Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I dunno, that could be a big spoiler for people just getting into the series. Unless you made it something like

Toriko: Chapter 227 NEVER FORGET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

KoB posted:

No, it starts off shaky but a real translation group picked it up eventually.

"Everything" being "encased" in "meaningless quotation marks" is Shimabukuro himself, though if you keep reading for long enough you'll probably start to just gloss over them.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

You know, I was JUST thinking that everyone was starting to act awfully cocky. :colbert:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Liar posted:

I mean it more in the sense of having no IGO to control the flow of foods, to regulate over-hunting, or to pop in should some city destroying pumpkin comes rolling along.

But yeah, obviously the story will leave the Human World behind eventually here and the concerns of one hundred billion people dying horribly will be in the past.

It's okay, in the world of Toriko, that's the population of a small town. It's simply a statistic.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I am still amazed that this world produces the food necessary to feed millions, if not billions of people with caloric needs that are through the roof.

I get that Chiyo is an outlier but still.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Muscles, muscles everywhere.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Komatsu and the Last Crusade

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Surprise guest appearance by Koizumi Jun'ichiro out of loving nowhere. Hahaha.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

That is one handsome motherfucker. :stare:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Batmasterson posted:

The pacing on the Toriko fight seems off. We have seen a lot of them, but except for the beginning of the fight, neither of them have really done anything.

Nah, this is par for the course for a fight like this. If this fight was done in an anime there would have been a bunch of posing and threatening gestures thrown in for good measure.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 6, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I was about to say this chapter of Toriko Claymore was pretty good, until I realized that it's preceding exactly the same way the fight in the Regal Mammoth arc did. Toriko gets owned at first, gets a little boost from monster mash, gets a couple hits in but then owned again, then gets more help and executes the graveyard smash, etc.

This is literally the setup of every single battle manga in existence.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

KoB posted:

I dont even understand how powerful people are supposed to be anymore. Just like an arc or two ago it took Toriko everything to do like a double 36 nail punch and now hes making suits of god drat armor out of hungry and literal knife laser beams made of hungry and like 70x nail punch over and over.

Pretty soon Toriko is gonna eat the whole world and we'll be like "that makes sense".

Toriko will master imagery so much that he'll be able to literally imagine food into existence and eat it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It is so weird to see a conventionally pretty woman in this manga of bulging muscles and blood.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

RatHat posted:

Oh man, how much of a twist would it be if Jirou defects to Neo?

There would be no more joy left in the Toriko universe if that happened. :smith:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

God is so good that once you've had it you can never enjoy anything ever again. Jirou drinks to forget that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Literally a mouthful of giant dicks

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Literally operating on Bizarro Logic. Me am not save you Superman.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

just a butt posted:

The Calvinball of shonen

Kumabukuro, end this manga with Midora and Joa giving a rousing rendition of the Very Sorry Song and I will love you forever

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I dunno, Midora might not actually be the final boss. Ichiryuu's comment about the small amount of good left in him seems like foreshadowing to me. Meanwhile Joa has no such good implied.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

If space is eating people now, I'm sure Toriko's punches will eventually. We're not out of "image" territory yet.

You mean, we're not "out" of the "territory" of the "image" yet.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It's gonna be real sad when Midora eats God and can't even tell what it tastes like. :smith:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah, God would be a curse if it was so good that nothing you ever ate could compare to it. It'd be like one of those monkey's paw stories.

Maybe it's a taste that lets you fully appreciate the taste in everything else, like some super version of food honor?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

The moon is God. They're going to eat the moon.

When the "blood moon" comes and the stars "align," "God" will be "revealed" and allow people to finally "eat" it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

We're finally at the second part of Toriko. :stare:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Better translation is up by the way. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/221068/toriko_ch264_by_hi-wa-mata-noboru

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

They are trying to pretend that Toriko possesses empathy even though he spent a year stuffing his face with the most delicious food imaginable while most humans were living through an unprecedented famine. Actually, this is completely consistent with the christmas story where they feed people one day of the year.

