Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
grover can you tell us some sea stories please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

ded posted:

I know what the fathometer of an Oscar II sounds like.

Kursk came to my mind for some reason.

camino
Feb 23, 2006

genderstomper58 posted:

grover can you tell us some sea stories please

Once we were trying to bring some lagging onboard and the riggers were late.

War is hell.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
My first Captain was a bit daft, and would get these ideas in his head that MUST be addressed right away. One Monday the CO comes aboard and says "I had a dream that the ballast is wrong on my ship. Dive officer, recalculate the ballast!" And because our Dive Officer sucked any dick that had brass on it, he complied and "Found a discrepancy, sir!" With such evidence, a request to load 10,000 LBS of lead was put into squadron, and 10,000LBS of lead was delivered to the pier.

But no, our Captain could not wait! It must be loaded NOW! What happens if, dare say, the pier were to POOF vanish into thin air! And so our Dive Officer decided he would load the lead NOW, before squadron had their say. Into a line we went, all 100 sailors we, and loaded 10,000LBS of lead from pier to ship. From dawn to dusk we worked, moving this lead, and it was at days end that, with a sigh of relief, we completed our task. We clasped hands and slapped backs, enjoying our feat. But lo comes squadron, with their results. What is this, the calculations were wrong? The ballast was right all along!

And so back into a line we went, at 1735; the lead must come off, after all...

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Sacrilage posted:

My first Captain was a bit daft, and would get these ideas in his head that MUST be addressed right away. One Monday the CO comes aboard and says "I had a dream that the ballast is wrong on my ship. Dive officer, recalculate the ballast!" And because our Dive Officer sucked any dick that had brass on it, he complied and "Found a discrepancy, sir!" With such evidence, a request to load 10,000 LBS of lead was put into squadron, and 10,000LBS of lead was delivered to the pier.

But no, our Captain could not wait! It must be loaded NOW! What happens if, dare say, the pier were to POOF vanish into thin air! And so our Dive Officer decided he would load the lead NOW, before squadron had their say. Into a line we went, all 100 sailors we, and loaded 10,000LBS of lead from pier to ship. From dawn to dusk we worked, moving this lead, and it was at days end that, with a sigh of relief, we completed our task. We clasped hands and slapped backs, enjoying our feat. But lo comes squadron, with their results. What is this, the calculations were wrong? The ballast was right all along!

And so back into a line we went, at 1735; the lead must come off, after all...

Jesus christ that dive officer :psyduck:. Learn to double check things before wasting a thousand man hours worth of time and effort

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Well it's not like you had better things to do. Besides, consider it training for a stores load. or something.

Where the gently caress did you put all that lead?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Well it's not like you had better things to do. Besides, consider it training for a stores load. or something.

Where the gently caress did you put all that lead?

thats not really a great volume of lead mate :aspie: :imagiantqueer"

Internet Storm
Nov 16, 2013

by Pipski
when i complete my film and become famous im gonna explain to obama or whomever what a goon is and then you are all court marshalled for being anywhere near anything classified or nuclear

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Internet Storm posted:

when i complete my film and become famous im gonna explain to obama or whomever what a goon is and then you are all court marshalled for being anywhere near anything classified or nuclear

ok w/ me

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Internet Storm posted:

:pray:

If only we could be so lucky; I'm sure they have a waiver for that.

monkeyboy
Feb 3, 2002

If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Koesj posted:

drat, you were in during the salad days.

Any Blind Man's Bluff-esque stuff you are able and caring enough to talk/brag about?
Yeah, a lot of classified stuff, still on the QT. We did track the wrong guy for a week, the intended target slipped away. Our "intelligence" rider continued to declare we were tracking the right guy, even in the presence of iron clad info. That was his last run.

Best liberty: Thailand. But only before the rest of the battle group gets there, then it's a loving wild west show. Our TMC was drooling over with the chick who did the razor blade show at the Caligula in Pattaya. He would not shut the gently caress up about her. I paid the mamasan for her number badge (that was a hoot, she couldn't not understand why I wanted the badge, and not the woman. Had my own, and she didn't have anything to do with sharp pbjects in the clam).
So, we're back underway, about 3 weeks outside of P. TMC is still whining about that chick, and as the dive I've been listening to that poo poo for too long. I pull teh number badge from my pocket, and say "Oh, this chick?". Control goes deathly silent, and he comes over the planesman chair at me. Arms flailing, cursing up a storm, I'm in a ball laughing my rear end off, along with the control room party. COB storms in with the usual WTF pose. I still have that badge.

Hat's off to you current folks, with all these chickenshit rules, regs and micromanagement (officer of the deck talking directly to operators on the Virginias? gently caress that) I couldn't do it. But, when you don't have a mission, the minutiae becomes the driving factor.

Fav unclass story not involving Thai trim : Tied outboard some loving tender in Norfolk (we were a Groton boat), get some stores and poo poo after local ops, and before heading north on a spec op. Tide's ebbing, we need to get going immediately. At Manuevering Watch, I'm forward topside chief, and the tender decides to hold a nuke weapons security violation drill. So, no line handling support from the tender. Order comes from the bridge: "Cut the lines" (tender provided). I ask the talker to repeat the message. Captain leans over the playpen and yells "Cut the loving lines chief". Cheery Aye Aye. Fireaxe meets us at the weapon shipping hatch, and cutting commences. Tell ya, HY80 doesn't work well as a backstop for an axe.

