Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm probably going to pick up D2 in the next little while, especially if Amazon Black Fridays it. Are people still getting the horrible game-freezing bugs a lot or have those largely been patched out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Does disabling friendly spell animations prevent the crash bug? Can you even do that (I've not played any of the PS3 Disgaeas, but figure they would have brought that over from handhelds by now). Also as someone who has played a ton of all three D1 ports and D3 Vita, should I be able to pick up all the mechanics pretty quickly or is everything so new my head will melt?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Can't you use the cheat menu for 10X exp growth or am i Misunderstanding how that works? Or, horror, does that 6 hour figure account for that?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Is the enemy's equipment tied to Mao's level or something? Cause when I did the Bigster mission he didn't have a Trap at all. Do I need to do another NG+ cycle?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Put about 10 hours into D2 so far and this is the best (mechanically) Disgaea game ever, in my opinion. Being able to switch masters and pupils on the fly, promotion without reincarnation for generics, the entire monster mount system, the cheat shop, and being able to pay your way out of Dark Assembly bills are all amazing, among others. However, I do have one question. About how long should it take for the Demon Dojo to level up? I'm mid Chapter 4 and have done probably 200 floors of Item Sea and some tutorial-map grinding. It says it will level up after some battles, when can I expect that?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Thanks, I guess I'll keep plugging away. Also the random name generator for this is pretty great and I think the name field got bigger, so my two main generics are Professor Judo Chop the Skull and Impossibly Tuesday the Warrior.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'm glad Raspberyl is free DLC. She was one of my favorite parts of D3's narrative in addition to being one of the more useful uniques. I don't know why all the DLC and such for later games decided that Salvatore was such a huge part of D3 as opposed to being one not particuarly hilarious joke which I assume she keeps up through all her DLC appearances.

:geno: ha. ha. The nazi ordered me to drink the Earth through a straw. This sure is jokes. :geno:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

CaptainWinky posted:

A patch for Disgaea D2 came out a couple days ago. It's supposed to fix the freezes and some other minor things. Some guy on the NISA forums said he's still getting crashes but he's the only one so far. I just played for a couple hours, without using the load-quit-load workaround, and didn't have any problems yet.

In addition, the slowdown/small freezes on enemy attacks seem much rarer for me, too! It's a good patch.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

There are Peta spells now above Tera spells in D4 Vita. They cost 30000 mana to start and are SS-Damage class. That's pretty insane. I'm starting chapter 7, and this is my first time playing D4. I loved the Chap 6 finale with the 25 Axels lining the battlefield like Agent Smith in the Matrix. Game is cool.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Once you get where you can run Map 5-2 dependably, that gives 800 Mana per enemy group at enemy level 3. That's how I got my Skull up to Tera Fire, and also level 163. Both are handy to have. I was also able to get Desco and a Nekomata up to 100 or so through fused True Godly Weapon. Desco is cool.

E: Just noticed that unlike D3 Vita and DD2, they don't have name cards on the Omega/Tera/Peta elemental spell summons. I liked those.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 18, 2014

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

ZZT the Fifth posted:

5-2 also gets you level 99 enemies at 8 stars - bonus XP for low-mid-level grinding, plus there's two easily reachable EXP+50% blocks to throw onto the geopanels. There's another two in the back of the map, but it's faster to just ignore them.

If you throw the yellow (bottom right) Geo Block onto the main field and destroy it, the main field is EXP+150%

And yes, level 99 gives the same XP as level 300 enemies.

E: Holy balls, one of the Ten Overlords (the Skeletal Dragon) in my game is named NObama. That's incredible.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 18, 2014

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Fusing Priere onto Desco is really good too. She has higher stats at 70 than my Nekomata has at 115. She also magichanges as an axe, I think.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I liked Makai Kingdom's use of vehicles. Nowadays, they are only for reverse pirating. Let me take the Laharl Mech into a regular map!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Dis posted:

Since it appears at least some of you are quite a bit farther along than I am, can anyone confirm (or, I guess, deny) that Fallen Angel Flonne is in D4V?