Toriko has a very weird moral code which no one else seems to share.

It's the Why Doesn't Reed Richards Cure Cancer conundrum applied to food.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Death Bot posted:

There's probably a lump of meat inside the heart the size of a fist that's the most tender possible meat but also impossible to cook because it's so tender

The rest of the shark is not only inedible but in fact highly poisonous.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

Toriko kind of fascinates me from a cultural studies perspective. The homoerotic and homoromantic themes are so in your face that I have a hard time believing that any of it is unintentional - but since I'm not Japanese I dont have the cultural context required to understand it. It's a blatantly gay series running in a mainstream magazine marketed towards young boys within a cultural context that, until now, I understood to be less than accepting of homosexuals. I constantly feel like I'm missing some vital part of the puzzle.

It's not gay when it's manly.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Shugojin posted:

I got the feeling it was just mediocre, kind of like how they would react to a real-world chicken.

Also the true answer was clearly give that motherfucker a hug

Yeah, in the real world eating fried chicken does not make you shed tears of pure joy and also if you have a specific genetic condition actually grow swole-er, so I think it's understandable that people in the Toriko universe would be sort of ho hum about it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

KittenofDoom posted:

Eh it's probably an attack and not a recipe. It's hard to imagine anyone not being grossed out by it, even in a universe where people fart on apples to make them delicious.

This is the world where a hairy sweaty man will literally wrestle with a roll of makizushi for many minutes and then dump it on the ground and it's delicious.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I decided to re-read a few parts of Toriko just now and I think I found a bit that basically encapsulates the feeling of the series.

Toriko.jpg

RIP Komatsu's nose

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fabricated posted:

It's a tad dramatic how much characters change even when they don't age much. It's been like...~3ish years in-series?

First Chapter:

~Halfway In (like chapter 120-something):

Latest Chapter:

Latent gourmet cells inside Komatsu's body have streamlined his senses, so with a more efficient olfactory system his large nostrils are no longer needed and have atrophied through gourmet evolution

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

The real mystery here is how a nitro survived living in such a tiny area for so long. Nitros are probably the biggest eaters around, except for maybe Midora.

The air inside the cabin is actually "honey air," packed with "self-renewing" "caloric particles" that can sustain a nitro almost indefinitely.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

New chapter out.

Both bath related scenes were great.

Hahaha oh god Toriko's Toriko-ness is spreading to Komatsu.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Plutonis posted:

How widespread is old masters being huge creeps in manga anyway? Master Kame, Happosai from Ranma...

It's just old men being pervs in general, and since they're masters, naturally their perversion is also stronger than the average old man.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think we might be the only non horrifying thing on earth when we are completely hairless. (well thing that can grow hair)

This is what sets us from the beasts; Beauty.

I'm sure we're all horrifying to other animals.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

e: Special bonus, another toriko image I happened to have in my Imgur app

Buttsalt is truly one of the great inventions of our time

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Chinaman7000 posted:

I'd read a manga about Livebearer and Mozgus from Berserk hanging out making crazy faces as they live a normal life.

The neighbors whisper fearfully to themselves as Mozgus slams his face into the floor and Livebearerer talks about enjoying foods nobody else can see (this is what passes for normal life for them). Unfortunately due to Mozgus's connections in the Church and Livebearer's in the criminal underground, whenever they call the cops, the proper authorities make only the most cursory of inspections before leaving because everything seems to be in order.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

...There's something inexplicably but primally Toriko about journeying into the gourmet world by literally riding in the stomach of a gigantic octopus which you access through its rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

pandaK posted:

Excuse me, but they entered the octopus's mouth. Octopi do not have a multipurpose eating+poop chute.

Nah it definitely had a mouth below its eyes, while the thing they entered at the bottom of it was distinctly sphincter-shaped.

• Locked thread