Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

quadratic posted:

Is there anything I need to know about traveling internationally with an AT&T SIM? I know with T-Mobile I had to forward all calls to voicemail before leaving the US because they'd charge you an incoming roaming minute even if you didn't answer a call.

Do you need coverage or are you just not using your phone? If you're not using the phone just put it in airplane mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

All customers are eligible (after 6 months with their current phone) for an exception upgrade. Some stores use it rarely. Our store uses it all the time.

Meaning partial or full upgrade? Managers can override those at my store for full upgrades as well, but it hits our budget and quite frankly most stores just aren't going to take a budget hit on a current customer. Everything is about tablets and mifis now a days.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rent posted:

Got 2 smartphones that say they qualify on the trade in website for $100. About to take them into an ATT store. I'm on an ANR plan, so Im not upgrading or buying anything; I just want them for my bill.

How much of a fight am I going to have here?

Official ATT policy on the trade ins now is they just be with an upgrade or new line, so you have a low chance at it by this point. Mileage will vary, but they are closing the loopholes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Today is the last day for the $100 trade in, which does now require a purchase of a device with a 2 year contract.

Fun story, we had a guy come in wanting to purchase an iPad with a two trade ins (metro Pcs smartphones). But when we said sure, and this is the plan you get he balks and says he wants to buy it no plan. We of course say sorry, 2 year contract. "ok I'll just buy the iPad outright" and he pulls out two AT&T gift cards with $500 between them.

Anyway, that's my story on how ATT really didn't think through the promo when they launched it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

I'm so angry about this promotion. It was so useful to sell iPads, Jamboxes, and various other high end things. Then AT&T had to go and gently caress it up by advertising, "Get the hottest smartphones up to %50 off!" NO! They are already coming in for an upgrade. Let us use this tool to sell other things.

Sorry, that's my rant for the day.

Also, are you sure it is ending today? I didn't see a specified end date.

The promo was always listed for May. You never know, but management on my end is saying it won't be extended past today.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Well I'm just going to say that to customers so they buy iPads today.

Btw, disregard what I said earlier. Now they are saying it's extended.

Who knows.

kmcormick9 posted:

My wife and I are both eligible for upgrades on our I4s(out of contract). I have grandfathered unlimited data and she has 2gb. We are both on wifi pretty much 24/7 except when traveling, when I use my phone as a hotspot.
Another poster early in the thread mentioned keeping his unlimited data even after upgrading to an I5, is this still possible, and how? I'm not opposed to paying full price on one or both phones we upgrade to to keep it.

No voodoo magic needed, you get to keep your plan how it is. AT&T corp is the best way to guarantee it, but if you want to buy from best buy call care afterwards to make sure its the same plan. So you can still upgrade no problem.

If you have older iPhones most smartphones get rounded up to $100 trade in per device with an upgrade.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 31, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

I was allowed to get prepaid for my iPhone, but is that because it was unlocked? I was switching back from T-Mobile. They said the data would be available on 6/21.

Also for the $25/month prepaid, do the 250 minutes include nights and weekends?

AT&T seems to be getting more lax on what works on prepaid. I haven't had time yet to read over the new policies.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Broke the glass on my note 2 today. Where do I find the information on where to send it to get repaired? Google's not being helpful.

ATT doesn't have repair centers. Try calling Samsung.

Oh and hey everyone, remember when Verizon changed upgrades to a full 24 months? ATT is following suit. If you agreement expires after march 1st 2014 you will have to wait 4 to 5 more months. Can't say I'm surprised.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

I saw that. It was the worst day of my life. I can't bother to do the math, but there will be a period of 4 months where its going to be "I'm sorry, you aren't eligible yet..." and just, no opps.

Right before Christmas this year too. Upgrades won't matter much for us after this summer anyway, theyre changing the structure.

Fyi it seems it's already in the system, upgrades that are affected already show that their upgrade is exactly 2 years later.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

obeyasia posted:

What is changing so that upgrades don't matter?

