Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

SeaborneClink posted:

AT&T has not yet followed Verizon in forcing people off unlimited when they upgrade, although I would expect it to happen within the next 12 months. You'll be fine.

IIRC, AT&T prides themselves on having the most plan choices and not forcing customers into new plans. So I would be surprised if they did that since we're all about WTR right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Ugh, wtf...double post. Sorry.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

booshi posted:

Two weeks ago I upgraded from an iPhone 5 (having been on an iPhone since the 3G) to a Galaxy S4. Data plan didn't change (grandfathered iPhone unlimited).

I'm just going to update the FAQ.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

ATT doesn't have repair centers. Try calling Samsung.

Oh and hey everyone, remember when Verizon changed upgrades to a full 24 months? ATT is following suit. If you agreement expires after march 1st 2014 you will have to wait 4 to 5 more months. Can't say I'm surprised.

I saw that. It was the worst day of my life. I can't bother to do the math, but there will be a period of 4 months where its going to be "I'm sorry, you aren't eligible yet..." and just, no opps.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Right before Christmas this year too. Upgrades won't matter much for us after this summer anyway, theyre changing the structure.

Fyi it seems it's already in the system, upgrades that are affected already show that their upgrade is exactly 2 years later.

Yeah I checked mine today. I was pushed.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

All rumors are that they are going to move away from having opps as part of our commission and it will be replaced by more new line focused. A recent rumor is they night increase accy payout as well to balance it out, but that is def a rumor. Revenue in upgrades is rumored to still count at least.

This is for northeast ish area fyi, although I would imagine it would be leaning that way in many areas. The higher ups keep saying august.

What I have been told is that you are paid out on increasing someones bill. So if you do an upgrade with no change, no payout. I can only imagine this being a lovely customer experience...

Now for a story.

So today, I had a customer come in asking to lower his bill. Fine. I find application subscriptions. Immediately loses his poo poo!

:argh: "How long have I been paying for this poo poo?"
:) "I don't know sir, it only shows me up to 2 months." Meanwhile, I'm not about to go through every one of his bills to figure it out.
:argh: "Get me the contact information for these companies. I can't believe YOU have been charging me for years for BS."
:) "Well sir, I haven't charged you for anything. The applications used us as a billing provider. We are not making any money off of this."
:argh: "That's bull poo poo and you know it."
:) "Sir I really need you to calm down."

Pretty typical for a customer who had application subscriptions. But then it got really interesting.

:argh: "How many lines do I have on my account?"
:) "Three."
:argh: "What do you mean 3???"
:) "Well, there are three lines. [List of phone numbers]"
:argh: "I canceled [line 3] many years ago!!!"

Going back through the account notes, I find out that the third line is an air card. He was having trouble with it and requested it be canceled without ETF. Customer care said no and offered to help him get it working again. They tried a software update which fixed most of the problems. Customer was satisfied. A couple of months later, the customer calls in again. Mind you, this is August 2010.

:phoneb: "Customer called in requesting line ending in xxxx be canceled without ETF. Customer is upset that data card is getting only 2 bars of service. Offered to cancel line with an ETF. Customer refused and demanded that it be canceled without ETF or else all the lines would be canceled. Educated customer that we can not cancel without ETF. Escalated to supervisor"

:phoneb: Supervisor note "Customer is requesting line ending in xxxx be canceled without etf. Educated we cannot cancel without ETF. Changed rate plan to lowest rate so they may cancel at a later time without ETF. Customer agreed to rate plan change. Customer agreed to call in when the contact is expired to cancel."

Which brings us to today. I told him what happened as far as the notes are concerned. He doesn't believe me. So I go to the back and call customer service.

:phone: "So the customer is upset that he purchased an air card from us in 2010 which he also requested be canceled in August of 2010. I went over the notes and he spoke with a supervisor who agreed with him to lower the rate to $30 a month and he would cancel when it was over. Apparently he was not aware of this arrangement and thought it was canceled in 2010. Now I am not trying to be rude when saying this...but I feel like he should have noticed this on this bill for the past 3 years and shouldn't be upset now."
:phoneb: "Let me get this straight, he wants a credit for 32 months of service?"
:phone: "Yes. But I am certainly not asking for one."
:phoneb: "*loooonnnnggg pause* Ok you can put him on but I can tell you that he isn't getting anything so just be prepared for that."

