Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I decided to try exactly replicating a real town in SimCity, mainly to see how well SimCity would actually work with a real place. I've seen a few people do real cities, but always at reduced scale.

A while ago I started trying to do the city I lived in, but it was just going to take forever and I'm not that persistent. I needed a small town and I chose Morrinsville, population 7,500:

Surprisingly enough I found a free download on the council's site for the actual zoning map:

Green = residential, pink = Commercial, yellow = industrial.

Then I grabbed the street map from Google Maps, rotated it to be straight, and put a grid over it in Photoshop at the right scale. I didn't put in the exact real terrain with the proper rivers etc, but I did to everything to exactly match the real-life positions. All schools, parks etc are in the right places.

So here's the finished town (best viewed at full size):

Traffic:

Pollution:

I works surprisingly well. I actually make a couple of grand a month from it and everyone's pretty happy. I did have to use a couple of mods:
- I'm using NAM on Low settings. Anything higher seems like cheating to me. But the main thing is that I needed to increase the commute times because the default max commute time in SimCity 4 is six minutes. With that setting, people in this small town think it's too far to commute half-way across town.
- I got another mod, cant remember what it's called exactly, but it just doubles the radius of effect for service buildings. Doesn't increase capacity so it's not really a cheat. But again, the default effect radius in SimCity is tiny. Even now, the hospital on the outskirts of town doesn't cover the whole town, and this is a place that takes under 5 minutes to drive right through in real life.

Some observations:
- Traffic is distributed roughly how it is in real life (the might be due to my choice of avenues and roads for the main roads though, and streets for the rest. People might be prioritising the high-capacity roads.
- The western side of the city is generally higher wealth than the west, again much like in real life, mostly because of its proximity to industry. In SimCity the industry is way denser and more polluting than it is in real life though.
- There's no power station in Morrinsville so I hid one at the edge of the map.
- Population is 20,000 whereas in real life it's 7,500. Not sure how that happened as the housing isn't much denser than real life
- There are actually some gaps where houses should be because the one thing SimCity couldn't handle at all is the amount of housing where it's a house behind another house, with a long driveway to the second one. Luckily I could mostly work around that. I know some of the low-wealth housing in SimCity is two houses behind each other, but those have a tiny plot of land each. I need to be able to place like four or five block deep residential.
- Demand is pretty good. R, C and I are all in positive demand with normal tax rates
- SimCity is convinced that this town is big enough to have a university

So basically, it worked well, but it also highlighted how small SimCity's city areas really are - I needed to use the biggest map size to fit it all in. Although, there's still a lot of free space on the map here. Probably about 2/3 of it would fit on a medium-size map.

Nition fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

benzine posted:

* Finally, the auto-roads always split the zones into strips/blocks. Do I ever miss out on any buildings, like large skyscrapers, because of this?
Yes, the biggest SC4 vanilla buildings are 4x4 and 4x5, you can zone to that size using CTRL while you zone.

Holding Shift also removes auto-streets. It's a bit different to Ctrl. Best way to see what they do is probably just to try them.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

piratepilates posted:

I never noticed how well trees can fill out a space and make it look nice. Is there a nicer way to fill large areas with trees than just using the landscape tool and dragging though? I wanna carpet bomb my suburbs with trees so it doesn't look so empty.

Ctrl-alt-shift clicking the God Mode button will give you back the pre-city tools, where you have the much more powerful tree placing tool. It's sort of cheaty, if you care about that, because the trees are free. But you can always pretend that you never cut down the trees in the first place.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Taeke posted:

Anyone have a link to a mod that extends the area of influence of my services? I'd like to be able to have one elementary school suffice when I have a spread out village/city.

Radius Doubler: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/13696-radius-doubler-mod

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
You mean mega.co.nz. Mega.co isn't a file host.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Tai posted:

Yeah steam mods go into a different location

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\simcity 4 deluxe\Plugins\

Tai on the CD/DVD version posted:

Ok plugins go in C:\Users\XXXXXX\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\

Just for the record, the Steam version will detect plugins in that Documents folder as well. Just need to run the game once to make it appear after installing.

I think all versions actually have two places you can put plugins: In the game's install folder or in that Documents folder.

Nition fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 8, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Very nice cities.

Also, those screenshots where you've bumped up the colour saturation look quite nice. I wouldn't go quite that far personally - maybe about half-way between those and the default - but I wonder if it'd be possible to make like a post-processing colour saturation mod for use in-game.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I hate all the extra menu clutter enough that I even uncheck about half the stuff in the NAM. I don't need third-level road overpasses.

Also, I was just reading some old posts in this thread and someone lamented that they'd been playing SimCity 4 for a decade and just wished they could turn off those annoying adviser popups. For anyone else that's sick of them and hasn't found it: In the play options there's an Urgent Advice Dialogs checkbox.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Nah, those are really good questions.

