Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

In the OP there is no mentioning of the SC autosaver and the guy who made it put it on some forum where it has been removed since a few months. Anyone has it and is able to share?

Oh, when there will be another goon region I would like to be in. SC5 or whatever it was called was such a huge disappointment it made my teeth bleed.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Here is an interesting thing, but over the years I collected a massive amount of buildings from these kind of threads and from other sources. I would like to merge a couple of folders I have, such as /Plugins2010, /Plugins, /Plugins_new etc. There are bound to be a ton of duplicates in there and I would like to consolidate them.
As I care most about buildings, the game for me is to get the circumstances right to get an awesome mix of buildings in my line of sight. Grown buildings are the best, I kind of dislike ploppables cluttering up my menu's and all this digging lots and what not are horrible and useless.

So I was wondering, is there some sort of plugin manager, like a file explorer, that allows me to consolidate my plugins because it would be awesome to manage your plugins in a way that does not require 5 to 10 minutes of loading the application and then another 5 to load the map. Organizing by type, information about lot size, building preview, stats, etcetc.

Best would be if you could just dump all the files in a single folder and then sort it out with this tool.
Probably I would need a second thing to sort out duplicates but that is not the hard part. The hard part is what I would like to keep.

Did I mention I was send a couple of DVD's filled with lots after donating some money to some site?

---edit---
I forgot how much the SC4 group hates it's users. The most user friendly piece of software I encountered was the launcher above.
The rest of the developers just hate people.
For undoubling there seems to be this: http://doubles.sourceforge.net/
The rest is all manual it seems.

more edit: That doubles thing is awesome and it means I can lump together all my old folders, remove stuff I really do not like and have a shitload of great buildings! Yay!
btw, the pack I am using out of the OP could use some undoubling itself as there were some texture packs doubles.

even more edit: When gathering all plugins and packs that I collected over the years, I found the Killhour pack. The OP asked for it, it is 1.5 Gb and I will try and find a spot to place it so it can be linked.

even moree edit before bed: Now how about all that crap above did not work and I decided to use totalcommander to move allfiles that match the string *plop* to one folder called PLOPHELL and then use that same search function to copy all that matches *.sc4*, *.dat and *.sav to one single big rear end bulk folder, the dupes sort it out themselves, are we then in what circle of organisational are we? As said, it is time for bed, let's look at the results tomorrow. Hey, at least when I want to remove something I will not have to browse folders all day long.
HAHA! 16687 files, 7,03G! Live my creatioN!

Keetron fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 19, 2014

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Maltor posted:

...Are you still with us, Keetron? :ohdear:

Please let us know if your plugins folder has become sentient and is on its quest to destroy the universe!

I woke up in the morning and was pleased with the results. Expect your plugin folder to be assimilated soon.

Honestly, I playtested only a little bit on my desktop (it crashed three minutes in) and will move the files to my laptop and probably play a bit over the coming weeks, remove some more stuff that gets in the way and hope it is stable. It is actually a pretty neat collection buildings and mods if you like stuff like civics, transport and so on. I don't like digging lots and so on so will need to find those in the grand directory of everything but I think it will be better then going into the folder jungle that comes after using the installers.

The launcher is not working for me with regards to core use, affinity and autosave but I found the classic autosaver on my desktop as well. Unlimited storage (2x1 Tb spinning drive, 200Gb in SSDs) has it's perks.

machinegunmessiah posted:

First time playing Simcity 4 with any plugins except NAM. I downloaded OldFashioned and it's really great,
Is NAM also in OldFashioned, so can it be you accidentally loaded it twice? This might screw up some modifiers, like the distance sims are willing to walk.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Little update since addonmageddon. Looked at the many regions I have now and Fhuzo actually looked best.
After watching many LP's, thinking about city planning and considering the various options, the solution is simple. Everyone here is saying that cities grow organic and that makes sense. Few cities are planned to be a metropolis from the get-go and if it is done, it is mostly a failure.

