Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm thinking about buying the Galaxy S4 from Google and using that on AT&T. My plan would be to use my upgrade to get an iPhone 5 and sell it new in box on eBay and then activate the S4. Would there be any issue regarding AT&T thinking I have an iPhone 5? I noticed that the data plan also mentions iPhone in the name, so I'm not sure if there is any problem there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

No, the data plan would be switched from the iPhone (with VVM) to android (without VVM) automatically.

Also double check the aftermarket prices on iPhone 5's vs S4 just to be sure. I didn't think iphones were worth all that much anymore, even BNIB. You might be able to get more for an AT&T S4 and buy the unlocked one after that.

I was looking at completed auctions for iPhone 5s and they were around $600. I was also amazed to see that I could sell my iPhone 4 for ~$200, leaving the S4 to be $50 if all goes to plan.

What I need to do something with a SIM card?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
It doesn't seem like the mobile share plans are worth it. We're about to upgrade my mom to a smartphone on our family plan.

We have the 700 minute plan - $70
Unlimited text - $30
Two phones (total of 4) - $20
I have 200 MB data - $15
Sister has same - $15
Dad has 300 - $20
Mom would have 300 - $20
Total - $190

Family share 6GB - $230

I'm probably upgrading to 3GB data and even if my sister and my dad do, that still matches the $230 and with 9GB of data instead of 6.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Mobile share plans won't match up as equal if lines on your account have the $15 or $20 cheaper data plan. Also, with 4 lines or more you should really just get the 10GB plan. Anyway, certainly not for everyone, but a general point that they basically matched mobile share plans to assume everyone has a 3Gb data plan.

I've only gone over once I think and my sister doesn't think she would use that much without the restriction. My parents definitely wouldn't. I'll probably upgrade and see how much I use before we do anything else.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm curious why the OP says to avoid the 300MB plan so much. I'm a techy person living in San Francisco and I only use about 150MB a month. Sure I don't stream music or watch youtube on the bus, but it seems drastic to tell everyone to avoid it. My parents living in the midwest that spend time doing what 60 year olds do are never going to get close to 300MB.

Am I just not checking instagram enough when I'm away from a computer? I look up directions when I need to, find restaurants, check sports scores, etc.

Like I said, I will probably upgrade my data when I get a new phone soon so maybe it's just a matter of switching and realizing everything I've been missing, but it's sort of sickening how much everyone sits on their phones at all times here.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Because it's a joke.

The ladies brother is like that. He barely uses a gig every month. But he's also a nerd like you/me whatever. He actively tries to stay on WiFi. Normal people don't always think of that. Then overage is a mother gently caress on those small plans. Because its another 15 bucks for another block of data.

On the flip side. I Dont use WiFi at all. I do Google music and Facebook. Some light light tethering. I use 20+ gigs a month.

So long story short. It does work for some people but even my grandmother uses more than 300 megs a month and that's just keeping up on Facebook looking at pictures of her grandkids. Its not a fair priced plan at all.

Just checked. I'm at 9 gigs. I have until the 7th of next month in this cycle. I have not tethered this month. Its all Google music.

See well that makes me worried that when I get a taste of the data, I'm going to destroy the 3GB plan, the 5GB plan or if we did a family share of 6 or 10GB I'd take it over.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

It wasn't until I had lte my data skyrocketed. On 3g I sat on 1-2 gigs tops. But I also used more local music and things because 3g here was garbage. On hspa+ I suddenly hit 5 gigs. And lte it gets crazy.

Just because it's faster so you can use more in the same amount of time? More convenient so you use it more? That's what I was thinking when I get a new phone.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Exactly. You tend you use it more because things happen drat near instantly instead of waiting 30-60 seconds for something like Facebook to load. Or endless YouTube buffering. And god forbid you want to watch it in HD because SD looks like total poo poo anymore.

So. you use it more because its not frustrating to use. And poo poo downloads faster so it just ends up using more data.

Keep your unlimited. You Dont need the overage and just tether like you are now .

I'm not the guy with unlimited. That's the other guy. I have the 200MB plan right now and my family is thinking of doing the mobile share.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I want to use my upgrade to get a phone I can sell on ebay since I just bought the Google SGS4. Any tips on which one has best (new in box) resell value between iPhone 5, S4, HTC One? Looks like the i5 and S4 are about the same on the completed ebay listings. Anyone know of a site where I can view averages?

Also, I thought upgrades were $200, but I can get them for $100 plus the upgrade fee of $36 (and I assume tax).

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

If you can swing it you should wait for the 5s.

Hmm something to consider.

I assume that will be the $200 upgrade fee though? iPhone 5s are still selling at $600, so about a $500 profit with the 5 only being $100 to upgrade to. Think the 5S would be selling at a premium over retail price due to demand?

