Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

gschmidl posted:

It's basically placeholder art, they just wanted something to show off for the Kickstarter/at SXSW.

Noooo, gonna have to agree with AxeManiac here. I'm no heartless tin man unmoved by nostalgia, and U7 and UO were both life-changingly extraordinary, but no amount of wanting to love this game is going to convince me that this is looking good, or even mediocre. It looks bad, like barely better than Ultima 9. For example, in part of the video as Garriot talks about what makes a great RPG, a nearly unlit character on screen is bashing on a catapult with a sword until it catches fire and ultimately explodes violently in a shower of chunky pieces. During the part where Garriot talks about "logically crafted, culturally relevant storytelling" the woman on-screen is telling the avatar that her family specializes in selling tamed ducks.

Color me cynical, but while DF:A, Wasteland, Project Infinity, Star Citizen and Shadowrun are all looking great or at least pretty good, this is just dismal. If it's placeholder art they should have gone with no art.

God I hope I'm wrong, I'd give my left thumb for a real Ultima sequel. It will definitely get funded; already over 50% with 28 days left, so I guess we'll all find out.

Chewbot has a new favorite as of 10:18 on Mar 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Oh boy, sexism debate!

Not sure why this has become such a hot topic lately, but being in game development myself it seems a lot less complex than most of these discussions make it out to be. I think there are really only two things that often go unconsidered:

1) A developer or publisher is trying to make money. I am certain Nintendo has considered a Peach-themed game. The question: all things equal, will a Mario game or a Peach game make more revenue? "Well that was an easy decision", they probably concluded 2 seconds later.

2) The majority of men like sexy women, and they're also making the games with sexy women in them. Truly a coincidence for the ages.

How can we change it? Would a reasonable question be "should we change it"? It's not surprising that the two genders like different kinds of games, with overlap being the minority. Whether a developer decides to make a game targeted towards men or woman should, similarly to film and books, be up to them. And picking on Nintendo about equality, of all companies, seems like a thinly veiled personal agenda.

But since this is about awful Kickstarters (and there was nothing particularly awful about that Tropes video), here:

The most specific Mary Sue in children's book history

Pay me to write anonymous notes to people you know

Help me complete my Tarot set depicting CHILDREN STOLEN BY ANIMALS

A poster that very loosely explains how to design a poster

54 seconds of engine revving. For just $265k there's plenty more where THAT came from!

This is not how you promote your sexuality

I live somewhere so beautiful that I want to photograph it black and white with everyone's face blurred out

Frat jerks need your money to PAAAAARRTTYYY

Do you like disc golf, but hate holding things in your hands?

Do you ever wish that your iphone could blend in with a field full of rocks?

Project of my Lyfe!!! [sic]

Chewbot has a new favorite as of 08:07 on Mar 12, 2013

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So to sum up your counter arguments: "I don't even know why people would want to talk about this," "misogyny is profitable", "gaming has always been like that so just accept it," "people who point out the misogyny endemic in this industry must have a hidden personal agenda" and "I don't have a problem with the way games are so I don't think anyone else should either."

That's ... not exactly helpful to the discussion at hand. It sounds more like you're trying to circumvent the debate entirely rather than engage any points that Sarkeesian raised.

Heh, I knew somebody would immediately claim that my personal opinions on the matter must be 100% wrong.

"I don't know why anyone would want to talk about this" is in no way similar to "Not sure why this has become a hot topic lately".

"Mysogeny is profitable" is in no way similar to "A publisher decides what to make based on revenue", which has been my experience in the industry. And by the way, making a product with a demographic does not make it misogynistic. Misogyny is when you HATE women, not when you want to RESCUE them from dragons. Don't throw terms like misogyny around casually.

"Gaming has always been this way so let's accept it" is in no way similar to "men who are making the games like looking at sexy women", which has also been my experience in the industry. Let me know the next time you have to rework the concept for the base female model because literally 4 different EA managers have 4 different ideas about what her body type should be, and you're just a salaried artist.

"People who point out mysoginy must have a personal agenda" is in no way similar to "Picking on Nintendo seems like a personal agenda". Nintendo is a company who caters to children and primarily gender-neutral audiences. If you're attacking them first while drowning in a sea of games filled with strippers and hookers, maybe it's because of you, not them.

"I don't have a problem with it, so nobody else should either" is the opposite of asking if "Should we change it?" is a reasonable question.

As for addressing Sarkeesian's issues, I watched the video and saw that she was very even-handed and made very few subjective opinions. She summarized the video asking "Why can't we have more girl-centric games from franchises like Mario and Zelda?" I responded with what I believe are the reasons we don't, regardless of my personal feelings about the topic. I also stated that I'm in favor of the developer deciding what kind of game they want to make, which is the opposite of circumventing the debate. The point of my post was asking whether there is really an issue here, instead of assuming that there is one.

Why go for the straw man on literally every single point? You twisted my frankly benign statements into the same category as the psychopaths who clearly want to murder her and leave her in a ditch. At least I posted a poo poo-ton of terrible kickstarters because I felt bad about going on a tangent.

Chewbot has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Mar 12, 2013

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

I think he's self-aware that his projects are absurd, but not a direct parody of Kickstarter.

Notice the other 4 projects created by "Ridiculo.us"? He has successfully funded a riff of 50 Shades of Grey in which each page is a different shade of grey, a fake marathon in which a bunch of people pretend they're in a real race for some reason, and an app to auto-shop a beard onto baby pictures. His latest campaign for a device that makes your voice sound auto-tuned through an iphone somehow failed to meet its goal, but so far he has made about $34,000 in low-effort gimmick Kickstarter campaigns in about a year's time. Interestingly, despite all of these campaigns being created by one man, every new project lists his location as being a different city.

Chewbot has a new favorite as of 09:43 on Mar 19, 2013

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

I wonder if Threadless is ok with this.

Funny thing is, if his website is legit then he's done some good design work for real clients. Why go so lazy/cynical about the KS audience?

Chewbot has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Mar 20, 2013

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Isizzlehorn posted:

Man, that has me thinking. How insane do you think a Kickstarter to get more of Firefly would be?.. :stare:

I imagine it would make upwards of $10-$15 million on Kickstarter, the most KS has ever seen for a single project, and after everyone takes their cut it would get to keep enough money to pump out maybe two or three episodes, which is kind of... pointless. Firefly was an expensive show with a large cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Bleh, feel bad for that Flick guy. He's just got a lovely life and has no idea what to do with it.

Project Babylon, on the other hand. Ahahaha that's exactly what this thread is for.

I remember when I was a kid I would design games like this. OH man, I had a great idea! It's a whole city the size of a planet and it has the best graphics EVER and you can go anywhere and do anything! And you can play games in it, and there's a fighting game, and a racing game and you can run on the rooftops and sometimes aliens come and you have to fight them off! And you can even create your own games and music and share them! All I need is a guy who can do art and a guy who can do some programming...

Sad thing is even if he sold his soul to the devil and the ultimate incarnation of this game just appeared out of the ether it would still be a complete and absolute failure. Nobody likes this "virtual real world!" bullshit.

Favorite part is that everything is so freaking broad and epic in scope, except this one line from the "Epic Hunter RPG Fantasy realm": "There will be no tank or healer classes." Yeah, gently caress those classes! Now, back to "Giving online language or cooking lessons!"