She is, its a bill you pass in like chap 4? I don't know the trigger for it, but she's a 99%, 100 mana bill.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Oh yeah, I forgot some people do things legit. But yeah it didn't show up for me immediately even starting the game with the cheat.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Having now played through the stories of all 5 main games I can say that in my estimation Judge Nemo is the most effective villain in the series both in terms of doing things and in terms of making me very angry whenever I see or hear him. Screw that guy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

With the exception of Afternoon of Darkness with its bugged innocents, I usually peter out midway through the post game. Most recently with D3Vita, I got through all the bosses except Baal, got to the land of Carnage, got Beryl to 9999, started duping equipment, tried Baal, saw I would need a lot more duping and leveling, and decided nope, good enough for me. It's just always such a series of jarring difficulty increases at the end. Just endless plateaus in the sky.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

megamariox posted:

Also aside from one character none of the characters in D4 ever actually grew or developed, especially one character that really is just one note over and over.

Fuka (Emizel?) and Val respectively?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I tried to have a big varied team, but thanks to the way 5-2 works, I ended up leaning heavily on Gig and Desco fusing or alone and my Galaxy Skull.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I've been considering just having my old small team around, and reincarnating them when I want a different kind of character. Or should I make one of each character type instead? Cause then I'd have to bring everyone up to level 999999999999 again and gently caress that.

I like to keep just a few human generics around and reincarnate them as desired. That way when you, say, want a Thief, you can take your Skull, reincarnate him as a Thief while putting all his bonus points in INT, and have a Thief who can still be a fairly effective blasty mage. This is also useful for dipping everyone through Healer to make all your big tough guys combat medics, etc. I recognize it is not the most optimized technique, but it works for me.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

A friendly tip! Don't be like me and only depend on the Vita's suspend function instead of in game saves. If you do that, then eventually you'll stumble into a mystery gate in the item world, get killed by lv800 monsters, and lose like 12 hours, a few hundred levels, and 4 shop levels! Hooray! You can't gency out of mystery gate rooms.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

Don't you simply get sent to the base after dying D4V now, without losing anything?

Ordinarily yeah but I wiped on a mystery floor featuring two Prism Rangers fighting three giant monsters, elected to help, died, and got a game over then booted to the title.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I like that they are going to stay with sprites and (apparently) up the troop limit from 10. Hopefully this leads to a remake of something like that map in Disgaea 1's Chapter 5, except now you are fighting like 200 units instead of 35. Maybe that means they will make a strat other than having 1-5 overleveled units viable.

Also what is the deal with the giant fat gold prinny. That is the mystery.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Basically I want to cast a 5x5 Peta Star and murder 25 weak units all at once, multiple times in the same turn. I feel Disgaea 5 should extend this opportunity to me. Make it an optional map whatever. I just want to cut through hundreds of dudes effortlessly with my big numbers. I am a simple man.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

megamariox posted:

Ursia is a girl who is cursed to go beserk if she doesn't eat curry and is the heir to the rabbit underworld where demons that don't like fighting go.

*Disgaea writer opens Disgaea4Jokes.doc, sighs while punching 'sardines' into Find and Replace dialog*

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

Nah, Disgaea 4 Vita. For whatever reason the Cheat Shop guy got placed next to the Cockatrice in that jail cell, off in the middle of loving nowhere. I'd rather he be close to the Dimension Guide (where it makes sense.)

Yeah after a certain par tof the game I forget when, you get to make your own custom maps, you can also make a custom base. I made a base for use while I am grinding that is just a small square with everyone lined up along the walls for easy access to everything

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Doesn't reincarnating raise unique chars' weapon/stat proficiencies and spell levels or is that not in this game? I know it did in D3 and DD2.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So I'm experiencing a bit of what I think is a glitch in D4 Vita. I had some of those Enforcers, the Innocents that let you move untamed Innocents around at will, and was passing them around various items arranging stuff. However, it seems that after a while, maybe 50-60 moves or so, they just turn into untamed level 2 Gladiators randomly. Is that supposed to happen?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah it's called Disgaea 2 Dark Hero Days and it's $20. I'm looking at it on a vita.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Emron posted:

If I reincarnate a lvl 2000 galaxy mage and dump all the points in INT, does that affect how much she gets per level or what?

It does. Stats gained per level are a function of both base stats and current stats so also make sure she has a good staff/orbs on if you are indirectly leveling her.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Smello posted:

Where on earth did you get this from? Unless they changed something pretty drastically in this iteration your equipment doesn't matter at all in terms of character stat growth.