So when you go back a few hundred years, a city grows around a few pretty standard things, mostly an old trade hub:
- a river mouth or a lock in a river
- a crossroads of main roads
- surrounding a high place where a castle was build or surrounding a holy place or a curch
- simply the most habitual spot in the middle of huuuge tracks of ... land.

When growing, it makes sense to have some sort of center of activities placed as mentioned above and then have some roads go outwards.
Another thing is that farming always starts at the easiest and most fertile land, nobody plows the mountains and hills first. Keep in mind that no economy is based on commercial services from the beginning, any society starts rural with small patches of residential seperated by farmland stretching outwards from the town.

For the sake of the simulation, you need to have some connection to the outside so you will have to draw a street across the map, avoiding bumps as that is what people who have to walk would do as well. When doing this, avoid long stretches of straight streets, just makes no sense. Make a settlement and build from there and fill up the flat area's first.

Anyway, filling up Fhuzo one tile at the time and will post some screenshots soon. Anyone has a nice "create region snapshot" tool or did I miss some sort of shortcut?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

ExtraNoise posted:

Speaking of Fhuzo, do we know which terrain mods it's using specifically? Or just whatever is in the Old Fashioned Pack?

The download I took had the "No dependencies" label, or do you mean mods for terrain manipulation?

Thanks, will look into it tonight or tomorrow as I feel some sick leave coming up...

Another question, but what is the general experience here with cloud-syncing a region folder?
The add-ons I will keep synchronized using an external drive, but saves would be nice to have a more frequent synchronization so I can switch desktop / laptop on the go.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Will look into the synchronization later, want to play now.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Getting it synched was a special challenge, but it was overcome in true sperg fashion: With a commandline!

Basically, check out this link:
http://www.dropboxwiki.com/tips-and-tricks/sync-other-folders

It details how to create a junction between two folders, so that one folder links to another. The actual files are now in c:\Users\Keetron\Dropbox\Fhuzo and I gave the following command:
code:
mklink /J "c:\Users\Keetron\Documents\Simcity 4\Regions\Fhuzo" "c:\Users\Keetron\Dropbox\Fhuzo"
Make sure the first folder does not exist.

Now when a city is (auto) saved, Dropbox will sync it and later when I turn on my laptop, that I gave the same command, it will be pulled in.

As said before, the addons will be manually synced with a 1Tb portable drive.

Edit:
Small update on the filled island:

More update, these are huge:

Keetron fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 1, 2014

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Just buck RHW and use the rest of NAM instead with the stock highways. RHW is a pain in the rear end and doesn't even look that much better and is generally not worth it.

Quoted because I agree with this.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Jugderdemidiin posted:

That airport took the better part of 8 hours and I still couldn't get all the farms to grow on the tile, even with my agricultural jobs booster that adds fake jobs to force growth.

I found that farms grow easier when there is a workforce to boost demand. So just build a bunch of houses in some corner of the map and demolish them once the farms have grown.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Jyrraeth posted:

What's the diagnosis for a widespread unemployment in a region? My RCI demands a lot of low-wealth residential, and not much commercial or industrial. Its hard to tell exactly which classes are needing jobs, but I know I need more.

In my ventures in agriculture vs R$ while building big farming communities, I found that the demand for the two is linked in some way.
- Build to many farms and not enough houses/trailers? New farms will not develop, I-A will drop sharply.
- Build to many houses and not enough farms? New houses will complain about a lack of jobs, work outside of the city if you have a neighbour connection and R$ will drop.

I also found that houses will grow and then population will vastly outnumber the number of available jobs, while boosting low-wealth demand. There is a tutorial on page 9 I think on how to create a big city with nothing but trailers and low wealth commercial without any of the pesky stuff like schools, water or other public services. Then you start making real big money as the poor can be taxed and only riot once in a while anyway.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

And this I call "Keeping up with the Joneses".
Of course, as in every neighborhood there are rebels.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Had a nice weekend, played a lot and build out my favorite town in Fhuzo quite a bit.
And then HT-I dropped in the negative. Would not go up and there was this one building in a new zone I just developed...

