Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
What are the odds At&t would allow me to get a fully discounted upgrade 4 months early? Right now I have an early iphone discount which is worthless to me and not much of a discount anyway, but I'd like to move back to an LTE phone (Probably HTC One or S4) in the next month or so. I'd purchased an Original Note on contract over a year ago and then sold it to continue using a Galaxy Nexus. I really just don't want to pay off contract pricing from At&t. I've had service with them for 10 years too. My friends on Sprint and VZ seems to get some type of loyalty discount crap if they've had the contract long enough and are in good bill standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah those with the 450/unlimited data plans should never get rid of it or gently caress with it. Ever.

Does next mess with this or something?

I have 450/Unlimited grandfathered account and I switched to Next-12 back in January and I still have unlimited data etc. Only difference is my monthly cost went from around $97 after taxes to $120 factoring the monthly phone cost or whatever.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Can someone tell me what the monthly cost would be for a family share plan with the following options, I can't find anywhere on the At&t site where I can price out a plan, everything is just giving me options as if I am an existing customer even though I am not logged in.

2 lines @ 450 rollover minutes
Unlimited texting
10GB data shared

I'm currently on a single line Next12 plan with 450 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data (old school) and I am paying ~$135 a month (around $99 after 12 months is up I guess) Don't really need to keep Next account if I change to a 2 line plan though, I generally never buy subsidized phones unless I am selling them off immediately.

Edit: NM I found it finally. Setup on the site is terrible.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 29, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So I am trying to upgrade my phone through the website. I am on Next12... anyway I get to the plan feature selections and select the options which look like the existing ones on my account, but then get hit with this popup that says,

The new service you selected isn't compatible with existing service(s) on your account. Also, this new service isn't as comprehensive as your existing service(s) and may result in higher charges. Please confirm your selection below to continue.

Note: Multi-Device Protection Pack can cover up to three devices. If you remove this feature from your account and select a new feature, you will only have protection for a single device.

Keep my existing feature(s):
Unlimited data for 4G LTE Smartphones w/Visual Voice Mail (on account)

Remove my existing feature(s) and select this new feature:
Data Unlimited for LTE Personal w/Unlimited MSG

It doesn't make sense for 2 reasons, 1. I don't have any device protection that I am aware of. 2. If I select "keep my existing feature(s) for unlimited Data and hit continue it just goes back to the feature select page for me to select things again. Right now I have unlimited msg and unlimited data w/ VVM as two options. Is this feature set just gone and I should select Data Unlimited for LTE personal w/ Unlimited MSG option (it's the same price, just combined together)? When I went beyond this screen, removing what I have and adding the combined one as I mentioned it then shows my calling plan as 450min with no rollover. Right now it's 450 w/ Rollover and Unlimited night/weekend which doesn't seem to be an option anywhere.

Should I just say gently caress the website and go to the At&t store or am I completely missing something here?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Beefstorm posted:

If you don't mind calling me, I can just do the order for you.

Otherwise yeah, just go into a store.

Thanks for the offer, think I'll probably just go deal with the store workers (><) after the phone actually comes out next week. I don't really need the upgrade, but it's the same price my company pays for my line now so why not

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So given the apparent shortage of GS6 Edge devices already. Can I walk into an At&t store today, switch my plan to mobile share value with 2 lines, and 2 new GS6's and then port the second line over from VZ tomorrow? My gf is moving from verizon to my account on At&t, but she can't come to the store with me until tomorrow. Of course, she's an iphone junky, but says she wants to switch if I say so, but I'd rather her at least hold the phone etc. The problem is they may not have any in stock tomorrow. Don't even know if they have any now honestly.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Beefstorm posted:

Honestly, it's day two and we haven't sold a single galaxy so far. I have no idea how.

I went in and was able to secure one easily. Friday at the store the rep told me he sold about 30 units between the Edge and Regular S6 right when their store opened at 9am, but I was the first person after that to come in around noon. They definitely don't have the gold version which actually looks more chrome than gold and was actually going to be my choice, sadly they had no idea when it was coming in. They apparently got over 100 units shipped in for the launch though.

