Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
I repeatedly go through the phase of "I must have a realistic looking terrain for my region" only to sour on the whole idea after an hour or two. It's decent for aesthetics and all, but the way SC4 handles diagonal roads and ploppables makes the process of actually building a city tedious at best. I can't count the number of photorealistic regions I've abandoned after spending minutes checkering an area with roads just to have the railroad track stop interfering with placing civic buildings where I need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
That looks really nice.

benzine posted:

Suburbia.

And the start of the farms.

How did you get these to work? I can never have large swaths of residential areas without them getting abandoned completely from commute distance being "too long."

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

NAM is not optional to play this game.

I do have NAM installed and I still need to be careful about my residential zone layouts. I'll have to recheck my install.

benzine posted:

NAM mostly. But honestly that city is not big so there is not a big problem.

Are those all 2x1 zones? Whenever I try to create a "rural" town with anything larger it invariably turns into some weird ultra-rich not-plantation countryside. :v:

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

My cities ended up looking a lot more realistic and having a lot more character by following these rules. The only thing I ever really had problems with were highways, because they require some actual planning to use and I never had a good sense of where they needed to go. I ended up leaving corridors of green space around my major avenues in case I ever decided to put in highways, which also kinda helped the look...assuming you want your city to look like Atlanta.

I usually zone for 18k-24k ish population right off the bat, which ends up taking up almost all of the starting cash reserves and makes the city look like a quilt of uncontrolled suburban explosion. :911:
But it cuts down a lot on the re-zoning later (gently caress zone view, it'd be nice if it distinguished between blank terrain and ploppables) and lets you do the "real" suburban thing on the outskirts of the city.

Also it makes it considerably easier to place highways because the city gets planned around avenues from the beginning. It's very nice to be able to just draw highways as needed without worrying about funneling traffic into a wrong stretch of road or something.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Jugderdemidiin posted:

Getting close to finishing the region I started a few months ago. One more city tile, a couple farm tiles and a crap load of large tiles filled with dense forest (planting the forests is going to take a bloody like time :/)

Better quality image here

All going well it will be the first region I've ever completed in the 10-11 years I've been playing this game. There are also a ton of things I would change next time I try something like this as I'm not particularly happy with the layout. Also while the city doesn't look too bad in the region view, it does get very griddy and kind of ugly when you are actually playing a city.

Huh, griddy or otherwise it looks decently realistic from the regional view. I never thought of delegating entire subsections of the region to each letters of RCI, maybe it's something I should try for my next region.

Could you post a traffic map by any chance?

HappyHelmet posted:

I say this everytime I start getting back into this game, but seriously gently caress the modding community for this game. Not only are they overly obsessed about all the dependency crap, but they are total a-holes about it too.

My only advice is to use one of the megapacks (goon-made or otherwise) and bypass that insular and toxic community entirely.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
Woo, regioin postin' time.

pictured: terrifyingly immature city names

Here's the one I'm working on right now. In hindsight I should've varied up the terrain a bit more, but it's such a pain in the rear end trying to build anything at all on slopes without adjacent buildings and pipelines demolishing themselves mysteriously. Also there's too many farms.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Well, uh. That's something. I'll have to try this as soon as I get home.

Keetron posted:

Every time I want to build a tranquil island I get carried away...

Make it denser. You know you want more Manhattan Islands in your region. :colbert:

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

bobthedinosaur posted:

I built a hugeass region with nothing but the 4x4 tiles. After filling in the terrain to my liking I find that building the cities is challenging because I'll go from an obvious metropolitan center of 200k sims to some rural farming town with maybe 1k sims. Now I think I get why the map mixes up the city sizes.

Yeah, it's pretty difficult to make rural towns look just right without trying to fill every square inch of it with farms. I think I'll actually try a bunch of medium-sized maps for my next region. As much as I love seeing a huge segment of the region with just one tile loaded up, the performance and load/save times does become an issue. And I want to see if I can try building up a giant region-wide city by "blending" a bunch of smaller tiles.

Speaking of building up a region-wide suburban monstrosity, I decided to spruce up my region over the weekend.

This is probably the densest city I've built in quite some time. I almost always prefer building loose suburbs because why wouldn't you? :911:

Turns out it's pretty difficult trying to eyeball the bigger picture while preoccupied with mass transit routing.

First try at setting up elevated rails: Somewhat successful. Most of that red and blue is woefully underused, but I can't complain. A good portion of the population either gently caress off to the adjacent city or are high-wealth assholes and wouldn't use any of it to begin with.

Also guess where I decided to finally give up on hand-drawing streets and just let the zoning tool do the work for me. :shepface:

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Tindahbawx posted:

Also I'd forgotten just how outright frustrating RHW on-ramps and their associated puzzle pieces could be to use at times.

Pretty much every non-standard non-draggable pieces are frustrating to use, but RWH really takes the cake. Every time I get the "realism" fever and try to mold it to the terrain, I end up giving up and using the default highways instead. It's just not worth it.

As for the pump issue - what kind of pump was it? Sometimes you have to demolish the pipes connecting to it and rebuild it by dragging from the pump connector and into the actual pipe network itself.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
Leaving empty spaces where they belong (low-density areas, between different types of zones, et al) really helps with making it look less like graph paper and more like an actual city as well.

Honestly, just ripping the look from your own town's satellite imagery does wonders too. :v:

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
An exercise in futility replicating real-life grids.

Unsatisfactory attempt at townhouses.

I just need to find a decent :911:-looking mall ploppable that isn't completely mired in dependency hell.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Tai posted:

Do you have my mod pack? There's a range of malls in there in various sizes.

Nope, but I'll keep that in my mind for my next region.

Or I could start anew, since I've only finished one city in this region. :v:

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Thanks, I extracted the easiest ones for now. I'll sort out the ones with dependencies later (gotta figure out which ones I do and don't have).

Meanwhile, a leeeetle bit of expansion.

Old and busted.

New hotness.

I always tend to add the highway/rail system too late into the development. It never ends well for the avenues involved.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Tai posted:

You like car parks.

I'm just trying to mimic real life. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
Budget balancing can be fun imo, if you're trying to do the [small farm town] -> [gigantic metropolis] thing, and marvel at your progress along the way. It's just that upgrading existing roads is so incredibly finicky (why can't I just drag an avenue through diagonal roads??) for it to be enjoyable at all.

Speaking of finicky transit pieces, which of the NAM light rail mods are least painful to use? I absolutely hate how I can drag el-rail over roads but have to use puzzle pieces for every intersection that crosses the goddamn road. I tried trams briefly in a small city, but pedestrians didn't seem to be too hot on getting to the station on foot unless it was right next to a road.

• Locked thread