Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

So these guys have a kickball team. Only they want $2500 for uniforms.

Not quite sure why they can't wear a goddamn t-shirt like everyone else in the league (Disclosure: I once played in this league years ago). Also one of the higher-end backing tiers is that they'll let you stay under their tent if it's raining!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

John Rogers (creator and showrunner of Leverage, among other things) had a couple of thoughts on the Veronica Mars Kickstarter and it's worth a read.

He spent most of Thursday night schooling that Atlantic writer about how TV is funded, which is what question 3 is all about.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Do you have a link to the original Atlantic article he's referring to?

I believe the article is this one.

Kickstarter isn't about need for money, but want. At least according to this guy.

(There's also a bunch of Twitter screaming from a lot of people starting March 13th, if you follow John Rogers on Twitter he starts out talking about the article and then ends up giving a class in how TV and movies are funded.)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

With 33 minutes to go and a single donation, I don't think the get a kickball team some uniforms project is going to make it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Sometimes I wish that Portlandia didn't pull so many punches.

Back the second edition of Pedal, Stretch, Breathe: the Yoga of Bicycling.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Guys guys, we need to use Trumpstarter to bring back Trump Steaks

Let's make this happen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyONt_ZH_aw

Yeah I noticed the Hopes and Dreams. That's exactly what crowdfunding needs, is to encourage more unique snowflakery

My hope is to wish Donald Trump and his hair into the cornfield. Please, give generously so that we can make this happen.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Looking through the Recently Launched or Ending Soon categories can yield some gems.

Just launched: The Biggest Flag Ever, where the only thing that can possibly go wrong with the project is the weather.

Ending soon: A wall-mounted bottle opener, billed as a "forever object."

Also, what is with all of the deck of playing card projects I see lately? They're becoming the new iPod accessory. Though this particular project didn't go through, maybe it was the fabric on the headband...

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

este posted:

DancingPenguin linked it above you, but Lore pretty much disproves your hypothesis: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1376466869/lore-0/?ref=kicktraq

How did I miss this before?

look at the bottom im working on it as you can see this is really me doing it

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Madcosby posted:

Is working in a patent office just the equivalent of working in a nuthouse? The poo poo they must get... do they have to take someone seriously if they can't even write?

Just like Valve has an economist on staff, I'm beginning to think Kickstarter needs a social worker or psychologist to talk some of these folks off their ledge.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

wa27 posted:

Oh wow. Apart from products that never get made, that looks like the worst resulting product from a technology kickstarter I've seen. $165 for that?!

I think it was $269. Makes the Leap look useful by comparison.

Gesture interfaces may be coming someday, but certainly not with Ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hey, man, if you really need those geometric shapes crafted out of metal, you've gotta be willing to take some risks.

I'm still trying to figure out what the tungsten cubes were supposed to be for. Communicating with alien life? Putting in a terrarium? Teaching Platonic solids to your homeschooled dolt? I don't get it.