Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tindahbawx posted:

Now all I need is some guide similar to "How not to make Grid Based Hellscape Cities for Dummies".

Is there anyone who does good guides on making your cities aesthetically pleasing?

In addition to the large-scale things (people would settle near the mouth of a river, how does my rail line connect all the tiles, etc) this idea may help: Start with nothing but multiple 1000 person villages on each (non-small) tile, each radiating out farms, and grow each one separately. Got a new intersection in the middle of all those farms? Plop down a dozen buildings there. You know, 10 houses, a gas station, and a bar -- that sort of thing. Or maybe a small factory and two dozen trailers (and a bar).

Eventually these things will grow together, and there's little chance they'll line up, so there goes the grid.

Also, as tough (and blasphemous) as it can be for some, learn not to fear empty space. If it helps, think that even cookie-cutter (low-density, at least) developments don't have all the lots sold and buildings built at once.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I've been playing in a new region and made a park/canal.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

That looks immensely depressing. Also practical.

I rather like it a lot, but yes, it is kind of depressing at the same time. Mostly because many of those 1 mile square blocks are mostly abandoned as you go farther south.

benzine posted:

I've been playing in a new region and made a park/canal.

I've never understood how to build canals. How does it work? It seems whenever I place a canal it is a structure that doesn't alter the terrain and is more about aesthetic than it is about use, but I'm not sure.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

I rather like it a lot, but yes, it is kind of depressing at the same time. Mostly because many of those 1 mile square blocks are mostly abandoned as you go farther south.

I've never understood how to build canals. How does it work? It seems whenever I place a canal it is a structure that doesn't alter the terrain and is more about aesthetic than it is about use, but I'm not sure.

Yes they're only aesthetic stuff same as parks.

Edit: Although thanks to NAM, there exist some canals with transit capability (CAN-AM). I have never used them.

benzine fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 26, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

benzine posted:

Yes they're only and aesthetic stuff same as parks.

Neat! Now I know how to use it though :)

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
People seem to be under the misconception that it's a game about making numbes go bigger and not a picture painting application :v:

That's a sweet looking park & canal, I appreciate the lack of skyscrapers.

edit:

My favourite place in any city I've ever built. I imagine it would be an amazing place to grow up as a child.

kinnas fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 26, 2015

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

kinnas posted:

People seem to be under the misconception that it's a game about making numbes go bigger and not a picture painting application :v:
Those people are correct. I'm here to push pixels around and watch numbers go up.

Other truths: cheetah speed at all times is the only way to play the game.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Curvature of Earth posted:

A correct opinion.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008

This makes me shudder and even the thought of it stresses me out. Play on pause, occasionally hit play and hope poo poo doesn't explode.

The scariest thing in this game is running out of money and having to sit there in cheetah speed waiting for taxes to come in. Scarier than Amnesia.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

kinnas posted:

This makes me shudder and even the thought of it stresses me out. Play on pause, occasionally hit play and hope poo poo doesn't explode.

The scariest thing in this game is running out of money and having to sit there in cheetah speed waiting for taxes to come in. Scarier than Amnesia.

People still budget balance in this game? gently caress that. SC4 is being able to build a sexy looking city and giving no fucks about having a negative income each month. But who cares when you start with 4 trillion bucks

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
Budget balancing can be fun imo, if you're trying to do the [small farm town] -> [gigantic metropolis] thing, and marvel at your progress along the way. It's just that upgrading existing roads is so incredibly finicky (why can't I just drag an avenue through diagonal roads??) for it to be enjoyable at all.

Speaking of finicky transit pieces, which of the NAM light rail mods are least painful to use? I absolutely hate how I can drag el-rail over roads but have to use puzzle pieces for every intersection that crosses the goddamn road. I tried trams briefly in a small city, but pedestrians didn't seem to be too hot on getting to the station on foot unless it was right next to a road.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Brotato Broth posted:

pedestrians didn't seem to be too hot on getting to the station on foot unless it was right next to a road.

Isn't that how all transit stations work?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

They're not common in places outside of the US because, like say for instance European countries, have a bunch of old garbage their ancestors left laying around and it's cheaper to just build around it than to demolish it and put down good city structure. It has almost nothing to do with city planner's aesthetic sense.
tbf a lot of European towns started that way. The Romans not only loved establishing settlements with a gridded road layout when possible, but they also preceded the US in terms of uncreative place-naming.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Then there's things like a nice fire (London) or bombing (Rotterdam) that offer the opportunity for an otherwise infeasible redesign. You still keep a lot of the original layout but at least you can update )widen' the streets to accommodate modern traffic and stuff.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Taeke posted:

Then there's things like a nice fire (London) or bombing (Rotterdam) that offer the opportunity for an otherwise infeasible redesign. You still keep a lot of the original layout but at least you can update )widen' the streets to accommodate modern traffic and stuff.