So I put him on. He eventually gets too pissed to talk to them and puts his wife on. He then starts talking to myself and my coworker. Think "big black buy" when you think of my coworker.

:argh: "I don't understand why YOU aren't doing anything for me."
:) "You just have to give me time sir. I have to get up to speed and figure this out."
:itjb: "He only has so much power. He has to find a solution to the problem before he can do anything."
And of course, the wife responds.
:ssh: "You know if there is nothing you can do, you can just shut up and go away."

I have never seen him SO ANGRY, and all he did was twitch his eye. He went to the back office because if they said another thing to him, he probably would've sent them to the hospital. After he left, once again, the customer turns his attention to me. But now he did the math and figured out hes spent nearly $1000 in the past year. At this point I feel like he just doesn't want help.

:argh: "So you scammed me!:
:) "Sir I did no such thing. I didn't know you even existed until today, much less did I work for this company 3 years ago. So I don't know what to tell you at this point."
:argh: *places a single finger upon my lips* "Honey, if he doesn't shut up, I will literally tear him into two."

So now there is a verbal threat against me and I am officially on full scale :fuckoff:. I have personally never had a customer threaten me or touch me, so I wasn't sure if asking him to leave would lose my job. I send a quick two second email to my manager asking if I will lose my job if I tell someone to leave. He responds, "If you feel unsafe, tell them to leave."

:colbert: "Sir, we take threats seriously. You need to leave."
:argh: "I want to cancel first."
:colbert: "You can take that up with customer care. You need to leave now or I will be calling the cops."

I have never seen :itjb: truly angry before. But now I know. Also that was the closest thing to :bigblackguy: SA has...

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 11, 2013

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

AppleCobbler posted:

Now, I'm not trying to be an internet tough guy, but how do you not respond with violence there? I bartended for a few years and a couple of times people got like that and I reacted by shoving and once grabbed a guy by the throat and physically moved him out the door. I realize it's not the same environment but I feel like at that point, you've been as nice as possible and explained things fully, and he goes out of his way to belittle you and then threatens you AND initiates contact with your face in a threatening manner? At that point, I'm amazed you were even able to think about running it by the manager via email.

If I wasn't at work, that would be different. I was too concerned about losing my job for kicking a customer out.

Oh, there was an account note left. I'll summarize it.

"Customer called in complaining about a line they thought they canceled three years ago. Customer wanted a full refund for the past three years of service. Educated customer there has been usage on the line for the past three years and the bill has clearly stated the line was in service. No refund will be issued."

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Vinlaen posted:

Has anybody voluntarily switched off an unlimited data plan?

I'm using an iPhone 5 with grandfathered unlimited data, but I want to be able to tether. I did jailbreak in the past to get "free" tethering but once I hit 5 GB they throttled me to EDGE speed which is almost unusable.

So... if they throttle at 5 GB, what's the point of keeping "unlimited" data?

I'm thinking about switching to the $50/month 5 GB plan which includes tethering (because the mobile shared plan is much more expensive for me and my wife)

If you have multiple lines, look at mobile share. It's worth it.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Vinlaen posted:

Here's what I currently have:
code:
Primary Line
=============
FamilyTalk 700 = $60.00
Data Unlimited = $30.00

Second Line
===========
FamilyTalk 700  =  $9.99
DataPlus 200 MB = $15.00

Total is $94 after 23% discount on primary line.
If I switch to the Mobile Share plan:
code:
6 GB Shared   = $90
First iPhone  = $35
Second iPhone = $35

Total is $139 after 23% discount on 6 GB price only.
So... my options are an extra $15/month for the 5 GB tethering plan, or an extra $45/month for the mobile shared plan...

Do you not have texting?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
What does everyone think of Digital Life? My manager wants me to sell 3 this month. I couldn't help but literally laugh in his face.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Anti-Hero posted:

Check the last sentence of my first paragraph. I have, and he ignores it. He's an rear end in a top hat.

