Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

*PUNCH* posted:

For the record, I'm working on Old Fashioned 3.0. It will include the HT-I fix along with the new stable NAM and a few buildings. But mostly I'm trying to organize the file system so that it's comprehensible.

Oh dang, I already cut apart and recombined the OFP to work better with SC4DatPacker as well as my habit of going on LEX/STEX downloading streaks. I wasn't paying attention before I tore it apart and merged it with my own collection, do you pack a Cleanitol file in there? Then I could just easily search for dupes when you're all done with 3.0 before repacking it.

And actually, is there a generic file utility out there I can use to search blah:\duhh\fart\Documents\Sim City 4\Plugins for duplicates? Like, something that'll compare all the hashes and at least handle identical files, if not data that's included in two .dats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

If you don't spent days at a time modding SC4 then deleting the folder and starting over, you're not playing SC4 correctly.

Right? Every time I dust off SC4, I spend about a day or two's worth of gaming time just poring over dependencies, installing each one with its own InstallShield Manager, moving it to the folder I'd rather it be in, debugging, datpacking, etc

I'd really like to see some modernized versions of old lots with the dependencies built in- or some megapackages that contain hundreds of MB worth of content now that we (in America) have joined the rest of the world in the era where less than 1MB/s down is slow.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

It's clearly a secret entrance to the government base where they grow weiners on sexy ladies

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

My roommate's getting into SC4, we're playing on the same computer/region and I'm mostly handling interregional transport, but I don't think she has a handle on RHW yet. Considering using the Maxis Highways instead, but I don't think I've touched them since I started using NAM/RHW- does NAM rebalance Maxis highways, and are there cool things I can do with them using mods?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

HappyHelmet posted:

Figured I'd give you guys an update on my region. I've mostly been updating the West side of the map so I'll start with a progression of that:

This is neat; something I really liked about SC4, that seems lacking in SC5 or any of the earlier ones, is the ability to build these huge sprawling rural/suburban areas. I grew up in eastern Kansas, and the other SC games make it really difficult to model the kind of cities I'm used to. I built the town I live in now, a sprawling college town of ~100,000 people isolated from other major towns by about twenty miles of farmland, on one and half huge SC4 plots, and it hummed right along (at ~250,000 pop, but who's counting?)

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 4, 2014

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Tai posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0QVgeytQAimX2E5eEVsX25tZlk/edit?usp=sharing

Think thats a link to my plugin zip. Shows up for me anyway.

Sweet, thanks, gonna give this a try.

Tried to merge the other two packs, removing duplicates and DATpacking everything but (a fresh newly-downloaded) NAM- constant crashola.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

All I want is a nice big map like Fhuzo, but where the 'flat' terrain where people are most likely to build cities is actually flat instead of covered in little hillocks and gradient changes and stuff. I still want mountains and rivers and all that poo poo. I could do it myself sure, but :effort:

Yeah I mostly agree- I like little features here and there, and Fhuzo is pretty low-key about them- there are some maps that look like wonderful scapes of plains and rivers, but on close zoom it's all bumpy with nary a flat tile.

I don't even play with seawall/port stuff right now because 1) it's super fiddly, and 2) I've spent like 99% of my life about as far from the ocean as possible and making a rad and massive port that isn't a little river marina doesn't do it for me

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Nition posted:

Lol, the grid extends farther than the city!

It's like that in KCK, the downtown grid of 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc streets continues southward from the river. I grew up about twenty miles and four or five towns south of KC, major 4/5 lane roads were 119th, 135th, 151st, and it goes out into the southern boonies to the mid-200s. Pretty normal around here to have giant grids at the very least laid down in dirt or gravel way outside of city limits. So we end up with lots of huge low-density commerical/residental grids with twisty suburbs like creamy centers, glommed onto old pre-automobile mid-density 19th-century downtown grids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I wish RHW weren't so fiddly; I mean, the newest version at least adds the city connection link tiles so you don't have to look up what voodoo you used to have to do to get that to work.

I really like the look of it when it works, though; two RHW-4 lanes spaced a tile or two apart remind me of the highways near where I live:

• Locked thread