Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Installing SC4 again next week and totally forgotten everything so going to ask a few dumb questions.

As the OP is relatively old, are there any big mod packs out there with all the good poo poo bundled in? NAM, opera house, buttloads if cool buildings and game tweaks (for the better). I can't remember what my huge mod folder had in it appart from NAM, opera and HT jobs.

Zoning, if I'm not mistaken, didn't it auto zone streets? Was this good or bad. I've forgotten. I remember vaguely it didn't allow me to make areas as dense as I wanted it to be due to streets. Wasn't it worth zoning over the streets with roads due to congestion not long after they zoned?

I've forgotten so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I downloaded the jan 2014 network addon from their site but it doesn't seem to be an .exe file. Every time I try to open it, it asks what progy to open with. Not had much joy as i'm dumb. Any ideas? Using Win 8 if it matters.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Tai posted:

I downloaded the jan 2014 network addon from their site but it doesn't seem to be an .exe file. Every time I try to open it, it asks what progy to open with. Not had much joy as i'm dumb. Any ideas? Using Win 8 if it matters.

Still unable to get it working and google hadn't been much help.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
OK i got the network addon via oldfashioned 3. Any ideas why it crashes the game (not NAM)? I removed the terrain mods section as someone mentioned it was iffy with new cards/hardware mode.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
4 gb patch? What the christ, I dont remember patching that much in previous installs.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Thanks, it was the single core thing. Completely forgot about it. My mod folder is approaching 3 GB and not patched to the 4GB memory thing yet.

Any recommendation of decent terrain/scenic packs? Looking to make a hilly region into a national pack with decent trails, picnic benches, some nice rivers and maybe some larger ploppables that would fit in the general theme of a national park.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Its nice some of the modders now wrap up all there stuff thats needed into one file but you'd think by now someone would of done a super file of every dependancy for the popular stuff...

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Christmas Present posted:

This is neat; something I really liked about SC4, that seems lacking in SC5 or any of the earlier ones, is the ability to build these huge sprawling rural/suburban areas. I grew up in eastern Kansas, and the other SC games make it really difficult to model the kind of cities I'm used to. I built the town I live in now, a sprawling college town of ~100,000 people isolated from other major towns by about twenty miles of farmland, on one and half huge SC4 plots, and it hummed right along (at ~250,000 pop, but who's counting?)

Thats because SC5 is a steaming pile of poo poo and EA just tried to revive another cash cow and failed. SC4 costs 1 buck less then 5 and it only came out last year. Never know, they might try make an effort if they do a 6.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Talking of NAM,can someone zip up the files for the recent one? I just want to be able to drag it into my plugins without using .exe installer. Not sure if it adds files elsewhere or not. It won't patch my game via the installer due :cough: to a modified sc4.exe not syncing despite it being the correct version.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Tindahbawx posted:

One more question, anyone know of any guides or similar that give tips on how you can break up the grid structure of the game, so everything doesn't look like it was drawn on graph paper? I'm plopping down the plots individually be sure to get different sized buildings, but I feel there's more I could be doing.

I just use the curve pieces and try to avoid making a box or rectangle for zoned areas. Also, not letting the game auto fill streets works a lot to break up the graph paper looking map. Ultimately its using the nice curves from NAM that will do the job and taking it further in the zoned areas with nice things like roundabouts or tiny parks at inter sections and all the while, the linking roads between towns/villages/cities aren't just dragging a road straight to the next place. Go around a hill, maybe add a small gas station with a dinner and a few ploppable houses next to it and a 2x1 or 1x1 car park. The agriculture mod from...someone is great. Lets you add farm related stuff like metal tanks, barns, farm houses etc (ploppable). I made a small national park in between two major towns on one of those monster region tiles. Grabbed a few trail park mods, snow capped mountains and made myself a oak forest with winding trails, a water park, car park, snack bars at various places along with random park pieces that fit well in there. All the Oak trees were seasonal too so they changed colour throughout the year.

Probably should of been some paragraphs in there...

