Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I have about three more weeks until sweet, sweet freedom from work and have been thinking about what type of game I want to run.

So far I think running another GM camp first would be a good idea. I've got all my streaming and recording stuff ready and have been testing it. No more two hour recordings without sound! I'm going to start working on dates for that maybe the last week of school when I don't have much going on.

Secondly, I want to run a game for a rotating cast of goons in a planar setting (basically whomever can make it on the night we play). I have neither ran a planar game nor ran a game with rotating players, so I'm sure it will be fine!

The idea of kitchen sink fantasy is really appealing to me now since I've been reading some old Planescape material (I never got to play it tabletop and didn't get out of the mortuary in the game). I have been digging into Planarch Codex and some other DW planes setting stuff, as well as real world mythology, theology, and culture studies to harvest some general ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
You know I'm on board to help out with GM camp.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
I was recently introduced to Races of the Farthest Reaches, which has a substantial number of racial options for interesting ideas. But also I like the bit about "Putting these races into your Dungeon World" at the start; having a collaborative session of trying to flesh out something like this is very appropriate - and also helps the players get invested in the setting, something that is important games like this.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
One of my players is playing a paladin and he took a Divine Favor at level 2 to let him pick up cleric spells, however he's told me outside the game that he's not keen on the way he prepares spells
"grants new spells of your choice who's level don't exceed your own cleric level+1 and none of which are higher level than your own cleric level"

His main grump is at cleric level 6 he can only take 1 level 5 spell and a level 1 spell, but he feels the obligation to take healing spells as a priority

His suggestion was as follows:

quote:

Suggestion: let me load up cleric level - spell level worth of spells in that level. E.g. 1 level 5, 3 level 3, 4 level 2 and 5 level 1s

I feel this is a bit extreme though

Does anyone have any cleric homebrews or suggestions for other ways to handle the spell restrictions without just telling him to suck it up and stop choosing healing spells?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

kaffo posted:

One of my players is playing a paladin and he took a Divine Favor at level 2 to let him pick up cleric spells, however he's told me outside the game that he's not keen on the way he prepares spells
"grants new spells of your choice who's level don't exceed your own cleric level+1 and none of which are higher level than your own cleric level"

His main grump is at cleric level 6 he can only take 1 level 5 spell and a level 1 spell, but he feels the obligation to take healing spells as a priority

His suggestion was as follows:

I feel this is a bit extreme though

Does anyone have any cleric homebrews or suggestions for other ways to handle the spell restrictions without just telling him to suck it up and stop choosing healing spells?

...they should just take Hospitaller and Perfect Hospitaller? That's basically 2/4 free spell levels from the cure wounds perspective.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

That'd put him at, what, level 6? I think it's pretty reasonable that something he poached for the cost of one 2-5 move doesn't give him effectively unlimited casting, particularly when Paladin has some of the silliest +numbers advances in the game and he's likely the best straight-up fighter as well.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Thanks goons, I'm glad you agree
I'll speak to him

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Ok folks, I think I'm ready to tackle this GM DW Summer Camp V.2.

Are people still interested? I am thinking about doing 2-3 days of camp at alternating times since people couldn't join last time.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I'm ready. I had a really bad time trying to run a DW game back in February and it's scared me off trying to run games since then. :(

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I'm game. Always glad to spread the practice around.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yup, I'm happy to help out again.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

I have a new format in mind that I think might serve better. Everyone would get a chance in the hot seat and it would still be a very casual, informative affair like the last one.

Let me play around with it a little and I'll start trying to get things set up soon.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I would be down for this.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

I haven't forgotten about it. Getting a new PC tomorrow (not specifically for this) and will put out some kind on interest survey soon. Just want to see if I need to do multiple days.

The more I think about this, would Discord work best?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Overemotional Robot posted:

I haven't forgotten about it. Getting a new PC tomorrow (not specifically for this) and will put out some kind on interest survey soon. Just want to see if I need to do multiple days.

The more I think about this, would Discord work best?

Voice has been pretty reliable there, yeah. Is it easy to record?

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Yeah, I would think. I've never actually done it though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

E: NVM, am a dumbass.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 3, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I made a playbook, maybe some of y'all wanna check it out idk.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
A 13-page Dungeon World playbook?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Golden Bee posted:

A 13-page Dungeon World playbook?

Is that too many?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Is that too many?

One page, front and back, MAYBE two if it's got something like a spell list because dungeon world.

Assuming standard business paper size.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

NinjaDebugger posted:

One page, front and back, MAYBE two if it's got something like a spell list because dungeon world.

Assuming standard business paper size.

:( I just wanted to put effort into my product.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Lurdiak posted:

:( I just wanted to put effort into my product.

i mean, you included stuff beyond JUST the playbook in there so i dont see a problem with it, but i haven't actually picked up and read the thing. having some items, a compendium class that pairs well with it, etc, is cool and useful for sure

if it was just the class people are used to these being pretty barebones, just the sheets for it and nothing more. but it's got other stuff so you're cool

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Lurdiak posted:

Is that too many?

i dont think its too bad unless its the playbook itself that's 13 pages. it sounds like you got a bunch of other stuff in there so i don't think its a problem, but overall you wanna keep the playbook down to a couple of pages.

whenever ive written them its been hard to prune the number of moves to fit in the space.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Only 2 pages of the playbook are the class itself, and it's in character sheet format. The rest is copyright information, items, the compendium class, flavor, artwork, and some GMing advice relating to some of the class's mechanics.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 5, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Lurdiak posted:

Only 2 pages of the playbook are the class itself, and it's in character sheet format. The rest is copyright information, items, the compendium class, flavor, artwork, and some GMing advice relating to some of the class's mechanics.

sounds like you're all good then. ive seen some playbooks where they go really hog wild and the thing is like 5 pages long with class abilities or complicated mechanics.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The vampire hunter is neat. it's in line with the core classes in a lot of ways, but has a good mix of flavor and keeps a solid niche. A few of the moves are '+1 to Basic move If' but generally they all work well with the established stuff. I also like seeing interaction with a lot of the mechanics that don't get played with by a lot of playbooks, like getting free carousing after hunts or better trained hirelings.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wrestlepig posted:

The vampire hunter is neat. it's in line with the core classes in a lot of ways, but has a good mix of flavor and keeps a solid niche. A few of the moves are '+1 to Basic move If' but generally they all work well with the established stuff. I also like seeing interaction with a lot of the mechanics that don't get played with by a lot of playbooks, like getting free carousing after hunts or better trained hirelings.

Thanks for your purchase, and I'm glad you like it. I also forgot to thank fellow goon Glazius for giving me feedback on the class last year, which really helped me refine the final design.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Lurdiak posted:

Gnome did the same thing withe 1e Fellowship expansions: you get the playbook, plus some new Threats, usually a new Set Piece or Destiny. It's fun.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
I have been thinking about the leveling up mechanics in Dungeon World recently and I think I may have made an assumption regarding how good stats can get in game.

But can someone just double check this for me in case I've just lost it entirely or am making some kind of obvious mistake, but assuming you start with a character at level 1 with the default array of 16/15/13/12/9/8, by the time you get to level 10 you can at most have gotten two stats to 18 and one to 17, if I am correct? For some reason I was under the impression it was 3 18s.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Infinite Oregano posted:

I have been thinking about the leveling up mechanics in Dungeon World recently and I think I may have made an assumption regarding how good stats can get in game.

But can someone just double check this for me in case I've just lost it entirely or am making some kind of obvious mistake, but assuming you start with a character at level 1 with the default array of 16/15/13/12/9/8, by the time you get to level 10 you can at most have gotten two stats to 18 and one to 17, if I am correct? For some reason I was under the impression it was 3 18s.

Yeah, you get 9 stat points but would need (2+3+5=)10 for 18/18/18.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In honor of the spookiest month, I've released a pay-what-you-want stripped down standalone class book for the Vampire Hunter that you can purchase here. This version only has the class itself, with no additional features. You too can join the 30 people who have purchased it for 0 dollars and 0 cents so far.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

In honor of the spookiest month, I've released a pay-what-you-want stripped down standalone class book for the Vampire Hunter that you can purchase here. This version only has the class itself, with no additional features. You too can join the 30 people who have purchased it for 0 dollars and 0 cents so far.

That looks neat! What features does the less stripped down version have?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Infinite Oregano posted:

That looks neat! What features does the less stripped down version have?

It features the Dhampyr compendium class, GMing advice on how to incorporate the vampire hunter class in your campaign, unique vampire and vampire hunter-themed equipment and magic items (complete with new keywords), drives and backgrounds as alternatives for race and alignment, basic vampire hunter lore, and unique art by Ian Johnston, who also drew the cover.

The playbook launched at 4.25 but the price has since been lowered to 3 dollars, which is a discount of over 25%!!! You can get it here.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Question: I’m getting back into DW and was wondering. Is anyone aware of or has made moves for sailing and traveling via ship?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Teonis posted:

Question: I’m getting back into DW and was wondering. Is anyone aware of or has made moves for sailing and traveling via ship?

Boing posted:

Some more progress:

I also want to add a Make Port move, to supplement the players' Make Camp move, where you can repair half the ship's damage if you spend a day moored near land, and all the ship's damage if you're in a proper harbour)

I'm happier with Batten Down the Hatches this way, and it ties into the Jury Rigging advance, but right now Anchors Aweigh is pretty awkward, because "you have to stop for provisions" doesn't mesh with provisions being an actual Ration-like item that you have. I'm also not sure about making the players choose between danger and slow-going - how does the move look with just those two options? Should there be a third one? Should it be 'choose only on a 7-9', or the GM always choosing?

Should Scurvy Dogs be more general? Boarding action is pretty specific and is restricted to the pirate lifestyle, and you probably want a move for having your crew deal with fighting sea monsters or whatever.

e: Also, thoughts on replacing all instances of 'Your ship' with 'You', i.e., 'You are fearsomely bedecked with cannons'? Too weird, or just right?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Anyone have suggestions for Netflix stuff to watch as prep? I might be playing this weekend and I have an hour or two during the week to digest some fantasy.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

PerniciousKnid posted:

Anyone have suggestions for Netflix stuff to watch as prep? I might be playing this weekend and I have an hour or two during the week to digest some fantasy.

Find a copy of Krull and see what fantasy can be.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I am terminally uncreative when it comes to such things. With that in mind does anyone have any good resources of magic items for Dungeon World?
I mean not that this means I can't make them up as I go along but I like to be able to have some on hand for just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm looking into DW (just got the rulebook yesterday), and am really liking what I'm seeing especially coming from 5e DnD. The hard part will be convincing some of my more crunch-minded players to give it a shot. One of my players would be totally on board, and I've been thinking of running a small DW thing just with him so we can familiarize ourselves with it.

Does DW work at all in a 1 player-1 GM situation? It seems like we'd have to kind of ignore the Bonds system, or maybe have them with some important/recurring NPCs/henchmen?