No idea where all these workers are. Does the building go 16 stories down? Are they telecommuting? Is it the invisible force of outsourcing?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Try raising the land value of that industrial zone, put down some parks and stuff. Even if RCI shows no demand sometimes it will jumpstart growth, attracting workers to the new plants which in turn drive demand for more HT. HT also seems to benefit from landmarks but I'm not sure exactly how.

The issue is not that the zone is not desirable enough, it is that some building popped up with 3500 jobs where most HT-I has only a few hundred per building.
One could argue it is a bunch of programmers, in a sister city of this one I have a building from Oracle which has room for 3500 workers and also in that town HT-I is negative now.

So what to do? Accept a high worker count for a single building and a smaller industrial zone due to it or demolish it for some sprawl? I think I will leave them, demand will pick up over time when more workers become available and I can build some office parks around it to make it seem like, well, an office park.

Also looked at my expenses, about half of it is the cost of maintaining the 1150 block of open grass. Is there a cheaper way to get the same effect on desirability?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

benzine posted:

If it really bothers you try using this: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23661-free-grass-park-mod/

And I dislike when the buildings have inflated jobs, blame a lazy batter.

Thank you for the link.

I read about a little program that can change any element of a mod such as cost or worker count. Not sure what the name is tho, anyone familiar with this? Or is this another dive into the insanity that is SC4 modding?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

bobthedinosaur posted:

Are there any mods which add things like traffic tickets for revenue?

There is little reason in the simulation to have it as there is no traffic behavior in play, only density and type. So what you are basically asking for is a source of income that is not related to the gameplay in which case: Moneytree!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

bobthedinosaur posted:

Yeah, but my realism! I want the tiny hick town in the middle of the map between the two major cities to make its' money from speedtrapping passerbys.

Then you are looking for something the simulation does not provide. You can use the cheats in the link I gave you and play pretend to yourself, nobody will judge you for that.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

City builder game, recently released, allows for mods, maintained by a one-person game studio.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608050
He has my 20 or dollar or whatever.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

There are so many regions for download it is not funny any more. One that this thread likes is the Fhuzo one in the OP, it is a zip that gives you all the parts directly in a region that has it all, mountains, water and plains. What is very entertaining is to see how the various players in this thread use the region so if you can add to that?

But yeah, you could download any of the 3198 vailable on simtropolis...
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/category/6-maps/

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Jugderdemidiin posted:

This is what I have been working on slowly over the last 2-3ish months afetr reading the SA thread. Population is 1.2m currently and will probably reach 3-4ish million once I am done. I only intend on building on the coastal areas and the lighter green highland that spreads behind it just south of the city, the rest of the region will be heavily forested. The unrendered tiles will probably just be deleted eventually as it is far too much effort to plant forests with decent density and the land is too rough to consider extending the city or farmland that far.

Higher quality Minus link here.
http://i5.minus.com/ic0Pl7TC9DYeI.png

Also has anyone ever tinkered with slope mods? I want to change the tolerance on heavy rail and the high speed rail mod to build much softer slopes than I can currently find with any other mod. I'm guessing I need to just open the slope mod file in Ilive's Reader and play around with values but would be grateful for any advice.

What is your region?

looking really nice, makes me look forward to the end result.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

One of the things I love most about this game is how goddamn spergy everyone becomes.

"GRRRR, need to have my textures aligned!"
"HRMMM, this railroad needs to have a different slope!"
"ARGH, the loving grass on this loving windwill is a different color then the surrounding grass! gently caress!"

It makes me feel so much less of a weirdo that all I want is pretty skyscrapers and reasonable performance.

Speaking of which, goddamn is the game slow now and then. I get the feeling it is the huge amount of mods I put in but when running on cheeta, the game randomly pauses for a few seconds and then continues. It does this a couple of times per ingame month, mostly when growing stuff like farms or new buildings.
Is there a way to speed this up, other then deleting mods because I loving love my mods and only plan to add.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

Which mod do I download to develop some taste :(

All these pictures are so very pretty and all I'm succeeding at is making a generic sprawling suburban hellscape that I kinda make up as I go along. Right now I just build a crossroad across the map and slap side streets and low-density zones onto it. I'd like to get a nice varied high-density region going but I don't even know where to begin on that. Do you start with a core town that grows into a metropolis and then build suburbs, or do you build some Elizabeth, NJ poo poo hole for all your industry and garbage needs then build an actually nice place for their betters to live in right next door?

