Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
I'd like to use a custom SIM while in Asia, AT&T won't unlock my phone till my 2 years are up. Any way around this?

Medikit fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
Anyone have much success with the at&t recycle program? The top button on my iphone 4s does not work but I was hoping I could recycline it to AT&T. My other option would be replacing it for $199 and then selling the replacement.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Duckman2008 posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo. Deal with it, or switch providers, or whatever.

Seriously though, freakishly low pings are awesome. <30ms is the sweet spot.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

obeyasia posted:

The latter option is much better. Although, look for an independent repair place. Got one in town that will fix a button for $40 parts and labor.

So as a follow up I sold it for $150 here on SA. They will repair it and use it themselves. I think I really need to learn how to repair these phones as it may save me money in the long run.

Ultimately I actually received a total of $450 for my iPhone as I received a $299 refund from AMEX's extended warranty dept.

And now I have a beautiful iPhone 5.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Rent posted:

Off topic, but how painful was that procedure? I've yet to have to make a claim.

I put in a request on Sunday. Submitted electronically, it was fairly easy and took less than 15 minutes. I received a quick e-mail confirming my submission and an update the following day. On Wednesday via e-mail I received a confirmation that my request was accepted and that same day a $299 credit was issued to my AMEX card. So basically the process took 3 days and I did not have to talk to a single human.

The only downside is that the phone obviously costs more than $299 so it was pretty ideal that I was ready for a new phone on my AT&T account.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

poemdexter posted:

According to the ATT website, my wife and I are not eligible for upgrades until November. I really want to get off this iphone and go to an android device. Am I pretty much stuck until November or can I renew early relatively easily/cheaply?

If you threaten to quit and play chicken with AT&T they will probably give you a discount on your current service which you can use to fund an android phone purchase.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
Any word on when we can expect HD Voice from AT&T? I've been looking forward to this feature.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Rent posted:

I really need a Microcell as well, and I don't feel like begging customer service for one. They probably don't give a gently caress, since I'm on ANR.

Is it pretty simple to buy a used microcell? I see some going for about $50-80

I had 0 luck getting a free microcell but I was able to get a rebate towards one.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

skipdogg posted:

I work with some folks in the UK, and sometimes folks in Europe have a hard time realizing just how large the US is. Great Britain itself is a little smaller than the State of Oregon. If you put 60 Million people in Oregon things like public transportation and dense telecommunications become much easier to achieve at a lower price. Oregon has about 4 million people in it right now for comparison.

I took a road trip this summer from where I live in San Antonio, TX to visit family in Kansas. My UK co-workers couldn't really contemplate somewhere taking 11 hours to reach by car. The equivalent drive in Europe is Paris, France to Madrid, Spain. I don't think much of it, I'm just crossing through a single state to get there.

City people tend to have the same problem. When I was working in NYC my co-workers were shocked that I was planning to drive back home to North Carolina. In one day!

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
How long does it take to unlock your phone after you cancel your account and pay your Early Termination Fee?

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

c0ldfuse posted:

And in a complete change of plans after talking to some people, I'm going to buy the Moto X straight up and stay off contract.

What do I need to do with AT&T? Anything? Can I just drop in my current SIM since it's an unlocked phone?

You're going to love the Moto X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
It's been a year and still no HDvoice:
http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml