Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yup. Folder structure does not matter in the plugin folder, it just looks for the files in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

nielsm posted:

It does some kind of flood-fill if you click and hold, and don't move the mouse outside the square you clicked in. It's useful for filling in industrial and farm zones around diagonal roads, but otherwise not.

Holding Shift while zoning prevents automatic roads.
Holding Alt while zoning tries to match the lots to a different road (e.g. if you want your lots to point to the side street instead of the main street.)
Holding Ctrl while zoning makes a single huge lot, even if you have nothing that would ever fill it.

A question of my own:
I've been working on a region and am on an edge city right now. I (foolishly) built up a load of industrial and low density res/com before starting on the farmland I meant to have on the other half of the map. Now I have zero agricultural demand. Can I do anything besides bulldoze every building in the city?

(Also, Simtropolis seems down, overload from angry SC2013 buyers?)

Just build farms in the next region. You can 'fix' it by building 'cheat' buildings, search the mods sites for demand increasing buildings.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Well, Ag-I demand is really only available on undeveloped cities. No schools, hospitals, etc. So you pretty much have to raze the entire city to get farms back up. They also stop growing after a certain amount of citizens live in your town. Finally, they hate air pollution, but create absolutely insane amounts of water pollution. My advice remains the same: go build farms in the next region.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

bromplicated posted:

I have started playing this, and am wondering how do I satisfy/reduce demand for low income housing? I guess since I'm not very creative, I've just been building sprawling upper-class suburbs, but in all my regions all they want is cheap houses which always get supplanted by nicer houses. I've filled up 3 regions so far, and I'm wondering when do I start zoning more densely because I want to build big buildings.

Low income does not mean small buildings per se. Density of the zoning decides the size of the buildings allowed on those lots. If you have sufficient citizens, you can put a bunch of high density zoning somewhere and watch the giant towers grow. Iirc you need about 150000 residents to start getting the larger buildings.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Also: use software rendering mode if possible.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Also, get the auto-save mod.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Also, a list of basic tips (there's more in the thread, read it in its entirety):
-Get NAM.
-Build out, not up. Start with a giant field of low-density housing, and absolutely no services besides transportation. Don't listen to all the advisors yammering about no police, firemen, schools, hospitals or whatever.
-Start with 2 cities next to each other. Build residential in one town, connect the two towns by avenue, build commercial along the avenue, and build industrial in the next region. Also plop your power plant and garbage collection in that town, and export garbage/import energy for your residential town.
-Trains/busses are nice for low-income population.
-Don't be afraid to demolish roads and properties and lay down avenues for high-traffic points.
-Your region population determines what kind of buildings grow. When you reach certain tresholds you go to a new stage and new kinds of buildings show up.
-If you want to improve your living situation and get more wealthy sims, build services. Do them one at a time, and change the settings on the buildings (use the query tool on schools, hospitals etc) to improve them. Start with schools, hospitals and colleges. Don't build high schools.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Because they are pretty expensive, and using a college (infinite range) and some schools is enough to get I-HT which is the main reason to educate your sims. You can of course put down high schools, but they are not necessary.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

VDay posted:

Finally got some time to get back into this and got the old-fashioned pack from the OP rather than trying to figure out what the hell I had installed on my game before. Is there a building that helps with air pollution in one of the mods in the pack? I thought I saw something just going through random tabs but forget where it was now and whether it was for air or water.

Here. Water purification plants are built-in the game.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

IIRC it checks every few ingame days. With NAM installed it's every month to recalculate jobs. The big difference is that sims do have a permanent home, so commuting actually makes sense. The job is permanent until something changes, like a new job close by, a change in transportation networks, raising the IQ of the sim, etc.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

triplexpac posted:

So, I was wondering if someone could help me out with building a "not grid" city.

Basically what I've been doing is running a big avenue through the middle of my region, then doing diagonal roads off that. Off of those diagonal roads, I do some winding streets that I put low density residential zones.

This is working alright in making things not a rigid grid, but I'm basically just randomly drawing roads. I don't really have a plan, I'm not even sure what my plan should be.

Try to build the city organically, so start at a place a city would form, like a railroad/highway crossing, the mouth of a river, near a hillstream, something like that. Start small with a roughly circular center of town, then build outwards using the contours of natural features/large infrastructure as your guide. If parts of your town are gridlike it does not matter, as long as the overall shape is not a square!

Mixing zones helps a lot, city centers should have a mix of commercial and residential. Putting services in logical real world places instead of the optimal simcity placement also helps, like a large hospital on the border of a city center, and only small precincts in residential areas.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Read the OP, turn on software rendering and set the amount of cores to 1.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Here's a guide to create good beaches: http://www.simtropolis.com/omnibus/_/simcity-4/tutorials/how-to-make-eye-pleasing-realistic-beaches-r106

Basically you get some mods, and the most import one is beaches for irregular coasts: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/2045-fmbeachesforirregularcoasts/

Then you terraform the land a bit and plop the proper beach lots on top.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

It runs fine on modern systems though, dunno what GOG would do to improve that.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Maltor posted:

Very WIP region:

Center of region (there's a bit more to the region upriver)

Capital, New Amsterdam

I like to make really cramped, unplanned-looking cities, and then after they've all filled up and become a huge clusterfuck I like to try to impose urban planning on them, kind of like how it works in real life. Getting any kind of cohesive road system through this region was huge bitch, especially since I don't use diagonal bridges; I still tried to build them in places that would make more sense (shorter spans). Having to deal with all the islands and water is super fun, though.

Transportation Map

Early on New Amsterdam

Current

Holy poo poo, this is a stellar looking city/region, awesome job.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

Ugh, I know. I was in the middle of building the whole monorail system when I decided "hey I wonder if I could do a high detail mosaic of this entire sector of the map" and, well, got this. The system also isn't connected to the southeast tile, though it crosses the border into it.

Here's a handy application to automate stiching of images (meant for panoramic shots, but should work for screenshots as well): http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/brown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Neat stuff, unfortunately the free version can't do planar projections, just spherical, which would fish-eye the edges of the image. :(

I -think- this one can though, and it's freeware: http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

kinnas posted:

It has all been worth it. My screenshot painting game is perfect now. It almost looks like an oldschool isometric RPG and that's exactly how I want it.

That looks loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

You guys know ClickHole is a parody site networked with the Onion right?

• Locked thread