Disregarding your comment about starting a region from scratch, let's assume you download some region from the stack such as Eaton or Saul St Marie.

The lovely part is to forest all tiles you want to use. The initial trees are free but are a pain to put in place. There must be a mod somewhere to do this faster but you will have to find that yourself because I am lazy.

Where would people settle first? At the foot of a mountain, the place where the river flows into the sea or in the middle of fertiel farmland? Build some small settlements there with a few small farming plots, they have to work all this by hand/horse you know. Do this across the region in a bunch of different cities.

Now, how would they connect if they connect at all? Put in some railways and allow these to follow logical lines, so as straight as possible unless there are mountains in the way in which case you seek as little elevation as possible.

Revisit all your towns after they are connected. With the industrial age there will be bigger farms, so start drawing bigger farms. Use the shift key to prevent a roadgrid. Draw the farms spreading outwards from the town, but following the roads you made to have some outside connections other then rail.

You will see residential and commercial and all other demand spiking across the region now.

Build out your towns using the small farming plots as you can imagine the municipality would buy up one farm at the time to turn into shops and houses. Also, the bigger and more flat land there is in a region, the cheaper the land to build on so build spacious. You can put in a few small plots of dirty and manufacturing industry somewhere outside of town. This makes more sense in a harbor town then somewhere in the middle of Bumfuck, Alabama.
There is still no need for silly stuff like water, healthcare or schooling.

By now you can have most of your map/region that you think makes sense covered by farms and some small industry. Pick the town that is most likely to grow into a city, often near water. Do the same as above but remember to build in layers instead of going straight for a high-rise town. You can of course, the big region you build up that will have about a 100k citizens and three times that in jobs (mostly agriculture), will cause a huge demand in everything so you can build what you like.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Jugderdemidiin posted:

I did actually get it sorted in the end! :D The files were perfectly labeled in Ilive's Reader and I was testing it ingame in about 2 mins.

The heavy rail looks much, much better than before IMO. HSR could still use a bit of tweaking though.
You can't go and post this without a link, because that is pretty as gently caress, now that I see this I can admit that the wobbly tracks always annoyed me but I would use the roads flattening trick to create a path. This however lead to a flatflatflatland-STEEPINCLINE-flatflatflatland mess.
Talking bout tracks, the NAM bends are pretty. Is the train slope mod compatible with NAM?

Jugderdemidiin posted:

There is a mod out there that helps but SC4D is broken atm so I will try to dig it up tomorrow evening. Also standard Maxis trees put a lot of strain on your PC for some reason while custom trees look much better and run totally fine. Definitely worth replacing if you still run them.
Isn't there a simtropolis link?

Talking about Simtropolis, I donated a shitload some time ago and got a bunch of DVD's. Would it be unethical to zip them up and then post them to the goon-torrent-swarm (or was that taken offline)?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Catts posted:

So are all the pretty roads and whatnot from the transportation mods (NAM, SAM, etc.) actually functional or just for aesthetics? Same for the ploppables (using the Old-Fashioned pack and some other stuff), I can't really tell if they're actually functional buildings or just for show.

They are functional and will gently caress up your demand if you are not careful :-)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

bobthedinosaur posted:

Yeah it makes the game more realistic. I have been trying to bankrupt a few towns so that I can get an army base, casino, toxic waste dump and missile testing site somewhere in my region- but I can't.

Just set low or no taxes so less money comes in while spending stays the same. Also fun to watch your demand soar and crash.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

There are plenty of mods available that will give you rural versions of the schoolhouses and so on.

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=490
As an example...

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Retail Slave posted:

Please help out a computer idiot.

I'm trying to re-download the terraformer listed in the OP. When I click on the .zip file downloaded from the link, it says "the compressed (zipped) folder blahblahblah is invalid." What do I do to fix it?

