Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yay, cannibalism! I knew it was coming sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Tommyrod is a freakishly deformed human, which doesn't seem that strange when he is standing next to a human with prehensile omnivorous hair. Besides, inhuman strength and stomach capacity are rather generic powers in this setting.

Not quite sure what is going on with the centaur, though. Did he graft his torso on to some sort of gourmet world horse, is he an actual centaur, or did his lower body really change that much from gourmet cells?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He had bugs living inside him. So, they were probably eating each other and making GBS threads in his stomach. Tommyrod had some really, really weird gourmet cells.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It seems more likely that Buranchi will join Komatsu's muscle harem.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Foodgasms are a staple of cooking manga. JJBA didn't invent the concept.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Huh, I always figured that Joa was secretly Frohze who faked his own death for bizarre food-related reasons.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It was always pretty drat homoerotic. The only difference is that the subtext has become text.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mulderman posted:

And yet it's still the manliest goddamn manga ever.

I don't really see the contradiction between 'incredibly homoerotic' and 'incredibly manly'.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, Toriko did find the bee jailer attractive. Of course, she had the super power of being able to literally force anyone except Zebra to find her attractive which implies that nothing less would ever make Toriko interested in a woman but that sort of counts, right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Komatsu's character arc hasn't involved gaining power at all. He is just as physically weak now as he was in the first chapter. His weakness has even been shown as a virtue at times. Komatsu isn't part of the muscle freak power level escalation and he likely never will be.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The best villains in Toriko have all been completely grotesque and bizarre. Starjun is fairly normal looking and has a high body temperature. It wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't being touted as some ultimate villain, but he really doesn't stand out enough to get this much attention.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You have to differentiate between the imagining based on routines and what actually happens. Toriko visualized destroying Starjun's knife at the same time that Starjun visualized cutting off Toriko's leg. Starjun was then surprised when he did not in fact cut off Toriko's leg, but Toriko did destroy his knife.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The two outcomes were mutually exclusive. Toriko planned to kick the knife in half, which he would need his leg for. Starjun planned to cut Toriko's leg off, which he would need the knife for. There isn't any way for the two acts to happen simultaneously.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Seebach posted:

Something that I keep wanting to analyze, but always forget about, is the sheer bulkiness of the Characters.

Even Chin Chin says that during the walk on the bubble way that he weighs close to a ton, It makes you wonder how some of these characters are able to use furniture after filling their bodies to make use of the insane abilities that they produce.

I would also be interested to know what these other characters (villians especially) have done for training purposes to stand up against things like "food honor" and such. It seems now that both sides (all three sides?) are capable of producing troops that can produce food honor-like powers.

Do they keep up sheerly by being able to eat gourmet world food, and evolve further than Toriko and Co have (with exception to Zebra, who seems to be in a league all his own)?

How do they use furniture? That is an easy one. They only use furniture that is made from high level ingredients, though not necessarily the edible parts of said ingredients. Like a tree with bark harder than diamond, but instead of wood it contains a tight cluster of bloody beating human hearts, which are eaten raw as a delicacy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Unfortunately, Jirou is probably going to get his rear end kicked here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
What will Toriko be able to do? I'm guessing something along the lines of literally turning into cutlery which eats everything it cuts and never stops cutting. Mark my words, Toriko will destroy the world eventually.

Well, that or he will settle down and live a life of quiet domesticity/food adventures with his life partner.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
How odd that Sani of all people was the only one of the 4 kings to win his big fight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess this is where appetite fighting had to go. No pretenses, just dudes straight out trying to kill and eat each other.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The most amazing part about the big villain being a cannibal is that cannibalism hasn't been shown as being bad, because Sani did it first.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There is probably a tree that produces delicious, delicious babies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Well, it's delicious as hell, which is really what capture level measures.

There have been multiple giant animals with high capture levels which taste bad. Capture level measures how difficult it is to capture something. They've been pretty clear about that from very early on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Is it just me, or does Coco look like Acacia? I just noticed it in one of the early pages, where it shows Ichiryuu with the young main characters. Actually thought it was a young Acacia at first and was wondering what the hell was going on before I noticed who the others were.

Man, Coco. We're never going to find out what happened to him; him falling in that hole was the last time we'll ever see him.

