Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm not sure why people seem so certain that Frohze is a woman and not just a feminine-looking man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Seebach posted:

(S)He is literally a pair of stark eyes hiding in a robe! (S)He's the image of the guy on the neighborhood crime watch sign.

Though I suppose that is scary.

Considering the context of preparing the other ingredients on Acacia's Full Course (Air, Earth, Atom, etc.) as well as the mentioning of the abilities of the revitalizing Kitchen Knife, it was well within the scope to conclude that they were going to be actually dissecting the very world and it's beliefs to prepare this Full Course.

Though now I'm a little bothered now at a lack of information, as we don't know what the Soup/Fish Dish/Meat Dish is of Acacia's Full Course.

I'm assuming that either the soup or the fish is called Water and one of the three is called Fire. Maybe one is called Edge? That would be the opposite of Center, I suppose.

On second thought, Void or Aether sounds better than Edge. I guess Void would be the soup, Water the fish, and Fire the meat.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 11, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It's kind of hilarious how similar Jirou is to Mansam. Not only are they both constantly drunk, but they have the same backstory now.

Joa being Frohze was not really surprising, but those scars on her face are. Did she use Taste Change on herself?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

just a butt posted:

"There is always a greater power" is like Shonen 101

Given NEO's goals, I'm guessing it was aliens.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MegaCharger posted:

Also I can't believe Jiro is so much stronger than Setuno. I though Setuno was at least up there with the bosses but it seems she's at least a few levels below in terms of power.

Setsuno might actually be the fifth-strongest person in the world. The gap can't be that large; she was able to partially block an attack from Frohze, so she can't be that much weaker than her, and I doubt Jirou is going to curbstomp Frohze.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 25, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MegaCharger posted:

If the good guys are smart I really don't see how IGO can possibly lose. Ichiryuu and Jiro can probably tag team anybody to death including Midora and Joa. Then you just have Setuno and the rest of the grunts deal with the grunts of the other teams. The only way they are going to be in a bad spot is if they lose Ichiryuu or Jiro and possibly Setuno by having them getting picked off on their own.

There's a good chance Frohze will kill or even Taste Change Jirou now, though. If Ichiryu had brought Jirou along to his meeting with Midora things would have gone better.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

What will Toriko be able to do? I'm guessing something along the lines of literally turning into cutlery which eats everything it cuts and never stops cutting. Mark my words, Toriko will destroy the world eventually.

Well, that or he will settle down and live a life of quiet domesticity/food adventures with his life partner.

We've already seen that Sunny can potentially devour all life on the planet with his hair. I guess Coco's full potential could be poisoning everything on the planet (though he wouldn't want to do anything remotely close to that). Alternatively, his full potential could just be something like combining the lightspeed spear with a much more fast-acting version of the adaptive virus, and being able to use it a basically unlimited number of times; he doesn't need planet-scale attacks to be absurdly broken. Zebra I could see having the potential to affect the entire atmosphere; maybe a global, but selective, version of Death Sound?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 25, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FAT BATMAN posted:

So, here's my question: where are we now in terms of factions at play? We got the Good Guys (Toriko and Granny and co), the Bad Guys (evil old lady, Starjun, etc), and then a third party lead by the old guy chef and maybe masterminded by either a mysterious Joa or a bunch of fat businessmen hiding in a bunker? And then this Frohze person who doesn't seem to be there for the same reason the third party is, but isn't exactly acknowledged by Starjun's side either, and now Jiro who currently isn't aligned but may be about to pick a side. What agendas do we know about so far? What's the deal with the fat businessmen?

Frohze apparently is Joa. Jirou is probably on the IGO's side in the sense of being law-abiding, but he doesn't seem to care that much about fighting the Gourmet Corp and NEO; I think he's only fighting now to protect Setsuno. Shonen manga conventions would dictate that Joa/Frohze, rather than the fat businessmen, is the actual leader of NEO.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The line about Starjun being the second strongest in Gourmet Corp means that there aren't many people left who can challenge Toriko at this point.

Also, I just noticed that Batoto gives this series the "Shonen Ai" tag. I wasn't expecting that, but I guess it shouldn't be surprising.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Liar posted:

It's pretty funny that this is a world where billions are starving to death, but every time we see anybody eating it's a fifteen-course meal made with animals the size of houses. It seems like a couple Regal Mammoths could basically feed half the planet if everyone just adapted to eating normal sized portions.

The vast majority of people in Toriko aren't starving to death, to be fair. Starvation pretty much only exists outside of the IGO countries. Things were probably different back when this flashback is taking place, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 26, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fecha posted:

I have to admit that as a casual reader, I have totally lost track of the sides, allegiances and betrayals at this point.