Download again or try an alternative to unzip such as 7zip.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/54082-simcity-4-launcher-updated-140b-r7/

Launcher that allows you to set settings at the same time, also has autosave.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Jugderdemidiin posted:

There are a few floating around, but this is by far the best one ever made by someone.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/19711-riverrock-shopping-centre/

Hell yes, no installers! Did they finally abandon that horror?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Rah! posted:

Thanks! And I don't know about uploading it...is there is anywhere I can upload 4.5 GB for free? If so, I'll do it.

Try Mega from that Kim Dotcom guy, I have actually seen it working as advertised.

Also I would like to see your folder and do a file compare to make the one I have now even bigger.

roadtop bus, tram and metro stops are a must for every city. It just never made sense to have a chunk of valuable inner city occupied by a bus stop.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Vorenus posted:

I played this about a year ago and it was quite fun. Came across this thread and the LP, reinstalled, and holy poo poo 10 minutes to load from launch to a city. I've done everything I can find on google, and nope. Then I installed Fromage's stuff and hooooly poo poo I need a NSA mainframe to run this.

You can create a .dat package to speed up the loading or only use NAM as addons and a few select ones you hand picked?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I noticed I bought Simcity 4 on Steam at some point and it works on my Mac, which is good because I'm going to be spending some time in the back of a car. How well does Simcity 4 run on a Macbook Air? I know it's a game from 2003 but you never know with Intel integrated graphics. Can I use the big old mod pack with the Mac version?

The more mods, the more CPU power you need especially in displaying whatever is on the screen and calculating pathing. If we assume that you have a power connection in the car, it should run fine if you keep the amount of mods down.

But seeing modding is part of the fun, just do whatever you like and don't zoom in/out to much.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HappyHelmet posted:

Taken after I linked up the roads:

Usually the towns where I put in power plants end up being the industrial centers because it makes sense to me to put the dirty industry next to the big polluting power plant. While the nearby towns remain largely agricultural to feed the industrial cities.

Now you made me want to visit a bakery.
For the power, I use windmills in small towns that over time expand to a few geothermal power plants. When my town really get big and needs a lot of power, I build some other mod that gives me pollution free energy. Thinking about it, I try to avoid pollution as much as possible, that must be my inner hippie.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HappyHelmet posted:

I try to imagine when I am doing all of this early stuff that it is still the turn of the century. Nobody really gives a poo poo about pollution and your only options for power are really Coal/Oil since Hydro isn't in the game. It really helps with making your communities look more realistic.

At that time, most farms did not need electricity to begin with. But I like the argument to get more low wealth to grow, now I often run into the problem that all kinds of high wealth pops up because life is to good and then there are not enough jobs for the rich fuckers and they leave again.
But also, with a few really dense project slums I can run into job problems so maybe look for a few ploppable high density manufacturing plants, like Foxconn factories or something.

I found some industry job doublers or even quadruplers, but I do not like those.

Some nice ones I found while browsing:
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29281-jacob-auto-parts/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/306-megaton-car-factory/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23767-bsp-detroit-elevator-company/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23526-industrial-complex-lots-i-d/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23504-industrial-manufacturers-small-lots-i-m/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23428-industrial-logistics-lots-i-ht/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23503-industrial-manufacturers-lots-i-m/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/20716-alka-inc-nw-pulp-mill/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/20784-mitchell-brinkman-cement-co/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/20485-naphtha-cracking-unit/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/15734-wally-ks-distribution-center/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/15015-hanson-hosiery-textile-mill/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/14999-tractor-supply-distribution-center/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/14942-hardun-industries-steel-mill/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/14941-hardun-industries-coal-mine/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/13926-flopper-stoppers-undergarment-factory/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/13212-prentiss-textile-mill/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11135-industrial-mixing-vats-by-somy/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/4219-bsc-helvetia-automation/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/3910-costco-distribution-center/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/3497-tank-5000/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/1812-brookline-paper-company/

Some other nice stuff I found while browsing (HTI):
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28181-lavaughn-biotech/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21844-ouellette-electronics/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/20933-gasol-pharma/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26240-software-studio/

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

zoning does autozone streets, this is a bad thing as it leads to ugly and sub optimal grids. Rather draw the streets yourself and fill it in with the desired type. hold shift (I think it was) to prevent streets and mess with alt and/or ctrl to get change alignment.
Not sure if there is a new megapack we all love.