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Kamrat posted:

Seems like the developers of Cities in Motion is working on a City Builder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxfeBpagvQw

Feature list from the website:

City policies: Set policies to guide how the city and districts develop over the course of your playthrough.
City districts: Personalize city districts with names of your choice for variety and personality.
Road building and zoning
Unlock buildings and services
Taxation: Fine-tuning the city budget and services and setting tax rates to different residential, commercial and industrial levels and controlling what kind of areas are more likely to spawn in the zoned areas
Public transportation: Build transport networks throughout the city with buses and metros
Outside connections: Make industry and commercial districts flourish with new customers in the neighboring cities
Wonders: the ultimate end-game content that the players strive towards
Huge maps: Unlock new map tiles with unique possibilities to expand the city
Water flow simulation: Add new challenges to water services.
Polished visual style and core gameplay
Modding tools: Built in feature designed to encourage creative pursuits.

Seems interesting and I love the fact that one of the popup-texts during the video is "Offline play"

Seems very...plastic. Despite being 10 years? old, I still prefer the sim city 4 (mod) look. If they could ever get building on curves...

Tai fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 16, 2014

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
It's scary to think how popular an offline game is 10 years later and the scary amount of modding that is still going on...

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Plopabble commercial and residential are by far the best for realism. Grab the ones that also grow too and make sure not (or don't use) to get the historic ones are these are just land marks. You can have a lot of fun making really cool small town centres or even tiny villages with ploppables.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I've not noticed that actually. Maybe it was a NAM thing?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Regarding mods, I noticed my plugin folder has broke 3 GB. Anyway to squish into one big DAT file i've seen mentioned in places? If so, how does it work?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Random filler things I add between cities.

This one is sort of like those American red neck towns of 40 people that are supported by people passing through stopping at the gas station and/or dinner. Added some low wealth plopabbles houses. Im not fully happy with the chopped down logs to the right. I was trying to get the development of more houses feel. Its on a mostly farm land tile with a small town in the northern part of it.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Taeke posted:

Which reminds me of how much I hate those jagged edges on diagonal roads when there's something build on the other side. I wish they'd only appear on one side, or not at all when they're connected to a farm.

Same so I decided to search for something.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29797-mgb-diagonal-filler-set/

Not tried it out yet but looks perfect assuming the colours match.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
This just makes you cry http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?page=4

A full list of virtually every dependency you will need but doesn't offer it as a pig bundle due to all that copyright shite.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Thread a bit quiet so thought I would share my work in progress gated community for rich folk

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Downtown slowly starting to go big.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Keetron posted:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/this-107-million-person-simcity-region-is-a-portrait-of-our-megacity-future

107 million sims region, 9 by 9 large cities. Pretty weird and neat and I wonder how fast or slow the recalculation of his traffic is.

Ah, using no mods, now that is a feat!

Sod that

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I love the Fhuzo map but it crashes on me after a few minutes. Im guessing its to do with the terrain mod needed and the fact I have to run the game in software mode.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'm being very lazy but got a link to helmets map(s)?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Is there anywhere decent to upload my plugins to (not torrent)? Its over 3 GB, contains the old fashioned along with latest NAM and a butt gently caress tonne of other stuff. There is the odd duplicate and the very very very occasionally missed dependency is all.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'll set it uploading once I go to sleep (and remember). Its not in a compressed DAT file. I'll be working on that at some point but it needs a lot of moving poo poo around.

Some of the stuff added:

Lots of plopabbles. From sky scrapers to shopping malls to low rise shops to new york style suburban garden houses.
Loads of park and mountain modular trails.
Huge logging camp modular set with freight stations, pubs, accommodation, warehouses etc
Modular shopping malls
Tonnes of monorail, freight, passenger and subway stations.

ON STREET BUS STATIONS

More police, fire, hospital and education stuff with various influence sizes including ones that cover the biggest tiles.
Loads of parks/tree's including the cash park. I admit, I use it as I'd rather build a realistic region rather then balance budget.
The SPAM farm mod. It's a big overhaul of the default one and zones it a lot better as well as adding ploppables.
A tonne of growable CS/CO/RS/IM/ID/HT
More parking ploppables. Use these, holy poo poo they make transport flow better.
Lots of aesthetic stuff like security fences, hedges, on street trees, avenue fillers, diagonal tile fillers, curve fillers etc etc
OF 3.0

Be warned, this file will have a jobs doubler mod in it so make sure to remove it if you don't want it in. It doesn't contain any of the other big mod changers like ordinance or demand mods in.

E - There are a few Ninja related transit things I'm missing a file for and glitch out. I just can't find it..
Cleanitrol has been run through it removing all files not related to SC4.
I'll add it tonight as I've just installed google drive.

