Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Checking out this for the first time, it might just be the phrase "Gourmet Hunter" but I am now reminded of Hunter X Hunter, and the opening chapter has only furthered that, between its over-the-top introduction and the main character first showing up fishing. Not that this is a bad thing; HXH is one of my favorite series and if this is basically a more ridiculous version of it then that alone should be massively entertaining.

Edit: Wow this translation is poor, though. Does that get better later?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shugojin posted:

It's not really like Hunter X Hunter. It is, however, pretty loving great.

Well, that was more of an initial impression, really. World of weird monsters and ridiculously strong "Hunters" running around and all that. Though it is sort of reminding me of early HXH still.

Also man this translation is so bad. Using pluralization and ignoring it arbitrarily, repeating the same thing between speech bubbles, mixing up words so you can only make sense of the sentence by unscrambling it, mixing up millipedes and centipedes (and other things, this is just the latest example), constant typos... Please tell me this isn't a constant thing. Reading two hundred chapters of this is going to melt my brain.

Manga itself seems great, though. Ten chapters in at this point.

Edit: Man, the monster levels inflated fast though. That huge crocodile was a 5 and built up as a big deal that the main guy might not be able to handle, and now there's already double-digits being thrown around.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reiche posted:

Toriko is peak shounen so the quicker you can get over the immense power inflation, the more you can sit back and enjoy all the manliness. And Komatsu.

Nah, that doesn't bother me much, I just thought it was silly that "oh no a level 5 even the best can't beat that" was shortly followed by the revelation that they have categories going beyond 20 and so. The scale seems effectively meaningless at that point beyond being this series' power level system.

Anyway, the translation getting better is a relief. It sucks when a good series gets mangled by an indecipherable translation.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
And caught up to the present. That really was something. Guess this is something I'll be keeping up with now. Was nice to have something while I've been away from my computer over the past few days, too.

Also nooooo, Tommyrod. My favorite villain from this series. At least he went out smiling. Though I knew it was coming because I happened to read some certain spoilers right after the first post before I decided to read the series. Which led to a fun misunderstanding, as I then forgot the name, and so when Terrycloth (another "T<vowel><double consonant>y<noun>" name) was named, I confused them and thought "oh no that poor wolf I don't want it to die- wait. is that the right name?" Then later Tommyrod was introduced, and I was like "Oh, so that's who it is. What a weird-looking guy." And then he was amazing.

Topic of that, was he the first important character to actually die? I know Wagon and those others were the first named guys to die, at least that I can remember, but they were basically introduced for that to happen, and while there were those fake-outs with Livebearer and Teppei (the latter of which was horrifying, holy crap), this is the first time a major character has died I think. Unless it turns out that, having been absorbed so thoroughly/due to his weird nervous system/whatever, Tommyrod is still alive and now possessing Sunny's hair. Which I would be totally OK with.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat, villains are being killed off in some brutal ways here.

Tommyrod: Eaten alive by Sunny's hair.
What's-his-face: Electrocuted forever.

Which villain is going to die next, and how terrible is it going to be?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 11, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
ZEBRA... IS... THE DEATH SOUND

Man, the villains are getting surprisingly nice sendoffs for the horrible ways they're being killed. Tommyrod had a smile on his face as he was horribly eaten alive, and now this guy gets electrocuted until he disintegrates but is told "hey you're not ugly" beforehand. Our horrible murderer protagonists are being surprisingly respectful to their even-more-horrible murderer victims.

Also Zebra's beast aura thing looks silly in its grim reaper outfit. It's just so happy to have that sheet draped over its head.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

When is Komatsu getting some gourmet cells anyway? Not that he needs to become a muscle man or physically competent, but he does kind of need to become some level of superhuman in order to set foot in the gourmet world. Even if Toriko is right there and will never quit him. Hell, once they move onto the gourmet world there's not reason he can't be a superhuman god by human world standards while still being a big ol' bitch by gourmet world standards.