For me, I am trying to consolidate everything I own and several megapacks I downloaded over time into one without duplicates and this is a challange. I basically dumped everything in one folder to get rid of file duplicates so it is one big soup without structure (NAM is kept away from this). I removed all files that had the word "ploppable" in the filename.
Now slowly I am removing brown boxes and I want to get rid of about half of my park options but I have no clue how. The brownboxes are challanging as sometimes I cannot find the lot that causes the brown box or I have trouble finding the model. If anyone knows of trick to resolve this, please let me know.

Finally, with a 7G plugin folder, load times are horrible and I wanted to put everything into a .dat set. This is not working satisfactory, the program crashes halfway. Making a whole series of 300Mb sized subfolders, but I must admit I feel like some sort of monkey now and then and this is a typical case of addon insanity, but I am still in denial it is that bad.

And this post was actually meant to give you guys some awesome screenshots of the region and my cities so that one is in the pipeline.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I made smallish subdirs with a few hundred Mb each. This was datpacked properly.
The load was superfast, as predicted but any city crashed on arrival. When reverting to the old way of doing it, load took ages but the city was stable. And of course you have a crash 40 minutes in after the autosaver is not turned on for some reason, my first crash on this region and addon pack.

The huge addon pack will not really run on my 4 year old laptop, will have to use OldFashioned for that I think, with some personal additions for garbage and power. And schools. But without farms, hot drat, do the farm modifications slow down EVERYTHING. I think it has to do with the huge area's that need to be drawn.

Best thing about SC4 is that you can put it away and come back later, I made the stupid mistake three weeks back to get a months worth of WoW. I enjoy playing because it tickles by brain in some way but when not playing I am a huge rear end in a top hat, for the first time since we are together (7 years) my girlfriend asked me not to play anymore, ever. Simcity is fine though :confuoot:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Every time I want to build a tranquil island I get carried away...

another one of the region

rightclick, view image for superbig

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Brotato Broth posted:

Make it denser. You know you want more Manhattan Islands in your region. :colbert:

here is some close ups of the bigger island. There is another huge island further north and while it is tempting to fill it up, for those larger islands it makes less sense. Not even Manhattan is high rises all over the place, check this out:

Kamrat posted:

Yeah, vanilla beaches look so out of place.

Are there any good alternatives?

Samopsa posted:

Here's a guide to create good beaches: http://www.simtropolis.com/omnibus/_/simcity-4/tutorials/how-to-make-eye-pleasing-realistic-beaches-r106

Basically you get some mods, and the most import one is beaches for irregular coasts: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/2045-fmbeachesforirregularcoasts/

Then you terraform the land a bit and plop the proper beach lots on top.

Gonna look into this, the bloody menu's are so loving cluttered already... What was the mod again to make your own?

And to add more content, I figured I could put in some screenshots of the bigger isle:

Finally a few of a more rural region:

Keetron fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 19, 2014

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The reason is a lot that grows that building on low density housing. I am not sure that area even has water.
It basically means I need to remove a mod so not, not intentional.

About duplicate growables, it adds something that a series of similar houses grows in the same street. I live on a street that has a series of 10 nearly identical 16 story buildings that were put here from 69 to 73, one after the other:

Anyway, I know my cities are not grand but I figured this thread could use some pictures.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Rah! posted:

:frogsiren:

Here's the original post, if you missed it, and want to see the rest of my dystopian megaslum.
So no education and health care will get you some great projects? No police station will cause some drugs and alcohol issues but at least they will not upgrade to medium wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Tindahbawx posted:

Feel like playing this again, but I'd be starting from scratch and frankly could not be bothered with going through all that dependency hell again to get the bits I want.

Grab the mega pack from the OP ?

• Locked thread