And then there was the time Baron Haussmann actually played SimCity with Paris. :getin:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Or the earthquake in Lisbon.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Or we can bulldoze entire sections of old musty falling apart junk from before grandpa and build luscious clean towers of gleaming might and power!
Bulldoze the relics, usher in a gleaming new age! :black101:

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Is there some trick to getting RHW bridges to connect up properly?

I can build the bridge fine, I can build the RHW up to the bridge fine. EXCEPT the one tile prior to the bridge on either side of the span will remain standard Maxis Highway, and wont switch over to an RHW square when I drag the RHW across it.

Its a RHW 6S I'm trying to use.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tindahbawx posted:

Is there some trick to getting RHW bridges to connect up properly?

I can build the bridge fine, I can build the RHW up to the bridge fine. EXCEPT the one tile prior to the bridge on either side of the span will remain standard Maxis Highway, and wont switch over to an RHW square when I drag the RHW across it.

Its a RHW 6S I'm trying to use.

I had that same problem, and I resorted to just using avenues for bridges instead of RHW. I believe that having a one-square space between the bridges also prevents the problem, though that may not be viable depending on the circumstances of the area you're building in.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I wish RHW weren't so fiddly; I mean, the newest version at least adds the city connection link tiles so you don't have to look up what voodoo you used to have to do to get that to work.

I really like the look of it when it works, though; two RHW-4 lanes spaced a tile or two apart remind me of the highways near where I live:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I've been playing in the weekend and downloading some new content. I'll post some images.

And finally Fukushima Daichii plant.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

benzine posted:

I've been playing in the weekend and downloading some new content. I'll post some images.

And finally Fukushima Daichii plant.

Very nice! Your screenshots always are great :)

I was on winter break this week and I was so burned out from working full time/going to school full time that I only had the energy/will to sleep in and watch TV all day. I'm working on a new megacity right now, so Im stoked to work on it while in class haha

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Made a collage from the city at night. I love the night at this game, some of you may not know but there is a mod to make night darker than vanilla.
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23089-simfox-day-and-nite-modd/

So here is the collage.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
Loving those shots!

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks kinnas and Tusen.

Here is my region so far.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

What mod is it that lets you take those nice screenshots?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
It is the region census but I was experimenting with this:
Creating "Square" Region Images Tutorial

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I haven't played since 2011. What are the biggest changes and achievements the modding scene has seen since?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Update from the region. Waiting for C:S.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bouchacha posted:

I haven't played since 2011. What are the biggest changes and achievements the modding scene has seen since?

NAM and CAM are improved, there's more buildings and overpasses and road options, as well as better and more stable terrain mods, otherwise, there isn't much I'm afraid.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So EA goes and announces the shutdown of the main Maxis studio during the Game Developers Conference:

Kotaku posted:

Today we are consolidating Maxis IP development to our studios in Redwood Shores, Salt Lake City, Helsinki and Melbourne locations as we close our Emeryville location. Maxis continues to support and develop new experiences for current Sims and SimCity players, while expanding our franchises to new platforms and developing new cross-platform IP.

These changes do not impact our plans for The Sims. Players will continue to see rich new experiences in The Sims 4, with our first expansion pack coming soon along with a full slate of additional updates and content in the pipeline.

All employees impacted by the changes today will be given opportunities to explore other positions within the Maxis studios and throughout EA. For those that are leaving the company, we are working to ensure the best possible transition with separation packages and career assistance.

http://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-simcity-developer-maxis-1689454903

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Back on decent internet so should be active again to QA peoples problems with my mod pack. I'll also probably start adding more stuff to it etc for a future release.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Dam, check out this mod. People are really starting to jump onto the corner building mods.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/30180-sky-towers/

No dependencies.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
It's been pretty quiet on this thread. I assume everyone is busy playing Cities: Skylines.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

It's been pretty quiet on this thread. I assume everyone is busy playing Cities: Skylines.

Already gone back to SC4. I wasn't overly impressed with the game considering it's 2015.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tai posted:

Already gone back to SC4. I wasn't overly impressed with the game considering it's 2015.

Consider that it's a $30 game made by like, 10 people.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I wouldn't say I'm unimpressed by Cities, but I can see myself continuing to play SC4 when I want to work on a realistic, large scale project. Right now the scale and map size of Cities doesn't accommodate the same grandiose scale of region play. Also realistic scale airport and seaports.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 14, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, I'm having fun with it but the lack of regions means it's not a replacement. It is good though, and you can do some crazy poo poo with roads.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Seriously if they just add region play, fix up the road tool a bit, and maybe tune the agent simulation for bugs, I'm pretty convinced the modding community will take care of the rest (like to-scale farms and airports and such). When that happens maybe Cities will scratch the itch for both a fun city building game and the nerd bonsai garden, but right now it's more the former than the latter for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

They're two completely different games for me. SC4 is more about making pretty, realistic looking cities, a bonsai garden as you guys often say, while Skylines (so far) is more of an actual game (as in progressing through a set of challenges and stuff) and less of a simulation, if that makes sense.

• Locked thread