All rumors are that they are going to move away from having opps as part of our commission and it will be replaced by more new line focused. A recent rumor is they night increase accy payout as well to balance it out, but that is def a rumor. Revenue in upgrades is rumored to still count at least.

This is for northeast ish area fyi, although I would imagine it would be leaning that way in many areas. The higher ups keep saying august.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

It doesn't seem like the mobile share plans are worth it. We're about to upgrade my mom to a smartphone on our family plan.

We have the 700 minute plan - $70
Unlimited text - $30
Two phones (total of 4) - $20
I have 200 MB data - $15
Sister has same - $15
Dad has 300 - $20
Mom would have 300 - $20
Total - $190

Family share 6GB - $230

I'm probably upgrading to 3GB data and even if my sister and my dad do, that still matches the $230 and with 9GB of data instead of 6.

Mobile share plans won't match up as equal if lines on your account have the $15 or $20 cheaper data plan. Also, with 4 lines or more you should really just get the 10GB plan. Anyway, certainly not for everyone, but a general point that they basically matched mobile share plans to assume everyone has a 3Gb data plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vinlaen posted:

Has anybody voluntarily switched off an unlimited data plan?

I'm using an iPhone 5 with grandfathered unlimited data, but I want to be able to tether. I did jailbreak in the past to get "free" tethering but once I hit 5 GB they throttled me to EDGE speed which is almost unusable.

So... if they throttle at 5 GB, what's the point of keeping "unlimited" data?

I'm thinking about switching to the $50/month 5 GB plan which includes tethering (because the mobile shared plan is much more expensive for me and my wife)

I have customers switch from unlimited to either that plan or mobile share, just depends on what you are willing to pay. Keep in mind of course it's extra to go over 5Gb, so getting throttled on the unlimited is equivalent to that but you don't get an overage.

Do what works for you basically. Just remember you can't get the plan back.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vinlaen posted:

Yeah, I don't have texting so I end up paying a couple of dollars per text but I really don't text message very often.

I wish I jumped on that older $10/month for 500 text messages or whatever it was but now $30/month for unlimited texts is rediculously too expensive.

Ok, so don't switch to mobile share. I don't see what the question is? You won't be forced off that plan in any way, so really it's just up to you if you need the legit 5Gb tethering plan.

For the record, if you have a voice plan with either limited/no texting, and/or a lower data plan, almost everytime it will be less than a mobile share plan. For better or worse, mobile share is meant to pile on all features at a lower rate.

You would be surprised how many plans I still see of 1400-2200 minutes. Those people should switch to mobile share.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 12, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

What does everyone think of Digital Life? My manager wants me to sell 3 this month. I couldn't help but literally laugh in his face.

It's just a crazy hard sell and ATT hasn't positioned it well marketing wise. People don't walk in thinking about home security and ATT. Also, home automation is nice but not a necessity do I get s lot of "oh that's nice" and that's it.

I have yet to sell 1 in two months now. My store also has yet to sell one. So it's tough to move. Comcast advertises theirs way better.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

The LTE is so fast it's not frustrating to use. That's why I find myself using more data. It's not, oh, well lets wait for this lovely HSPA to load this loving page, or youtube video endlessly buffering... gently caress it I'll just wait until I get home.

The LTE is like having WiFi everywhere you go, it was worth the upgrade of phone all by itself.

One of my best speedtests on LTE was 33.7 Mbps down, 18.4 Mbps up with a ping of 69ms on my iPhone5.

I've hit 40 down multiple times around Philly. It's overall very good. ATT is very big on advertising that it's LTE is faster than big red, and I've been curious whether it's a network difference or just a different number of users on each network.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Can folks (particularly AT&T employees) share their experiences with blacklisted phones?

Do they tend to come back eventually, or just circulate on craigslist/ebay indefinitely?

An AT&T employee told me yesterday that even if you were to buy a second-hand phone legitimately, the original owner would still always be able to call in and have the phone blacklisted. Could this be avoided by doing the purchase/transfer at an AT&T store?