Change your number, enable smart limits, or tell him to STFU again. Unfortunately that's all I got. Like I said, reps have no way to block numbers without smart limits.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Just to let everyone know, AT&T will be waiving activation fees for the rest of the month. Pay attention to the siren question if you just activated before this.

AT&T Internal Memo posted:

AT&T will waive the $36 activation fee when customers activate a new line of service.

All customers activating a new line of service between Saturday, June 22, 2013, and Sunday, June 30, 2013, can take advantage of a waived activation fee. This offer is valid on all new activations including phones, tablets, wireless home phone, USB modem, and Mobile Hotspot devices, and can be combined with any existing promotion.

FAQs
How is the activation fee waived for customers?
There is no action required. The activation fee will automatically be waived.

What will show up on customers' bill?
Customers will see a $36 Activation fee followed by a $36 Activation Fee credit on their first monthly bill.

Will the activation fee show up on the CSS?
No, the activation fee will not show up on customers’ CSS.

Is this offer available on upgrade fees as well?
No, only activation fees are eligible for this offer.

:siren:Are customers within their BRE period eligible to take advantage of this offer? :siren:
While this offer is only available between June 22, 2013, and June 30, 2013, sellers should ensure they are following The Customer Rules. Sellers should see their manager for further guidance.

Is a two-year contract required?
No, this offer is valid on any new activation.

Is there a limit to the number of waived activation fees?
Customers activating more than one line of service will receive a waived activation fee for each new line.

Are IRU/CRU/EMO activations included in this offer?
Yes, customers activating a new IRU/CRU/EMO line of service can take advantage of this offer.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

KingKapalone posted:

Why even bother with the trade-in if you can just do it online and still get the 50% off? Am I misunderstanding something?

No you are not. It's stupid. All it does is hurt us in stores.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Could be worse. You could be one of the positions getting cut (hooray for restructures).

That was a funny email...I felt really bad for our SSR.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I'm on an old family plan that still has A-List on all of the lines. I want to upgrade from an iPhone 4S. Whichever phone I choose I have to change my data plan to an LTE version, which is apparently enough to kill the A-list feature on the account according to the website. Is upgrading a phone actually going to remove A-list, or can I get someone to keep it since I am not changing the voice plan and am not even really changing the data plan?

edit: vvv The family plan has an $30 unlimited messaging for all lines option split over 5 lines. Not that this really matters all that much since I think the account has like 20,000 rollover minutes because of A-list, and I think I used 5 non-M2M minutes this month, but its the principal I guess, and it isn't my account.

Another question, The phone I want is $100 cheaper on Amazon than on ATT. If I upgrade through Amazon (who forces you to select a 300m/3g/5g data plan) can I get ATT to switch me back onto the unlimited plan or do I need to pay the $100 + sales tax to buy it from ATT?

AT&T will not change you back to unlimited. And do unlimited messaging. Unlimited calling to any US cellphone.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, and if you aren't the account holder make sure you are listed as an authorized user before you go into an ATT store, we can't look up anything if you aren't listed as authorized to make changes.

THIS, is going in the OP.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Huge change in commission. In a nutshell employees starting next month only get paid for revenue increases.

Ex 1: Someone upgrades, same plan, buys no accessories: I make like $0.50.

Ex 2: customer upgrades, adds xx plan for $10, a case and a Beats by Dr Dre Pillbox. I make a bajillion dollars.

I can't bitch now though, I am now the only person in my store to sell a Digital Life Home Security system (the pressure to sell the things is crazy). I'm untouchable for at least 2 months.

Anyway, sorry about the derail. Honestly people will live with the pay changes, just a lot of drama.

I do understand lowering the pay on example one...but it shouldn't be like, 50 cents. Sometimes we are saving opps.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

KingKapalone posted:

Can I just call someone then?

Sometimes, depending on how long you have had your sim card, you need to get a new LTE compatible one. But try calling and see if it works.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

KingKapalone posted:

My SIM is 3 years old, so I need a new one.

Most likely you need a new one. Definitely if you have one that says "3G."