Toriko's just going to get an extremely high-tech equivalent of a cat carrier and stick Komatsu in that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So Joa's come to murder and eat everyone now or something. Which, by the standards of this manga, makes him the real hero. From now on the story is about an evil Black Mage turning everyone and everything into finely-prepared meals. He'll get to Starjun and Toriko after dealing with the entire stadium and its occupants, then we can rename the manga.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I dunno, Joa seems interesting because he's a cook who's so powerful. Even with people like Setsuno, all the cooks we've seen have been paired with other, more powerful people, but Joa's going it alone and is still an absolute nightmare. (Was Joa the cook who would have been considered the best in the first cook competition, but broke the rules and was disqualified forever or something?) I doubt he's in in need of someone to cook for him, at any rate. Maybe he's just a dick.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, but Starjun also wanted to team up with Komatsu because he's a better cook, so for what I was saying he'd basically be on the "string guy" side of things. As for Buranchi, he's a strong chef, but, as I said earlier and as Setsuno shows, that's not in and of itself a rare thing. But my point isn't "chefs can't be strong" so much as that Joa is both one of if not the best chefs around and a guy so terrifyingly powerful that, well, look at him. And he seems to lack a proper partner (though he can apparently make anyone into a servant with that weird technique) as well.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reiche posted:

So are we supposed to getting the hint that Joa is somehow Frozhe/Acacia?

That, or Joa killed her. One of the two.

Anyway, Joa, Setsuno, and Jirou all being badass make for a good chapter. Looks like upcoming ones should be entertaining as well. (Though I wonder who's shouting in the last panel; the text style and how "loud" it is does not match Joa at all, so apparently some bystander's just screaming things at the fight. (Which is a totally anime thing to be happening admittedly.))

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like that Jirou probably just caused more damage than all the villains in the series put together. Someone isn't very responsible, it seems.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liar posted:

I'm still betting it'll turn out that Tommy didn't die, but is now like an insect infesting Sani's body. I absolutely expect a scene like in Aliens with him exploding out of Sani, all the more powerful from having feasted on Sani's life force.

Either that or he's become head lice.

Considering how complete his absorption was, I too was entertaining the thought of Tommyrod still being alive and possessing Sani's hair or something. Though it's less because I think it's likely and more because I don't want Tommyrod to be dead.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think "News" might be meant to be "Information" or something, but of course I haven't seen the raws and don't know Japanese so don't take my word for it. "Pair" and "Another" sound like they should be something else as well ("Duo" for the first, maybe?). This chapter has "hungar" written in it so the quality might be dubious, though the people behind it are the group that's been doing it constantly, so...

Anyway, an entirely setup chapter. Darn. At least the next one should be good, and hopefully it won't be too long before we see why the heck someone is destroying the entire human world like that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TNG posted:

In the raws they're written out in English with katakana giving pronunciation. So these are the official names pretty much

Huh. Well then, those are strange. Don't really seem to fit the previous theme... At all, really. Oh well, not a big deal.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it just me, or does Coco look like Acacia? I just noticed it in one of the early pages, where it shows Ichiryuu with the young main characters. Actually thought it was a young Acacia at first and was wondering what the hell was going on before I noticed who the others were.

Man, Coco. We're never going to find out what happened to him; him falling in that hole was the last time we'll ever see him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serious Frolicking posted:

The art style isn't detailed enough that you can tell people apart using facial features only. That isn't normally a problem, since most characters have rather extreme distinguishing features.

Oh, it wasn't a criticism or speculation that it might be meaningful. I just noticed, dang, those two look alike (apart from one lacking facial hair). They even dress the same.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

glassyalabolas posted:

everyone lives! and Setsuno is still a badass

Still no Coco. Oh dear.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was enjoying the talk of Coco just never showing up again, but it's good to see he's back. Even if he looks... Different. Wonder what's up there.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtomikKrab posted:

That stash is just for one area, they even talk about others being accessed, so 500 meter tall several miles in other directions pile of food should be good for a billion or so, I assume they got another 50 lying around.

Alternatively, it's like an iceberg, and that's just the tip.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dazoner posted:

I wonder if the other 3 Heavenly kings were also gathering food from the Gourmet would. Would be kinda lovely if they weren't.