Commodore and tender captain on the deck yelling down to CO, man were they pissed. His response "I don't work for you". Goddamn that man had some sack. Seriously doubt that would ever fly now.

Won the Battle "e" that year, successful op, Cap relieved at scheduled time and made admiral.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
That is awesome; yeah, tender CO's play the politics game these days, so sad to say that story would unlikely repeat itself. But thanks for making my day!

That's great that your CO made flag; too often the Sub guys lose out on Admiral because the pilots and surface guys have so much representation at the boards.

E: Great Thailand story by the way. Your razor chick (or her apprentice; she looked real young) is still in business as of 6 months ago.

monkeyboy
Feb 3, 2002

Sacrilage posted:

E: Great Thailand story by the way. Your razor chick (or her apprentice; she looked real young) is still in business as of 6 months ago.
I wouldn't be surprised. The woman in Okinawa who did a banana show with her snake looked liked she entertained the Imperial Japanaese Navy.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
a-gang were only cool coners imo

death to anyone in control

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

A-gangers were engineering's bastard children. They had as much poo poo work to do as the nukes, but they didn't get the pro-pay.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Mad Dragon posted:

A-gangers were engineering's bastard children. They had as much poo poo work to do

Lord knows that part was accurate

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm dumb, what's the deal with the number badge part of your story?

monkeyboy
Feb 3, 2002

In some of the bigger places, you'd tell the mamasan what girl you wanted by her number, which was displayed on a badge.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Out of curiosity, do any of you fellow submariners have SELRES experience, or want to weigh in on the IRR/SELRES choice? I'm leaning towards IRR, just because I'm not sure how often or when sub guys get mobilized, and I'm pretty sure the marriage wouldn't last another unscheduled deployment.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I just got off a month long probation and I'm not going to let this thread slip under the waves.

Is there any discussion among Sub officers about the faulty Mk14 torp during early WWII? I can't imagine how aggravating it must have been to score dud hits...

Since the USN doesn't operate diesel subs this question might not violate OPSEC: what are the strategies for operating the diesel engines? Do they sit still while charging? When in transit do diesels move at periscope/snorkel depth or surfaced?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Baloogan posted:

I just got off a month long probation and I'm not going to let this thread slip under the waves.

Is there any discussion among Sub officers about the faulty Mk14 torp during early WWII? I can't imagine how aggravating it must have been to score dud hits...

Since the USN doesn't operate diesel subs this question might not violate OPSEC: what are the strategies for operating the diesel engines? Do they sit still while charging? When in transit do diesels move at periscope/snorkel depth or surfaced?

If you get a chance, skip down to the local Library and see if they have Silent Victory. There's a good background of how the Mk14 got so hosed up and what the captains had to say about it. TL;DR the Navy told them they were nuts until sub commanders started officially reporting a ton of dud strikes. They were pissed. Also, that's a drat good book overall for some WWII Sub history.

I have no idea about modern conventionals, as with the advent of AIO (Air-Independent Operation) diesels can stay down for a couple weeks at a time. They are quite a bit slower than nuc boats while submerged.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Baloogan posted:

Yeah this is extremely classified info. You have to realize no one is going to give you any specific answers to any performance related questions or operational capabilities.

Surely you see the difference between asking about Mk14 torps in WWII and snorting strategies of modern diesel-electric boats? It comes off as kind of suspicious, even if it's just curiosity. Keep the thread alive but don't earn yourself a visit by very humorless guys in suits - I believe you're Canadian, bear in mind those particular humorless dudes are especially freaked out right now because of a couple of recent incidents.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Baloogan posted:

When in transit do diesels move at periscope/snorkel depth or surfaced?

They would probably be at snorkel depth, since if I remember right subs tend to be less stable while surfaced.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

compressioncut posted:

Yeah this is extremely classified info. You have to realize no one is going to give you any specific answers to any performance related questions or operational capabilities.

Surely you see the difference between asking about Mk14 torps in WWII and snorting strategies of modern diesel-electric boats? It comes off as kind of suspicious, even if it's just curiosity. Keep the thread alive but don't earn yourself a visit by very humorless guys in suits - I believe you're Canadian, bear in mind those particular humorless dudes are especially freaked out right now because of a couple of recent incidents.

so uh do Canadian subs have booze on board?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Baloogan posted:

Unless it is a drill or emergency you never stop the shaft from turning because it makes a real loving load noise, so you never really stop moving no matter what kind of sub it is.

Old boats like in ww1/ww2 would transit on the surface because that is how they were designed, modern boats have a much different hull shape that makes life on the surface suck so again, only drills, emergency, or going into port.

compressioncut posted:

This is basic poo poo that anyone can wiki dude, relax.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

ded posted:

Unless it is a drill or emergency you never stop the shaft from turning because it makes a real loving load noise, so you never really stop moving no matter what kind of sub it is.