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
From the internal desk of AT&T...

quote:

On July 26, 2013, AT&T will be introducing a new program that changes the wireless industry and provides customers with more choices when it comes to getting the latest and greatest devices from AT&T. It is called AT&T Next and it is a new way to get a new device every year.
With AT&T Next, customers pay no down payment, no activation or upgrade fees and no financing fees. Customers are only responsible for sales tax at time of purchase. Consumer and IRU customers, who qualify, can now take advantage of buying a new smartphone or tablet through monthly installment payments.
For customers who recently signed a new two-year agreement, AT&T has extended the Buyer’s Remorse Policy from July 1, 2013 - August 9, 2013. The purchase date must be July 1, 2013 - July 26, 2013, and must be completed at a COR store. Customers will need to return to point of purchase to take advantage of AT&T Next before signing up at a Company Owned Retail Store.
COR Locations in the West Region (excluding Hawaii/Alaska) will launch AT&T Next early on July 18, 2013. AT&T Next will be available in Local Dealer locations at a later date.

Ask any questions you have. AT&T setup a giant FAQ for us regarding the program.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi the AT&T $100 trade in is getting killed July 25 (likely due to the new Next programs). Quite a bummer, so anyone looking to upgrade now is the time.

Killing it just in time for AT&T next. I'm working on an OP edit for Next. There's a lot to cover.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
OP updated with prepaid, and AT&T Next info. Enjoy!

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Sticky posted:

Just a quick note. The ability to match prices is decided on a regional level. So my region does not allow any price matching of any kind. So we can't match att.com or any of the national retailers in our area.

Edited to reflect that.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Siroc posted:

I'm researching Uverse for my Mom. Does the service come in through the phone wire? The AT&T store said our area is already wired for fiber. Does the AT&T guy just plug it into a phone cord, make sure it works with a device, then leave?

Do they ever have any deals to decrease the $200 installation fee?

They occasionally have installation fee deals. But I'll let someone in a wired market answer.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I had an oddly quick and friendly call and the charges are gone. I am a bit shocked, but happy.

The poor guy insisted it was a mistake that can happen when you are near a border and connect to a tower in another country. I tried to explain I was definitely in the UK and not just inside some theoretical US border with the UK, but oh well. :p

He is reading a script as most people in your situation are complaining about Canada roaming. But I'm glad he took care of it.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SeaborneClink posted:

The Virgin Islands called, just to remind you they aren't theoretical and actually exist at $2.50/min :smugbert:

But seriously, glad you got it resolved painlessly!

Telecomically served.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cuedotcom posted:

So my non-goon friend wanted to share this with you AT&T goons. Welcome to Jacksonville, FL.

I thought 40 mbps in Pittsburgh was nice. drat!

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Gendo posted:

I'm having consistent signal problems at home. Dropped calls, no signal. If I keep (politely) complaining to support will they offer me a better deal on that Microcell?

For the cost of the device and the service I'd come out ahead breaking my contract and moving to a new carrier.

The better your tenure, the lower your history of credits, the better the chances of a lower price. Also, try a couple of cor stores. My old manager handed them out like they were candy. But now we have a new manager who is very by the book.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Gendo posted:

I'm actually in Scottsdale, AZ. Coverage here is great in some areas and non-existent in others.

I'm all for following the system and trying not to game. But if you have been a good customer thus far, just ask for a discount. Be like, "Listen, I've been a customer for a couple of years. I like you guys but I have been having service issues. Is there anything you can do to lower the price of that microcell?"

When I said that they knocked $100 off. That seemed fair to me at the time. But if your service used to be great but then dropped, try pushing a little harder to get it free. That's what I would do IMHO.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Just so everyone knows.

quote:

:siren:AWWWWW poo poo SON!!!:siren:

AT&T IS OFFICIALLY BETTER THAN VERIZON!!!*in regards to a study completed by JD Power and Associates ranking Overall Customer Care Satisfaction

This is in reference to this link. http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/02/jd-power-wireless-customer-care-survey/

I'm just a little giddy.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

obeyasia posted:

I like to think of it as "less awful" than Verizon.