I also need to take into account that I'm selling my iPhone 4 and those still sell for $200 now.

edit: in terms of swinging it financially to sit on the bill for the Google S4, yeah I can do that.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

With the iPhone 5 being half off online and such, that kind of negates the extra profit you would get from waiting on the new one (who knows if it would completely negate, but overall.

I'm not sure I follow. This reads weird.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's currently a sale on the 5. It's possible that (ebay price for a 5) - (discounted cost of a 5) >= (ebay price for a 5s) - (cost of a 5s).

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Anyone know what the newest models have been selling for on ebay when they launch? I vaguely remember thinking it was crazy that people were paying ~$850. Maybe that was when there were supply issues or other GSM carriers weren't getting the phone at launch?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Hdip posted:

So that 50% off smartphone promotion says I have to trade in my old smart phone. I have two beat up sprint evo 3d's currently. Would they qualify for the promotion even though the bezels are falling off?

My wife wants verizon but if it's hundreds of dollars cheaper to get at&t (no activation fees too) I think I can talk her into it. At least the trial period.

Oh if I only get 50% off by trading in, I don't want to do that because the original iPhone 4 still sells on ebay for $200. I guess I should wait for the 5S and see if they sell higher than $600 on ebay?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Why even bother with the trade-in if you can just do it online and still get the 50% off? Am I misunderstanding something?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

No you are not. It's stupid. All it does is hurt us in stores.

And I assume this is temporary or at least won't be around when the 5S is launched?

Unless the 5S is likely to sell for at least $750 on ebay, I think doing my upgrade/flip now is the best choice.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
drat did they end the $100 upgrade for iPhone 5 online because that was only supposed to be for trading in old phones in-store?

I was going to do that with my upgrade and then sell it on ebay/craigslist. Maybe I should now wait until the 5S comes out before I do that. I'm using this to fund my Google Edition S4.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Do I need to tell ATT that I bought a Google edition Samsung s4? I used to have an iPhone 4. I ask because I can't get LTE. I'm sitting right next to someone who is getting it so I should be too. I'm just getting HSPA.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Can I just call someone then?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

Sometimes, depending on how long you have had your sim card, you need to get a new LTE compatible one. But try calling and see if it works.

My SIM is 3 years old, so I need a new one.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I got a new SIM card activated so I can get LTE on my new Google Edition S4, but I'm still not getting it. I'm replacing my iPhone 4 with this. Do I need to do something else to get 4G? I think my data plan says it's "iPhone Data" or something. Is that limiting me?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Is there LTE in your area?

Yeah there are people in my office next to me who are getting it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

Where did you get the SIM from? Last time I switched devices, they gave me a new SIM and validated that everything was working properly from a plan/data perspective in the store.

It's probably worth just stopping by an AT&T store and getting things squared away.

They gave me the SIM at the store and said I could call 611 to set it up. They didn't know any details of my phone or the account though.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I went on the ATT website to upgrade to an iPhone 5S and it is including the data plan AT&T Mobile Share(R) Personal for iPhone on 4G LTE - No Visual Voicemail (10-50) for $30/mo.

We already have a family mobile share and I have a Google Edition Galaxy S4 that I activated. I'm just buying this 5S to flip. What's this data plan going to do? Do I need to go through Apple?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Why has the price of new in box iPhone 5Ss gone down so much on ebay relative to what the newest iphone normally goes for? Looking like they are around $500 instead of the $600 previous ones have gone for.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

nimper posted:

Supply and demand.

Yeah but why is it different than what seems like every other generation has gone for? People have always had the same complaints about the phone not being anything new just like this one, so I'm wondering if AT&T is doing something new. My sister's friend got a new one and then two weeks later it was stolen, but she was able to walk into the store and buy a new one for $200 again.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
My family plan is already a 4 smartphone setup with 10GB mobile share. The current bill due 02/24 is $246. Here's the breakdown:

Mobile Share 10GB: $120
Mobile Share for iPhone: $30
Discount: -$20.40
Fees: $8.16
3 other phones: $36.08 each after fees

It looks like two of the phones are eligible for Next (their two years are up in July and September).

Is there money to be saved here or reasons to switch to Next? It looks like the new base 10GB plan should be cheaper, but it doesn't look like we have it?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I also need some help from the AT&T people.

I used my 2 year upgrade to have a new iPhone 5S sent to me. I then sold it on ebay without opening it. The person who bought it is now saying that the phone is asking for the billing zip code and last four digits of the social security number on my account. I know the phone isn't activated since my current phone still works (and AT&T even told me that they would activate it in a few weeks because I haven't yet). The guy said it's asking this when his SIM is in it and even when there is no SIM in it.

I was under the impression that this was a legitimate thing to do. Can I ask AT&T to remove this protection? Was I supposed to open the box and unlock it and then send it?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

obeyasia posted:

Its because the fool you sold it too is trying to activate it by phone. They just need to go to a COR store and get a SIM card and IMEI assigned to their number. You *MIGHT* could call AT&T or got to a COR store and get them the "delete a pending direct fulfillment upgrade" to help with the issue. But really, that shouldnt be necessary. If you got your money, that fool is on their own now.

