reason compact cameras and wiimotes have a wrist strap rather than finger loops, it gives you the security of knowing you won't drop it with the ability to change your grip on it as needed.

Seriously, make a wrist strap that attaches to the little loopy bit on older phones and has a sticky pad on the end for posh smartphones.

Also, the guy with the GPS attached to his hand is hosed if he needs to look at the map while changing gear, using the parkin break or turning a corner.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

KittyLitter posted:

Here's what he said when I sent him all those links to identical products :

You hear that, faggots?

MICRO PRECISION

Even assuming he's using the posh stainless steel corrosion resistant chain, the fine stuff still only costs about $5 per ring, and obviously any user needs to be able to get a specific length since it's only supplied in set lengths, so removing and refixing the pin can't be that big of a deal. How is he justifying a 12 fold or more markup?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

DStecks posted:

I actually think they look pretty nice, especially if you'd be doing a more straight-medieval low-magic campaign, but the internal variance of the wood will skew the rolls, and that doesn't even account for the total impossibility of machining wood symmetrically by hand.

I think they're pretty, and outside of a casino some slight bias in rolls probably won't make a huge amount of difference, especially since each die will have a slightly different bias profile and if you're rolling a big handful of them like you do in most D6 based wargames there will be a mixture of numbers favoured which will cancel out most of the effect from individual dice.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Wargames like Warhammer and 40k use BUCKETLOADS of D6, since you often roll one for every attack of every model in your unit, and some models can attack like 9 times. A lot of people buy D6s in sets of like 36 or more, so there's definitely a market for them, though most people prefer large matching sets so it's easier to pick out the hits from the misses in large rolls.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Celebrity kickstarters might actually increase traffic to the site as a whole (and by extension funding to smaller projects) by drawing in an entirely new audience. If someone goes to the site for Veronica mars they have a non zero chance of seeing the blurbs for other projects that might interest them or simply getting interested in the site and browsing around

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Unpaid internships should be illegal for a reason. I have no problem with non profit organisations seeking volunteers, but entities that are in business for profit are taking advantage of their power and clout to get poo poo for free, and that isn't right.

Exactly. Even if the people who are involved are happy to be exploited, it's really bad for everyone ELSE and for struggling musicians as a group. It sets a precedent, lets people who can afford to pay get away with not paying and makes life harder for people who actually need to get paid to survive. Bands that were living hand to mouth off their performances could not get onto this tour as initially planned because of income they would lose out on by doing it.

This is a huge reason unpaid internships are really bad, because the kids from working class backgrounds simply can't afford to live in New York or LA or whatever for six months with no income, so it closes off a bunch of industries from entire socioeconomic groups. Imagine if you wanted a job as a whatever and were told great, you can totally do that but we're not paying you for the first two years, and some rich gently caress got the job instead because he had the savings to live with no income for that time. The rich guy is acting in his best interest, the company is acting in their best interest, but it really sucks to be you in that situation

If you're making money off of peoples work, you pay them a fair portion of that money, whether they ask to be paid or not.

quote:

Don't coddle them, they're adults and know what's in their best interest.

So are Scabs. Scabbing is good for the scab and good for the boss and bad for workers as a whole. That's why it's bad.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Tazzillekki posted:

The way I see it, money isn't the only thing you can gain from these kinds of volunteering work. The fact that for any reason you cannot afford to take advantage of this internship is not the company's problem. It's not the rich guy's problem. It's not a problem at all. You just lack the resources. I took an internship last summer out of town and it was hard as gently caress on my bank account. I had to borrow money, crash on a acquaintance's couch and all that jazz. I still came out with a net gain from the experience even if I was overall poorer for it.

Scab.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

MrGenlock posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/666653874/nsp-changing-the-way-we-play-video-games

This man wants your money to buy dozens of pre-owned copies of Black Ops 2, for you to play, surrounded by other people.

He also apparently lives about 15 miles from me.

His whole pitch seems to be "hey guys, remember when games had local multiplayer?" as if it's something that no longer exists

Also, £10,000 won't even get him "ALL the consoles" (from Atari to PS4!) and a decent number of games let alone kit out an entire building. I know a guy who runs the gaming area at major events and his inventory including all the consoles, games, peripherals and TV/AV kit set him back far more than that

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Nnep posted:

In other news, the future is here!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game

We've finally invented the human hamster wheel. I'm not quite a gamer, but i can appreciate the technology. I can already see the term 'omnitack' as a soon to be well known phrase among paramedics as they pry large sweaty boymen out of their steel nerd cage with the jaws of life. Cause of death: trying to get the best sniper position first.

At this point you might as well just go outside. You get actual fresh air out there and you might even see a squirrel!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Crashbee posted:

Turning an animal into a toy is actually pretty vile and I'm not surprised their comments page has turned into a debate on ethics and animal rights.