Yeah I was mistaken about that. I remember reading it on GameFAQS in regards to D3 Vita but it seems that is not the case. Sorry:shobon:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It's amazing how fast D4 Vita picks up once you can clear Mt. Ordeal 4 the first time. Three gameplay hours ago I had one character over 400, and now I can get any monster up to 2000 in like 10 minutes by fusing them to Gig and having him oneshot an Enemy Level 20 MO4 a few times with 450% experience. Getting some humanoid characters to the point that they can do that is the next step. Does using a Giant Magichange staff increase your spell aoe? Or is Giant Fist Big Bang the only way for human generics to get that big diamond size you need?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Dis posted:

Holy god. Seconded on all counts. After reading this post (thanks!) I instantly broke through the slow-down. With monster classes, anyway. And Rutile, thanks to giant magichange + Big Bang. I'm going to have to give the staff thing a go.

After testing it, it does not. You just get a staff that looks like a flower (I used an Alraune). Which is 10000% lame.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Just to confirm, in D4V, the only way to get new specials (the Giga elements specifically) onto a story character (Archangel Flonne, specifically) is to Chara World them from someone in the same Symbol one at a time, right? What a bother.

At least thanks to the cheat shop, the mana-sharing pyramid, and a Manager on his weapon, Gig clearing 20-star MO4 gives another character about 65000 mana per run. My main Skull has all four elements in base, Mega, Omega, and Peta forms at +8 each. He can't even cast a 9-square Peta element yet, it costs more SP than he has.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

5er posted:

I have item worlded some 20 times for a grand total of close to 700 levels and haven't seen the promotionhell vendor once >: /

I saw him one time when I was around mostly level 100 and of course did not have the billions of HL he requires. Maybe he will never show up again. I think I'll hit MO4 for a while and make sure I have a hundred billion or so before I start item worlding again so I can get all his maps if I see him again.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Woohoo! Found the X-Dimension scalper after a couple hours of save scumming the Item World. I love that D4V makes all the tickets available simultaneously from one wolf. Almost as easy as DD2's just making LoC a switch in the Cheat Shop.

E: He said, before he learned about the "find the ship parts" nonsense. I love the Disgaea games and all, but they really lean hard on luck-based content extenders sometimes.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 1, 2014

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

5er posted:

FINALLY. 25billion HL in the bank, 350hr save file, and I finally get the Promotionhell ticket vendor. I think I just bought fifty tickets, and it didn't even make a bitty dent in my warchest.

edit: oh great I apparently still have to find the vendor again on floors 50-99 of an item.

Not if you are playing on Vita! the one vendor has them all at once. I stopped trying to find the ship parts you need after that and did the two DLC campaigns (Fuka and Desco and the Time Leap). They are OK. I guess I should get back to trying to grind out the captures and treasure finding needed because LoC will make MO4 grinding for Zetta and Baal much faster.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I am currently trying to coax out the Meowkin pirates so I can get part of Flonzor X. They are, so far, hiding. Is there anything I can do to increase pirate spawn rates? I know D3 had a club for it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

OK, so I just make sure I have someone standing in the item world radar, jump into my floor 94 Requiem, and then reload until I see a ship right below me? Doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Neurion posted:

I'd recommend using the Character World to boost the number of slots in the Item World Radar area to 6. The more people in the Item World Radar group, the higher chances of things spawning (supposedly). If you don't know how to do that, what you need to do is clear all the geo-blocks on any floor before 9 to open a Mystery Gate. It could lead to prinnies that teach rank 8 or 9 weapon skills, or an Armor Knight that lets you boost the number of slots in an Evil Area the character is a member of. The max number of slots per area is 6. In the Campaign HQ, when you put down Evil Symbols, you can Edit Area of those that have more slots unlocked and select what spaces you want to add.

If you're searching for certain pirates, I'd also recommend going only as far as you need for them to appear, as if you go all the way to floor 91 you have to deal with everyone else having a chance to spawn, too. Meowkin pirates spawn on floors 91+ in the PS3 version, but I've seen them as early as 51+ on the Vita, and possibly as early as 21+, IIRC. Pirates will also never spawn on floors with Mystery Gates.

Thanks! I'll look into expanding the area, I don't think I have anyone on it now anyway so even the first 3 will help. I think I will also get a new legendary item, something low rank instead of my rank 32 staff and its 4-digit level enemies. The difficulty/rank of the item doesn't change whether/which pirates spawn does it?

• Locked thread