Thanks. I told him that.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I called AT&T and requested the "delete a pending direct fulfillment upgrade" and the CSR said it should be as if I never owned the phone. He said the guy who bought it should be able to call AT&T if he has a new SIM and get it working on his end. Now the guy said he went to the store after I called and they tried two different SIM cards, but the phone was still asking for the last four digits of the social and the billing zip code for my account. He said he was going to talk to Apple next and I said I'm going to call AT&T again, but after that he's going to want a refund.

Anymore AT&T people want to chime in?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

Tell him to stop trying to use the sim the phone came with. Otherwise, take the return, finish the activation, and try selling again. Or give him the last 4 of your social and billing zip code.

So it turns out that because I got this phone sent to me from Apple, it had the account info lock that AT&T couldn't bypass. The guy went to the AT&T store and had the rep call me. I told them the info and they unlocked it and activated it for him. Didn't deactivate my phone or anything.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

nimper posted:

The extra $15 charge should drop off automatically after your contract is fulfilled. You can always call to make sure.

I have a similar question.

My current phone is an unlocked phone but I used my two year upgrade so I could sell the phone. I didn't know the $15 charge should have gone away but I assume it didn't because I still used the upgrade despite not actually using the phone.

I want to get a Nexus 6P now but my contract doesn't end until 2/11. Should I see about canceling the contract to stop paying that $15 or will it certainly cost more than $45?

edit: An additional question. My current line is $40 while the rest of my family have lines that cost $15 because they have a Discount for Mobile Share Value Savings. I see here https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html that you are eligible for that if your contract started before March 2014, which mine did. Does that mean if my family were to renew a 2 year contract that they would lose the discount? Is this discount the $15 or $25 that I would save when the contract ends and I get an unlocked phone?

I had this same discount until I did my renewal (and sold the phone) in Feb. 2014. My dad argued about it for awhile with them and they wouldn't give it back.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 12, 2015

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

nimper posted:

Here's the info on how much it would cost to terminate your contract.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/early-term-fees.jsp

Basically it's $325 minus $10 for each contract month you've completed.

Also that per-line discount only applied to people in 2-year contracts when they rolled out the mobile share plans. I think the cutoff date was in Feb/March 2014. So if you start a new contract you'd pay the full $40 per line.

edit: According to the Rate Plan Calculator, the cutoff date for 5GB plans was 3/9/14 and the cutoff for >=15GB was 2/2/14.
http://myattrpc.com/

So would I not save any money on my plan by adding an unlocked phone and not renewing the contract like you said to the other guy? Basically am I looking at $500 for a Nexus with same plan or $200 for 6S Plus with same plan? I'd probably just have to go iPhone then.

If any of my family renews a 2 year contract they will lose their discount?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

nimper posted:

If anyone renews their contract they will lose the discount and pay $40/line instead of $15 or $25.

Also you would absolutely save money with $500 up front for a Nexus and a discounted line access fee versus an iPhone 6S+ on contract.

You can use http://attcalc.com/next/ to look at your scenario and see the total cost of ownership for that iPhone.

So on Feb 11th when my two years is up my bill should go down based on what I've outlined here? Adding a Nexus would keep it that way and if I decide to buy a subsidized iPhone from them under contract it would go back to $40?

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 12, 2015

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Interested in feedback on our family plan. It's my parents, sister and me on the Mobile Share Value 30GB with Rollover Data for $151/mo. How does that sound?

My phone was bought in full and I just pay my dad $50/mo for the plan. My sister does the same since we use most of the data. I'm a 35 year old man though so I wonder if getting a plan with my wife would be better?

I also need a new phone since the camera on my 3a XL has stopped focusing. I'll probably just get a 4a 5G used on Swappa, but I was looking into good deals right now and saw this $500 S21 Ultra with a 2 year contract upgrade https://slickdeals.net/f/15052381-s21-ultra-5g-loyality-deal-att-128gb-500-2-year-contract-reqd?v=1 I also see people there saying you need special plans for 5G?

Are certain plans needed for 5G and are there any other tricky ways to get good phone deals like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Going to post this in a few threads since there's a blizzard coming and my sister doesn't have a phone.

My dad switched our family plan from AT&T to Xfinity Mobile (Verizon network). 3 of the 4 phones swapped over fine but Xfinity is saying my sister's iPhone 14 Pro Max is incompatible. She paid off the whole phone with AT&T and the phone is now unlocked, but they are saying she has to sell it herself and buy a new one from them. Is there any technical reason this phone is actually incompatible? Long gone are the days of GSM and CDMA, right?

It sounds like it's just the IMEI not being in their database? This post about another Verizon network company sounds similar but the solution didn't work for her: https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/comments/rzby5z/solution_if_your_phone_is_unlocked_and_visible/

Any info would be very appreciated!