Re zone sizes: From my experience it seems like if you have e.g. two 2x1 lots next to each other, the game can build either two 2x1 lots or one 2x2 lot on it, whereas if you have one 2x2 lot it will only build a 2x2 lot (if it can - sometimes it means the lot doesn't get filled right away). But someone else should confirm whether that's actually correct. You can hold various combinations of Ctrl, Alt and Shift to get all sorts of different angles and configurations.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Glorgnole posted:

I'm pretty sure this is how it works. The game won't chunk out big residential and commercial zones to put in smaller buildings, so if you only want to develop those huge 6x6 hi-rises you can make a single 6x6 zone and nothing else will go there, for better or for worse.

Industrial zones work completely differently and spread out from an initial building touching a road. If you make it so that only one building in the zone is next to a road you can control what kind of development will go in and make exclusive hi-tech industrial parks and similar.

Cool. Although the tallest buildings are actually 4x4.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Man, that sounds like pretty much exactly what I want in terms of mods as well. Thanks!

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Iunnrais posted:

I'm getting frustrating trying to find a region I'd like to use. I'm not interested in wall-to-wall large maps as appear exclusively on the various fan sites, I'd like to be able to pull open a small or medium map too, especially for the sake of my poor CPU. Maybe help crash less. Anyone have any good regions? Preferably with a nice mix of water/flat land/mountains.

I have one that fits that description. It's based on a Wellington, NZ region map that I downloaded, but I cropped it smaller because it was enormous, and changed it from being all large maps to being a mix, trying to put the divisions in good places. It is still mostly large maps in the better building locations though.

Download here.

Unfortunately I didn't save the original version of the region without any cities on it. I've removed my cities in the download above, but there are some slight differences in the land left over from city stuff. Having said that, the original region data has the reclaimed land that the real city has already in it as well, and it's quite good because it provides a bit of flat land to build on.

Nition fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 18, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Unfortunately SimCity 4 is still missing the mod it seems to need most: One that automatically adjusts the budget sliders to just exceed current demand.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Bel Monte posted:

They've tried to make their own game since societies that is usually just 3D SC4, but then they sperg out and want to add tons of extra things. So it's less "here's SC4 in 3D and a better set up" and more "you don't understand, we NEED mixed use industrial/residential zoning, because MY city has 10 buildings set up this way and it adds so much to the game!" Then they devolve into bickering and/or intense discussion. There's been tons of no-start "I have an idea!" threads. I can't find their major project, but here's one thread as an example:
http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/16662-simtropolis-1000/
The final few posts in 2010 have betas and screenshots that likely are now abandoned projects.

The CityBound guy has done more in the short time his project has been around than all of the simtropolis projects. In fact, I'm not even sure a single one has had traffic simulation in it. I think the farthest any of them got was roads and few placeholder buildings. I haven't kept up with any of that though, so maybe they did get further along. I just know it didn't go anywhere.

I love how the second reply is like, "Wow, what an interesting and daring project.:swoon:" Anyone can propose the perfect game!

I also like how the OP details all the work that everyone will be doing, but has no experience themselves at any of it.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Does anyone here actually use Rush Hour's silly U-Drive-It feature?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
People could upload their regions as actual region files instead of greyscale maps etc. That way they could also provide all the trees etc with the file. But it would make the file size like 50x larger and we've heard what the SC4 community thinks about large files.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Curvature of Earth posted:

For the record, while I like the look of it, Shibuya Station is bizarre:

I don't care if it's based on a real station, four rail lines on one side (how do you even fit four el-train lines in a city dense enough to need four of them?) plus two lines and a weird perpendicular one coming out the other end is silly and hard to work with.

In real life it's super multi-level:

The "weird perpendicular one" is the top one.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Curvature of Earth posted:

Pick "Ultra" settings for the traffic simulator, which are generous enough that you shouldn't have to worry about saturating your roads or rail.

Pick "Ultra" if you're a dirty cheater. Pick Medium or Low if you want a realistic traffic simulation. :colbert:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Fair point. I guess when I said "realistic" I meant "doesn't feel like cheating", considering the super-duper-low "Classic" defaults.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

ExtraNoise posted:

We would have had kind of a lovely 3D SimCity 3000 in the year 1998 that may or may not have killed Maxis through lack of sales.

I remember the screenshots in PC Gamer.

:allears:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Oh man, the Steam reviews are so overwhelmingly negative! http://store.steampowered.com/app/313010

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
More filled in:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
It seems like there are lots of nice mods for European or Japanese housing. This isn't super important to me or anything but has anyone seen something with the sort of typically wooden housing we have around here?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

That's really interesting. And if I'm reading it right, it also implies that modded buildings with tons of polygons should still affect performance when they're first rendered, before the render gets cached.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Lol, the grid extends farther than the city!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I'm not used to that at all because there's very little flat land like that here. As a result our road layouts are basically an abomination.

That particularly insane bit in the middle left even has a tunnel.

• Locked thread