Xtanstic posted:

Same with me. It's hard to keep track of everything when you follow a handful of weekly manga.

That's what wikis are for.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

One thing I don't understand is, is there normal food production aside from all of the poo poo with capture levels that only the wealthy can afford?

There are some low-capture-level ingredients mentioned as being genetically engineered by IGO for mass production, like Neo Tomato, IIRC.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Also, Battle Wolves probably have Gourmet Cells or something similar, so there's going to be enormous variance in power level based on diet.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

I wonder if all of the Four King's cool animal buddies have King counterparts.

They did mention that the largest Mother Snake (Quinn/Queen's species) wraps around the world. I can also buy the idea of a giant Daruma Horse. I'm having trouble imagining an uber-powerful version of Kiss, but his species being called Emperor Crow implies one is out there.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
http://toriko.wikia.com/wiki/Eight_Kings

This article lists four of the eight (Battle Wolf, Mother Snake, Emperor Crow, and Derous (the dragon Komatsu's knife comes from)) but doesn't cite chapters. The picture does appear to include a snake and a bird, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 28, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

Toriko kind of fascinates me from a cultural studies perspective. The homoerotic and homoromantic themes are so in your face that I have a hard time believing that any of it is unintentional - but since I'm not Japanese I dont have the cultural context required to understand it. It's a blatantly gay series running in a mainstream magazine marketed towards young boys within a cultural context that, until now, I understood to be less than accepting of homosexuals. I constantly feel like I'm missing some vital part of the puzzle.

It's definitely surprising in some ways. To quote the first Google result for "toriko homoerotic," "Y'know for a manga made by a guy who had his last manga end by sleeping with a 16 year old [female] prostitute, Toriko is pretty drat homoerotic sometimes." In general, though, at least some segments of Japanese culture are OK with homoerotic stuff as long as it's presented in a deliberately unrealistic way.

(Linked for being slightly NSFW)

http://i.imgur.com/yRvYvJn.jpg

It works much the same way with lesbians and yuri.

That doesn't fully explain Toriko, though, because the "manly" elements make it closer to "real homos" than fujoshi tend to like.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 13, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silento posted:

What's this from, pray tell? Is the rest of it as good as that page?

Not sure. I first saw it posted by someone else on SA (possibly in one of the PYF mock threads).

YourHealthyColon posted:

Isn't this most likely exactly it? - gourmet cells are fragments of some interstellar gourmet monster that eats worlds. It "seeded" earth with a giant gourmet asteroid so all sorts of delicious food would evolve by the time its main body arrived.

Have you been reading a certain web serial (the tesseract beings from Worm), or was this concept already a cliche before that? Not the planet-eating part (I already know that's a fairly common concept) but the seeding powers that would evolve and be reabsorbed part.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Kill la kill does too.

Can't believe I forgot that one.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Keep in mind that the Four Beasts destroyed a lot of stuff before the Meteor Spice hit.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I guess since Toriko is getting married, Komatsu gave up. Poor guy.

But seeing Komatsu and Nono acting like that is like seeing two movie stars absolutely giddy to meet each other. :3:

It seems pretty one-sided on Nono's part. Besides, Komatsu already has a female love interest in Melk II, who is a better character than Nono anyway.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Seebach posted:

Chichi doesn't dissapoint in this manga, unlike certain other Chichi's.

I've been reading early Dragon Ball lately, and it's kind of hilarious that she actually managed to injure Roshi.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Seebach posted:

You don't think Nono has a shot?

I'm kind of disappointed by the way she seems to have replaced Melk II as Komatsu's love interest despite not actually doing anything.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TNG posted:

What kinda blackmail does Kubo Tite have on Jump editors? BLEACH keeps going down and down in ranks and yet it keeps going on and on and on.

It's been on the final arc for a while. I predict it will end sometime in 2016.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, so Toriko and Starjun are twins?

Kind of a strange twist, because it makes so little difference at this point.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

:frogon:

I think the author is a goon, only way this makes sense.

He wouldn't be the first goon to be a convicted sex offender!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This
This is what I need after the travesty that is bleach
This is how you wrap up your shonen battle manga.

oh god yes straight into my veiinssss

Toriko at this point is only somewhat more coherent than Bleach, really. I miss when it was about people fighting bizarre animals and cooking impossibly delicious food, instead of the nonsense-metaphysics that it's focused on now.

The Eight Kings and the God frog are cool, but everything involving NEO, Back Channels, and glowing globs of gelatin is tedious.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 28, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Not actually sure what's left to happen in the final chapter. I guess it ends with Toriko and his friends going into space in search of new flavors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
FMA had a pretty good ending. On the other hand, Soul Eater also had a crappy ending.

• Locked thread