The last panel looks like it might be them in the background. Middle one has the hair to be Sunny, left one roughly fits Zebra's profile, and the third... Well it lacks any particular details but that doesn't rule out Coco, really.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Maltose posted:

I feel kind of bad for Livebearer, not even hearing the voices of ingredients anymore.

Did he ever? I thought he, and most chefs at that, didn't/couldn't, and Komatsu was the exception rather than the rule. Edit: Thoguh some of the other great chefs here obviously can, given what they're saying.

On that topic, rereading the chapter it's hilarious how Livebearer knows exactly what needs to be done, but just watches everyone act like idiots instead of telling them what to do.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 20, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alopex posted:

Well clearly the bird can only lay infinite eggs if its forelock is shaped like an infinity sign. That's like, Foodbiology 101.

And speaking of weird biology, I really want to know what got Sunny to cut his hair. I bet it tried to eat him in his sleep and he had to teach it a lesson.

Tommyrod's ghost possessed it and Sunny was so disgusted he cut it off/it escaped and is now roaming the land.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh crap, Quinn. While I doubt they're going to just kill her off like that, holy crap those were huge chunks taken out of her.

Also, frog and a weird demon/god thing that may or may not have been related to/controlled by said frog. Huh.
I know it's always been weird but for some reason it feels like Toriko's really gone off the deep end here.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crunkjuice posted:

this is like the gourmet world version of that black technique knife healing stuff, but way way more hardcore. I wonder if they are going to go on a quest to find komatsu's heart before he dies. Also, i'm curious what being will awaken in komatsu, since i doubt chefs get appetite demons.

That's not a super-hard quest. It's right over there. And over there. And a bit over there. Some on Toriko's face too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I recently realized that, despite Zebra being the biggest badass and all that (both in terms of power, at least before Toriko's recent upgrades, and in actual size relative to the other guys), his power set is the least active. He usually just stands there and echolocates/screams at things while everyone else is doing crazy athletic things and running around and stuff. Zebra is basically the mage of the group.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This chapter was entertaining. All the guys showing off their abilities and being badass (and even the Nitro gets in on it; when that blast is coming for them she just goes "Bah" and raises up her arm to shield herself) and utterly chumping an enormous monster that had a fair amount of buildup.

And then we get a cut to the monkey king, not giving a single gently caress about all that.

Also, poor Tommyrod. That shot of his face in Sunny's hair is actually kind of horrifying. Someone mentioned Coco being scary but he's so in a less visceral way; Sunny's just straight up horrifying. Also possibly Satan.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Im surprised that Bambina wasnt huge as skyscrapers.

We already knew this from the rock-skipping last chapter, though.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Bambina in action, at least when he isn't throwing mountains around and getting hit in the face by rocks he himself threw ages ago.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nahxela posted:

The Monkey King is a goofy dork. I like it.

Bambina is competing for the position of my favorite character in this. He's great.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That really raises the question of what her agenda here is, though. Kaka is clearly more powerful, or at least more skilled and knowledgeable, than the protagonists. Besides knowledge of Enbu (and being able to practice it, given how easily she's enduring the super-gravity), we got things like her not being particularly distressed by area-attacks aimed at the group and so on. She's also helping them a lot; they'd have been utterly screwed many times over by now without her assistance. If she were planning on betraying them, she's well, well past the opportune point, unless there's something she wanted first. Lack of confidence in her own ability to acquire Pair, perhaps, and her going for Komatsu now is her thinking they're going to fail and thus cutting her losses? It's a bit strange, really.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I noticed that the monkey wife or whatever it was looks a lot like Bambina's "first form", where he had himself all bound up and stuff. Given that he took his name from a past love, I guess he was imitating her appearance as well or something, maybe?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiderdrake posted:

Kaka was inside, then there was an explosion, then Kaka was outside.

