Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Chewbot posted:

"Mysogeny is profitable" is in no way similar to "A publisher decides what to make based on revenue", which has been my experience in the industry. And by the way, making a product with a demographic does not make it misogynistic. Misogyny is when you HATE women, not when you want to RESCUE them from dragons. Don't throw terms like misogyny around casually.

Except the whole point of the Damsel in Distress trope is that it reduces women to objects to be won. You could replace the Damsel with a pot of gold in a lot of games and, other than a bit of screaming for help, the story doesn`t change.

quote:

"People who point out mysoginy must have a personal agenda" is in no way similar to "Picking on Nintendo seems like a personal agenda". Nintendo is a company who caters to children and primarily gender-neutral audiences. If you're attacking them first while drowning in a sea of games filled with strippers and hookers, maybe it's because of you, not them.
Nintendo is a massively important company in gaming`s history and to the popularisation of the trope, which is why she focused on their influence in this video. In the next she`ll be looking at the trope in more modern games which will probably include a lot of different companies. I agree that Nintendo primarily targets gender-neutral audiences, but I don`t think she`s attacking them and nor is she ignoring other games. I think that considering these games are seen as gender neutral but still reduce female characters to objects to be won it is worth looking closely at why this is. In other words - why aren`t female characters playing bigger roles in gender neutral games?

As for the "Should we change?" question, it`s a fair one but the answer is absoloutely yes. Perceptions of women as helpless and as objects is pervasive through pretty much all media types and influences people`s attitudes and perceptions of themselves and others. You can say that it`s a reflection of society, but if media starts to change, people`s perceptions change too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

seal it with a kiss posted:

Don't worry dudes we're covered too

They already have pillows with space for your penis, though not exactly for the same reasons.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I think comparing "not having a reliable power source" to "not having a spare pen" is pretty disingenuous.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Modern Day Hercules posted:

who gives a poo poo

The people having a discussion about it. If you don't care just scroll past it

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Holy poo poo. Where do you live that this kind of abuse is just saying hello?