This whole blacklist setup just feels unhelpful on both ends. On the one hand, I had my phone stolen on a drunk night out (yes I'm dumb), and had it blacklisted soon after. But it sounds like the chances I ever get it back are slim. Meanwhile, I'd be willing to buy a used replacement, but there appears to be no way to protect myself against getting scammed.

I've worked over 6 months and have yet to run into a blacklisted phone. So for what it's worth it's somewhat rare at least.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Why wouldnt you? I did it all the time at AT&T and I do it all the time at sprint. I can promise you some of the dudes that would have otherwise would of reported it stolen the second they walked out of the store. People are shitheads, Rather protect good customers. Maybe its not 100% successful, But im sure it prevents some of that. You're gonna be the rep that calls and activates a soon to be stolen phone anyways, Or gives that customer a new sim or whatever the case may be. You might as well make sure it dont come back on you.

Only way to stop it is to prevent it. And you'll end up helping that customer anyways, Might as well try and sell some accessories for it.

With liability how it is I wouldn't note an account with something like that either.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

There is a simple solution that AT&T could implement itself.

You already ID people in-store when they make changes to their account. Well, customer A and customer B come in to the store. Customer A wants to sell his phone to customer B. You ID both customers and confirm that they are who they say they are. Customer A instructs you to remove the device from his account, and add it to customer B's. Some note is made in the system to this effect, and if customer A (or someone claiming to be customer A) ever calls back to tech support or whatever about that device, the system says something like "this device no longer belongs to customer A."

It would not be difficult, but would require AT&T's system to have mechanisms for this.

Things AT&T reps really won't ever want to do.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anti-Hero posted:

I have an old college acquaintance who lives in another state who has decided to treat his cellphone as his personal sounding horn for all things obnoxious. Every fleeting, obscene thought that enters his head he decides to send as a mass text to everyone on his phone list. Repeated requests to have him cease are ignored.

My phone is also my work phone and I've routinely missed important messages that get buried in his spam. I don't let coworkers borrow it on job sites as I'm afraid he'll text another one of his racist macros or poop pics he finds oh-so-hilarious. This definitely counts as harassment at this point. Apparently AT&T makes a subscriber pay $4.99/month for blocking features. Is it worth my time to call CS or go in to a store and try and get them to block this one number without having to pay the subscription?

I have an iPhone by the way, so no way to block it at the phone without jail breaking (and I'm on iOS 6.1.3).

Isn't Apple adding blocked messaging with iOS 7? If so, once September rolls around you won't have to pay anything. Although I thought care would block a specific number from call or text if you asked them. Maybe just calling it seems?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cromlech posted:

So if I got my Lumia 920 in November, had to exchange it for a busted hardware mic in March, and shattered the screen like a jackass last Saturday (luckily the Digitizer still works), there's no way to get a free exchange for it right?

Any options? I'm willing to pay a little since it was my mistake this time, but if I have to pay like 100-200 I'm just going to have this ugly rear end cracked screen for the next year and a half.

Or maybe when the new iPhone comes out in Fall I can be like "wah i dont like WP anymore please give me another sale before my contract expires in a year" and totally abandon the platform. Although that's a last resort thing because this screen shatter is drat UGLY.

You should be eligible for a partial upgrade which is $450 for an iPhone 5 (or whatever nee iPhone). If you happen to have any old smartphones you can get $100 off for trading it as well (only one per purchase). Otherwise there likely is a random phone repair shop somewhere, they all mostly do iPhones but it's worth seeing if they can repair your phone.

Seaborne is correct though, ATT won't make any exception upgrades anymore.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

Hmm something to consider.

I assume that will be the $200 upgrade fee though? iPhone 5s are still selling at $600, so about a $500 profit with the 5 only being $100 to upgrade to. Think the 5S would be selling at a premium over retail price due to demand?