Tai fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 6, 2014

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
As far as the on street bus station, yes it is RTMT. The only downside to it, is that its not considered a road connecter for painted zones for 1x1,1x2 and 1x3 tiles with the 1x being where it would touch the road.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://mega.co.nz/#!5ck33KzS!Wq04elB3H7-hyq1O1rdJhzd5Dg2D7eyB-UkIO-909Sg

Think thats a link to my plugin zip. Shows up for me anyway.

Few more points, it doesn't have terrain mod folder and some stuff doesn't show up till you place a 1x1 tile then the stuff appears in the menu. Just browse through it and you'll see them.

E - New link for updated mega pack.

Tai fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 8, 2014

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
No slope mods in the download. It does have probably the best beach mod available. Has seawalls also and canals.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'd avoid left hand drive (UK roads) if you are using it. A lot of the transit mods haven't bothered to configure LHD and it will crash.

Also, if you are using right hand drive and crashing since using my plugin, make sure its software mode. My rig doesn't like hardware mode so some mods are SD.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
In regards to DAT packing, I downloaded the .exe for it but all those instructions make me nervous a bit. Can I just DAT pack everything or do I have to move everything around like it recommends? My plugin folder isn't exactly well organised and I'm also very lazy.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Sweet, glad you are happy with it. Let me know if you find a dependency missing as I've not fully used every mod yet.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
XL is better in my view without mods then SC4 but the mod community is huge and much bigger choice then XL. I found XL a bit static since it doesn't evolve as much as SC4. The simulation of SC4 is by far better.

It also needs a decent CPU/GPU for XL and ideally 8 GB of memory.

I prefer SC4 but only because of the depth of mods available.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Thanks!

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1466

All files needed are here. Sorry, it's a devotion site it seems. This might be a file from OFv3 as I don't remember getting this mod.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

HappyHelmet posted:

I purposely don't use any puzzle pieces in my cities for this reason. Well that and it saps all the fun out of the game when you spend hours working on just a single plot of land.

Using roads as an example, I generally skip fractional pieces and just use wide road pieces. They still break up the right angle turns but are easy to place.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Re uploaded my mega pack.

Cleaned it up a bit with most of the duplicates from OF3.

Moved all Simgobber, PEG etc mods to one file.

Fixed the dependency issue mentioned earlier.

Added more stuff (I'm addicted) such as bus/parking combined, high capacity underground parking, more low to medium rise growable/ploppable residential and commercial. More sky scrapers, more park related stuff like indoor/outdoor pools, decent looking tennis courts. Added a few combined elementary/high schools (see small county school, it owns for small towns with its big radius).

Ninja related mods are still hosed, sorry. I just can't find the mod needed to stop the green roof.

https://mega.co.nz/#!5ck33KzS!Wq04elB3H7-hyq1O1rdJhzd5Dg2D7eyB-UkIO-909Sg

E - Its still not dat packed. If anyone would like to do this, I'd be very appreciative. I'm dubious about doing it since it says move lots of poo poo and I'd rather not break my plugins.

E - Also what's really cool is the modular roadside parking set. It's low capacity but looks great with residential areas. I think it's something like 50 cars per tile but you can do some cool stuff with it. Double sided parking too.

Tai fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 8, 2014

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Yes I did, the terrain mod pack is not in my version as it causes stability problems for me and as Fhuzo map doesn't work for me, I'd guess that is what you need to add for terrain related features to show up.

As far as specific flora related mods, nothing else has been touched with. I've only added flora mods. I am pretty sure though its the terrain folder that you will need to make Fhuzo work.

E - I think this is the link for it http://sc4terraformer.sourceforge.net/ . I'm not 100% sure though so better to have someone else confirm it.

Tai fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 19, 2014

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone have any decent I-HT buildings and/or growables? I've got the main stream stuff but I'm still lacking badly on HT buildings as the shame poo poo grows over and over. The picture shows how limited my HT choice is and it's annoying.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I sometimes get bigger then normal buildings appearing when they shouldn't and look out of place. It's best to just keep blowing them up till they build as something else.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Water and no power? It shouldn't even build any type.

E - Assuming you meant you have power too, the big ones for getting $$$ is decent education, health, fire/police coverage and also any park related stuff nearby. Also ordinances have quite a big effect too if you have them all turned on. CPR, pro reading, smoke. Those kind of boosts to the overall area.

If you are after a slum or low rise/low wealth commercial area then just make sure to knock down all of the above.

Tai fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Are the buildings that pop up player designed buildings or default maxis ones?

• Locked thread