Saturday when I actually did the upgrade was interesting. It was amazing how little the reps at the store knew about the phone or even Android in general. The guy working with us even had the Edge as his personal phone and was using a Note Edge for his work device. I'm pretty sure when I left he knew a lot more about the phone and android that he could use as key selling points. Hilariously enough while I was talking with them and they were waiting for all my gf's iphone BS to transfer over a Samsung rep came in to see how the launch was going and had a mini film crew with him. He also seemed to know little about the phone and android other than Samsung specific stuff. He then asked me if I wanted to do a quick interview for a commercial Samsung was making using compiled video from "Galaxy success stories" I declined, or rather my GF did, but he gave me his card and said to call if I changed my mind.

At one point there were 3 reps around the table we were at listening to me being a nerd about Android features and things I normally do on a customization level etc. It was pretty hilarious, it's like they all switched from iphones recently and had no idea things were that different. Hell, none of them even knew what Android Wear was even though they were selling the Moto 360 in store. When I left one of them had themed his newly installed nova launcher with some avengers crap theme and was all excited. How much money do store reps make, because I am pretty sure I can sell the phones pretty well if I ever worked there. I was one of the best sales reps at Best Buy like 15 years ago at our local store because I actually knew things about computers and electronics and could explain features to customers rather than being like, "This is the new samsung, its a great phone because Samsung"

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I agree with all that, but having some knowledge of the devices you're selling would be a good start. Why wouldn't you show off the features that define the S6 edge to someone on the fence about getting one? Granted they're limited, but not knowing about how they work at all, even when you have the drat phone is pretty dumb. I could be wrong since I don't work in a sales position any more, but being knowledgeable about the devices/services you're selling is the #1 requirement of being a good salesman. I do however understand that most people coming in to the store just want a phone and will believe whatever bullshit is spewed their direction. On the plus side, the guy knew an awful lot about U-Verse and their automated home security stuff, even if he couldn't get the deadbolt demo to work.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So I randomly got a text from At&t saying my mobile data was doubled for the length of my contract, at no additional cost, is there some specific reason they did this? I don't see any reason for it and am curious.

Also, does Mobile Share Value include tethering or do I need some $30 dollar more a month bullshit?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

BeAuMaN posted:

What plan did you have exactly?

There was a shakeup where Mobile Share Data Packages were changed. Lower end packages (below 5GB) were either eliminated or upgraded, while higher end packages (5GB and above) were made larger, with 10GB now being 15GB for the same price.

Here's their ad page:
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

I'm not sure on the tethering for Mobile Share Data Packages... I thought it had to be 5GB or above to tether/hotspot/whatever bullshit for "free", but the real pro here (Duckman) could probably tell you.

I had a 6GB mobile share value and it's now 12 I guess. Although I am a little mad since we seemed to use like 3GB at most per month so I had a lot of rollover data built up that is now just gone, but I guess if I continue to only use 3GB a month the remaining 9GB rollover will be nice.

Edit: Deep in the depths of my plan details it said it includes mobile tethering, so that's nice even though I probably won't ever use that.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 27, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Three Olives posted:

Data only rolls over for one month so if they doubled you from 6GB to 12GB you will have more data now even before rollover.

Yeah, I didn't know that. That kind of makes it less appealing I guess.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I've asked in the Android thread a couple times but don't seem to be getting anywhere. I have an S6 Edge on At&t and there has been a pending OTA update for almost 3 months now. Every time I try to install it it gets to 30% and then fails and my phone comes back on telling me there was a problem with the install. I cleared it from the cache on the phone and downloaded the patch again and it still fails at 30%. It's not a pressing update. As far as I can tell it just fixes a couple minor bugs, but it's getting annoying now that it won't just install and also means I am not on a current build number which might prevent the 5.1.1 update from coming over whenever they decide to release that as well.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is or if there is another way I can force the update from a PC or something? The phone isn't rooted or anything stupid either.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Maybe a dumb question... I am on At&t Next 18 plan with 2 galaxy S6 Edge phones, I bought 2 Pixels recently and swapped the sims over and everything is working fine. Don't intend to use the S6 Edges anymore. There are 2 months left on the device installment part of the plan and obviously I don't intend on trading them in for an upgrade. What will happen to my account? Will it stay the same and just be ~66 dollars a month cheaper (edge was 33/month on the plan x 2) or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Mr. Powers posted:

They will stay on your plan until 26 months or you upgrade. Someone once told me that you could upgrade the phones and then return the new phones to cancel it out early, but I never ended up trying that personally.

So even if all installments are paid on the phone in 2 months it will continue to charge me the installment fee for 2 additional months? that makes no sense