Old boats like in ww1/ww2 would transit on the surface because that is how they were designed, modern boats have a much different hull shape that makes life on the surface suck so again, only drills, emergency, or going into port.

This is basic poo poo that anyone can wiki dude, relax.

Haha no you can't. Jesus.

Yes you can find answers to questions as to whether they would transit surfaced/submerged (usually submerged) whatever but not "what is the best way to avoid detection while snorting."

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

compressioncut posted:

Haha no you can't. Jesus.

Yes you can find answers to questions as to whether they would transit surfaced/submerged (usually submerged) whatever but not "what is the best way to avoid detection while snorting."

I didn't really get that that was what he was asking, I think he was going for much simpler concepts. I do understand your concern, and even if it's on Wikipedia that doesn't mean we should confirm/deny it. This seems like safe territory, though (perhaps he's a craftier Canadian spy than we thought!) so I would've responded with most of what ded said.

The control surfaces (rudder/planes) don't do poo poo without water moving over them, just like an airplane's control surfaces around stall speed, so you're going to want some forward motion to maintain depth/pitch/steerage control.

Most of the countries that have agendas of long-distance naval power projection have nuclear subs, so most diesel boats are designed for fairly close to home operation. This is different from WWII where you had diesel boats traveling thousands of miles to their op area, and the designs reflect that. Even the new AIP boats aren't really intended to cross whole oceans regularly, because the countries that run them have no reason to send them that far; instead they tend to be optimized for shallow water ops, which have a very different set of design concerns.

One example is the HMS Gotland, a good boat we used as a Country Orange adversary for a while; it might have had the endurance for a cross-ocean run, but it would have been a miserable time, so to get it from Sweden to San Diego they loaded it on a freighter. In wartime it probably wouldn't really have the endurance to make such a trip and have the food and fuel to actually fight once there.

Perhaps the biggest counterexample to that is the Australian Collins class, which is also considered pretty crappy and is slated for replacement.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 24, 2013

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Snowdens Secret posted:

I didn't really get that that was what he was asking, I think he was going for much simpler concepts. I do understand your concern, and even if it's on Wikipedia that doesn't mean we should confirm/deny it. This seems like safe territory, though (perhaps he's a craftier Canadian spy than we thought!) so I would've responded with most of what ded said.

It was a two-parter. General + near-creepy "asking for too much info." I'm not the thread police and there's plenty of neat info to read, but some of the questions asked have been pretty probing, unwittingly so or not. If you can't find the answer by Googling there's probably a pretty good reason for it, but everyone here with sub ops knowledge knows that.

I was also an E-7 equivalent kinda-STG so it could just be the no-fun gene. I hate that thing. I will bow out now and take my fun extinguisher with me.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

compressioncut posted:

I was also an E-7 equivalent kinda-STG so it could just be the no-fun gene. I hate that thing. I will bow out now and take my fun extinguisher with me.

I think you just read too much into what he asked. Ops for a diesel boat are pretty drat much the same they have ever been since the invention of the snorkel so there really isn't much secret about it anymore.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Still, even if you've found it online plastered on a dozen sites, if it's OPSEC (or worse), you can't confirm or deny it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
ded would know, he's old enough that I think his first rate was Oarsman.

Keeping OPSEC in mind is always a good idea. Civilians and even other miltypes usually won't and shouldn't even realize when they're going into a grey area. Basically think of it this way: if the question could be twisted into a "How could I kill this easier" or "How could I build one harder to kill" form, then it's probably going to be dodged. Snorkeling and the tactics/tech around it were clearly intended to make boats harder to kill, so even if it seems innocent to ask about it can set off warning bells. Asking if we have booze on board is cleaner terrain. (I have no clue wrt Canadian boats and booze.)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Snowdens Secret posted:

ded would know, he's old enough that I think his first rate was Oarsman.

I remember when subs had quartermasters and ICmen. :chiefsay:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowdens Secret posted:

(I have no clue wrt Canadian boats and booze.)

Not since some time in the early 70's I'm pretty sure. Of course that doesn't include special occasions, which have a 2 beer maximum.

Edit: auto correct mistake

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 24, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I stand accused of being a spy and a Canadian. :(

and I guess there is something hella secret about diesel subs.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Baloogan posted:

The US hasn't had a diesel boat since 1990. People are just being a bit spergy.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Baloogan posted:

Your 43 posts in the D&D CdnPoli thread threw me off.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ded posted:

The US hasn't had a diesel boat since 1990. People are just being a bit spergy.

Then explain this documentary.

Also the USS Dolphin wasn't decommissioned until 2007.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Oh geez guys he isn't asking for anything Opsec. Yeah diesel boats come up for air, putt around a bit while charging, then go back down. I was told in the crews mess the other day that the Swedes can charge air into their diesel from compressed tanks and therefore run it submerged.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Then explain this documentary.

Also the USS Dolphin wasn't decommissioned until 2007.

Research boat. That thing went down to some scary motherfucking depths. A a-ganger from my boat transferred to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Baloogan posted:

Your probation was pretty epic, enough.

• Locked thread