I'm actually in a big argument with Verizon at the moment. I don't want a credit, I don't want special treatment. I just wanted an apology for the way a rep treated me on the phone. She actually told me a rate increase was "purely so Verizon can profit off of you."

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

myron cope posted:

When AT&T throttles unlimited data, do they always send a text message? My (android) app downloads are crawling recently (slow as poo poo downloads and often failing altogether) and they never have before. Although maybe it's somehow Google related? My usage so far in this cycle is ~4.3GB.

Also while trying to see how much data I've used this cycle, I saw this when I clicked on details next to my data plan:
:confused: Is this the right plan for my Nexus 4? Also, what the hell is a "Gold List"

What are you reading from that you see gold list?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

It coats money to check your voicemail. If you turn your phone on and receive a text message you are def charged for that. Data is only needed for picture messages and I would recommend leaving it off.

AT&T has an International number you can call if you need to add a lower rate to your plan (I think its in the OP).

Actually, receiving texts goes against your domestic plan. :) AT&T knows you can refuse a call, not use data, and not send texts. However there is nothing you can do when you receive a text. I know it sounds like I'm lying since they dont care about domestic texts received and will still charge you for that. To reassure you, here is a quote from MyCSP.

quote:

Text messages received by a customer while roaming internationally are rated as domestic messages, The received text messages are rated according to the customers domestic messaging package. If the customer does not have a domestic messaging package, domestic PPU rates apply.

Also that international care number, which is a free call no matter what part of the world you are in, is 1-916-843-4685.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SirSigma posted:

Yeah, I'd say AT&T has done a fairly good job rolling out LTE in a timely fashion. They don't seem to have the massive head start Verizon has, but considering I switched to AT&T in April and that my market got LTE about two weeks after, I'd say they're doing quite a good job.

From what I have seen, AT&T likes to not necessarily build it first and fast, but build it so it is fast and right.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ADTerminal posted:

I just stumbled upon this thread by chance and couldn't help but notice the price plans in the US for phones are loving insane. Why is this?

In the UK, I pay £26 ($40 or so) monthly for an iPhone 4S, with unlimited data, texts, and 100 minutes, and there was no up front cost for my phone either.

How the gently caress do people in the US afford communication? :smith:

Because monopolies are illegal but oligopolies are legal. That and because Americans are perfectly willing to pay it.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Honestly, you just have to decide for yourself if its worth it. Tbh, most people, not really worth it.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

b0nes posted:

Is my math correct?

Other than leaving out the upgrade fee in the two year scenario, yes you are correct. But it's all in how you look at it.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Rent posted:

I really need a Microcell as well, and I don't feel like begging customer service for one. They probably don't give a gently caress, since I'm on ANR.

Is it pretty simple to buy a used microcell? I see some going for about $50-80

Go to a COR store and level with them. My manager seems to be receptive to that. Go towards the end of the month too. They might have spare discounting to use.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Avalanche posted:

So I have a weird network issue.

A few days ago my HTC One decided to constantly drop signal. It now refuses to connect to anything aside from Edge and GPRS. I thought it might be due to some kind of network outage, but it is now day 4 and I am not so sure. What will happen is the phone will constantly switch between 'E' and 'G', and will often drop a signal completely for 5-10min when the data connection is used at all.

I used to have perfect reception and no issues connecting or using 4G lte.

What might be causing this? ATT network? Busted phone? Busted sim card?

Most network issues are sim card related. Get it switched and see what happens. If that doesn't work, go to your local Device Support Center or call warrenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

b0nes posted:

I ended up getting one for $100. Not free, but certainly cheaper than the $200 they were gonna charge me.
Edit: Actually they will give me a $100 credit on my account after I purchase one for $200 in store.

Better than nothing.

bigtom posted:

Just got a Myfi Liberate to use while Sprint fixes their awful network. Very happy so far - device arrived a day before it was supposed do. Working great out of the box with LTE coverage great, even in indoors (beating out Verizon even) here in New Bern NC.

Would recommend AT&T to anyone at this point. Nice to use a smartphone as a smartphone again...

Glad to hear! Let us know if you have any questions.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 24, 2013