Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Deadeye Dick posted:

My only problems with this are that

a) Zelda was too the protagonist in her own game (on the CDi) (okay fine, that doesn't count)

and

b) Double Dragon Neon is a rather ironic and self-referential game that pokes a bit of fun at the franchise. The gut-punch at the beginning is more like a Louis CK joke in that it's funny because it's wrong.

Okay, so it's still wrong, I guess that doesn't count either...
I watched it all, one part that stood out to me was Princess Peach has never been in a game as a protagonist. Except that game on the DS where she was, but we don't count that because ________.

Other than that, it seems like an average game history video that focuses on female characters. I want to say that I have an opinion on the whole "re-releasing games with the trope" aspect, maybe make a terrible analogy to remaking movies with racist tones in them because "that's how it was," but I can't think of one. I didn't even know that this was an issue. How is this issue solved other than straight up removing the female character/rescue plot, or making the females males (and/or vice versa for the heroes)?

I'm hoping her part two of "Damsel in Distress" goes into her ideas for solving this, but it seems like it'll be "This trope is in video games, but these games are newer." Has anyone else watched part one yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Super Princess Peach isn't part of the main series, and they specified main series like a billion times. Sorry you weren't paying attention? Also yeah, it doesn't count because it's basically "LOL, Women Are So Irrational, Am I Right?: The Video Game".

You are right, she does specify "main series." Still, it is one of the examples of role-reversal for stereotypically helpless princesses. Even if it does have the whole "mood" system (women-are-hysterical-dames trope), she is still a strong female lead rescuing a helpless male. It may only be one game out of the millions Nintendo has pumped out, but it was a baby step in the right direction.

Now, if you want to talk about a strong female lead being neutered (spayed?) out of their games, look at Samus. Every Metroid game, every one had her as an independent protagonist that was strong and didn't rely on a male protagonist to reach the goal. Except for Other M where she becomes "uguu samus-chan~," a submissive female that can't do anything until Adam tells her. poo poo, it's even known from interviews that that's what Sakamoto was going for.

I'd be happy to see "Other M" in the next video. It's a wonderful discussion topic on this industry going in the absolute wrong direction.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Is there a collective word for awful internet bullshit, like "grognard" is to gamers? I mean stuff like libertarian bitcoin-having fedora-wearing athiest MRAs on reddit. Either way, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/569272765/the-ron-paul-bust-project?ref=search :psyduck:

England, we need to have a talk.

Ron Paul for UK President, maybe?

RE[VUL]UTION

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Another young game design entrepreneur? I'm always glad to see fresh creativ-

quote:

Tanner's dad is going to ASU Online to pursue his dream to be a game designer, and so his dream and goal right now is to do the same and make a game. This is Tanner's start!

I'm going to project my dream onto my autistic son! :downs:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

vxskud posted:

2 years and over 50 grand for a crummy "retro" platformer the kind that people are churning out for free in flash.

Still not released

http://kotaku.com/kickstarter-game-...dium=Socialflow

Yes, we will release this game on OUYA. I can't believe how many people are asking!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Rosalind posted:

I think it was probably safe to call a scam the moment they said "charge your phone with a cup of coffee."

hey now

flip the thing over and you can charge with a cold drink too. it's revolutionary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Has Sonic Team ever announced a game and then not made it?

yuji naka was the reason sonic x-treme got cancelled way back in the 90s because another sonic team had the gall to use his code.