The art style isn't detailed enough that you can tell people apart using facial features only. That isn't normally a problem, since most characters have rather extreme distinguishing features.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Eight Beast Kings that rule over the Gourmet World? Eight dishes in a Full Course. Maybe the Beast Kings are the actual ingredients in Acacia's Full Course?

Nah, Toriko has already eaten battle wolf meat before.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Dead. A man who constantly drips noxious black goo from every pore isn't quite grotesque enough for this manga any more.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In the end, Toriko will devour Komatsu and they will become one at long last. Everyone approves. Some shed tears of happiness because of how beautiful their love is.

Really though, I hope they keep ramping up the completely amoral cannibalism stuff. It is so hilariously out of place in a shounen fighting manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
One thing I don't understand is, is there normal food production aside from all of the poo poo with capture levels that only the wealthy can afford?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I think Midora can be smug right now because in the end the Bishokukai captured Komatsu and that's all that matters. The whole battle at the cooking fest was apparently to capture him.

Only because he read that cookbook in the gourmet pyramid. Komatsu has absurd food luck and ridiculous potential, but no one is after his skills as a chef.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Seebach posted:

Well it was to capture chefs, not just Komatsu. It's just that he's the only one they got hold of. Zebra pretty much killed everything else.

Neo is the one with the special interest in Komatsu, due to the cookbook. The Bishokukai was after every chef they could get their hands on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Wouldn't you be?

"Well I just murdered my older brother and devastated human world for no discernible reason, and now most of my evil organization wrecked my base and defected to an even more evil organization. I am literally starving with rage!"

I like to think Gourmet cells replace most major emotions with hunger. Except, of course, the pain of a "delicious hunter" being unable to protect a single cooker. :smith:

Toriko will express his love for Komatsu by killing and eating him. The reason why Komatsu has such an uncanny rapport with ingredients is because he is one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cody Banks posted:

I thought the Cooking Festival arc was great. It set up an epic course for the future of the story, and managed to turn Midora into an interesting character. The amount of twists and plot-dump might have been a bit much for some, which is understandable.

Toriko is apparently going solo into Gourmet World, so I wouldn't expect the pace to slow down any time soon.

It would have been nice if they had spaced out the flashbacks a bit, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So I think it is very clear that this is a honeymoon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Deki posted:

I'm a bit surprised Toriko is actually bringing that egg back to the starving masses rather than eating it all himself.

They are trying to pretend that Toriko possesses empathy even though he spent a year stuffing his face with the most delicious food imaginable while most humans were living through an unprecedented famine. Actually, this is completely consistent with the christmas story where they feed people one day of the year.

Toriko has a very weird moral code which no one else seems to share.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

It's the Why Doesn't Reed Richards Cure Cancer conundrum applied to food.

That would imply that RR could cure cancer if he Got Paid. Toriko hunts for ingredients because he either wants to eat them or because he is being paid to do so. Ergo, if someone paid him enough he could obtain some absurdly oversized ingredients. He actually did gather large quantities of food when he got the stuff for the disgusting ehou maki that a sweaty hairy man spent days rubbing his body over. Toriko isn't a saint, and his system of ethics is based on food. Charity or working to end a famine just aren't very high priorities for him, is all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Like human world bacteria could even handle gourmet world food.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You can see how important it was to him based on how much he thought about it. Contrast it to the leadup to Toriko asking Komatsu to become his partner. I guess acquiring a beard isn't all that serious a matter for him?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There are also the underground and aquatic ingredients. For that matter, why was every single seed, egg and embryo destroyed? It is kind of a silly situation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tolth posted:

After like 250 chapters of the most ludicrous bullshit imaginable, this is a silly situation? HIS HANDS SHOOT GIANT COOKING UTENSILS.

One thing being silly doesn't preclude another thing from also being silly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toriko/Ch-468--Miracle-Eggs--?id=188806

So, they used the beautiful glistening effect when the egg popped out of a bird's cloaca. The punchline to the marriage stuff is coming, and I absolutely cannot wait. The main plot can go gently caress itself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
My problem with Toriko's full course is that it has no synergy or encompassing theme. It is just whatever ingredients they come up with at a given point in the manga, but the style and scope of the setting has developed over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The real mystery here is how a nitro survived living in such a tiny area for so long. Nitros are probably the biggest eaters around, except for maybe Midora.

• Locked thread