I also need to take into account that I'm selling my iPhone 4 and those still sell for $200 now.

edit: in terms of swinging it financially to sit on the bill for the Google S4, yeah I can do that.

With the iPhone 5 being half off online and such, that kind of negates the extra profit you would get from waiting on the new one (who knows if it would completely negate, but overall.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hdip posted:

So that 50% off smartphone promotion says I have to trade in my old smart phone. I have two beat up sprint evo 3d's currently. Would they qualify for the promotion even though the bezels are falling off?

My wife wants verizon but if it's hundreds of dollars cheaper to get at&t (no activation fees too) I think I can talk her into it. At least the trial period.

You don't have to trade in via online purchases but you can get a $100 in store trade in at most ATT corp stores (most are not yet picky about wear and tear, mileage may vary).

If someone buys online I will still honor the trade in towards accys in store, you can call a store and ask (that is a store discretion).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

No you are not. It's stupid. All it does is hurt us in stores.

Could be worse. You could be one of the positions getting cut (hooray for restructures).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I'm on an old family plan that still has A-List on all of the lines. I want to upgrade from an iPhone 4S. Whichever phone I choose I have to change my data plan to an LTE version, which is apparently enough to kill the A-list feature on the account according to the website. Is upgrading a phone actually going to remove A-list, or can I get someone to keep it since I am not changing the voice plan and am not even really changing the data plan?

Just curious, do you have unlimited texting? Because if so, you would have unlimited calling to any mobile number, which kind of makes A list a bit less necessary.

I rarely get A List anymore, so i am not sure otherwise.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I'm on an old family plan that still has A-List on all of the lines. I want to upgrade from an iPhone 4S. Whichever phone I choose I have to change my data plan to an LTE version, which is apparently enough to kill the A-list feature on the account according to the website. Is upgrading a phone actually going to remove A-list, or can I get someone to keep it since I am not changing the voice plan and am not even really changing the data plan?

edit: vvv The family plan has an $30 unlimited messaging for all lines option split over 5 lines. Not that this really matters all that much since I think the account has like 20,000 rollover minutes because of A-list, and I think I used 5 non-M2M minutes this month, but its the principal I guess, and it isn't my account.

Another question, The phone I want is $100 cheaper on Amazon than on ATT. If I upgrade through Amazon (who forces you to select a 300m/3g/5g data plan) can I get ATT to switch me back onto the unlimited plan or do I need to pay the $100 + sales tax to buy it from ATT?

Check Best Buy, they might still be selling the phone for $150. Otherwise, order through amazon at your own risk, and store reps def would just tell you you are SOL if you lose unlimited data because of Amazon.

And yeah, you might lose A list but you have unlimited cell phone calling so that should be fine.

Oh, and if you aren't the account holder make sure you are listed as an authorized user before you go into an ATT store, we can't look up anything if you aren't listed as authorized to make changes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hackedaccount posted:

A little help for a cell phone idiot please.

I would like a Galaxy S4 Active but I want to use it on T-Mobile. I asked the guy at the T-Mobile store if they were going to get them and he thinks the Active model is probably an AT&T exclusive.

Can I buy a Galaxy S4 active from AT&T with no plan? If so, will it work on T-Mobile's network?

Yeah, it's ATT exclusive so I doubt it would be worth it. May I recommend a Galaxy S4 with a lifeproof case (assuming they make those).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I provably sgouldnt cause the thread to have a long debate over it, but if any ATT reps here are interested in having a good Google hangouts chat on the current changes at ATT, PM me your gmail.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

Current changes at AT&T?

Huge change in commission. In a nutshell employees starting next month only get paid for revenue increases.

Ex 1: Someone upgrades, same plan, buys no accessories: I make like $0.50.

Ex 2: customer upgrades, adds xx plan for $10, a case and a Beats by Dr Dre Pillbox. I make a bajillion dollars.

I can't bitch now though, I am now the only person in my store to sell a Digital Life Home Security system (the pressure to sell the things is crazy). I'm untouchable for at least 2 months.

