Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ded posted:

The only real physical hardship of being on a boat is the stores & TDU (weights used for trash disposal) loads.
Said no Machinist's Mate or Torpedoman (are they MMs now?) ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Signaleer posted:

this is hands down the shittiest job in the military.
I've known people who enlisted as submariners in the 60s to avoid the Army draft.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ded posted:

Deck & Divers was under the WEPS on my boat.

The divers themselves can come from any division. One of our divers was a cook. Two (three?) were nukes.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Thank you for your well though out and informative contribution.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

On time, some coner burned his speedo undies in the dryer.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Our dryer was marked DO NOT ADJUST TEMPERATURE HIGHER THAN HERE ->, and he did anyway.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Fun fact: the poo poo pumps on a sub were originally designed to pump ketchup. Enjoy that burger. :yum:

Cerekk posted:

There's an anchor in one of the ballast tanks that I have never seen used.

I've seen it used, and it broke. They always break.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

One of our freezers took a poo poo during an underway, so we had to "offload" several hundred pounds of meat into the ocean. The sharks ate well that night.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

We surfaced and threw it overboard. Launching it out the torpedo tubes probably would have been more fun.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Georgia was supposed to but some jerk had dropped a bolt in her reduction gears.
We were going to bomb Iraq back in 90-something, but the plans changed at the last minute. I think the Miami (or some other iBoat) did it instead. It would have made for a good story to tell the grandkids, but the Med run we did instead was pretty awesome. Gibraltar is loving awesome.

quote:

When you're not fighting WWIII, submarine roles lean heavily to intelligence gathering and similar sneaky poo poo, so there are probably more 'got shot at' stories out there than 'got to shoot' stories.
Are there even any post-cold war navies capable of locating and tracking a US sub?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Late 90s, not Desert Storm.

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9711/14/iraq.military/

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=attractive+Swedish+female+sailors&FORM=HDRSC2

Might be some :nws: in there.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

And the smells stay with you and on you. Forever.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

More like waking up to the sound of the fairwater planes slapping the surface. I'm surprised the drat things didn't break off.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sacrilage posted:

anything that requires immediate split-second reflexes to save the ship have been extensively automated, computerized, and interlocked

Never served on a first flight 688, have you? :v:

ded posted:

If the ship went inverted certain things would become broke in ways that cannot be fixed outside of drydock.
Oil. Oil everywhere. And guess who will have to clean it all up? :mad:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Oxford Comma posted:

Is there any submarine movie better than Das Boot?

Down Periscope.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Bear Pen? More like Nap Room.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Coners aren't very creative.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Officers eat in the ward room. They get nicer dishes and silverware, but the food is the same.

True sea story: Cooks put rice in our pizza once , because "we had extra and it looked like the cheese". I guess no one told them that rice doesn't melt. :pseudo:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

When did they change MS into CS? Stupid navy changing rate names. poo poo, my grandfather was a Baker First Class in WWII.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The biggest change in our command atmosphere was when a nuke replaced the ST COB. There was a huge good ol' boys coner club, and that poo poo went right the gently caress away.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Not to mention subs are all volunteers.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Some of our cooks were actually pretty good when they weren't being lazy. Some were just lazy no matter what. Lobster and steak/prime rib is usually something that's reserved for halfway night on long deployments.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Our first "class" in A-School was meat recognition.

Round - Chicken
Square - Fish
Oval - Veal

I don't remember ever having veal underway. :(

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

We did a flooding drill one underway, and I'm pretty sure I went from dead asleep in fwd berthing to the engineroom with phones on in about 30 seconds. I guess the big up angle helped with that. :v:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I think after the whole wikileak thing or some other opsec bullshit, no one can have any personal electronics on board.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

I didn't fish off the sub but we had guys who did. That's really an in-port thing, though. If you've been running slow and shallow in warmer waters you get a 'grass skirt' which is a lot of plant life growing off the sides, and wildlife love it.
When we were tied up in Panama, the ship's flood lights would attract tarpon at night. There's no way in hell I'd try to catch one with a regular rod and reel, though.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The entire engine room is a special kind of classified, and it'll probably never be available to the general public. There's really nothing in there that would be of interest to people. It's just tight spaces, pipes, valves, and other metal poo poo for dumb kids to hurt themselves on.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

We had a nub open the flush valve on the shitter during a blow. Pretty sure there's a NAVSEA instruction that requires that to happen at least once per quarter.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kimwipe

edit: It's the same brand, but the ones on the boat are heavy-duty with plastic threads reenforcing them.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 26, 2013

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Man Needs Millions to Bring Corpus Christi Submarine to Town

quote:

CORPUS CHRISTI - A Navy veteran says it would cost $10-$15 million to bring the USS City of Corpus Christi to the coastal bend as a floating museum.

James Fitzgerald served in the US Navy aboard a submarine from 1960-1966, and says it was a chance of a lifetime. That is why he wants to bring sub to the coastal bend so that people can get a tour of what it is like to be aboard a submarine.

He says the USS Corpus Christi will be decomissioned in 2020 so the city has an opportunity to bring it from Pearl Harbor, Hawaii to be placed on display next to the USS Lexington.
What are the odds of a 688 boat becoming a museum?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

A-gangers were engineering's bastard children. They had as much poo poo work to do as the nukes, but they didn't get the pro-pay.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I was in Orlando when they closed the QM (and every other non-nuke) school. :bahgawd:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

i saw me a mermaid once

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

http://news.msn.com/us/navy-oks-changes-for-submariners-sleep-schedules

quote:

Research by a Navy laboratory in Groton is now leading to changes for the undersea fleet. Military scientists concluded submarine sailors, who traditionally begin a new workday every 18 hours, show less fatigue on a 24-hour schedule, and the Navy has endorsed the findings for any skippers who want to make the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

If I had to stand 8 hours of lower level as a nub, somebody would have died a violent death. Probably me. :smithicide:

The best rotation I had was as the evening watch/drill monitor. I stood watch from 18-24 and did drills in the morning. Of course, six months of ORSE workup loving blew.

• Locked thread