Yeah, I'm inherently kinda grossed out by it much more than something like frog dissections or the same thing being done in a lab as part of a wider experiment, but we should probably nip the debate in the bud in this thread since I can smell a big derail on the horizon

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

senrath posted:

So, while the kickstarter itself isn't really awful, DoubleFine's Massive Chalice kickstarter has added support for pledging with bitcoins.

You can take advantage of idiot nerds without being one yourself. I like to think that there are people who are True Believers who will give them bitcoins not because they want the game but because they think it will improve the uptake of bitcoins, and Doublefine know this and are using it to their advantage. There was a goon who sold gemstones for bitcoins a while back, as long as you cash out to real money quickly it's not the WORST way of getting money out of terrible nerds.

If anyone at doublefine is actually a bitcoin supporter that's pretty bad though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Verdugo posted:

Reports from creators say it takes several weeks to get paid from Kickstarter, so I think they're not being entirely honest in their apology. They're doing it after the fact, so they get their cut, and hope it blows over. This way they get their money and look good. The damage has already been done.

Their cut is much less than the $25,000 they're donating to RAINN so it's obviously not JUST about the money, taking their cut they get to come out about $23,000 out of pocket rather than $25,000.

Being charitable, while it may take several weeks for the cheques to be mailed, there may be some legal/bookkeeping reason not to just refund everyone, that is to say perhaps they now essentially have a legally binding contract to forward the money to the creator even if the actual act of doing the wire transfer or cutting a cheque hasn't happened. Maybe it's legally HIS money now, and refunding it would be stealing. I dunno if that's the case, but it's a possibility, sometimes once things are in motion you can't reasonably stop them without breaching a contract.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Manifest posted:

Behold, a kickstarter for... coin purses!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/407556923/sacco-first-coin-sack-on-kickstarter?ref=home_popular

It'll look marvelous with my wallet chain. :allears:

He does know that small leather pouches already exist right?

It irritates me to see people presenting their kickstarters as innovative new solutions to problems, problems that have already been solved....with the exact same solution! Just say that you're making a regular leather pouch but this one is nicer than the ones you can already get because it uses better materials/has better crafting/is cheaper/is more ethical or whatever. Don't pretend to have invented the wheel!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Colon Semicolon posted:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/questria-princess-destiny
This
loving
WHY IS THIS A THING?! and you just KNOW it's gonna get funded because it's a popular artist and the double funding time!

Project aside, the flat wage of $15 an hour for all the art assets seems on the low side, or are artists expected to earn barely above minimum wage? As does assigning ten hours to do ALL the sound design, music and recording. I guess at least they've got a detailed breakdown, though "coding, $30,000" seems a bit loving broad.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

DancingPenguin posted:

What is this person even trying to say? :eng99:

He's saying that Obesity is entirely a mental health issue and the easy availability of extremely high calorie food has no influence on the amount of calories people consume in a day (they eat too much because they're suffering from an eating disorder and would eat just as much even if it was harder to get hold of high calorie food)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Colon Semicolon posted:

They're cockroaches. They'll probably be alive long after we've gone extinct. I doubt a few people loving with some to try and learn about nueral pathway structuring (or just loving around with them for fun which doesn't matter because they're more willing to tear their own leg off to escape something than save it) will cause them any real trouble. If someone is such a tree hugging gently caress-off that they think there's some reason to be upset by this, then they need to re-evaluate their life to an extreme degree.

I reiterate, you gotta be willing to get dirty to learn something. We've torn open bodies of MANY things en masse to even get as far as we have. what's a few bugs in comparison?

It's less about the cockroach, more about the person messing about with the cockroaches brain for fun. Kinda like how it's disturbing to see a child pulling the wings off flies even if you yourself swat flies all day long.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Rudager posted:

I keep mine in my top pocket, because otherwise I don't hear it when I'm wondering around the factory.

And when I invariably end up climbing/jumping over things, under things, up things, it always falls out and smashes on the ground.

You should pledge to my kickstarter then, it's called the pocket plummet preventer. Basically it's just a strip of velcro with double sided sticky tape on the back, you put in inside the top of your pocket so you can seal it up after you put your phone in, but without the need for an unsightly button or zipper. Ten bucks will get you 5 Pocket Plummet Preventers, which is only about a 1000% markup compared to just buying half a yard of sticky backed velcro at Joanns, but those pitch videos don't pay for themselves you know!

(what I'm saying is, put velcro in the tops of your pockets so your phone doesn't keep falling out)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Rapdawg posted:

lastly I have two editors who are fantastic enough to have been English majors but sound minded enough to pick a more career friendly major.

You have to be a fantastic editor to be an English major now?