Anyway, sorry about the derail. Honestly people will live with the pay changes, just a lot of drama.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

I do understand lowering the pay on example one...but it shouldn't be like, 50 cents. Sometimes we are saving opps.

Amen to that, but I doubt higher ups care. There are a whole bunch of people that literally won't do anything for us. For better or worse.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

Can I just call someone then?

Probably that's fine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh....

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/16/4528404/att-next-phone-upgrade-plans-a-huge-ripoff

The confusion these plans will cause will be so much fun to work with.

On another note, I enjoy the irony that TMobile launches a big goal of "let's get rid of contracts" and the end result 6 months later is that 3 of the 4 carriers, including TMo, are starting programs to allow customers renew their contract every 6 months.

Basically, contracts just aren't going away in America because Americans are horrified of paying more than $199 for a phone (or for many, more than $0.99).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

You dont have to get a contract on any of the carriers as far as i know.

Except that for any of the payment plans you are immediately liable for the amount remaining if you cancel before the end of it. And they all def still run credit checks to qualify who can get the plans/promotions.

If I'm missing something let me know, but to my eyes they are just changing around words that still up to the definition of "contract."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fyi the AT&T $100 trade in is getting killed July 25 (likely due to the new Next programs). Quite a bummer, so anyone looking to upgrade now is the time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Att will auto provision data. No idea which plan these days. But my guess is which ever is the small one.

I'm pretty sure on the nation plans (non mobile share) it provisions the 3GB plan because it's just a lot safer than the 300MB plan, especially for an auto provision where there customer might not be aware of the details.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lblitzer posted:

Not only is the 300mb an incredibly bad deal but it's a huge cash cow because people can go through that in just a couple days if they're not careful, only to be charged another $15 for 300mb more of data. I would have a hard time believing that AT&T wouldn't want to cash in on that.

To be fair, the company isn't stupid, and the flip side to it is that people burn through it fast, call up and just get the overages credited anyway. Far as I can tell they prefer people on the 3GB plan because it's a guaranteed extra $10 a month. That's what they strongly encourage us to tell people to get anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

I'm not sure exactly what it is (he said it cost $79, not that it matters), but it's definitely Android. I used it myself. He's hung up on the fact that 1) the last one didn't get a data plan added. I'm saying that was a mistake, and probably should have had a data plan added. and 2) that the box/manual doesn't say it needs a data plan

Have I mentioned that he's insane? Because he is.

Yeah, for better or worse the rules apply to him whether he wants them to or not, and something silly like a rule not being on the box won't fly. He got the Ascend II most likely, I think that's the one selling at that price. Either way, it's a piece of poo poo phone and does require data.

Basically, you should get a divorce, or murder her father. There can only be one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

corkskroo posted:

The point is I have a feeling it can't be unlocked unless it's been activated for 90 days, I think. It sounds like it won't work... or are they just saying that? That's the question I guess...

They are saying they won'y give you an unlock.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

corkskroo posted:

Right. I'm sorry, maybe I'm thick but are they saying THEY won't GIVE me an unlock or that an unlock CANNOT work? Ie, if the ebay people give me one will it work? Or is the whole ebay thing based on someone basically going and doing the exact same thing that I just tried to do?

If you get a code off eBay it should unlock it. Never a guarantee, but eBay has purchase protection so I'd say it's a pretty safe way to go.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SirSigma posted:

And all the phones were working except for the Blackberry Z10, which seemed to be dying of poor sales and no one wanting it.

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yoda posted:

So a question regarding upgrades and Next, the fine print says you are not eligible for next until you are eligible for a standard upgrade, and standard upgrades are no longer being offered until 24 months, correct? I ask because the only reason I'm still with ATT is because I've received upgrades at 18 months, my last one being in august of last year, and if I have to wait until my contract expires to be eligible for any substantial upgrade (thus no etf) I'll be cancelling for sure.

Looks like you will be cancelling, if you upgraded a year ago you will have to wait the full 24 months.