I don't think Denshark made it :(

It was on 100G Mountain, but its ability to withstand it ended with Kaka inside. We don't get a shot of what happens to it outside but you can see the inside collapsing around Kaka. It was crushed and/or exploded by Kaka, yeah. Possibly because Toriko and co. wanted it to do that? Not sure there, but it's toast. Metaphorically; literally I doubt there's anything edible left, even if this is Toriko.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

i flunked out posted:

do we know komatsu's full course?

Toriko, Coco, Sunny, Zebra, and possibly Midora, Brunch, and Melk Jr. so far. He needs at least one more entry to finish it off though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiderdrake posted:

What about ice girl? Nono or whatever?

Oh, she's possible, sure.

Seebach posted:

I can't remember when anyone has changed something in their lifetime full course.

I think Toriko himself changed his, actually. I remember him or someone changing theirs at some point. Wish I could recall the specifics. It definitely happened, though. (I think.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh. So, that's some foreshadowing they were doing; anyone remember that panel where Toriko saw into the spirit world or whatever when he grabbed the monkey king's balls and people were saying they saw Guemon, Kaka, and someone else? Turns out those three were apparently just sort of hanging around here.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

:mrgw:

That was cool having the chefs show off a bit. Hope there is a lot more for this arc.

I was worried that they'd all get completely chumped by the people of this place, then we basically got to see them all doing as well as or even better than the people they were meeting (even as they were impressed by all the new things they were encountering), culminating in Chiyo one-upping the group's mysterious benefactor and annihilating the thing that was menacing them a chapter ago. I guess it was primarily a threat because it could hurt their transport and when you're at the bottom of the ocean you can't exactly get out to murder a giant coral thing. Good to see she's still ludicrously powerful; after how terrifying she was as an antagonist, it'd be a shame if she were suddenly useless as an ally.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

papasyhotcakes posted:

The scene in which she strips someone to the bone before he even notices remains one of the most disturbing I have seen in a manga.

She pulls that off multiple times too, utterly removing that one guy's midsection and later flaying a guy's arm. She also intimidates the temple into revealing itself, which is less viscerally terrifying but pretty crazy nonetheless.

Seebach posted:

I gotta agree that out of the chefs (minus JiJi), she probably has the scariest combat prowess.

Cooking skill (minus JiJi) still has to be Komatsu, right?

I'm not sure if she is better than Toriko though.

Cooking-wise, Komatsu's obviously going to be the best ever. At this present point in time, though, we haven't really had a chance to compare them; all of Chiyo's battle techniques are also cooking ones, though, and both of them were able to prepare the Bubble Fruit which is apparently something you need to be genius-level to do. I'd say that she probably has more technical skill (she's something of a rival to Setsuno and has won that mega cooking competition thing a few times) while Komatsu has that whole "voice of the ingredients" thing going on. (Tangentially, I've actually been kind of disappointed in how that's played out so far; Air was alright but for Pair it was just "poke it here and bam, it'll gush out gallons for testicle-fluid", which isn't really a display of skill on his part.)

As for her versus Toriko, well, her fight with him she was already injured for, and she had abandoned Food Honor at that point as well. She's probably regained that and thus become even stronger in the meantime, though of course Toriko's also gotten obscenely tougher since their fight, so... Really, unless she's planning a betrayal to try to bring her son back it won't matter anyway, and like Komatsu Toriko has a "shonen protagonist and therefore going to be the best sooner or later" thing going on anyway. If they did fight again, though, it'd probably be really brutal.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shugojin posted:

Actually I think that whole complicated and insane "touch the two of them together in the real/death worlds, at the exact same time" was part of the cooking technique and why it was the most delicious Pair that evil-Kaka had seen.

The poke was an unrelated bit of showing off.

That is more impressive, but Komatsu wasn't the one who figured that out. (Good) Kaka told him how to do that in the spirit world.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Besides all that awesomeness/insanity, my curiosity is piqued by the last page; I wonder how Bambina is going to take the arrival of the Neo spawn. Is he going to clown it like Jirou did, or... I rather hope he doesn't die. I quite like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore posted:

It got fixed in one throwaway panel, thing got clowned as gently caress

Yeah, considering that he's fine now and it's in space, I don't think my description of events was inaccurate.

• Locked thread