Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Boco_T posted:

If anyone's coming to the thread with no MH experience after playing the demo on 3DS/WiiU and realizing "this demo is organized horribly for beginners," here is an extremely extensive Demo Guide that a GameFAQs forum user wrote.

Also don't forget you can access the manual using the Home Button on WiiU or before you launch the demo on 3DS. And ask any questions about it in here. Welcome!

Much obliged for this faq. Played a bit of Tri back then but hadn't touched much Monster Hunter before or since until the demo. Have it coming in but I know i'm gonna need pretty much a reintroduction to everything again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

I hate the whole lot of you. Best Buy hosed up my order and had to call them to get it redone at the same 50% off one price so getting Monster Hunter thrusday and Lego sometime in April, probably gonna cancel that one though. Yeesh. NFS is holdin' me off till Thurs but I can't run down monsters with cars in it. :smith:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Welp... layed one of those electric traps down and watched it shock the poo poo out of a Great Jaggi wound up with the bone hammer and let loose before backhanding and watching it flop on the ground. Was cool as gently caress. Pretty hooked now.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Is there any specific trick to getting Great Jaggi to drop that frill? Only need the chest piece to finish the set before I wander off to do every other drat thing under the sun but i've killed at least 8 or so since the first and they never drop another frill. And yes before it's asked I bust their face up every time till it's shredded and they do that flinch.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Riftling posted:

What's a good earlyish armor set for the bow?

I doubt it's good for it but i'm maining hammer and going to try bow specifically to complete out the Wroggi set i'm working on. It's a loving revolver and you're a cowboy. :allears:

I think i'm doing it wrong because i'm going for sets I think look cool as hell (Spent all that time for a Jaggi set but gemmed it up for Attack and upgraded everything to 12 so that helps) but i'm having fun.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

Yep, you're caught. That's the hook. The best part is that this game is mostly straightforward and if you were to beat it with doing as few upgrades as possible, you could probably see most of the content with a low time...but you gotta make a new armorset then a new weapon and oh maybe I'll try hunting horn and ooh my farm.

This is me. I'm loving 10 hours in and have done jack poo poo (one more 3 starred mission) because I HAD to have that Jaggi suit and I really really want a Wroggi suit later and i'm so close to my Carapace hammer and trying to build a self sustaining farm and.... yeah 10 hours.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

Okay, where the hell do I get a Monster Bone+? Apparently I need one more for a Carapace Hammer.

I need the full 3 and am baffled on where to get it. I need my Carapace Hammer.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Lances can cut tails too right? Got a choice between farming a bit more and getting a pretty decent longsword or I can make a lance with about half as much damage potential right now. Still maining hammer but i'm seeing i'm going to need some tails for upgrade stuff real soon and wanna plan ahead.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah, at this point I'm thinking of just finding a party to help me kill it.

I did it last night when I did the capture trickster quest. Just really do that full charge not move slam, especially when he lowers his head. Also if you knock him to the ground and he winds up dizzy fuckin' wail on it with x button presses. Cracked after a single volley. It's what the bastard gets for flying from my traps.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 23, 2013

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Fancy Hat! posted:

So are bug areas random? I've been running the sandy plains harvest quest a few times, but I've never gotten the Area 1 bug catching point to show up like it had in other quests.

I just want carpenter bugs dammit! Maybe the Packrat lady in the multiplayer port sells them occasionally?

Just trot out to the Moga Woods area 4 cave where that little cat hideout is. I usually get at least 2 there every time.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Two questions: Where can I find carpenter bugs,

Sandy plains is what i'm told but I always luck out in the cat base area in the cave on area 4 of Moga Forest. Usually get at least two everytime on that spot around that post in the center.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Whats a good time to try online? Runnin' through 4 star missions and my current plan is to mop up everything on the island then dip into online stuff but is it fine to run around beforehand? Is it too much of a burden?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Gobul is the biggest hit and run fight because his attacks might as well be explosions with how much AoE they have.

If you're indeed a hammer user his face hitbox is really big and easy to hit, and I might be wrong but he stuns easier than most bosses. You can also break the lantern easier.

Overall, just remember to keep the gently caress away when Gobul is about to do ANYTHING, and his soft spots are definitely his face, lantern and his topside.

Here's a diagram from the MH wiki:

Yeah with my hammer all I was able to do on him was face and lantern and topside damage because I still don't have a green hammer because I need Monster Bone+ so I can upgrade to that sweet Carapace tech. Was a pretty nailbiting fight if for no other reason than fucker gives me the willies.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Shlapintogan posted:

After a shitload of farming for Rhenoplos Scalps, I am finally able to make my Carapace Hammer. Now just to murder the poo poo out of some Qurupecos to finish my fabulous ensemble and oh god where did all my time go :gonk:.

I'll promise not to shake them out of you if you'll just tell me where I can find some Monster Bone+s so I can make MY Carapace hammer.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

I remember Jaggi spawning in Tri, but 3U I don't remember him ever coming out.

It's a tossup in village. I've had Jaggis a lot at the beginning but after the first Rathian he occasionally spawned Rathians.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

cat doter posted:

I'm just shy of 40 hours played and I haven't even checked what table I'm on.

So for some reason I've completed all the 5 star quests available and there's no new quests. I tried finishing all the quests I'd skipped but that didn't work. What gives? Do I have to start doing the multiplayer quests now?

You have to do one of the resource things that Junior gives. Building a base camp for your Ceadeus fight I believe. Just did it myself and it unlocked the urgent quest.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

sitchelin posted:

I may have jumped the gun, because now I've got codes too. If you want one, write a Haiku about Monster Hunter and I'll PM/email you a code. 5/7/5 syllables.

Hammers are real great,
Golf swing is the best thing,
I need a code yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Awesome! posted:

this and also the spikes get bigger at lvl 3 charge :stare:

This is the best part. I killed the Great Jaggi with a jump off the cliff after charging up fully and it just slammed a huge spiked head down and I audibly gasped.

• Locked thread