Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Bouchacha posted:

Coming back to this after years of separation. Can you build a car-free city with the right mods?

You don't technically even need NAM, but the pedestrian tiles are very useful.
What makes it a lot easier is downloading a mod that makes a road buses only or pedestrians only (there's an ugly roadblock, or the more flattering painted street option). Put those down at choke points to prevent sims from driving on your pristine roads. Sims will be forced to walk miles if they want their precious jobs or food. You can sort of make out how it can look in this screenshot:

In vanilla, it's also possible to do this by arranging a 3x3 street with a subway in the middle. Have all residential zones facing the street and connect your subway system up with the outside world. You can pattern these arrangements since they're just plus signs to get super dense residential districts because you've removed most roads. Generally, there's a lot of combinations and options, including small strips of road that hook up only to pedestrian walkways.

It's also possibly to create a communist utopia where only government jobs exist! In vanilla, you plop down colleges in long stretches of road, much like eastern bloc prefabs! Then you set their funding to zero or near zero so you can afford them. You can also do this with many other services as well. Pretty soon, the number of teachers will outnumber your students many times over, ensuring the best education in the glorious state. You're pretty much paying people to protest, but I like to think of it as a field trip with signs! And if you manage finances carefully, you can have a car-free, communist utopia in which no one can escape. If you need extra cash, just set up a rich area and place tolls on the exits, which only lead to trains or other walking areas.

Haven't tried it yet, but one day I want to figure out how to financially squeak by with tolls and mass transit while having giant prison walls closing off residential areas with extremely high security and police everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Psh, I've seen way worse designs in real life. If anything that parking lot isn't big enough for that much mall. So yeah, mimics real life. :golfclap:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
A new Cities game to meet the expanding waistlines of tomorrow!
https://www.facebook.com/citiesxl/photos/a.443000032579.245539.14668807579/10153050020132580/?type=1&permPage=1
Cities XXL!

Cities were already big in Cities XL, I can't imagine making them bigger is going to improve the gameplay or UI no matter how smoothly it runs.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

I'm guessing SC4 is just too difficult to reverse engineer else I'd have expected the community to already do it.

Either that or Simtropolis is afraid of burning bridges with Maxis maybe, since SC4D still sells. I bet there was a huge upswing in sales following SC2013.

They've tried to make their own game since societies that is usually just 3D SC4, but then they sperg out and want to add tons of extra things. So it's less "here's SC4 in 3D and a better set up" and more "you don't understand, we NEED mixed use industrial/residential zoning, because MY city has 10 buildings set up this way and it adds so much to the game!" Then they devolve into bickering and/or intense discussion. There's been tons of no-start "I have an idea!" threads. I can't find their major project, but here's one thread as an example:
http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/16662-simtropolis-1000/
The final few posts in 2010 have betas and screenshots that likely are now abandoned projects.

The CityBound guy has done more in the short time his project has been around than all of the simtropolis projects. In fact, I'm not even sure a single one has had traffic simulation in it. I think the farthest any of them got was roads and few placeholder buildings. I haven't kept up with any of that though, so maybe they did get further along. I just know it didn't go anywhere.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

What's up with the prohibition on collections of mods/packs on places like Simtropolis, and the ridiculous dependence hell it causes? Is it a modder ego issue?

Yes.
That and way back when sc4 was new still, internet speeds were slower. So there was this idea to not have super large files to download. ...but that's more of a relic. 99% of it is modders rights, copyrights, and other ego-centric things. What's really bizarre is that unlike minecraft there's no adfly monies being made. So there truly is no point to this madness other than man-children egos.

I specifically just search for things like "no dependencies" or "dependencies none" on there just to avoid all the headaches... And somehow something I got managed to eliminate all industrial demand. I don't want to play SC4 for a while. :smith:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Everyday Lurker posted:

I get the feeling that Maxis, et al. are only interested in making a game that's the city-building analogue to Farmville - something that appeals to the casual Facebook gamers of the world while being tied into bigger, more well-known AAA titles - hence Simcity 5 and hence the agents. I don't even know if we're ever gonna get something on SC4's level.

I don't know what you're talking about, sending in Mimes to increase happy points was a good mechanic. And who doesn't love whimsy in their cities with candy cane street lights next to their fairy tale castle homes?

Still waiting for my Sim City Societies sequel, EA.

(I did find the Orwellian, cyberpunk and industrialist themes kinda cool though, for ten minutes.)

Edit: I just decided to give a dip into the dependency hell of simtrop. First one to try? Adfly link. :suicide:

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Or we can bulldoze entire sections of old musty falling apart junk from before grandpa and build luscious clean towers of gleaming might and power!
Bulldoze the relics, usher in a gleaming new age! :black101:

• Locked thread