Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Arn't there ebay sellers that will unlock GSM iphones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Sobriquet posted:

Is there any way to swap my AT&T number with my Google Voice number without breaking my AT&T contract? Would it be easier to do between upgrades or something? I have another 1.5 years on my contract, I think.

I've read google voice has a pretty good delay with number porting.
So people put int he request with google voice then immediately change their phone number and google voice still grabs the old number.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

poemdexter posted:

According to the ATT website, my wife and I are not eligible for upgrades until November. I really want to get off this iphone and go to an android device. Am I pretty much stuck until November or can I renew early relatively easily/cheaply?

Pay full price or buy used.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The website still takes them so mail it in.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

I want to use my upgrade to get a phone I can sell on ebay since I just bought the Google SGS4. Any tips on which one has best (new in box) resell value between iPhone 5, S4, HTC One? Looks like the i5 and S4 are about the same on the completed ebay listings. Anyone know of a site where I can view averages?

Also, I thought upgrades were $200, but I can get them for $100 plus the upgrade fee of $36 (and I assume tax).

If you can swing it you should wait for the 5s.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

hackedaccount posted:

Can I buy a Galaxy S4 active from AT&T with no plan? If so, will it work on T-Mobile's network?

You would have to get AT&T to unlock it which they do not unless you are a subscriber for x days i believe.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AppleCobbler posted:

So I can get a new GS4 for free, not the $200 subsidized pricing (assuming you trade in the phone)?

plus $32/m and tax on the full (non subsidized) amount.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AppleCobbler posted:

The language seems to insinuate that if I get the phone and then pay off that (32/mo * 12 = $384) before the 12 months is up, I can come in and trade the phone and get a new one with no money down again.

Like I could pay off the GS4 in 2 months, then in the third month come into the store and say, hey, let me get an iPhone 5 and they'll take my GS4 and I'll start off on payments again for that. Is this correct?

You have to wait 12 months. Or if you dont trade your phone in you have the payments for 20 months. So the phone is $640 plus tax if you decide to keep it.

quote:

Step 1: Choose any one of our latest smartphones or tablets.
You only pay taxes up front and there's no down payment or
activation fee.

Step 2: A low monthly installment plan is added to your bill.

Step 3: Any time after 12 months, you may trade in your device
for a brand new one! Or choose to keep the device and, after
20 months, no more installment payments are required.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You dont have to get a contract on any of the carriers as far as i know.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Except that for any of the payment plans you are immediately liable for the amount remaining if you cancel before the end of it. And they all def still run credit checks to qualify who can get the plans/promotions.

If I'm missing something let me know, but to my eyes they are just changing around words that still up to the definition of "contract."

You dont have to get a payment plan. You can bring your own phone to any of the providers or buy one outright and sign up with no contract.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Makkari posted:

Sprint still doesn't offer a no contract option, even if you bring your own phone.

Wow, thats some poo poo right there.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

I got a new SIM card activated so I can get LTE on my new Google Edition S4, but I'm still not getting it. I'm replacing my iPhone 4 with this. Do I need to do something else to get 4G? I think my data plan says it's "iPhone Data" or something. Is that limiting me?

Is there LTE in your area?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

corkskroo posted:

Well, for those who have been on the edge of their seat waiting to hear how my unlock goes... Apparently the phone needs to be "activated" for at least 90 days before they can unlock it. Has anyone ever heard of that? It's looking like my options are to activate it for 90 days just so I can unlock it (which would cost $30 a month, so kind of not ideal in pursuit of a free phone) or just port my number over to AT&T and activate it there and keep it there (without a contract, so pretty good.) I just want to make sure I get good AT&T coverage where I work (I remember some people saying it was bad but that was a while ago...) But before I do any of that, does this sound right? Anyone ever encounter this? I suspect it's right. Thanks.

Buy an unlock off eBay?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol yeah, sometimes manufacturers will offer discounts or whatever to reps because if the reps have a Samsung phone, usually more Samsung phones get sold. HTC specifically used to be really big on promos like this.

But that’s amazing if it doesn’t verify employment (usually stuff like that you need to use your work email for or get an invite).

It also stacks with unidays and ebates

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Call att. See if they will give you a deal. If not (do not cancel service yet) then go to tmobile and port your lines. It will automatically cancel your att account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I feel so dirty signing up for AT&T fiber but selling your soul to the devil for gigabit up and down is worth it