Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Is AT&T still giving the primary line upgrades earlier than 20 months based on some arbitrary combination of plan cost, customer loyalty, and planetary alignment? Or did they follow Verizon's lead and kill that promotion as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Sobriquet posted:

Is there any way to swap my AT&T number with my Google Voice number without breaking my AT&T contract? Would it be easier to do between upgrades or something? I have another 1.5 years on my contract, I think.
I was very satisfied using Sprint Google Voice integration since it became available, where your Sprint number is shared and becomes your Google Voice number. Then, I ported my # to Google Voice to close my Sprint account. It was very unreliable, and Google provides zero support other than their FAQ. MMS doesn't work. Calls would go to voicemail after 1 or 2 rings (though the caller would hear 4-5), or none at all. Outgoing calls and texts would occasionally come from my "invisible" number rather than my GVoice number. And the iOS GVoice app is terrible.

Porting in took a little more than 24 hours--longer than mobile phone porting usually takes. Porting out takes 3-5 days, and the backend company that holds your GVoice number sometimes rejects the port request.

I didn't have to pay the $3 to port it back out, fortunately. I've been in touch with Google Wallet/Checkout to try and contact Google Voice to demand a refund of the $20 port fee. Even Wallet support didn't have a phone or email contact info for Voice.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

CharlesM posted:

Well that's still good for me. But if you know somebody who spends 11 months in Europe would T-mobile just kick you off for plan abuse?

Yes. T-Mobile says that their free foreign roaming is not meant for extended travel periods and that the majority of your time needs to be spent in the US.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
A friend is travelling to England with his iPhone on AT&T and is looking for solutions for calling and data while he's there.

The built in Wifi Calling will allow him to make free calls back to the US with his own number when on wifi, but cheap roaming or a local SIM would be better.

AT&T's international Passport plans are a joke, so roaming is right out. Too bad they haven't gone the route of T-Mobile and Sprint in negotiating international roaming deals.

I'm still waiting for confirmation that he's out of contract to request a SIM unlock. If not, is AT&T in the habit of providing unlocks for loyal customers travelling internationally, whether its an international only (not domestic) SIM unlock, a temporary SIM unlock, or an exception to their usual unlocking requirements?