EDIT: had a look at the video and the project. Echoing what other people have said, the video is, I'm afraid, pretty poor. Maybe someone like Tim Schafer can get away with a talking heads video, but he has a soild history of producing great games and is a known personality in the industry. Until you're a Tim Schafer of a Peter Molyneux, keep to the background and let the game do the talking. If you don't have anything done from the game proper, show footage from your previous VN projects, or your working demo. If you don't have any previous VN projects OR a working demo, it's not kickstartin' time, it's "learn to make visual novels before asking for fifteen thousand dollars to make a visual novel" time. Also the outtakes were entirely unnecessary and the choppy editing was a horrible choice.

When you say the game is "written", do you mean you have a working game that can be played the entire way through but just has placeholder stick-figure art, or do you mean you have a script written and are still waiting to get the programming bit done? If it's the former, then show it in the video! You can have the artists do some sketchy portraits for a short test section out of your own pocket and move on to fully finished art in the final game if you get funded. That way at least you can show a working game in the video. If you don't have a working game, then do that NOW, then at least if the kickstarter fails you can put it out with public domain art or MS paint doodles or something for free, and the statement that the only thing preventing the games release is the lack of art assets will actually be true.

$50 for shipping is laughable. I don't care what it would take to ship to Singapore, most of your foreign customers WON'T be in Singapore, they'll be mostly from Canada, a lot from the UK, some from the rest of Europe and a few from Australia, South Africa and other smaller English speaking countries. Checking a random kickstarter, even shipping a heavy graphic novel is only priced as $30, a game is a much smaller object and if you produce the game as a DVD in a cardboard slipcase you'd be able to ship at letter rates, not parcel rates, and shipping would be even less. Shipping a DVD in a cardboard slipcase from the US to the UK is not $50.

Your artists seem alright, from the portfolios they seem to lack experience and are still developing as artists but they can definitely draw; I presume they are quite young? I agree with other goons though, the collaborative portrait of the five main characters is absolutely horrible. If that's what we'll see in the game then I'd dump the "realistic" colouring style altogether, the picture you have done in that style doesn't work, and flat colouring is much more cost effective.

Why is the 3DS option before the Android option? This game seems like it would be much more at home on Android devices, and the $20,000 goal is to apply for the dev kit, not necessarily actually have the game on 3DS.

You mention one of the things preventing the game being released is music. You mention music is expensive. That's all you say about the music. Who will be writing it? Will you be commissioning original compositions or will you be licensing pieces like Braid did?

Your website says "One major goal of this work was to explore themes of nationality, race, religion, and sexuality all against the backdrop of a futuristic space adventure". Your kickstarter doesn't. Why? Have you changed your minds?

You say there are few women on the ship. In your cast list, I count four men and three women (four if you count the nurse which has a very feminine look in the character design picture, even if you say the "face plates" can be changed), and one of those men is the player, where you want to include a female option. That's close enough to an even split, and these are the only characters you mention, if there are more it is not made clear that this is the case. Contradictions like this make the pitch seem really amateurish. Also it's hard to pin down, but the wording of the pitch, especially the character blurbs, is really lifeless and flat and does not inspire confidence that the game will have top notch writing.

Your ship design doesn't look like it would hold a lot of cargo. I'm seriously nitpicking now, but go look at cargo ships in real life, and cargo-based space ship designs from movies and other games. You'll notice they have enormous cargo holds, or act as tugs for huge containers. Your ship looks like a bubbly little gradius fighter. It's not a huge thing, but it kinda betrays a lack of thought and consideration.

You say very little about the actual story, even the premise. A Thriller where "On a cargo ship in space, something goes wrong". That's technically the plot of Alien, but look at the original theatrical trailer for Alien, it gets over a hell of a lot more about what the movie will feel like without huge infodumps and masses of spoilers. Short, succinct descriptions of what the story is LIKE are far more appealing than long character bios, I should find out the captain misses his family through play, not be told it in a blurb, and I DEFINITELY don't need to know it at the pitch stage. Show don't Tell. You're trying to sell me on a concept, not show me all the clever worldbuilding you've been doing, that's for later. Knowing whether or not the spaceship has a robot nurse is irrelevant at this stage.

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Jul 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Randalor posted:

My girlfriend alerted me to this one. Press Start. A 2 player "8-bit tabletop battle" game (which you can expand with every new deck you buy!). What's not to love about it? It has lovely edited Megaman sprites, REALLY lovely 8-bit sprites, a decent number of cards show NES cartridges. Oh, and the rules state you can play attack cards if you have a hero, it seems rather easy to lose your first hero, the combat rules are clunky as hell, and it seems rather easy to kill your opponent's hero, then just attack twice more and win by default.

Also, there's a Cthulhu card. Because why the gently caress not apparently.

I guess it's cheap, if it's a horrible game to play you don't lose much.

And at least they're only charging 7 bucks for international shipping, not FIFTY. Seriously goon dude, 50 dollars to ship me a DVD of your lovely Visual Novel and a press kit (whatever that entails)? You're avin' a larf mate.